Home Sports Talk
Options

Ok, he's gone, where do we go from here?

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>crybaby millionaires, the whole lot of them: professional athletes, owners, coaches, managers. "Waah, waah, waah, he said something bad about me"

When someone appears to be mailing it in, Valentine is expected to demonstrate by his employers that he is not Terry Francoma

Hey Barn...I don't see it this way. As I understand it, Valentine made his comments to a media meeting. The follow-up comments were made primarily by Pedroia and others who totally supported Youkilis. Youkilis (as anybody would), went to the boss to ask "what's this?" in a closed door meeting. Valentine then apologized and made the comment he wasn't sure if Youkilis accepted it. I certainly don't think that when Valentine has an observation that he "thinks" someone is mailing it in, that upper management expects him to be a hard ass. Or, in your words, "not Terry Francona"...I seriously doubt that Youkilis is mailing anything in, maybe in a bit of a slump, but surely not mailing it in. As for his tossing his helmet in the dugout in the past, that I think got old last year with players...thus, Youkilis was trying to tone down his emotions and not pulling a nutty, which obviously gets old quickly.

I don't think Youkilis was doing the waah, waah, merely commenting on Valentine's claims and/or statements as to his performance. I would think it would be anti-team to bust people left and right when Valentine has the urge to do so when he thinks he sees something.

As for the C on Pedroia's uniform, I' vote for that, he is the glue of the team. >>

all the drama associated with today's professional sports is just too much for me. I'm not in it for the drama, I'm in it for the sport. I will occasionally have the sound on when Remy and Orsillo are talking, but mostly not. When I watch the Bruins and the Patriots, especially network coverage, the sound is off. I really don't care for the drama the announcers try to interject into an otherwise wonderful game. As for the Celtics and all of the NBA, after the strike they are all dead to me.
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    I LOVE that the locker room is completely fractured after two weeks. The us against Bobby Valentine act has already started. Francona has to be feeling good these days.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I LOVE that the locker room is completely fractured after two weeks. The us against Bobby Valentine act has already started. Francona has to be feeling good these days. >>

I wouldnt say "Completely fractured" just yet...
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Lester not lookin so hot
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    On many fronts I thought this was the worst game of the year. Ugly from start to finish and it pretty much took care of that good feeling I had after the team took 3 of 4 from the Rays.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Nobody is looking good tonight!

I turned if off early and watched O'reilly and Hannity.

I just looked at the score now and am not sorry I turned it off.

I would not want to be one of the season ticket holders at this point.

Or even worse someone who just bought somebody's season ticket for big-g-g-g-g money.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news...

None I can think of. Well, it is raining in Atlanta, and we need it badly.

The bad news...

Lester looked lost and is now 0-2.
    We have to play the Rangers 7 more times.
    We're stuck in last place.
    The Yankees are coming to Fenway next.
    Far too many bats were ice cold yesterday, of course Pedroia was the only bright spot AGAIN.
    Losing 18-3 at home ain't pretty.

• Options
    BTW, am I missing something? I haven't seen the CITGO sign in Kenmore Square. Is it still there and I'm just missing it, or is it gone?
  • Options
    Disregard my inquiry about the Citgo sign...managed to see it under the Sports Authority sign. I couldn't imgaine that thing being taken down.

Well, another loser tonight...crazy stuff !!!
  • Options
    Francona will attend the Friday celebration activities at Fenway.

I hope he gets a loud and long-lasting standing ovation !!!
  • Options
    3:05 today, should be a fun watch with 1912 uni's

LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN RUNS
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    NY Times front page says maybe the Red Sox just are not that good anymore.

Them's fightin' words! (but maybe true)
    Capecards
  • Options
    WOW, I am speechless, what a celebration~
  • Options
    A great day in Boston !!! The celebration was super...if I had one comment, it would be that I wish the center field camera had caught the names on the back of the jerseys as the players came out. I'm from old school days (50s). I did catch Kemmerer and Delock among the crowd.

Odd that Schilling was absent, as was Boggs.

Nice ovation for Tito !!
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭

<< <i>A great day in Boston !!! The celebration was super...if I had one comment, it would be that I wish the center field camera had caught the names on the back of the jerseys as the players came out. I'm from old school days (50s). I did catch Kemmerer and Delock among the crowd.

Odd that Schilling was absent, as was Boggs.

Nice ovation for Tito !! >>

Nice celebration!! Yeah those guys were glaring omissions! Not a Sox fan by any stretch, but it actually brought a tear to my eye!! Just wonder how people would have reacted to Clemens or Manny!! Surely there were many rails on hand they would have been run out on!!! Thought they would have gotten Neil Diamond to perform his song too.....
  • Options
    Nice celebration!! Yeah those guys were glaring omissions! Not a Sox fan by any stretch, but it actually brought a tear to my eye!! Just wonder how people would have reacted to Clemens or Manny!! Surely there were many rails on hand they would have been run out on!!! Thought they would have gotten Neil Diamond to perform his song too.....

I think Clemens may have gotten a mixed reaction, but more boos than cheers. As for Manny, I think he wouldh've gotten about the same. I think they both shot themselves in the foot big time. Clemens with the steroid mess and Mindy McCreary thing...Manny, who really dissed the team towards the end with several of his stupid antics.

Neil Diamond...well, when the camera showed Caroline Kennedy as the song played, looked to me like she didnt' even know the words. I wouldh've preferred Neil Diamond over the Pops. Personally, I didn't get the Pops playing what they played, other than the National Anthem, the other two musical arrangements seemed kinda out of place.

The person who wasn't there, but wouldh've have CLEARLY gotten the biggest ovation was Dave Roberts. If he had been called out on the steal at second base, there wouldh've been no 2004 WS win. He is HUGE in Boston, too bad he is with another team and could not attend. OTOH, it would have been cool had they allowed him just this one day to attend. He is forever linked to Boston and is an icon in the eyes of Red Sox Nation.

I think Schilling sent in a message about Studio 38 committments (whatever that is) and that made it impossible to attend. Seems to be Mr. Bloody Sock couldh've gotten a one day pass to attend such an historic event. No excuse for Boggs that I've read.

Overall, a great day (other than the game's outcome)...again, wish they had showed the backs of the jerseys to see who was who...kinda looked like a rushed deal towards the end.

• Options
    I agree that it could have been better planned. They should have had Orsillo announce each and every one as they came out. Orsillo didn't even know who most of them were and even I who have watched them for 60 or so years did not recognize a lot of them. They have gotten a lot older just like me.
  • Options
    Lenny Clarke was great, as always, int he announcer booth as well!
  • Options
    Wow, when was the bullpen this terrible? The 'pen has often been very bad, but this year? Yuck
  • Options
    9 to 0 now 9 to 8 . wow!!!

Turn out the lights the party's over 14 to 9 now and the tv is off.
  • Options
    This is beyond bad, this is gonna sting for a long, long time...HISTORIC IMPLOSION at Fenway.

Other than the celebration yesterday, this has got to be one of the worst week's in Red Sox history. Oh yeah, we get the Yankees again tomorrow night, and just to put a little whipped cream on the pie, Terry Francona will be the ESPN game analyst.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bizzarro.

I am almost speechless, if I keep shaking my head I'll get a mirgraine.

• Options

ummm did Valentine take out Dubront after 6 scoreless??? MORON, no wonder why no other team would touch him with a 10 foot pole
  • Options
    This is getting stupid
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭
    Bringing in Aceves to start the 8th was a panic move, pure and simple.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options

<< <i>image

ummm did Valentine take out Dubront after 6 scoreless??? MORON, no wonder why no other team would touch him with a 10 foot pole >>

only a couple teams in the league are getting this right...the Sox are not one of those teams. That magic 100 pitch count is killing good pitching. I think Dubront was at 99, give or take. Seems to me that if you keep people limited to about 100, that will all they will ever be good for AND they will tire just in time to reach 100. Stretch them out, expect more, and the body will adapt. Tiant was just getting warm at a hundred. This micro management of pitch count is misguided mismanagement.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image

ummm did Valentine take out Dubront after 6 scoreless??? MORON, no wonder why no other team would touch him with a 10 foot pole >>

only a couple teams in the league are getting this right...the Sox are not one of those teams. That magic 100 pitch count is killing good pitching. I think Dubront was at 99, give or take. Seems to me that if you keep people limited to about 100, that will all they will ever be good for AND they will tire just in time to reach 100. Stretch them out, expect more, and the body will adapt. Tiant was just getting warm at a hundred. This micro management of pitch count is misguided mismanagement. >>

I agree, Verlander threw 132 pitches in a complete game win against the Royals. He's one of the few that is accustomed to going well over 100 pitches.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    One good thing the Red Sox have going for them in tonight's game !!!

HEAVY RAIN predicted.
  • Options

<< <i>One good thing the Red Sox have going for them in tonight's game !!!

HEAVY RAIN predicted. >>

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    A rain day will be a good thing
  • Options
    I began to post a list of attendees at the Friday celebration...however, the myopic board police cited a name and would not allow the post unless I took out the "WORD". This is beyond STUPID

If you go to RedSox.com you will find the list.

Oh, the players name ??? Garry Hanco$k. Big Brother needs to get a clue, that's his name!!!

I went to High School with a guy named Jim Fuchs and another named Sarah Hoar. Yup, they had some fun with those two.
  • Options
    Ronald Garry Hancock
  • Options
    Wouldnt let me do that either...

You have a forbidden word in your message post. Please click the back button in your browser and remove this word from your post. The words that are forbidden are highlighted for you.

hanco*k

• Options
    Horrible loss.

Time to bring back Wakefield.
    Capecards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

only a couple teams in the league are getting this right...the Sox are not one of those teams. That magic 100 pitch count is killing good pitching. I think Dubront was at 99, give or take. Seems to me that if you keep people limited to about 100, that will all they will ever be good for AND they will tire just in time to reach 100. Stretch them out, expect more, and the body will adapt. Tiant was just getting warm at a hundred. This micro management of pitch count is misguided mismanagement. >>

I couldn't agree more with this.

On another note, I have to say that I think the Marlon Byrd for Michael Bowden trade is absolutely horrible. Clearly this team needs bullpen help a lot more than it needs a past-his-prime malcontent outfielder. I just don't get it, but I bet Theo is giddy about pulling this one off.
  • Options
    Mother Nature delivers temporary mercy to the Red Sox...

game postponed
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Well, It was down to Valentine vs Lamont for the manager job. Lamont is too subdued and professional for that town. They went for the loudmouth with the flair for dramatic. That was a shocking comeback though. Not that I EVER like seeing the Yankees win.....
  • Options

<< <i>Horrible loss.

Time to bring back Wakefield. >>

Or maybe Yaz.

Is Bobby Doerr still alive?
    Capecards
  • Options
    Anybody else wondering if the Sox pitchers are suffering from not having Varitek's knowledge behind the plate?
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody else wondering if the Sox pitchers are suffering from not having Varitek's knowledge behind the plate? >>

nope. They had "Varitek's knowledge" last September. Did a world of good then too. I think it is mostly that they have just really, really sucked for the last two months of regular season baseball they have played. Really, really sucked. No excuse at the price being paid.
  • Options
    Crap you can't make up...we shall call this segment "from the lips of Bobby"... source - RedSox.com

Valentine tried to be optimistic about the fact that Byrd, a 2010 NL All-Star, has just three hits in 43 at-bats so far this season.

"He isn't hitting right now; that's the good news," Valentine said, "which means he's saved up all his hits for us, which is a good thing for him to do."

Oh yeah...Bard is back in the bullpen - temporarily...translation...we know we're in deep camel poop.

• Options

<< <i> Valentine said, "which means he's saved up all his hits for us, which is a good thing for him to do."

. >>

Not even a good Yogisim! I bet Valentine was doing the rain dance last night, get outta town, before you see red dot on your foreheard from the sniper's laser scope
  • Options
    It's not that the Red Sox are a bad baseball team.

The problem is, everyone else they have played against so far is better.

In fact, the Sox may be as high as the 30th best team in the country.

Capecards
  • Options
    At this point Im still not sure what to think of the Sox this year, Im torn between being tired of Bobby V and thinking the team is just horrible ( Save Pedroia ofcourse )
  • Options

<< <i>It's not that the Red Sox are a bad baseball team.

The problem is, everyone else they have played against so far is better.

In fact, the Sox may be as high as the 30th best team in the country. >>

And as long as the Yankees dont win the World Series this year all is not lost.
  • Options

<< <i>At this point Im still not sure what to think of the Sox this year, Im torn between being tired of Bobby V and thinking the team is just horrible ( Save Pedroia ofcourse ) >>

Ortiz is having a good year, too.
    Capecards
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I feel bad for Bobby V. What a nice guy in person. He tries to light a fire under the a$$ of his players and it backfires on him. The guy is over stuffed with baseball knowledge. It would be nice to see him embraced because I think he is deserving where ever he is.

Fact is, Red Sox have a HORRIBLE bullpen. I think they are close to being 30th in the league in their BP's ERA. Tough to win like that. Management has made questionable moves. Yes, I love seeing the Red Sox lose but I like seeing them lose competitively.
  • Options
    He tries to light a fire under the a$$ of his players and it backfires on him.

I can't buy this...so early into the season and you think that his calling out Youkilis' onfield play was a ploy to light a fire under the players? That might fly later in the season, but certainly not within the first 2 weeks of the season. Everybody is still trying to figure out which way the wind is blowing. True enough, Youkilis' performance had been poor, but openly trashing him did nothing but create a firestorm where Valentine was compelled to apologize. In essence, he created a situation that was viewed as an extremely negative event. He will not be embraced by Red Sox Nation if he keeps making bone-headed comments to the press about player's performance. He needs to turn down the negative stuff and try to focuse on whatever positive there may be. Matters not how much Valentine knows or has forgotten about baseball...he does nada between the lines, merely turns the boat once in a while. He should not have taken Doubront out in the 6th after the dinger...he focused more on the pitch count, which at that moment was 99...surely Doubront had more in the tank, should have let him pitch the inning and perhaps into the 7th, given the crappy situation in the bullpen...baseball 101. So much for all his "knowledge".

As for the team...clearly they have major issues. The bullpen is next to horrific, but wasn't this the case late in the season, and especially when Papelbon signed with the Phillies? So, I ask where was Cherington (the GM) in the off-season to bolster the pen? I think the top tier of management, including the owner are acting like an ostrich by thinking "it's all gonna work out". They should have done something about the bullpen and what do they do...pick up a player who is 3-45 from the Cubs...a centerfielder who is facing the sunset of his playing career. Epstein has to still be laughing over this one. See Valentine's quote above about the newly acquired Cub...make any sense? NOPE.

I made a comment very early on that it could well be a very, very long season for the Red Sox and we probably wouldn't have an idea till mid-May. Well, at this rate, we may as well call it mid-May, and things ain't lookin' too good. It will take a massive effort to dig out of the hole the Red Sox find themselves in and management needs to provide the talent to do so. At this point, everytime the Red Sox reach the 6th inning it will be interesting (or sad) to see what moves are made or not made.

We play the Yankees 12 more times + the makeup...and we end the season in NY. Not lookin' too good at this point.

• Options
    to paraphrase a famous political phrase, and directed at nobody here in general:

"It's the players, stupid."
  • Options
    well we are....tied
  • Options
    Cody Ross!