Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

365 Days of Golf Cards September 25th - 1914 Marsumas - last day!

Comments

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Day 114. A rare W590 Hagen Strip card

Ok, this one is a toughie, it is a black and white picture, normally these are so off-centered that half of one side is missing. Per the population report a few have been graded, this must be miscut or something but it is definately one of the nicer examples from an eye appeal standpoint I have seen.

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭
    you have some crazy good Golf cards
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    so THAT'S what it says along the bottom. Mine are so badly off-center I thought Hagen was a "ofessional" golf champ.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    Day 115 - Spalding 1926 Walter Hagen PSA 9

Here is one of the prides of my collection, also thought I would show off the little packing that the card originally came in

• Options
    Day 116 - Bulgaria Sport Walter Hagen

One of the more readily available cards of Hagen, this set also has an appearance of Babe Ruth.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I love that Spaulding Hagen, Dave. What an incredible card to have in a 9! Great card, great set.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Day 117 - NFL Draft Day

Ok so you are thinking if you follow this, what the heck....NFL Draft...well the honesty of the matter is, got off work, mowed the yard, had the school carnival night for the kiddo and now just got home and want to watch the draft...so....no cards tonight.

However, what would you like to see next? Last time Hagen won out...

Post replies and I will see what I can do.
  • Options
    Just incredible stuff you have posted. Do you do anything with the LPGA cards?

I only have a couple Annika Auto's. Just wondering some if the first issues for the LPGA, and some if the harder to find/RC's.

Incredible Hagen cards.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Miconelegacy

Hopefully you have seen a few of the female golfers that I have featured in some of the sets I have listed thus far from the Ogden's issues as well as Millhoff issues. I will get some LPGA - likely more current, but I also have some Wheaties cards of some HOF lady golfers coming in a bit.

Thanks for the note!

Dave
  • Options
    Dave what are your thoughts on the 1932 U.S. Caramel at Auction with Memory Lane?

The card is beautiful!!

Link
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    miconelegacy -

The 1932 US Caramel Jones in your link is absolutely stunning.
    It is such a great card.

I don't have one..... and my only reservation in spending big $$$ on that card is it was issued after Bobby Jones retired.
    It even mentions that Bobby Jones retired (two years earlier than the card issue) on the back of the card.

I am sure I will grab one at some point - but 'after-retirement-issue' has been what has been holding me back.
    Same thing with the 33 Goudey Jones - which is another great looking card.

Day 118- My US Caramel Bobby Jones

Mine is obviously not high grade, but this is still a way tough card to located period.

I made a trade many years ago which cost me a higher 1927 Churchman Large size Jones in a PSA 7 and in return I got this back along with my current PSA 6

• Options
    Day 119 - Bet you have not seen these before.

These are two of my favorite cards? Why? Because they are differnent and from an obscure issue

• Options
    Day 120 - One of my Favorite Courses....Cruden Bay

This is a great and fairly rare card from this tough F & J Smith series. St Andrews also has a card featured in this set.

This card features Cruden Bay, well up the coast north of Aberdeen, in a quaint little town of Cruden Bay, just down the road from Peterhead - a fishing village

If you ever go to Scotland, it is a bit out of the way from a lot of the other courses people typically like to play, but you will not be disappointed if you make it there.

• Options
    Day 122 - Happy May Day!!

Like an idiot, I totally spaced this off yesterday. If you are a loyal reader my apologies.

Here are my 1936 Mitchell and sons Cards. There is one more of the series of golfers but you will see him later in the World Golf Hall of fame set.

• Options
    Day 123 - Found another Ogden's

Ok, I didn't read back through everything, so hope I did not post this one once already. Found this one going through my cards scanning, new I had it just had not come across it yet.

This should be the last of the Ogdens for a bit.

• Options
    Day 124 - World Golf Hall of Fame Set Registry Part 1

Someone asked about this a while back, so I am going to sort of randomly feature cards from this set registry. This features "rookie" cards of the people in the world golf hall of fame. This is by no means always completely accurate, sometimes a true rookie (such as the 1898 Ogdens Harry Vardon, or the 1925 Hagen Empreza) are sooooo rare that barely anyone could ever complete this set.

When I established this registry set some years ago, my goal was to make it attainable for anyone that wanted to try. Granted there are some tough as well as higher valued cards from the early 1900's but it is a set that can be enjoyed by anyone wanting to take a shot. The other fun thing is this set is a constant evolving changing one.

With that in mind, we will start with 4-5 cards per day.

I am gong to start with Sportscaster cards, becuase I have them all saved in the same folder! image

• Options
    Day 125 - World Golf Hall of Fame Set Registry Part II

Here is an eccletic mix today

Babe Zaharias - one could argue there are much earlier cards of her to use. I tried to find one featuring a golf swing and this is the first one that popped that was farily mainstream.

Mickey Wright - More SI for Kids cards. You would be suprised how many of these actually made the HOF set registry. And since they are perforated from the magazine sheet, they are INCREDIBLY TOUGH to get in high grades

Kathy Whitworth - Keeping with the theme of SI for kids cards. A great photo of one of the all time greats on the LPGA.

Karrie Webb - I guess going 4 for 4 working the alphabet backwards today, stay tuned tomorrow for a bigger variance of cards and sets.

• Options
    Day 126 World Golf HOF Part III

Some more for today

1981 Donruss Tom Watson.

1982 Lanny wadkins
    Not sure I consider this guy HOF but he is in there.

Pro Set Vijay Singh

Remember when the Vij was on top of the world...for like a week. Seriously the guy is still way under-rated IMO

Super MEX!

• Options
    Day 127 - Wolrd Golf Hall Of Fame Part IV

Finally a little more variety today. here is the 1971 Peter Thompson Barratts "not his rookie but I had it lumped in with the other Barratt cards"

How about a 1900 John Taylor from the Copes Tobacco series!

An 81 Donruss Curtis Strange RC

and lastly for today, Here is Annika's Rookie card from Upper Deck

• Options
    Day 128 - World Golf Hall Of Fame Part V - Snead, Sifford, Shore, Shute

One of my favorites - the 1948 Kellogs Pep Samuel Jackson Snead. This is an 8OC, but trust me these cards are brutal in high grades, they have an anamalized surface that cracks and they are small and usually chewed up. This is off centered but the sharpet one of about 8 I have ever owned. Almost bought a PSA 7.5 off of ebay a while back but instead saved my money....(now regretting it)

Pro Set Charlie Sifford

Gotta love that ceeeeeegarrrrr

Densmore Shute - one of the earlier and afforadble cards in the HOF registry set, also one that can be easily found, but has a couple of different back varieties as well

Another cool one here - the Peerless Dinah Shore card. Peerless were cards in weight scale machines. Put in a penny, guess your weight, get a card. Tough but not too tough to find. This is a nice example.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Dinah!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Dave - thank you so much for all the posts and I look forward to seeing the rest - your collection is amazing! I just heard about this thread while at the National in the UK and spent this afternoon catching up. Huge congrats on the Empreza Hagen - I can now put that on my list of 'never-will-finds' along with the Crescent Confectionary!!!

Dave Aberle
  • Options
    Hey Dave, good to hear from you!

Did you see anything good at the National Cigarette Card Trade Show in Lincolnshire?

Who in the heck knows about this post over there? I am curious. I have always wanted to share golf card knowledge around the globe, apparently it is working image

Chime in more often!

Dave
  • Options
    Actually Mark Webster showed me a scan of your Empreza Hagen while I was bragging about my Hagen Master Set - very humbling...

Unfortunately, there seems to be less and less interesting raw material to find in the UK. As the hobby has globalized, it seems like the top-notch stuff is finding its way into PSA holders and US collections. Good overall but tough for treasure-hunters like myself. Good time though and great excuse to have a few pints!
  • Options
    Day 129 - World Golf Hall of Fame Part VI

Was sad to see last night during the inductions that not many of the current World Golf Hall of Fame members were in attendance for the induction ceremonies for the new inductees, although any living member is invited each and every year. It pretty much was a handfull of sportscasters and mainly LPGA golfers. People missing that really should be there in my opinion include Nickalus, Els, Vijay, Watson, Wadkins, Annika, and I could go on and on. Heck most of these folks already LIVE in Florida...cmon, support your Hall of Fame.

Anyway sorry for the rant, here is a few more for today.

More Sports Illustated for Kids - Here is Patty Sheehan.

1928 Churchman Men of the Moment in Sport Gene Sarazen. - A great Caricature card of the Squire.

Maybe my favorite card in all of my collection...I will digress for a moment here.

once upon a time I had not one but two complete set of copes golfers that were graded. Actually over the years I have owned 4 different ones, but I sold them all to one person who I think has even upgraded the set I had. At the time it was the highest graded Copes set in existence with a gpa in the mid six range...pretty amazing considering the cards are 112 years old.

I purchased back some of the cards I needed for the Wolrd Golf Hall of Fame. This is absolutely one of my top 5 favorite cards in my collection. Although I used to have a higher grade, the Allan Robertson card is one of my favorites. He is the man who tutored Old Tom Morris. If Tom Morris is considered the Grand Old Man of Golf, the Robertson is the Godfather.

He taught Morris clubmaking and ball making trades, and Robertson was arguably the most accomplished player of the pre- Open Era (or British Open era to us Yanks in America)

Judy Rankin - featured with those killer blue blocker type sunglasses from the 70's and the bright colors. Most know her from her television announcing days, and few know what a great player she was in her day.

Pretty amazing day covering over 100 years of time frame between Cope Cigarettes and Upper Deck golf card issues!
  • Options
    Day 130 - World Golf Hall of Fame Part VII

Nick Price-

1971 Barratt Gary Player

This card is really undervalued in my opinion.

Henry Picard - Grand Slam Ventures

This set is known mainly for the Tiger Woods, but there are some other great cards in this set featuing former Masters champions.

Fax Pax Payne Stewart.

This card is affordable (heck you can get the entire set for usually no more than $10) has a number of Hall of Famres, and this is a nice full body pose of Stewart, plus the cards are of a larger unusual size.

• Options
    Day 131- World Golf Hall of Fame Part VIII - Pak, Park, Palmer- Ollie!

Willie Park - This is from a set produced in England that feature Open Champions and are cigarette card sized. The paper stock is pretty flimsy but it is a cool set. Too bad park does not have any cards from closer to his actual playing days. The Entire Park Family were excellent golfers.

Arnold Palmer Pro Set

Some would argue the Bancroft Tiddlers is his rookie card...I could not justify putting a card in that does not even have the same player information on the back of the card

UD - Se Ri Pak

Seems like forever ago she was winning everything, but here's news...it wasn't really that long ago.

Pro Set - Jose Maria Olazabal

One of my favorite golfers of the more recent time.

• Options
    Yes Ollie - was a great golfer not only the Masters - but his Ryder Cup with Seve was out of this world - they were almost unbeatable - happy memories of two of the greatest.
    Actually Dave what cards are there of the great Seve?
    Ian
    Ian W (New Zealand)
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with the thought that the golf HOF inductions are not supported by those already in like they should. Like you said, heck, many already live in Florida and would not be greatly inconvenienced!

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    Ian

Seve has a number of cards, many are more obscure issues, he has a pretty rare sticker card made in spain, I have only seen one and can’t even tell you the manufacturer.
  • Options
    Day 132- World Golf Hall of Fame Part IX - Norman, Nicklaus, Nelson, Nagle

The Great White Shark!

the elusive 1971 Barrat's Jack Nicklaus. Never have had the gumption to drop the big money and go for a PSA 9. This card is usually a bit off-centered which I am sure is what holds this back. I bought this one raw YEARS ago.

Byron Nelson

Another card from the GSV set. Upper Deck has also produced a bunch more of Nelson including some great autos and shirt cards.

Kel Nagle

A forgotten golfer of the 60's and one that most people today have never heard of.

• Options
    Great Norman card!

loving this thread.
    World Golf Hall of Fame Part X Day 133- Old Tom Morris - Young Tom Morris - Miller Middllecoff

Old Tom Morris

I used to have a higher example of this before I sold my complete gradede Copes set some years ago...and to think there is a PSA 9 of this card out there...

If you like Old Tom then enjoy the only card printed of Young Tom that is of the vintage variety. This is the most undervalued card in the golf hobby in my opinion.

Johnny Miller. Didn't Roy McAvoy break his Open Record 63 in the movies?

Cary Middlecolf

The good doctor was quite the player

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I love that Cope Old Man Tom Morris card! And we both know that a PSA 5 example is certainly nothing to be ashamed of! What grade did you have it in for the set you sold?

If I had to sell all of my golf cards, this card would be the only one I couldn't part with.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Day 134 - World Golf Hall of Fame Part XI - Lopez, Littler, Mickelson, Mangrum

I used to have a PSA 7 Example of Old Tom. Also had a 3 and a 4 over the years if memory serves me correct

Today we have 4 more great hall of famers

The recently inducted Phil Mickelson

Another little gem from the Kellogs Pep Series Lloyd Mangrum

Nancy Lopez

and finally for mother's day...Gene the Machine Littler

• Options
    Day 135 - No Scans today as I was helping with a United Way golf charity outing....

And have been wearing my knickers all day, complete with dress shirt and tie to harken back to the olden days of golf.

Had a successful outing, but I just got home, and need to shower and spend some family time, so more HOF scans tomorros.

Sorry for the break in the action....we even had a hole in one in the tourney today...unfortunately not by me...
  • Options
    Day 136 - World Golf Hall of Fame part XII - Nelson, Kite, Langer, Little

Lawon Little posing with a seriously large trophy!

Larry Nelson...the quiet assassain

Bernhard Langer. Always like the joke mine is Langer than yours...or does anyone remember the green shafted driver called the Langer Lizard?

The Tour ATM machine of the 1980's Tom Kite

• Options
    Day 137 World Golf Hall of Fame Part XIII - King, Jacklin, Irwin, Inkster

WOW! love that 80's hari-doo

Tony Jacklin, another card from the Barratt Set

Hale Irwin - more people remember him for dominating the Senior Tour then being a punter for the Colorado Buffaloes.

Juli Inkster - Jules OWNS the course in Hutchinson Kansas...ok she does not LITERALLY own Prairie Dunes, but she OWNS Prairie Dunes

• Options
    Day 138 - World Golf Hall of Fame Part XIV - Hope, Hogan (x2) and Hilton

Bob Hope - a relatively tough Pro Set Card

Ok, not technically his rookie, that is the Berk Ross card in this set, but adding the Hogan from the TPK Hannah here as it is cool

ANd even Cooler is Ben Hogan with 3 trophies..the Hogan Slam

H.H. Hilton - love the building in the background of the card, those Cope's cards are super cool!

• Options
    Day 139 - World Golf Hall of Fame Part XV - Guldhal, Green, Ford, Floyd

Ralph Guldahl. Another nice featured card of the GSV set that is mainly known for the Tiger Rookie

Hubert Green – Dude was seriously fidgety over the golf ball…if you think Sergio is nervous with all of the re-grips….

Doug Ford… another person that it is too bad there is not a card better represented from his actual playing days.

Ray Floyd – a lot better than people today ever gave him credit for.

• Options
    Day 141- World Golf Hall of Fame Part XVI - Ferrier, Faldo, DeMaret, Devincenzo, Daniel,

I was so out of it yesterday running around doing family stuff...I totally forgot to post a thread! My apologies!

Here are some more Hall of Famers for today

Jim Ferrier - Nice Kellogs Pep card

Golden Wonder Nick Faldo

Not that rare, but a card not a lot of people own of sir Nick

Roberto DeVincenzo

Many this guy should have a Grand Slam Ventures Masters Winners card shouldn't he...

Speaking of Grand Slam Ventures...Jimmy DeMaret

ANd one of the nicest ladies in golf of all time...Beth Daniel

• Options
    Day 142- World Golf Hall of Fame part XVII - Crosby, Crenshaw, Charles, Chi Chi!

The Great Bing Crosby!

Some Call him Gentle...I call him, needs a haircut in this picture

If you know the WKRP in Cincinatti reference you are at least as old as me.

The Original Gansta of Lefties...

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Missed the original thread with Juli Inkster but love it. My cousin was a nanny for her for over a decade. A very fun and neat lady. She has been over to aunt's house and parent's house. She has a great sense of humor and treats my cousin like she was her oldest child even though she is in her 30s herself. It was a good match for the both of them. Juli said that my cousin gave the worst interview when looking for a nanny but could tell she would be the best for her daughters.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Day 143 – World Golf Hall of Fame Part XVIII. Casper, Big Momma, Burke Jr. , Bradley, Boros, Berg

Not talking the friendly ghost here. Billy Casper might be the most under-rated player of the 60’s…ok he IS the most under-rated.

Joanne Gunderson Carner

BIG MOMMA!

Jackie Burke Jr.

Hogan’s nemesis…..

Keegan’s relative…that other Bradley.

Julis Boros, I think he has a record for oldest winner in a PGA event…if not then he is close.

Patty Berg

Tough to finder a much nicer Wheaties card

• Options
    Day 144 - Final Installment World Golf Hall of Fame - Beaman, Bauer, Seve, Ball, Alcott

The Commish - Deane Beaman -

Marlene Bauer Hagge...Can I have a Mint Wheaties Please?

THe short game specialist...Seve....

Mr John Ball from the 1900 Copes set

Amy Alcott
  • Options
    Day 145...In case you missed it....I'm having a sale soon!

I am going to attempt and sell my golf card collection. I am in the process of putting together a master list with all of the cards I have and what I am asking for them as a starting point.

The good news is that I am doing this becuase I want to and feel the time is right. Actually doing this 365 days of golf card post was part of the reason I have decided to sell.

While getting out all of my cards and making sure I had them scanned in....I came to the realization that I have a LOT of cards worth a lot of money, and I don't look at them, share them with others, or really do much than keep them insured and in a box or in a vault.....So maybe, I should let someone else who would enjoy them pay for the opportunity to own them.

I am just hoping if or when I sell items that I can keep putting up scans for the rest of the year.

• Options
    1923 Cope's Golf Strokes

This set is one of the highlights of my entire collection. It is the finest set in existence and I believe most of the cards are POP 1. There are only 2-3 cards out of the 32 that have any examples graded higher.

This set is not as popular for a couple of reasons...1....it has a weird number - 32 cards - for a complete set. - 2. It does not have have the big names of Hagen or Jones from the era. 3. It is not a set that is widely collected.

Now for the other side of the argument. It has a unusual number of cards for a complete set, but why? It does not have the Jones or Hagen cards but it has a lot of Harry Vardon cards. It is not widely collected mainly because it is a more rare set than most, and higher grade examples are really tough to locate.

With all that said...here is the start to the set...ENJOY!

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    That's a neat Bob Hope card. I'll have to find one of those autographed

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Day 147 More Copes Golf Strokes

Here are three More For The Start of Memorial Day weekend