Home Precious Metals
Options

GOLD AND SILVER, ECONOMIC NEWS, COINS, 2016

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Is hyperbole and exaggerated misinformation part of meaningfully discussion?

Oh, do you mean snarky comments like this:

Sorry to hear you don't feel as though you have control of your life.

cohodk, you never addressed his comments about all of the decisions made behind closed doors that affect us all. Maybe you don't feel affected, but you are.

Jimmy, we've oft referred to that magical place around here called Baleyville, much akin to Potterville before the fall, where people go to work, everything is normal and things always work out for the best. It's not required that you be concerned about greater issues such as debt or unfunded liabilities or congressional malfeasance or corruption - because Baleyville is Teflon-coated.

So put on your rose-coloured glasses and see how life changes for the better. Don't worry much about the assaults on the middle class. As long as the big corporations and banks get a free ride, it's all good. >>

Sounds like a neat place. I wonder what happens to the people of Baleyville when it's no longer the home of magical bliss?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am not sure why anyone thinks we are trying to fix anything here.

The forum topic is economic news (and gold, silver) and related discussion, and how economic news may affect PMs. None of us (I presume) are world leaders, and world leaders do not monitor this forum for solutions and ideas.

Rates will NOT be going up in September!

There Is No Summer Rebound——The US Economy Is Flat And Inventories Are Building To Dangerous Levels

Why Is Gold Becoming Scarcer

For quite a while, we have been talking about scarcity in gold. The cobasis for both October and December is positive. These contracts are backwardated. The cobasis for the February 2016 contract is not far from backwardation. The gold market is tight. Why? Let’s explore. >>

No rate increase, well , ever and QE4 by year end is my voteimage >>

Can't really raise the rate unless they want to start the domino effect down. Like you said, I figure it will be more of the same. That's only delaying the inevitable a little longer.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>decisions made behind closed doors

There is nothing to address. And don't be fooled by Jimmy. He is Stan.

I'll let you guys wallow in your paranoia and solve the world's problems. I'm going forward. May the force be with you. Good luck. >>

As the saying goes: "If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's a duck"

BTW...silver is taking a beating this AM...once again below $15 >>

So you are on this same conspiracy theory team too?

Let me get this straight. Some other members posted on here with baseball icons. Because I do the same I am accused of being one of them? Don't you think if I were an alt coming here I would have picked something totally different than a baseball icon to come back under if that was the intent as is being suggested here?

I'm a Babe Ruth fan that has interests in this section of the forum too. When I signed up, I didn't know this forum would have members that are so hostile and paranoid to anyone that doesn't have the proper icon or name for that section of the forum. Maybe I should have signed up under my real name and posted my photo as the avatar and everything would have been ok? What would it take for a newer member to not be accused of being an alt? Weren't you guys new here at one time too? Were you treated with the same disrespect? If I am not welcome here, I will just leave. I never thought things would be this complicated on a message board. >>

wait let me finish crying like a little girl....
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a neat place. I wonder what happens to the people of Baleyville when it's no longer the home of magical bliss?

We move.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supply and demand are irrelevant.
    Investment silver demand draining COMEX vaults
    TF Metals Report watches deliveries carefully, and its researchers pointed out some unprecedented occurrences in July. In a typical month, 80 to 85% of contracts still open at expiration wind up in physical delivery of the bars. In July, this number was 135%. One or more major players “jumped the queue” and took delivery of about 6.5 million more ounces of silver out of COMEX warehouses than anticipated at the beginning of the month. This drawdown activity was masked completely by what happened to prices. Precious metals bulls are frustrated by the complete detachment between spot prices and physical demand. They’re wondering how that is even possible. The answer is that as long as only a tiny and manageable number of participants in futures markets for gold and silver actually demand delivery, spot prices can move independently of the fundamentals.

Upticks in Silver Demand Seen in First Half of 2015
    Additionally, the silver market is expected to be in a deficit of 57.7 million ounces in 2015, as supply contracts and physical demand grows. This would mark the third consecutive year that the market is in a physical deficit. When the market experiences an annual shortfall from mine supply, users must drawdown on above ground stocks, thereby tightening available supply.

Don't believe this though. In Cohodk's world, silver demand is down.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, snake oil salesmen are a persuasive bunch. This Comex nonsense gets repeated every year. But people fall for it and buy PMs from dealers like the author. Why change a good business model?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Don't believe this though. In Cohodk's world, silver demand is down.

In the actual world, silver price is down

• Options

<< <i>Don't believe this though. In Cohodk's world, silver demand is down.

In the actual world, silver price is down >>

Price is down. But that isn't stopping demand. So how does that work? Common sense would say if demand is still there, but the prices are down, that something fishy is going on.
  • Options
    The word you are fishing for is "supply"

• Options

<< <i>The word you are fishing for is "supply" >>

No, that's not the word unless you are a stock market supporting fiat bug.

There is plenty of beef in the grocery store, but you don't see it getting any cheaper.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices are always driven by: Supply & Demand. Except for gold & Silver, then it's some sort of market manipulation.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Prices are always driven by: Supply & Demand. Except for gold & Silver, then it's some sort of market manipulation.image >>

Why isn't that beef in the store getting any cheaper then? There is plenty of it in my area.

The big boys have been caught rigging just about every other sector of the financial market. I'm sure thieves and crooks wouldn't touch the metals markets though. image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Prices are always driven by: Supply & Demand. Except for gold & Silver, then it's some sort of market manipulation.image >>

Control the supply and demand for futures contracts and you control the price of precious metals.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

Control the supply and demand for futures contracts and you control the price of precious metals. >>

Right on the money.
  • Options
    How many players are there in the beef market?

• Options
    Why do retailers raise prices? Because they can!

Why do retailers lower prices? Because they have to!

• Options

<< <i>Control the supply and demand for futures contracts and you control the price of precious metals. >>

Price manipulation is a risky business. The FEDS coffers are flush with cash from those convicted and or corporations that have settled their misdeeds. Contrary to popular believe, by those advocating "market manipulations," it's difficult to pull off w/o being scrutinized by the FEDS. Who really controls the price of precious metals? I don't believe that one single entity, in today's environment, has the power to do so.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Control the supply and demand for futures contracts and you control the price of precious metals. >>

Price manipulation is a risky business. The FEDS coffers are flush with cash from those convicted and or corporations that have settled their misdeeds. Contrary to popular believe, by those advocating "market manipulations," it's difficult to pull off w/o being scrutinized by the FEDS. Who really controls the price of precious metals? I don't believe that one single entity, in today's environment, has the power to do so. >>

The FOMC (the feds) control the price of precious metals using the banks they pretend to have control over when in reality it is the same banks controlling the FOMC. The feds are not about to prosecute a big bank, let alone themselves. Levying fines on big banks is just the fed's way of getting it's share of the booty for allowing the scam to play out.

Something tells me you already knew this.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Price manipulation is a risky business. The FEDS coffers are flush with cash from those convicted and or corporations that have settled their misdeeds. Contrary to popular believe, by those advocating "market manipulations," it's difficult to pull off w/o being scrutinized by the FEDS. Who really controls the price of precious metals? I don't believe that one single entity, in today's environment, has the power to do so. >>

The FOMC (the feds) control the price of precious metals using the banks they pretend to have control over when in reality it is the same banks controlling the FOMC. The feds are not about to prosecute a big bank, let alone themselves. Levying fines on big banks is just the fed's way of getting it's share of the booty for allowing the scam to play out.

Something tells me you already knew this. >>

That is the number one tune on the Hit Parade, sung by those advocating manipulations. Oddly, it seldom is sung when gold or silver are on an upswing. Is there any recent substantiating proof, other than on line hear say or personal speculation? I have not seen any.
  • Options

<< <i>That is the number one tune on the Hit Parade, sung by those advocating manipulations. Oddly, it seldom is sung when gold or silver are on an upswing. Is there any recent substantiating proof, other than on line hear say or personal speculation? I have not seen any. >>

And you won't unless you open your eyes and your ears. Truth is something you search for, it does not fall out of the sky. Do not be one who believes what they want to based on internet info but is quick to dispel things they don't agree with simply because it was on the internet. Such an approach is nothing short of hypocritical.

Metal prices are allowed to rise (I'm sure for a profitable reason) as easily as they are forced to decline. Those doing the bidding of the FOMC do expect to make money in return for their services.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That is the number one tune on the Hit Parade, sung by those advocating manipulations. Oddly, it seldom is sung when gold or silver are on an upswing. Is there any recent substantiating proof, other than on line hear say or personal speculation? I have not seen any. >>

And you won't unless you open your eyes and your ears. Truth is something you search for, it does not fall out of the sky. Do not be one who believes what they want to based on internet info but is quick to dispel things they don't agree with simply because it was on the internet. Such an approach is nothing short of hypocritical.

Metal prices are allowed to rise (I'm sure for a profitable reason) as easily as they are forced to decline. Those doing the bidding of the FOMC do expect to make money in return for their services. >>

If that is "written in blood, why fight City Hall?" Learn to play their games and profit by it. image
  • Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Metal prices are allowed to rise ...; as easily as they are forced to decline.

Interesting choice of words image

• Options

<< <i>Metal prices are allowed to rise ...; as easily as they are forced to decline.

Interesting choice of words image >>

And that's why it's impossible to reason with some on this board.

I said the word once before and Don requested I don't do it again, so I wont, but it is blatantly obvious.

• Options
    That GREAT investor and world known environmentalist George Soros, the hero of the far left and the poverty stricken. Sold most of his other assets this pass week and is now buying Coal shares.
    Hey don’t fight the Fed or the Pinko’s, I bought in this morning!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Metal prices are allowed to rise ...; as easily as they are forced to decline.

Interesting choice of words image >>

And that's why it's impossible to reason with some on this board.

I said the word once before and Don requested I don't do it again, so I wont, but it is blatantly obvious. >>

Does the reasoning go something like this: All the financial markets are manipulated, including the stock markets and the commodities markets for precious metals. The powers that be manipulate stocks higher and precious metals lower, than the free markets for them would otherwise price them. Therefore, never buy stocks and only buy precious metals, at all times.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't believe this though. In Cohodk's world, silver demand is down.

In the actual world, silver price is down >>

Price is down. But that isn't stopping demand. So how does that work? Common sense would say if demand is still there, but the prices are down, that something fishy is going on. >>

Lol, it's ok Stan it will be ok, there's always something fishy goin on when one is losing there arse on a bad move they personally made in the market, especially PM's... You will be ok, no answer or fantasy, can change the move you made when you made it...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do retailers raise prices? Because they can!

Why do retailers lower prices? Because they have to! >>

Quite true, and often forgotten by those who insist that the cost of 'regulations' is invariably passed on to consumers in the form of higher prices.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GOLDSAINT

Didn't he buy about a million shares at $1.25?

Not a big play.

Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>Metal prices are allowed to rise ...; as easily as they are forced to decline. >>

Just had to re-quote this as a belueve it is most representative of the differences on this board. Stunning. Great work derryb.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Metal prices are allowed to rise ...; as easily as they are forced to decline. >>

Just had to re-quote this as a belueve it is most representative of the differences on this board. Stunning. Great work derryb.

image >>

Believe me, you and I are different in many other ways.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    I dont believe you. image

• Options
    Didn't he buy about a million shares at $1.25?
    Streeter

Yes I think that's right. He bought one million BTU and 500 thousand ARCH.
  • Options

<< <i>Streeter, I looked back a few pages, and this is the comment that seems to have derailed the thread. Jimmy didn't make the statement, btw.

Your theory of economics would dictate that increased demand translates to higher prices. That obviously hasn't happened. So either your theory is wrong of you are going to cop out to some manipulation or conspiracy theory. Believers of the latter either lack understanding of the subject or they demonstrate profound arrogance and paranoia. Have you ever met a humble conspiracist?

Clearly, if you think there's manipulation or a conspiracy to control prices (as it has been PROVEN countless times in various other markets), then you are a profoundly arrogant and paranoid nutbag.

Who derailed the thread? >>

Are the PM markets manipulated?
    Of course they are. Most markets are. China just manipulated its currency down. The US manipulates its currency and interest rates and the stock market. Large players in the PM markets probably routinely manipulate the markets to their favor.

But it always comes down to the law of supply and demand. The fact is though, we don't have enough visibility into all of the factors that go into what the supply and demand actually is, and then there is always perceived supply and perceived demand which make actual supply and actual demand less relevant. There's an infinite supply of paper PMs but a finite supply of real PMs, and yet the pricing remains and always has been very close. The reality is that by all indications there is ample supply of physical material. My local dealer(s) can fairly easily fill large orders. ETFs and the COMEX appear to be able to get all of the material they need (although recent reports show their inventories are extremely low). The links I posted a few days ago indicate that more silver is being consumed than is being produced. This can hold for a while until inventories are depleted.

So while we might perceive the low Comex inventories to be indications of future demand or lack of supply and it's important/useful to note these things and look for trends, as long as anyone can still buy the material they need the price isn't going anywhere. As I asked a few weeks ago, where is all of the material coming from? With sustained demand there will eventually be shortages to drive price increases.

Of course, then there there are complicating factors like the value of the USD. Given the size of the recent rally of the USD, I think PMs have held quite well.
  • Options
    The true demand should be 2 to 3 times the amount in ozs, tonnes, whatever your measure just to be even in demand at the higher price points, Since the price is that much lower, but obviously that true demand is not there....

Now the demand defined by the conspirators and those who are underwater on alot of investment inventory, that demand is seen through a different eye, and since it doesn't line up with the reality of price, then maybe its time to get ones eyes checked...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>as long as anyone can still buy the material they need the price isn't going anywhere. >>

When silver was three times higher there was still plenty of material available. Availability (supply) of the real stuff appears irrelevant to past price performance.

Must be something else driving prices.image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Agree 100% proofcollection

• Options
    Must be something else driving prices.

A firm understanding of markets, free of emotional turmoil, resolves your conundrum.

• Options
    I got to thinking old Soros may have been buying the coal companies to cover his short positions so I dumped 60% of my BTU today and kept 40% for FREE.
  • Options
    nice work saintie

• Options
    Unemployment rate at 5.1%. Lowest in 7 years. Wages rising at Walmart, Target, Aetna, Starbucks, Costco, wholefoods, TJ maxx, GE, Seattle, New York, Rhode Island, Maryland, Delaware.

Dont let this opportunity get away from you Chairwoman Yellen.

• Options
    Sooooo, I am still waiting on my answer to this?

If the Fed raises rates without selling out of its bond position, don’t they devalue their own position in the bonds they bought at lower rates?

Its not as if they can call on the Treasury to bail them out, the Government is broke, and I don’t think anyone can depend on China at this point to buy anything.
  • Options

<< <i>Sooooo, I am still waiting on my answer to this?

If the Fed raises rates without selling out of its bond position, don’t they devalue their own position in the bonds they bought at lower rates?

Its not as if they can call on the Treasury to bail them out, the Government is broke, and I don’t think anyone can depend on China at this point to buy anything. >>

Under proper accounting I suppose you would have to adjust the book value but I don't know if that's necessary or not. There is no technical loss if a bond is held until maturity.
  • Options

<< <i>Unemployment rate at 5.1%. Lowest in 7 years. Wages rising at Walmart, Target, Aetna, Starbucks, Costco, wholefoods, TJ maxx, GE, Seattle, New York, Rhode Island, Maryland, Delaware.

Dont let this opportunity get away from you Chairwoman Yellen. >>

They still can't, and won't do it.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under proper accounting I suppose you would have to adjust the book value but I don't know if that's necessary or not. There is no technical loss if a bond is held until maturity.

Mark-to-market was officially ended in 2008 when the FASB caved. Now, maybe we know why. It's all smoke & mirrors and it has been for 6 years already. It's whatever they want it to be as long as nobody complains too loudly.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Unemployment rate at 5.1%. Lowest in 7 years. Wages rising at Walmart, Target, Aetna, Starbucks, Costco, wholefoods, TJ maxx, GE, Seattle, New York, Rhode Island, Maryland, Delaware.

Dont let this opportunity get away from you Chairwoman Yellen. >>

They still can't, and won't do it. >>

Bond and dollar market may be saying otherwise.

• Options
    I'd like to see them raise a quarter point in the near future.

• Options

<< <i>I'd like to see them raise a quarter point in the near future. >>

It would be great for the economy.

• Options
    The quantity and quality of credit issued, and not it's cost, will continue to be a drag on the world-wide economy. While interest rates will greatly affect market participant perception (and therefore short term asset prices) they will have little affect on longer term reality.

- Nick Giambruno