Home Sports Talk
Options

Ok, he's gone, where do we go from here?

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    No way Ozzie's name even enters the discusssion. He wouldn't last until May in Boston.

After the failed "let's make a splash and hire a big name" experiment, I think this time, they go with the best candidate. Who that is, I have no idea.
  • Options

<< <i>I think this time, they go with the best candidate. Who that is, I have no idea. >>

The obvious answer is John Farrell (the Mgr in Tor). I highly doubt that the Jays would let him go without some big compensation. I think he has a contract through the end of next season. The question about Farrell though - does he want the Boston gig?
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As predicted, Bobby V was T-O-A-S-T-E-D today...and rightfully so. His managerial and leadership style was lacking early on...I'd say from the scrum with Youkilis.

Only time will tell what's ahead for the Red Sox, from both a managerial and player perspective. Ownership simply could not put up with such a pathetic season ending...losing 8 in a row and finishing a jaw-dropping 26 games out of first place. Only four teams had a more dismal finish. Ponder that for a moment, TWENTY SIX games out!!!

I'd like to see Farrell, but doubt the Jays would let him go. No way is Ozzie gonna get the nod...maybe tons of money would edge Torre out of retirement...we can always dream, can't we?

Well, let's hope for the future, that's all we can do.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    From here, I think the team needs to focus on getting the best possible managers and coaches in place ASAP and start building a new culture in the clubhouse.

I don't think there is a whole lot they can or will do with players this offseason other than trying to re-sign Ortiz and Ross and maybe work on extensions for a few other guys (Ellsbury maybe?). There just aren't a lot of impact free agents that the Sox should pursue. The two top guys, Hamilton and Greinke, would not be good fits in Boston for various reasons. But acquiring starting pitching obviously has to be a primary goal this offseason even if its just more of the same one-year reclamation projects like Cook was.

On the upside, when's the last time you remember the Red Sox getting one of top 7 picks in the draft?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As predicted, Bobby V was T-O-A-S-T-E-D today...and rightfully so. His managerial and leadership style was lacking early on...I'd say from the scrum with Youkilis. >>

You are absolutely correct. Thing is, Bobby was right about Youkilis. He was/is out of shape, unprepared, and had a rotten year - even after leaving Boston.

Tabe
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I hope they are not stupid enough to bring him back at the kind of money he was making.
  • Options
    I can't see them bringing Youkilis back at this point, but if they wanted to bring him back as a first basemen it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Say what you will about his shape and declining skills, I always believed that he gave a damn about every single at bat and I'd rather have that on my team than guys that don't care and don't go about playing the game with everything they've got.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't see them bringing Youkilis back at this point, but if they wanted to bring him back as a first basemen it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Say what you will about his shape and declining skills, I always believed that he gave a damn about every single at bat and I'd rather have that on my team than guys that don't care and don't go about playing the game with everything they've got.[/q

Agreed, I dont want Youkilis back either but I will say that I would take him over a JD Drew type player or even an Adrien Gonzalez type guy, I want a guy who gets upset at himself for svcking.

Here is an idea, throw the job at Varitek. Tek in my opinion will be a manager at some point so why not now? He would be respected by these guys and would bring something to the table....

• Options
    No way is Youkilis coming back to Boston, that bridge is burned and gone. Management has a lot of work to do to make this team competitive again.

Was glad to see Tito picked up as manager of Cleveland. I'd bet a dollar to a donut he gets a big time standing ovation in Fenway on May 23rd.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd bet a dollar to a donut he gets a big time standing ovation in Fenway on May 23rd. >>

Make that a dozen dunkin donuts!! It'll be similar to Garciaparra & Youkilis. Everyone will be standing and cheering!!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry Bowa would be Bobby V II.

I predict they will get Farrell and ship Aceves to Toronto. I wish they would fire Lucinno and hire Billy Beane as President.
  • Options

<< <i>Larry Bowa would be Bobby V II.

I predict they will get Farrell and ship Aceves to Toronto. I wish they would fire Lucinno and hire Billy Beane as President. >>

Billy Beane would be a great president for the Red Sox . . . but after all these years as a GM, do you think he'd be too meddlesome as a president and not let Cherington do his thing?
  • Options
    What (if anything) does V-Tek add to the mix? I see very little. As Captain of the team, if players were really running the show during last year's debacle, why didn't he step up and kick arse? What advice would he possibly give to Cherrington?

Farrell gets my vote, but who knows what will happen over the winter. I doubt any early decision will be made. Don't know about Bowa...they all do the big rah, rah when they get hired, then the onion gets peeled back a little and off we go.
  • Options
    I still have a lot of respect for Tek. Afterall, as Captain, you only have so much power. You can lead by example and you can call players out when they go offline but it's not like the captain has any authority to bench players or make them change their workout habits, he doesn't have the ability to cut players or call up players with better attitudes, etc.

I think Tek brings with him a wealth of knowledge on how to call games, how to prepare catchers for games, how to work with pitchers, and he knows the organization and what it means to play in Boston as well as anyone. If there's one thing people should learn from the Bobby V debacle, it's that if you want to manage the Red Sox, you have to be able to handle the media attention without oh, say, threating to punch talk show hosts in the mouth.
  • Options
    I have a bit of a different view on Tek...we now know that players...Beckett, Lester etal were in the clubhouse eating chicken, drinking beer and playing video games while their teammates were on the field and not doing so well. Tek, as Captain of the team, while not having "hire/fire" authority, should have been in the clubhouse raising hell and getting those guys out to at least the dugout. He certainly had the authority to hold a player's only closed door meeting with his teammates and reading them the riot act about professionalism.

You have a much higher opinion of Tek than I do. He was a good catcher in his day, but as far as becoming an administrator of sorts, only time will tell. As a "Special Assistant" to the GM, I doubt he'll be assisting the new manager with the calling of any games, strategy or anything like that. If his role were as an "Assistant Manager", then, perhaps he'd be doing some of those things you eluded to. Maybe in Spring training his role may be a bit different, but when the next 162 start, he's gonna be up in the "box" viewing the game with the other privileged people of the inner circle of management.