Home Sports Talk

Ok, he's gone, where do we go from here?

Comments

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm having a hard time accepting the people that continue to defend Valentine. I'm not saying he deserves all the blame for being under .500 (and probably only deserves a small slice of the pie), but this idea that he was going to be some kind of savior for this team is just laughable. The guy is a clown. Like everything else at Fenway these days, he was a PR move, which completely backfired.

Ellsbury's trade value will never be as high as it was as it was at the trade deadline, since he could have helped a team both this season and next. Plus, if he continues this season at the whopping .660 OPS he has now, nobody will know which is the real Jacoby Ellsbury. The one who had one great season in 2011, or the one who has sandwiched that one great season with 4 mediocre ones. I tend to think it is the latter.

I think Lester is salvagable, and don't particularly want to trade him, but if a Lester/Ellsbury combo could bring a King Felix, or someone like that, I'd do it in a second.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im reading and hearing that...

Adrian Gonzalez has been claimed off waivers by the Dodgers

Lester, Ellsbury along with Beckett are on waivers.

image Tear the whole thing down and start from scratch
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>image Tear the whole thing down and start from scratch >>

I agree. Espeically if by "start from scratch" you mean start with Pedroia. image
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Dodgers just claimed Beckett on wavers too. Smells like a "If you want to get Adrian, you MUST take Beckett."
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    I'm still hoping they'll also eventually claim Crawford too.

<< <i>I'm still hoping they'll also eventually claim Crawford too. >>

As one person put it... the Dodgers are finally living Frank McCourt's dream of buying the Red Sox.

Edit to add:

ESPNBoston.com Red Sox reporter Gordon Edes via twitter: "Blockbuster: red Sox, Dodgers working on deal that would send AGon, Crawford, Beckett and Punto to LA. Hurdles remain, but closing in"

The hurdle might be Fenway Park's parking lot. The Dodgers are currently leasing their parking lot from the previous team owner Frank McCourt. image

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smells like fiction, but would clear about sixty million a year in salary.
    Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com confirms, says a deal is close, but Sox are also sending cash.

can LA take Larry Lucchino too? He's a significant part of the baseball operations problem
    This will be huge if they can unload here, not that any of these guys give a crap but if there is one teeny weeny bit of "wow I cant believe they are getting rid of me" thought running through their minds it will be an extra bonus.

• Shocked at how little the return (reported) seems to be. Either way its nice to see the Sox being the Sox says this Angels fan/NYer

<< <i>Shocked at how little the return (reported) seems to be. Either way its nice to see the Sox being the Sox says this Angels fan/NYer >>

No reason to be shocked, we are not looking to get rid of this trash for other big money guys its called a "House cleaning" image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    This is great news!

We get rid of some trash that needed to go.

Beckett and Crawford should do well in the NL where there is not so much pressure on them.

We sure did not want them and they did not want us.

Just to get out from under the burden of those 3 big contracts is a plus.

We will see what the prospects we are getting will do in coming years.

This is the way to go as far as I am concerned.
    Good news for Red Sox Nation!

Im ecstatic we got a chance to recover from this debacle! image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this mega-trade get the Sox into the post-season?
    36 games left, can they go 29 n 7 to get to 89 wins?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good news for Red Sox Nation!

Im ecstatic we got a chance to recover from this debacle! image >>

Unloading that Crawford contract is HUGE. We were looking at 5 more years of JD-Drew-like misery.
  • mgugs46mgugs46 Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Thank god for the LA Dodgers
    Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez
    What do you guys think happens next? Will they be able to give Ellsbury enough money to change his mind and have him stay in Boston a few more years or are they going to let him walk too?

<< <i>What do you guys think happens next? Will they be able to give Ellsbury enough money to change his mind and have him stay in Boston a few more years or are they going to let him walk too? >>

I dont really care if they let him walk to be honest, the guy is too injury prone and I highly doubt he will ever have another MVP calibre season.

Im not kidding when I say I am ecstatic that they are ripping this trash heap down, since news broke about this trade I been posting away here and Im back to being optimistic about the future of the Sox!
    With Boras as his manager I doubt if he signs with the Red Sox. Trade him now while they can get something for him.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the drama goes on and on...

Alfredo Aceves suspended 3 games

Updated: August 25, 2012, 9:57 PM ET
    By Tony Lee | Special to ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox reliever Alfredo Aceves has been suspended three games by the club for conduct detrimental to the team.

The organization made the announcement during Saturday night's game against Kansas City. According to the release, Aceves began serving the suspension Saturday.

Aceves was in the clubhouse prior to the game. The right-hander gave up five runs in one-plus inning in the wild 14-13 loss to the Angels on Thursday, after which he showed some anger, both with himself and the team, in a media scrum. There were rumblings that Andrew Bailey, who recently returned from thumb surgery, will be taking over the closer's role from Aceves.

Bailey got the save in a 4-3 win over the Royals on Friday. Aceves was seen angrily leaving manager Bobby Valentine's office after that game.

Sources said Saturday that the suspension was the result of Aceves' insisting on meeting with GM Ben Cherington on Saturday to voice his displeasure over not closing. Cherington declined to meet with him, saying he was too busy. Aceves then "disappeared" from the ballpark, and subsequently was suspended.

Tony Lee is a regular contributor to ESPNBoston.com. Information from contributor Louise Cornetta was used in this report.

Another hot-head that needs to go.

<< <i>Another hot-head that needs to go. >>

I disagree, at least he shows some godam passion, unlike the load we just got rid of who couldnt care less.
    I applaud Cherington's move. The pic of Beckett, A-Gon and Punto in the private jet did not look like one of unhappy travelers...point is, they were glad to go as much as we were glad to see them go. Clearly a rebuilding move once the numbers showed there was no hope for this season. I was most happy to see Carl go, what a BUST!!! Already the 2013 season is looking better.

Why no talk of DiceK? Surely he has tanked to the point he should go as well.

As for Aceves, he needs to chill and become a contributing member of the team. He knew Bailey was the closer when he got well...so Aceves could easily be the set up guy, or play the roll your manager wants you to play. Don't become a pain in the arse just because your ego got bruised. With a 2-8 record, NO saves and a 4.60 ERA, I'd be quiet as a clam. It isn't like he's Mariano Rivera and has that much to offer. Now you have Cherington's attention and could well be on the block at some point. Pulling a childish disappearing act is pretty dumb. Get a clue Aceves, they're paying you $1.2m.
    This sort of action by Aceves is just why the Yankees let him go.

Dice will be starting Monday.

He has not gone away yet and decided he is happy in Boston.

I would be happy in Boston too if I made that kind of money for doing what he does.

• I have that same euphoria that I felt when my divorce was final!!!! Still enjoying the single life - and will continue to do so. I sure hope the Sox don't get into another bad marriage with unproductive players with bad contracts.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why no talk of DiceK? Surely he has tanked to the point he should go as well.
    >>

I believe DiceK is in the last year of his contract. If he pitches well the rest of the season and wants to hang around, it might make sense to sign him to a $3 million one year deal as a #5 starter.
    Dice K just got put on waivers. I guess he pitched too good yesterday and someone may want him (like the Dodgers).

<< <i>Dice K just got put on waivers. I guess he pitched too good yesterday and someone may want him (like the Dodgers). >>

Pitcher Jon Lester was claimed during the waiver process, according to FoxSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi.

The team that claimed Lester is not known at this time. The Red Sox now have a couple different options. They can pull Lester off waivers and keep him, work out a deal with the team that claimed him or let him go to the team that claimed him.

The third option is typically reserved for players who have unreasonable contracts. While Lester is scheduled to make $11.625 million next season, and has a $13 million option for 2014, that's hardly an unruly deal. Letting Lester go for nothing is probably not the route the Red Sox will take.

Lester has struggled his season, but his peripherals are pretty good. He has a 5.01 ERA, but a 3.98 FIP in 169 innings this year. He's a good candidate to improve down the stretch.

Lester's been terrible this year for sure, but unless the unnamed team could provide someone great in return, I don't think that now is a good time to trade him away. First off, his trade value has never been lower. Second, his contract isn't that bad. Third, that just means the Red Sox would have to find one more starting pitcher for next year and there aren't a lot of arms out there.

I think he bounces back next year. I don't know how good he'll be, but he can't be this bad again. Can he?
    Lester's record for 2012 is 8-11, ERA 5.01. Being paid $7.625m per season does not show me bang for buck. He, one of the fried chicken and beer drinkers in the clubhouse while the team was tanking, can go IMO. Sadly, we can't dump Lackluster, who is being paid a salary that is beyond obscene.

I'm happy to see Cherrington cleaning house. I was thrilled to see two of the four get tossed to LA.

Maybe 2013 has some potential. I suspect more to come.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Not to kick the team or the Red Sox nation while they're down but tonight's Red Sox/ A's game was probably the first time this season I've really watched the Red Sox play an entire game and they did not look good at all.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>Not to kick the team or the Red Sox nation while they're down but tonight's Red Sox/ A's game was probably the first time this season I've really watched the Red Sox play an entire game and they did not look good at all. >>

lucky for me the game was on the left coast. I watched the first inning, noted that Cook's "sinker" was tending a bit up, had to go to sleep after that. Little did I know that I had seen the best part of the game already
    I watched the 1st inning and a half before shutting it off and went in to my computer room and listened to the next 5 innings while looking through formative years rolls and finally shut that off too. I guess we need a LITTLE improvment this winter and next and the next.
    I live on the west coast and I watched more of that game than I should have. Remember when the A's were an easy game on the schedule?
    Chad...

If you moved to the east coast you'd fall asleep like the rest of us by the 2nd inning, thus avoiding the pain and disappointment. image

Hope all is well with you and yours on that side.

Al
    Al, your in luck today though, it starts an hour earlier so you can probably get in 5 innings of misery.
    You guys are off your rockers watching these guys, as far as Im concerned the only Red Sox watching I do is in the news.

Even though this year has been a joke I am absolutely happy about getting rid of all that wasted payroll and now consider this season a success.
  • Although the team is terrible as it is now, part of me wants to root for this team a whole lot more than I did a month ago. I want to watch guys like Ciriaco and Iglesias contribute. I want to see how Pedroia handles things as the undisputed leader on the field. I want to see if Ellsbury can regain his success from last year . . . This reminds me of watching the Red Sox way back when.
    Well, now that you have had a chance to share our pain tonight, good night!
    I'm like Perkdog...haven't watched a complete game in a long time now, maybe an inning here and there.

Truly a waste of time...15 out and they were toast long ago.

• << <i>I'm like Perkdog...haven't watched a complete game in a long time now, maybe an inning here and there.

Truly a waste of time...15 out and they were toast long ago. >>

Sadly, I agree. I miss 2004.
    Time to close this thread!
    John Henry has the magic touch these days...even Liverpool is affected as they are getting creamed by Arsenal, 2-0
  • The Sawx are making their 2nd trip to Seattle this Labor Day. I normally go to every game - as this is the only chance I get to see them live. I am going to the Monday day game - I know that for sure. I MIGHT go one more - but I highly doubt it. I think I'd rather watch the PawSox - which is pretty much what I'll be getting. We are back to the seasons of that good ole' phrase - wait til next year.
    Better your time spent enjoying the Victoria Clipper and a day in Canada than being disappointed by the inept play of the once mighty Red Sox.

Having once taken this trip, I must say it was pretty cool. Other than the hard as$ at the point of entry, I found the Canadians super nice and Victoria as well. I'd pass on the Empress though, better time spent elsewhere.

But, if you must, enjoy the game.
    John Henry met with Bobby V in Seattle. Claims the trip was planned a month or so ago...sure thing John and BTW, we're expecting 2 feet of snow in Atlanta this week. Henry claims (according to Cherington) that it's a "fact finding" trip. Henry had breakfast with Bobby...this is known as "The Last Breakfast". Henry also met with some players...fluff is needed to cover the real deal. Does John Henry really need to fly some 3,000 miles for a "fact finding" mission? All he needs to do is watch TV, read the Boston Globe, or some other very simple method to obtain the bad news of a dismal season. Why on earth would you take a 6,000 mile round trip from Boston to have breakfast? I suspect Bobby V was drinking some strong coffee, with a dose of maalox

I'll go out on a bit of a limb here...Bobby V is toast, just a matter of letting this pathetic season run its course, which I'm sure many fans wish it would end tomorrow.

I say make an offer to John Farrell that can snag him away from Toronto...or offer the moon to Joe Torre. Bobby V's days are numbered.

One of the worst seasons I have ever witnessed, and that goes back a long, LONG way, like the early 50s.
    This is the worst I have ever witnessed also and I go back to the early 50's too.

It was a complete disgrace and its not over yet.
    I'm all for canning Lucchino and giving Cherington the power to decide on baseball operations decisions within financial parameters set by the owners. Valentine isn't the GM's choice, it was Lucchino's choice. Give the GM the club again and I believe good things will result.