Home Sports Talk

Ok, he's gone, where do we go from here?

Comments

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Ross has been a savior. And the 8th inning was a perfect example of why the team really needs Bard to accept his role as the best bullpen arm on the team.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad for the "W"
  • mgugs46mgugs46 Posts: 217 ✭✭
    On the bright side, the next 20 games or so are all against sub par teams ... So we have that going for us. In all fairness, while 4-10 (now 5-10) is unacceptable, would anyone have been surprised by a 6-8 or 7-7 record against Detroit, Texas, TB, NYY and the Jays?
    Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the big bulb has come on that Bard is most valuable in the bullpen as closer. They will have to have a chat with him about the perception of jerking him around...starter, closer, one inning, starter, closer...

Perhaps the ton of money being paid to non-active players (Crawford, uber-toad, DiceK, Jenks and Bailey), which totals $56.4m, weighed heavily on the attempts to get more pitching. Dunno.

Maybe they'll turn the corner soon with the upcoming schedule.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Can’t wait for lackey to come back next year and pitch for the major league minimum!!!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>Can’t wait for lackey to come back next year and pitch for the major league minimum!!! >>

actually its an option for 2015...

Undergoing elbow surgery also triggers a 2015 option in his contract for the MLB minimum salary, so the Red Sox just got themselves another year of Lackey and more importantly are now able to stretch his contract over another season to lessen their luxury tax figures.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any news on Crawfords return?

Im really hoping he brings something to the table this year....image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

How about the Red Sox just stay in Minnesota for the rest of the season.
    Im liking Aviles
    I think Beckett was very lucky to have not been tossed after his little tirade in the first inning. Easy to lip read his trashing of the ump...whether the ump made some questionable calls or not, Beckett was clearly out of line.

I also think we are enjoying a bit of a smooth sailing time, but I think the bullpen and closer issue must be resolved if we are to have a shot at rescuing this season. Mediocrity coming out of the pen in the 6th or 7th inning can and will quickly find a game going south.

We're still in a deep hole IMO.
    My hope is that the Sox will call up Cook before May 1st which, I guess, is the deadline to do so before he becomes a free agent. And then they just need to tell Bard that he's either the setup guy or the closer until Bailey comes back.
    evidently, Crawford is getting a second opinion on his elbow. But can you imagine Crawford having done as well as Ross has done? I can't either. Can't imagine Crawford doing 75% of the job Ross has done.
    So DiceK is pitching at the Portland Seadogs (Porland, Maine) today. The hope is that he's back in the rotation in a month or so. Surely this must figure into management's decision about the closer situation. Perhaps they're thinking they can limp along, roll the dice (no pun intended) and if DiceK does work out, Aceves will be the setup guy then Bard the official closer.

No info on Bailey, but last I heard it was still a long way off for him.

As for Crawford, the jury is still out. Can he perform as well as Ross? Dunno, but like Barndog, I'm kinda liking Ross...and toss Aviles in there too. I would think it very tough if not impossible to trade Crawford, given his massive $$$ contract.

BTW, have you guys checked out the AL East standings? Kinda weird to see everybody at 10-7 above us...we of course at 6-10.

As I plowed through a bunch of links and stories the other day at RedSox.com...it was interesting to read about the Varitek-Heidi thing and how Varitek had Nick Green by the throat in the clubhouse over Nick scooping his lady during a Tek charity event. The two were separated by teammates before any damage was done. I guess the point here is "never get your honey where you make your money"...never works out. I of course, during my working and single days, strictly adhered to this motto!!! image

Overall, we are still in a fuzzy zone, but appear to be on our way to recovery. Let's hope the bats continue and the pitching as well. DiceK may be the wildcard in all this...we'll see.
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Between DiceK, Beckett, and the rest of that staff, we're in for many long nights.
    Paul

<< <i>Im liking Aviles >>

This bullpen is atrocious

Bard really needs to be the closer. Aceves is horrendous.
    Voice mail to all bullpen members (not for Bard or Aceves)...pls make sure you get on the correct bus today. The "team bus" is for winners and will be so designated. That bus will be leaving at 11AM for the airport and flight to Chicago.

The "other" bus is for LOOOOOOOOZERS, it'll be driven by uber-toad and you will see toad-Timlin giving you directions. This bus is going to Bismarck, North Dakota will you are all being reassigned to a Pop Warner ballclub. Pls leave all Red Sox related uniforms, IDs and equipment on the bus. Orange jumpsuits will be provided in each seat with "IMA LOOZER" emblazoned on the back. You are all officially designated for assignment...think the Far East.

You guys suck, there is no other way to say it.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

caught the last few innings about 3am after the b's game last night..looked ugly
    FIRST guy out of the pen is Scott Atchison...you have problems. Wow, there really are no other alternatives. Rich Hill needs to recover ASAP. The Sox now own the kind of bullpen you love for your team to face. Patience for five or six innings and get the starters' pitch counts up there and milk and honey flows freely when the Sox go to the pen.
    Good to see Youk come up with a big hit, lets hope 9-3 is a good enough lead for our pen....

Tazawa looked great tonight ! Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

<< <i>Tazawa looked great tonight ! Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel. >>

...and it isnt an oncoming train
    STILL cellar dwellers, but four ina row is a start

looks like Tampa has had FIVE in a row sheesh
    We won 5 in a row now image
    Bard and Albers looked good tonight.
    If Bard keeps pitching like that it will be hard to justify putting back in the bullpen where he belongs. image

I think he is trying to solidify his position.

We still have Cook almost ready to come up as well.

Don't forget Rich Hill and Tazawa seem to be coming along pretty good and Aceves just has to learn not to overthrow and he should be ok.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    The secret is to avoid the 7 or so teams in the AL that are better than us.
    Capecards
    Are they really better than us or are we just starting to get the right players in the right places?
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good to see Youk come up with a big hit, lets hope 9-3 is a good enough lead for our pen.... >>

Are they playing the Yanks?image
    Paul

Time for Buchholz to head for the bullpen and give someone a chance that can pitch.
    Nice rally in the ninth. Too bad it fell short
    Wow we signed Mark Prior, what a blast from the past! He Might be one of the few MLB players to be more fragile than Ellsbury.....
    5 doubles and 11 LOBs and we lose 4-2.

Kinda reminded me of an airshow I went to last Saturday. Patty Wagstaff doing some incredible stuff and one was flying straight up until gravity took over and she slid backwards towards the ground.

The Orioles can really put us into a very deep hole...not that we aren't already there.

BTW, the airshow also had an F22 Raptor...if ever you get the chance, don't miss seeing that thing fly. The pilot was once at 50k feet and popped a sonic boom, then began his demonstration, was really was an amazing performance. Google airshows 2012...if one is near you DO IT !! Blue Angels were pretty cool as well in F18s.
    on the bright side, Marlon Byrd (who can't bunt for $%^&) has a higher slugging percentage than Albert Pujols. image
    Memo to Adrian...

Yo Adrian, you are getting paid ONE HUNDRED THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS PER GAME !!!

You better start cranking up the bat swing before you start hearing mega boos from the Fenway Faithful.

The entire Red Sox organization is in turmoil...bring up this guy, oh my back had a twitch, send down this guy, option this guy, take it easy with DiceK, sign a has been (Prior) who will provide NADA, keep moving all the chess pieces here and there. Pretty soon it's gonna be checkmate!!
    but wasn't it nice to finally see Will Middlebrooks in Fenway? He was tearing it up in AAA and goes 2 for 3 with a walk and stolen base. Great debut. If he keeps it up, guess whose $13 million option won't be picked up after the season!

Get out from under by the trade deadline.

They have a lot of players that need to go.

I don't need to mention them as everyone knows who they are.

It all comes down to the owner who was willing to let Epstein spend like a drunken sailor to win championships.

The only problem with that is Epstein did not know how to pick the right players.

There is no glue to hold this group of players together.

Now it's time to clean house and eat a lot of payroll to get rid of them.

Cherington & Valentine are not responsible for this fiasco but they will bear the brunt of it because they are in charge now.

[q

The only problem with that is Epstein did not know how to pick the right players.

There is no glue to hold this group of players together.

. >>

and we call them YANKEES
    supposedly, Epstein picked up Jose Bautista off of the waiver wire in 2009 but Sox ownership nixed it.
    Well, here we go...

25 games in, 7 games out of first and locked into last place. The loss last night was beyond PATHETIC. 10...TEN LOBs (again). I lost track of the RISP stat, but the Red Sox had more than a few shots at locking this game up and they simply let it slip away.

Oh, and somebody needs to clue in Lester that his little personal tirade is being watched by millions, who can easily read lips. Blame yourself bozo, you threw the baseballs !!

Let's see...Red Sox payroll $146,371,619...Oriole's payroll $80,804,000. So, John Henry has ponied up $22,588,213 so far. Not a very good ROI !!!

Face it guys, we do not have a championship team. They are rapidly licking a lot of red off my candy. They are also on my TV today, but I'm not gonna watch.

Poor pitching, poor relieving, poor bats, no key hits, no cohesive team play = no playoffs.
    I will be at the game today. I hope randomness smiles on them today and they actually hit well and pitch decently.
    wow, this team really sucks insofar as starting pitching is concerned. The bullpen is shaping up and doing ok as of late. I saw just ONE player running hard to first base every time. No need to mention the name. The "lollygagging" evidence by the multimillionaires is atrocious.
    Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
    You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away

Hide the children !!! The implosion is in high blower !!

Don't like Paul Simon? Well, we can help ya there...Turn out the lights the party's over
    They say that all good things must end
    Call it a night the party's over
    And tomorrow starts the same old thing again

RIP Dandy Don

I hereby declare my Red Sox as official T-O-A-S-T.

Crap you can't make up !!!

After the Red Sox couldn't hang on to three different leads against the Orioles on Friday night, eventually losing, 6-4, in 13 innings, their record at Fenway Park this season fell to 4-8. But manager Bobby Valentine believes his team is actually playing quite well in its home park, despite the won-loss record.

Oh, this is cool...May is "Memorable Moments Month"

Nope, ain't gonna watch 'em today either.
    Valentine NEVER should have allowed Cook to have returned after that injury.

I don't care how used up the bullpen was!

I stopped watching at that point.
  • this team lacks heart and guidance.
    Valentine will not last the year.
    tied up, but not able to do anything ..except for lose in 17 innings

this is getting pathetic
    really? They can't even hit a batting practice quality pitcher? Really?
    A-Gon 0-8

LOBs - 11

Pedroia for Captain hands down.

Sad days for us guys, very, very sad days. This loss will sting for a VERY long time. A somber ride to Kansas City.