Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

365 Days of Golf Cards September 25th - 1914 Marsumas - last day!

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    That dual auto of Jordan & Tiger Woods is awesome! Those are some great looking cards.

I don't collect much modern golf, so please excuse my ignorance - but do any of these companies release new golf cards every year or is the production random?

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Totally random, this is the first set dedicated to golf produced by Upper deck since 2005. UD produced golf sets, actually multiple ones every year in 2001 through 2005
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    Any idea why they decided to put another set out this year?
    Jeff
  • Options
    Here are some of my guesses

- UD does not have all the licensing they used to...this product fills a void
    - They have not done one in 7 years...lot of new players on tour that have no cards so that creates demand
    - They have Tiger exclusively...he appears poised for a good year, I am sure his "issues" might have held this off happening a year or two sooner
    - I think demand is there as it has been 7 years. My guess is this won't be an overproduced product like in 2001, the last two years they made cards in 04-05 the product was made in far less quantity in my opinion.

• Options
    Great points, Dave. What sort of effect do these modern releases have on vintage golf sales? I would imagine the retro inserts and autos would spark interest in some of the older players, as well.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Yes, that is somewhat the case of what happened back in 2001...like any product, if you bring new people to a different area of the hobby, or into the hobby altogether, it is also likely a few will break off and collect some of the more vintage items as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Any idea why they decided to put another set out this year? >>

It's funny that UD announced their set and not too long ago Brian Gray from Leaf talked about their golf set they are putting out.
  • Options
    Day 21- Finally got it!

I didn't post yesterday as it came in the mail but I did not make it the the postal center in time for sig confirmation before they closed for the day. So...scooped it up this morning.
    I have been looking to get this one for a LONG time. Right now the prices are about as low as ever, and I think he is going to have a good year, not necessarily a HUGE year, but a good one.

• Options
    Also, just added a BST Golf thread for ANYONE who wants to particiapte on the BST board. If you have any golf "stuff" to sell, feel free to use that post if you like. I had a few people asking so hopefully they will follow it there as well.
  • Options
    Day 22- Started a Buy Sell Post for Anyone with Golf Stuff.

I had a few inquries about items for sale, I have a number of things to sell, just have not listed anything in awhile.

I like to do ebay auctions, but am getting more and more turned off on their fees - even though I am a powerseller and receive their highest ratings.

I have started a Post for Anyone with anything golf related on the BST board. Hopefully you will check it out if you like some stuff here. I have already sold 3 cards, and It appears some other folks have already listed some stuff and had some success as well.

Hope you can all find it useful!

Now off to finish putting togerther a 280 card submission to PSA! Guh!! (well actually it is 4 different submissions, but 280 cards)

• Options
    That Wood auto is killer, Dave. Congrats on the pick-up. I'm now headed over to the BST board to see what you've got listed.
    Jeff
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Real nice Tiger auto on that card. Mind if I ask what you paid?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Jeff
  • Options
    I paid under $1400.

There are a lot of ones on the bay with BIN that are re-freaking-diculous. But 10's have been in the 1750-1800 range lately.

I actually got bid up at the last 2 seconds of the auction or I would have gotten it for a LOT less than I ended up paying.

I think now is the time to buy, I can't seem em getting a whole lot lower. With only 900 made and the auto on card, it is always going to be popular.

If Tiger NEVER wins another tourney, he is still arguably in the top 5 of all time

Plus with the Leaf and Upper Deck Products out this year, I think the "older" modern cards could gain a little momentum again, as it has been 7 years since golf had a dedicated product, I am guessing a few new folks will jump in and then go back and look for some of the other Upper Deck issues of the 2001-2005 realm, but just my opinion.

Also, thanks for the link to the BST thread. Some others are having some luck there as well. Once I get this PSA submission sent off, I will have some more recent modern cards to put on there as well as a couple of cards I upgraded recently on some of my older vintage sets.

• Options
    Day 23 - A Scottish Gem

A tough card that I have only seen a few times. This is the J Duncan and Company Scottish Gems card featuring some players at the lovely North Berwick Links. I have had the priveledge of being on this golf course on one of my trips to Scotland, and it is a very challenging course to say the least.

This card was also made with a hand colored version (about 20 or so years before this issue and is much more scare, and valuable I might also add) but this is the mid 1920's black and white version.

Not a super high end copy, but still one of my favorite cards as it has a real photos of golfers and of the course from that time period.

imageimage
  • Options
    That card would make an amazing framed piece of art if it were blown up. I'd love to have a shot like that on my wall. Cool cards - as always, Dave!

Jeff
    Jeff
  • Options
    Day 24 - 1931 Churcham Prominent Golfers Large Series - part 1 of 3

Since I am in the middle of scanning cards, thought I would take 3 days to share the 12 total cards in the 1931 Churchman Prominent Golfers Series. This colorful series of cards show 12 golfers of the day. They feature the same caricature drawings that are present on the small size series of 50 Prominent golfers.

This set is one of the most popular of all of the golf sets to collect. Why?
    - It is only 12 cards
    - It features Hagen, Jones and Vardon
    - There are quite a few sets around

I think the smaller size series of 50 is much tougher to locate...but this set has always been special to me. It was the first set I ever obtained.

Some years ago while at a card show in Kansas City, I sold a bunch of cards, everything from Jordan Rookies, to vintage baseball (yikes what would THAT stuff be worth today) I was not a PSA guy in those days, matter of fact PSA was in its infancy.

I also had a mid 60's hockey set to sell for a friend. I hit Mr Mint's booth right out of the gate and sold that hockey set for a more than fair price for my buddy. Right in front of me was a guy with a lot of these golf related cards. The Mint Man politely explained to him that he didn't buy that British stuff.

I asked to see what he had, and I ended buying this complete set, as well as a Jones Card and a 1930 Wills Hagen from him for what I thought was a small price. I was always a golf fan, and these cards were COOL. I had never seen anything like them before either.

Later when walking the show, I saw a dealer from Canada that had more of these similar cards. He had a LOT more, not a ton of golf but more, so I ended up buying some more stuff from him as well.

Hence started my collecting of golf cards, and likely cost my wife a little bit on the engagement ring she ended up with.

Here is the first four cards in that set. #1 Glenna Collett - This is the only non psa 7 or above I have in the set, but as most #1 cards, condition is tougher than most in the set.
    #2 is Archie Compston, the back of his cards mentions how he beat Hagen 18 and 17 in a 72 hole match. Bet Walter was stinging from that one.
    #3 is T.H. Cotton (have you noticed these are all sequential PSA slabs so far...yep they are from that same very first set...a GREAT Purchase) Cotton is also a highly collected British golfer and next to the big names of Vardon, Morris, Jones and Hagen would be in the second tier of collectibility from this era, and lastly for today, #4, The Haig himself, in one of my favorite looking cards of Sir Walter. I will have more posts on Walter later.

Enjoy!

• Options
    Day 25 – Churchman Prominent Golfers Large part 2 of 3

I will continue today with 4 more cards from this brief set of 12 golfers. These were some of the folks on top of the golf world in 1931 when this set was produced. As mentioned yesterday, this set is always one of the more popular ones to collect due to the golfers which were included as well as the colorful nature of the cards. In the REA auction last year, the offering from Jack Zugay which at the time was the #1 graded PSA set on the registry sold for 8,225 before the juice was included.

Today we look at cards 5-8 in the set. They include

#5 Bobby Jones – Not much to say here, a classic design of the Emperor with the slouched newsboy hat on. Jones is likely the most iconic golfer of all time, and I will have more cards detailing his issues, likely closer to the time of the National Invitational Tournament held at Augusta. (we now call this the Masters)

#6 Abe Mitchell – Mitchell should get more mention in today’s game than he does. Why? Mainly as he is the figure on top of the Ryder Cup Trophy. The golfer on that fantastic 17” tall trophy is modeled after Abe Mitchell who happened to be Samuel Ryder's friend and golf instructor. Mitchell coincidentally played in three Ryder Cup competitions.

#7 – Fred Robson – He four times finished in the top 10 at the Open Championship and three times was a Ryder Cupper.

#8 – Cyril Tolley – Might be best known as the golfer who took Bobby Jones to the 19th hole in the British Amateur at St. Andrews during Jones' quest for the Grand Slam in 1930. Tolley was a great amateur golfer of the time who won the]British Amateur in 1920 and again in 1929. He was also a celebrated war hero. I just recently upgraded to this card, so I have one that I should be offering soon on the BST thread.

• Options
    I love that Bobby Jones card, Dave. Did you get all of these from the card show you talked about in KC? I'm from Kansas and used to attend cards shows in the area as a youngster!
    Jeff
  • Options
    No, not all from that show, some were upgraded, frankly I bought them so long ago I don't even remember which ones, But I do remember that original set of churchmans large cards had nothing worse than a psa 6, I do think the Jones might have been the original..I have owned a few in PSA 8 over the years.
  • Options
    Day 26 - Churchman Prominent Golfers Large part 3 of 3

Today I will feature the last 4 cards in the set.

#9 Harry Vardon - Vardon is the iconic symbal of the current European Tour. He won 6 Open Championships and finsihed runner up another 4 times on top of that. Truly one of the early giants of the golden age of golf

#10 - Joyce Wethered - Joyce and her brother Roger started winning championships but in the day, Joyce was the more famous of the two. She won the Ladies Open 4 times prior to this issue being produced.

#11 Roger Wethered - A perennial contender in the British amatuer, either winning, finishing runner up, or getting knocked out in the finals multiple times. He was Jones's victim in the 1930 British Amatuer on the way to Bobby winning the Grand Slam that year.

#12 - C.A.Whitcombe - The final card in the set and another one to obtain in top condition. I just upgraded to a PSA 7 so I will shortly list my PSA 6 for sale image

• Options
    Day 27 - 1928 Millhoff Famous Golfers - Part 1

After going out with the family tonight I realized I did not get in my post for the day, two folks have asked me about the Millhoff cards, so I thought I would dedicate a multi - part series to them. A narrative today with a few days of scans of all of the cards to follow.

The Millhoff set is one of the most collectible of the vintage golf card sets. It has just 27 cards - which is an unusual number to say the least. Most of the golf issues are 50 cards, with the main exception being the Churchman large issues which are always 12. 27??? Well whatever.

Here is the complete checklist

AUBREY BOOMER 1
    WALTER HAGEN 2
    SIR E. HOLDERNESS 3
    ROGER WETHERED 4
    HARRY VARDON 5
    C.A. WHITCOMBE 6
    ALEX HERD 7
    ABE MITCHELL 8
    C.J.H. TOLLEY 9
    JESSE SWEETSER 10
    MISS DIANA V.ESMOND 11
    MRS. GUEDALLA 12
    MISS JOYCE WETHERED 13
    GEORGE DUNCAN 14
    DOROTHY PEARSON 15
    EDWARD RAY 16
    GEORGE GADD 17
    A.G. HAVERS 18
    MISS DORIS CHAMBERS 19
    BOBBY JONES 20
    T.H. COTTON 21
    MRS. ALAN MACBETH 22
    MISS CECIL LEITCH 23
    TOMMY ARMOUR 24
    DR. W. TWEDDELL 25
    ROBERT HARRIS 26
    E.R. WHITCOMBE 27

7 of the golfers featured are women players. These are the first cards that exclusively feature a number of womens golfers in a set (there might be some other set but I am not recalling it) The Ogdens sets do have a couple of golfers, but I would argue this is the first set where they are prominently displayed as basically 25% of the subject are women players.

There are a number of big names in this set, including Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Tommy Armour, and Harry Vardon. The set has all "action" type of black and white photos. THe Millhoffs are notorious for poor centering on both the front and also the reverse of cards.

The small size of the set makes it collectible and easy to assemble, although a number of people have or are building the set which sometimes lead to high pricing on certain cards.

I was surprised to see my set is currently the 2nd best on the registry and 3rd all time!. Jack Zugay had assembled a monster of a Millhoff set before selling it through REA auctions last year. I sold a couple of PSA 9 examples over the years and he though enough of it he even mentioned me in an SMR article that featured his collection. Jack's first love of a golf card set was the 1928 Millhoff Famous Golfers. I learned early on if there was a high grade example - and he was bidding on it - I was NOT going to win it. (this is back in the days when you could tell who was bidding against you on ebay). So...I had a couple of nice conversations with him, basically told him I would get out of his way, and hopefully he would occasionally leave some scraps for me.

A fantastic set and one of my favorites for the simplicity of the photographs which are used on the cards. I will begin sharing scans this weekend.
  • Options
    Day 28 - 1928 Millhoff Famous Golfers Part II

The set starts off with Aubrey Boomer. He was the french open champion in 1921, 1922 and 1926. His card back mentions a ton of tourneys he won prior to this card relase date including Holland Championship, Letchwork Tournmant, St Germains Tournamanet, Toehampton Tournament, Gleaneagles and a few course records.

#2 Walter hagen - Even though black and white card you can tell the "Haig" is dressed to the nines here. At this point the Haig had won 2 US Opens, teh Wstern twice (it was considered a major for professionals in that time...and frankly I think it should count as a major for the professional golfers of that era) the 4 time PGA Champions at this point as well as the Open Championship winner in 1922 and 1924.

#3 - Sir Ernest W.E. Holderness of Walton Heath - Amateur winner in 1922 and 1924. Also mentions how he played on the british vs. americas team in 1921-23 and 26

#4 - Roger Wethered - this is one of my best "in focus" Millhoffs although I know my scanner is a bit fuzzy. Love the guy in the background wearing the top hat. Wethered was a top amatuer golfer of the day.

#5 - Harry Vardon - a strangley posed photo with Vardon replete with pipe in his mouth. Notice how much his appearance has changed since the early Ogdens scans I have shown in the post. By now he had won 6 Opens, was at the end of his career was a successful author and considered the best in the world.

#6 - Charles A Whitcombe - Photo taken at a parkland course due to the trees in the background. At this time he had the lowest professional rounds of golf at Roon - 69, Deal - 69 Brunham - 69 and Crew's Hill 65. Remember these are hickory sticks!

• Options
    I love this set. Especially the Vardon w/ a pipe - it's a classic image IMO.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Day 29 - 1928 Millhoff Famous Golfers Part III

On this pro bowl Sunday we continue with more of the Millhoff set

Card #7 Alexander Herd - Herd won the open in 1902 and finished 2 on 4 other occasions in 1892-1895-1910 and 1920 (that is a pretty good nearly 30 year run!) Herd is another

Card #8 Abe Mitchell - You got a good dissertation on Mitchell with the last set I featured earlier in this post, so I will mention that the Back of these cards all have the advertisement at the top that says Famous Golfers a series of 27 Real Photographs, and at the botton indicate - Issued with "de Reske" the aristocrat of Cigarettes, J. Millhoff & Co Ltd London England

Card #9 C J Tolley, how the the heck did those guys swing wearing those heavy wool longcoats on the golf course? No shorts allowed on this tour.

Card #10 - Jesse Seetset, The US Amatuer Champion in 1922 and runner up in 1923. Also won the British Am in 1926

Card #11 - Miss Diana V Esmond - The first of many female golfers featured in this set. Reverse of the card indicates that she is the daughter of well know race horse owner Edward Esmond....you see it did take a lot of money to play golf in those days.

• Options
    Ian W (New Zealand)
  • Options
    Hey Dave

I am loving the new thread - so much so - that I have joined the forum - sorry about the false post above. (whoops)
    Liked the North Berwick postcard - I have played there a few times - gods own golf country - I reckon they are playing possibly the 18th?
    Recently picked up a real nice Ogdens Tait (will try and post a scan on the BST thread.

Keep it going

Thanks
    Ian W (New Zealand)
  • Options
    Day 30 - 1928 Millhoff Famous Golfers Part IV

More on tap today, as I work my way to wrap up the 1928 Millhoff Set.

Today we will have 4 cards, including three more of the ladies! First we have Card #12 - Mrs. Guedalla, #13 - Miss Joyce Wethered card #14 George Duncan and #15 Dorothy Pearson.

Instead of lots of comments by me today, would love to here what you folks that read along have to say about these cards, and what the real photos show.

I find it interesting that all of the women are wearing essentially the same hat style, and they all have them pulled down pretty far. Must have been pretty windy OR sunny!

Duncan's sweater is freaking styling! That checkerboard pattern must have been rad back in the day!

• Options
    Day 31 - Millhoff Famous Golfers Part V

I guess no comments after my post yesterday...so hopefully not everyone has checked out.

Today we will look at cards 16-19

#16 Ed Ray - Ray was open champion in 1912 and US Open Chmapion in 1920. He was one of the larger than life, and bigger hitters of the golf ball of his day. Ray, also is sportin the pipe in thie photos and a nice fedora like hat.

#17 - George Gadd - Winner of the PSA in 1922 and at this point in his career according to the reverse of the card had recorded eight holes each in one.

#18 - A. G. Havers - Arthur Havers is shown here is a style I like to sport early in the spring. Plus Fours, sweater, dress shirt and tie. He qualified for the Open Championship at 16 years of age in 1914 with a score of 161. He defeated Bobby Jones in a visit to American 2 and 1 in a 36 hole match and also beat Gene Sarazen by a score of 5 and 4 during 1924.

#19 - Miss Doris Chambers - Finally a different style of hat for the lady golfer in the set! Champers won the Ladies Open in 1923 and finished third in 1909.

• Options
    Day 32 - Millhoff Famous Golfers Part VI

The Penultimate day of Millhoff Golfers.

#20 - We start off with a great and rare cigarette card of Bobby Jones - a neat pose hitting some some of knock down shot. Jones had just won his 2nd US Open and the Open Championship in 1926. They are also sure to mention on the back of the card that he tore up his cardd in the third round of the 1921 Open.

#21 T.H. Cotton - Only 20 years of age completed his 2nd season of professional golf and is one of Britain's most Promising young players.

#22 - Mrs. Alan MacBeth - Winner of the British Ladies Chmapionship in 1019 and runner up in 1923. Has represented England in International matches on numerous occasions.

#23 - Miss Cecil Leitch - French Champion in 1912-1914-1929-1921 and 1924. British Champion in 1914-1920-1921-1926. (that is an impressive run)

Here are some impressive scans. Will close up the Millhoff Golfers set tomorrow on Ground Hog Day!

• Options
    That Bobby Jones is incredible! Beautiful sets and grades....
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice cards ... that Jones is a classic.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I love that Bobby Jones! An American hero!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Day 33 - Final Day of the 1928 Millhoff Famous Golfers!

Last day of the Millhoffs today as we wind up this fantastic set

#24- Tommy Armour. The Silver Scot is featured here in a classic pose. Also note the caddies and the spectators in the background. He was the French Amatuer Champion in 1920

#25 - Dr W. Tweddell - Honestly do not know much about him... Won the Peterhead and Cruden Bay tournaments in 1919 while still a student (I have been to Cruden Bay Golf course twice....it is clear in northeast Scotland but it is an epic course and if it was any closer to more larger venues would be ranked right up there with any course in Scotland you can name!)

#26 Robert Harris - Since the back indicates he is from the Royal and Ancient and Working - I am assuming the backround buildings are those along #18 at the Old Course of St Andrews. He was Amatuer Champion in 1925 and runner up in 1913 and 1923.

#27 - E.R. Whitcombe - Too bad my version is centered so poorly otherwise it would for sure be a PSA 7 maybe even an 8!. He was 2nd in the Open in 1924.

Hope you enjoyed the Millhoffs! Will have a February Give Away starting tomorrow and then onto some more cards on Saturday!

• Options
    Day 34 - February Give-Away!

A new month, so a new free giveaway!

This month I will be giving away a Lot of 5 Annika Sorenstam Rookie cards from 2003. She is currently “reconsidering” her chances of being the Solheim Cup Captain in 2013, or possibly playing in the Olympics, and one of the course designs she has submitted in a partnership with Jack Nicklaus is under consideration for the soon to be built golf course for the upcoming Olympic Games.

All you have to do is PM me or post here that you want to be in the February Give-away.

I will randomly draw from all entrants on 2-10-2012

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Got the scans of the giveaway cards added
  • Options
    Day 35 - Young and Old Tom Morris - Still be sure to register for Free Giveaway (see day 34 Post)

Ah....the Midwest weather. I have been outside using the snow blower a few times today as we are getting pummled with heavy snow in the midwest.

I recently got back a submission of newer cards and thought I would share one of my favorites.

Don't have a ton of money to drop on an Old Tom Morris or Young Tom Morris from the 1900 Copes set?

Look no further than the 2011 Goodwin Champions Issue. A nice card featuring both fo these legendary golfers. It is a shortprinted card, but don't let that scare you. These can normally be had for $3-$5.

Card #164 in the set and somre really cool artwork and an iconic image of the father/son golfing duo.

imageimage

a reminder to those who read this thread - Be sure to PM if you want to enter the free Annika RC February Giveaway. Just send me a PM saying "I want in" I will randomly draw a winner on 2/10/2011
  • Options
    Love these!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Day 36 - 2011 Goodwin Golfers

Since I have gone with the Millhoff set, decided I would switch it up the most modern of card issues.

I will have the next few posts show all of the cards in the 2011 Goodwin Champions series from Upper Deck and then also show off some of the Harry Vardons I am adding to my Master Set on the registry from these new issues.

Here are the first of three Goodwin Cards I will show.

First off, card #10, Natalie Gulbis. Natalie is a fan favorite especially with the mens 24-34 demographic and likely even higher with the mens 35 and over demographics. Gulbis started playing when she was 4, won her first tournament at age 7 and was regularly breaking par at age 14. She has not had much success however on the LPGA tour, as she has one just once so far.

#125 Mike Weir. He hails from Canada and isl ikely the most famous of all Canadian golfers. Winning the Masters in 2003

#124 Hunter Mahan. - Won the western and US Junior Amatuers, has won three times as a professional, and was teice the Big XII Conference Player of the year.

a reminder to those who read this thread - Be sure to PM if you want to enter the free Annika RC February Giveaway. Just send me a PM saying "I want in" I will randomly draw a winner on 2/10/2011

• Options
    I'll be in the contest. Cool cards, lots I've never seen before!
  • Options
    Day 37 - More Goodwin Golfers!

Three more for today

Card #98 Anthony Kim - Set the record for most birdies in a round of golf at the masters in 2009 with 11 in the final round - has been fairly quiet since that time however.

#101 - Michelle Wie. Really the first mainstream card of her that is a legitimate Rookie Card. A popular card but if UD comes out with something limited and numbered with an auto later, it will be much much more popular

#117 Johnny Miller - Known today for his harsh criticism of players on tour, Miller won the US Am and also won the US Open. He won 5 of the first 11 tournaments in 1974 and won the Open Championship in 1976

A reminder to enter the Free Annika RC giveaway! See Day 34 post for details.
  • Options
    Day 38 - More Goodwin Golfers!

I continue with three more golfers from the 2011 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions

#63 Cristie Kerr - She is the closest thing to an ATM machine on the women's tour these days seemingly always finishing top 10 regardless of where she is playing
    #52 Brittany Lincicome - Has won three tournaments - including one major since turning pro in 2004 at the ripe old age of 19.
    #47 John Mallinger - Not sure why he got featured in this set (sorry to those Mallinger fans out there) as he has really not done much of anything on the PGA tour to date.

• Options
    Day 39 - More Goodwin Golfers!

The last day of featuring three golfers at a time from this series.

Bubba Watson - #29 - Bubba has gained a lot of popularity on the tour with fans. He is one of teh few players on tour that enjoys hitting all types of shots and plays hooks fades, slices and draws regularly. With todays equipment not many guys are proficient as working a golf ball as Bubba.

Annika Sorenstam #31. Will she captain the next Solheim Cup team for Europe? I hope so becuase my wife and I are going to watch it in Colorado. Annika is one of the best women players of all time and "retired" to raise a family.

#21 - Tiger Woods - The focus of the most golf cards of all time - Woods I think is primed to have a huge year this year.

• Options
    Day 40 - Well Hello Mr Vardon!

I have been working on Harry Vardon Registry sets for a little while, and was actually the person that submitted them to get them added.

PSA no longer just does the cards from the persons playing years when you are figuring the Master Sets (I know that Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen Sets however are "grandfathered in" under this rule that the cards had to be from their playing days.)

I recently sent in just about every variation of the Harry Vardon Cards from the 2011 Goodwin Champions Set from Upper Deck. They had the Base card, Mini Card, Mini Black Bordered card, Mini Silver Foil and Mini Black Foil (numbered to just 9 made).

I will give you a sampling of some of the cards today and also tomorrow as my Annika RC drawing wraps up.

I also have a couple of other Vardon Cards, Namely his 1993 Fax Pax card as well as the 1999 British Open Champions card

imageimage

imageimage

A reminder once again that Friday is the last day to enter this free drawing, and I will announce Friday evening.

• Options
    That Goodwin's set is one of the best looking sets I've seen produced in a long time.
    Jeff
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I'm loving all these cards in this thread. Keep up the good work. Very informative.

P.S.- You can throw my name in for the contest
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    For collectors like me that generally only collect 1 key card of players outside my wheelhouse, what would you consider the Vardon card to have?
    Hook'em
  • Options
    The Vardon card to have would be the 1898 Ogden's Cricketeers and sportsment...but good luck finding one...

Outside of that grey ghost...the F.J. Smith card of Vardon is super tough as well.

If you want a tough card but findable...any of the 1901-1902 Ogdens issues would suffice. If you look earlier in the posts Eloy, you will see numerous examples of Vardon cards from these two issues.

Dave
  • Options
    Day 41 - February Contenst Winner!

I received 8 official entries for the Annika RC giveaway (yes you need to let me know on each new giveaway if you are interested – entering a previous one does not automatically get you included in the next one.)

The winner of the 5 - 2003 Upper Deck Annika Sorenstam Rookie cards is……

Big80s!

Big80s send me your contact info and I will get the cards in the mail to you tomorrow!

Congrats and thanks for playing everyone!
  • Options
    I'd like to thank the Academy!!

PM sent.

Thanks, Dave!!
    Jeff