Home Precious Metals
Options

GOLD AND SILVER, ECONOMIC NEWS, COINS, 2016

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1985, four years after silver dropped 70%, the same comments were expresaed about excessive govt spending, high unemployment, rapidly falling interest rates, more and more poor, increased govt meddling, and blah blah blah.

The PM'ers were licking their wounds. History does repeat.

Both of you live in areas with very strong housing markets and increasing population, yet you still beach and moan.

Dont worry, inflation will eventually come and bail you out of your terrible PM investments.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why are more people making less?

what people?

Mr. Median and Miss Mean?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In 1985, four years after silver dropped 70%, the same comments were expresaed about excessive govt spending, high unemployment, rapidly falling interest rates, more and more poor, increased govt meddling, and blah blah blah.

The PM'ers were licking their wounds. History does repeat.

Both of you live in areas with very strong housing markets and increasing population, yet you still beach and moan.

Dont worry, inflation will eventually come and bail you out of your terrible PM investments. >>

Strong housing markets are at the root of the scam . Houses should be as subject to deflation as anything else. The increasing prices of housing only benefit the woodticks anyway.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>why are more people making less?

what people?

Mr. Median and Miss Mean? >>

Most people. 70% of this country is struggling but don't worry if you're not one of them. We've got 90% smoke and 10% mirrors to keep'em thinking it's more than a downhill slide.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In 1985, four years after silver dropped 70%, the same comments were expresaed about excessive govt spending, high unemployment, rapidly falling interest rates, more and more poor, increased govt meddling, and blah blah blah. >>

You're the one trying to tie a poor economy to being positive or negative for PMs. I do not believe the two correlate reliably.
    And why would I want a poor economy?

<< <i>The PM'ers were licking their wounds. History does repeat. >>

For any asset or investment there will be times to get in and times to get out. Nothing goes straight up. What is your point? That at one point some people lost a lot of money on PMs? Of course they did. You can say the same thing bout anything. Repeatedly.

<< <i>Both of you live in areas with very strong housing markets and increasing population, yet you still beach and moan. >>

Why is strong housing price inflation something to be celebrated? Sure, it helps return on leveraged real estate investments which helps those in the industry, but since when is it good that your fiat continues to buy less and less? The fed has expressed a goal of 2% inflation. Why is a systematic annual 2% devaluation of your savings something to be desired?
    No one here is "beaching" or "moaning." Since when is it b&m'ing to discuss the factual state of the economy?
    If anything, you are the one b&m'ing that the fed won't raise rates. And why haven't they? Because there is no recovery. Fact. If you get rid of your biases maybe you can start to see it.

<< <i>Dont worry, inflation will eventually come and bail you out of your terrible PM investments. >>

I haven't made any terrible PM investments, and I am diversified.
    And I'm not going to rely on inflation to lift PM prices, there are other things that drive PM prices than just inflation. Where was inflation when gold went from $800 to $1900?
  • Options
    it.anything, you are the one b&m'ing that the fed won't raise rates. And why haven't they? Because there is no recovery. Fact. If you get rid of your biases maybe you can start to see it.

You need to take a global monetary course. The relative HIGH rates in this country are representive of a firm and stable economy.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>why are more people making less?

what people?

Mr. Median and Miss Mean? >>

Most people. 70% of this country is struggling .. >>

Actually, it's 50%

Half of all Americans are doing worse than the average American, and the other half are doing better than average.

This has always been true.

It's the "average" that moves around.

individuals gonna do what they gonna do

also, same as always.

• Options

<< <i>it.anything, you are the one b&m'ing that the fed won't raise rates. And why haven't they? Because there is no recovery. Fact. If you get rid of your biases maybe you can start to see it.

You need to take a global monetary course. The relative HIGH rates in this country are representive of a firm and stable economy. >>

And you need to pay attention to national and global economic indicators.
    The impending QE4 is not representative of a firm and stable economy - or indicative that we have recovered.
    QE Infinity Calls Continue: "QE4 Will Be Their Next Move"
  • Options
    Why should I watch national and global indicators when zerohedge will do it for me? LMAO. Hahaha

• Options

<< <i>Why should I watch national and global indicators when zerohedge will do it for me? LMAO. Hahaha >>

Well, your sources are no good, you still think ASE demand is down...

US Mint Increases Silver Eagle Allocation 43%
    The weekly allocation of 1,075,000 coins is nearly a 50% increase in the allocation Authorized Dealers were allotted just 2 weeks ago, which sent wholesale premiums soaring to $5/oz when the Mint made only 750,000 coins available.

The US Mint has sold 36,753,500 2015 Silver Eagle bullion coins this year, and is well on pace to shatter last year’s record of 44,006,000 coins sold- assuming the Mint continues producing coins through December.

As SD has documented, many of the Authorized Dealer wholesalers have already sold forward expected Silver Eagle allocations through early December, leaving a sharp shortage on the retail market of the US’ most popular silver investment product.

And just for fun...
    Silver Shortage to be Exacerbated By New Design for 2016 Silver Eagles?
  • Options
    I love watching you guys compete. image

You think PM'ERS will finally be willing to rid themselves of more phony money paper dolLars this year than last? I sure hope so. It's been a brutal bear market. A bear market that was not expected by a single PM pusher. So why their opinion matter today?

• Options
    Looks like the average price of silver in 2014 was about $19, and this year about $16. So ASE sales in units will have to be about 15-20% higher than in 2014 to match the same dollar volume.

Come on silver bloggers!!! Push it, push it. Push it real good.

• Options

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not if one has little understanding of demographics. This topic has been discussed extensively on this board for several years. The result desired by the doom and gloomers has yet to be experienced. They should revisit their assumptions to discover why they are consistently wrong. >>

Yet again, CAPT Revision ignores the 2008 blow up where $TRILLs in bail-outs were required around the world to keep the banks and corporations afloat. That was Act 1 of Doom and Gloom. Act 2 won't end as well. We were consistently right from 2001-2011 yet the fiat revisionists continue to ignore that...hence the monicker. If Cohdok were alive in 1934 he would have been saying, "what doom and gloom, the stock market is booming!"
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the average price of silver in 2014 was about $19, and this year about $16. So ASE sales in units will have to be about 15-20% higher than in 2014 to match the same dollar volume.

Come on silver bloggers!!! Push it, push it. Push it real good. >>

you want to measure demand in dollars of volume instead of ounces how do you figure? image

If I want a roll I buy a roll , thats 20 ounces . 20 coins , I don't say oh its a hair cheaper give me a roll and a loosey. I don't buy 19 either if the price goes up. If more units are being sold it means demand is up .

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh, not the 50 mil units is somehow less demand than 40 mil units again.
  • Options
    IS demand higher if 100 units are sold for 10, or if 80 units are sold for 15?

• Options
    Cohdok were alive in 1934 he would have been saying, "what doom and gloom, the stock market is booming!"

Cohodk drives his car looking out the front window.

• Options

<< <i>IS demand higher if 100 units are sold for 10, or if 80 units are sold for 15? >>

So if Cadillac sells 10,000 cars for $50k and Kia sells 20,000 cars for $20k, the demand for Cadillacs is greater?
    Interesting position.
  • Options
    So I guess the Feds balance sheet will go to over 5.5 Trillion if they end up absorbing all the U.S. Bonds China is needing to sell.

Several of us here have wondered over the years what happens to the dollar when countries like China greatly reduce their U.S. holdings. I see they dumped a bunch more today or yesterday.

Hey a Trillion here a Trillion there who cares? Lets play the stock market and Fantasy football.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>IS demand higher if 100 units are sold for 10, or if 80 units are sold for 15? >>

So if Cadillac sells 10,000 cars for $50k and Kia sells 20,000 cars for $20k, the demand for Cadillacs is greater?
    Interesting position. >>

If you think that's the same question it is indeed a interesting position.

• Options

<< <i> Cohdok were alive in 1934 he would have been saying, "what doom and gloom, the stock market is booming!"

Cohodk drives his car looking out the front window. >>

GDP grew 17% in 1934. 11% in 1935, 14% in 1936, and 10% in 1937. Stocks did quite well during this period.

Maybe you should start looking forward roadrunner, instead of backwards to 1975 or 1934. I understand it's comforting to revisit a enjoyable place, but your destiny lies in the future, not the past.

• Options

<< <i>So I guess the Feds balance sheet will go to over 5.5 Trillion if they end up absorbing all the U.S. Bonds China is needing to sell.

Several of us here have wondered over the years what happens to the dollar when countries like China greatly reduce their U.S. holdings. I see they dumped a bunch more today or yesterday.

Hey a Trillion here a Trillion there who cares? Lets play the stock market and Fantasy football. >>

Why would the US need to buy China's holdings? How did China amass so much US debt? Why would they need to sell some now? You say China just "dumped" some holdings, so what happened to the dollar?

• Options

Ask Henry Ford.
  • Options

Demand is measured in quantity. Sales are measured in dollars. Changing the price will usually affect demand.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Why this feels like a depression for most people

"The reason you don’t see huge lines of people waiting in soup lines during this Greater Depression is because the government has figured out how to disguise suffering through modern technology. During the height of the Great Depression in 1933, there were 12.8 million Americans unemployed. These were the men pictured in the soup lines. Today, there are 46 million Americans in an electronic soup kitchen line, as their food is distributed through EBT cards (with that angel of mercy JP Morgan reaping billions in profits by processing the transactions)."

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    You can look back at the past and learn from it, but when you don't learn from the past and greed takes over and no one tries to stop the criminal acts of a few, we are doomed for failure...America has lost it's balls! Americans have lost its future...The Past will Lead you to your Future if you so choose to study it!
  • Options
    Those who have created this mess, will live in guarded compounds and bunkers filled with food and all the amenities...but they will not live free or live free from worry. They are not strong enough to overcome what they have created for the rest of the world...What are these fiat dollars going to buy them when they are worthless pieces of paper. Keep on believing in your paper, because you deserve what fate is going to hand you!
  • Options

<< <i>

Demand is measured in quantity. Sales are measured in dollars. Changing the price will usually affect demand. >>

Correct. Everywhere but Cohodk's world, you can't meet demand buy raising prices...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Demand is measured in quantity. Sales are measured in dollars. Changing the price will usually affect demand. >>

Correct. Everywhere but Cohodk's world, you can't meet demand buy raising prices... >>

Lol. Only concept of economics is what you read in your newspaper. No wonder so many don't get it.

• Options

<< <i>You can look back at the past and learn from it, but when you don't learn from the past and greed takes over and no one tries to stop the criminal acts of a few, we are doomed for failure...America has lost it's balls! Americans have lost its future...The Past will Lead you to your Future if you so choose to study it! >>

Only those that agree with you have lost their balls.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think PM'ERS will finally be willing to rid themselves of more phony money paper dolLars this year than last? I sure hope so. It's been a brutal bear market. A bear market that was not expected by a single PM pusher. So why their opinion matter today?

Looks like the average price of silver in 2014 was about $19, and this year about $16. So ASE sales in units will have to be about 15-20% higher than in 2014 to match the same dollar volume.

When the price goes up and the number of ounces sold remains the same or drops, you will gloat over how demand is dropping.

Fact is, the PM market is small compared to stocks & bonds & real estate. It doesn't matter how many dollars us "PM'ERS" want to convert. What matters is what happens when the "money" runs out or what happens when the federal bills come due.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Correct. Everywhere but Cohodk's world, you can't meet demand buy raising prices... >>

Lol. Only concept of economics is what you read in your newspaper. No wonder so many don't get it. >>

I had some diatribe queued up but deleted it. I give you this instead, as a thread distraction.

just click it
  • Options

<< <i>You think PM'ERS will finally be willing to rid themselves of more phony money paper dolLars this year than last? I sure hope so. It's been a brutal bear market. A bear market that was not expected by a single PM pusher. So why their opinion matter today?

When the price goes up and the number of ounces sold remains the same or drops, you will gloat over how demand is dropping.

Fact is, the PM market is small compared to stocks & bonds & real estate. It doesn't matter how many dollars us "PM'ERS" want to convert. What matters is what happens when the "money" runs out or what happens when the federal bills come due. >>

It most certainly does matter how many dollars PM'ERS want to convert to PMs. This has been plainly evident over the last 10 years, and even longer. Plainly evident.

So you think the number of ounces sold will decline if price rises? That is not an example of bullish market dynamics. image You, and the rest of us PM'ERS, should want to see the number of ounces bought RISE with increasing prices.

• Options
    Something to think about on a Sunday morning. My Granddaughter says that Science has now proven that time moves so fast that we have no present and therefore no FREE WILL.

Since we have proven on this board time and again that there is no logic to the markets, or Government decisions for that matter, then perhaps she is correct. This is what she sent me

and it begs the question who the hell is running all this stuff down here???

“Einstein said that time and space must be considered together as, “Space Time”.

The velocity of something moving in space time changes the time line that one must consider. Therefore if a person is on a space ship traveling at warp two, two million miles per hour, then time is much different than someone one sitting on the planet Earth.

Time is created by the movement of atomic matter from one place to another.

As matter moves it allows us to judge time. The matter was here, and now it is there, and the time for it to move, is a certain amount of time. If nothing in the universe ever moved we would have no way to judge time, and it would therefore not exist.

So how fast are we moving if we are sitting in a chair on the planet Earth?

Here is the website where the numbers are provided, astrosociety.org/uitc.

http://www.astrosociety.org/edu/publications/tnl/71/howfast.html

To make one complete rotation in 24 hours, a point near the equator of the Earth must move at close to 1000 miles per hour (1600 km/hr).

In addition to spinning on its axis, the Earth also revolves around the Sun. We are approximately 93 million miles (150 million km) from the Sun, and at that distance, it takes us one year (365 days) to go around once. The full path of the Earth's orbit is close to 600 million miles (970 million km). To go around this immense circle in one year takes a speed of 66,000 miles per hour (107,000 km/hr)3.

Our Sun is just one star among several hundred billion others that together make up the Milky Way Galaxy. This is our immense "island of stars" and within it, each star is itself moving. Any planet orbiting a star will share its motion through the Galaxy with it. Our Sun and the Earth are moving at about 43,000 miles per hour (70,000 km/hr) roughly in the direction of the bright star Vega in the constellation of Lyra.

How fast do we have to move to make it around the Milky Way in one galactic year? It's a huge circle, and the speed with which the Sun has to move is an astounding 483,000 miles per hour (792,000 km/hr)!

How fast is the Milky Way Galaxy moving? The speed turns out to be an astounding 1.3 million miles per hour (2.1 million km/hr)! We are moving roughly in the direction on the sky that is defined by the constellations of Leo and Virgo. All totaled we are moving at nearly two millions miles per hour.

Sit for a minute and watch the second hand on a watch. Each time a second clicks by the last second is in the past, and the next second is in the future. Since no one on Earth has invented time travel, none of us are able to go back into the past, or forward into the future, but wait something is missing! We know where the past is and we can make assumptions about the future, but are these the only parts of time?

This is your question to answer?

Here is a hint: Aristotle said, “ the times in which we live contain no “NOWS”.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Anyone notice where Russia is? Iran is? Tuff talk out of N. Korea?

They have us flanked all over the world NOW~coincidence or well plannedimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    ? where is my post?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    It most certainly does matter how many dollars PM'ERS want to convert to PMs. This has been plainly evident over the last 10 years, and even longer. Plainly evident.

This is only the case if you consider PM'ers as the only relevant participants in the market. Unless you construct a logic similar to Bill Clinton's, "it depends on what the definition of is, is." Limiting the universe of relevant PM market participants may explain some of the price movement for the past 4 years, but not for the past 10. The reality is that people become brand-new PM'ers when things aren't going so well, or when the perception is that things might not be as great as what the state-influenced media says.

I would contend that the number of market participants will expand mainly when perceptions change - and that will drive price increases. Historically, that is the case. I'm ok with that because I also know that perceptions can change quickly and I'd rather be vested in advance of "a problem" than after it appears out of nowhere. In the meantime, I use Baley's time-proven approach of portfolio rebalancing, although not with the exact same financial instruments as him.

So you think the number of ounces sold will decline if price rises? That is not an example of bullish market dynamics. You, and the rest of us PM'ERS, should want to see the number of ounces bought RISE with increasing prices.

Show me where I said that. We both know that the number of ounces varies, and not necessarily as the price rises or falls. If we want to have a constructive dialog, let's both keep it somewhat grounded.image

Good stuff, GS. Your daughter is thinking! That's always an advantage!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Very good stuff jmski and GS, have been a casual student of general and special relativity and quantum mechanics for some time (the definition of "some" being relative image )
    Currently reading From Eternity to Here by Sean Carroll, very good book, kind of a follow-up to Hawking's Brief History of Time, another of my favorite theoretical physicists is Roger Penrose, these are guys who can help a layman understand these mind-blowing principles and the enormous time and space scales in which this universe operates.

Of course, people don't have near-light-speed spaceships or access to the event horizons of black holes, all we have is our local 'villes and their respective particles of matter and energy fields with which to work

• Options
    Just reread your post Jmski..it's plainly evident.

The speed of light is about 670 million miles per hour, so warp 2 would be about 1.3 billion miles per hour, not 2 million as your grand daughter wrote. That may seem like a relatively small error, yet it is astronomical.

I have written at great length on this forum about time. It is our most misunderstood, misused and abused asset. We frequently view it as having the ability to heal wounds or bail us out of an unfortunate decision. Yet it does neither. It cannot be created, only destroyed. So valuable, yet so wasted.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    And if you were going warp 2, twice the speed of light, time would run backwards for you...

There is a concrete astrophysical connection to our PMs... Every atom of those metals was made in a supernova star, and blasted out into space by an incredible blast of neutrinos. Then gathered up by us.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And if you were going warp 2, twice the speed of light, time would run backwards for you...

There is a concrete astrophysical connection to our PMs... Every atom of those metals was made in a supernova star, and blasted out into space by an incredible blast of neutrinos. Then gathered up by us. >>

Gathered up? We are all still hunter-gatherers. Some hunt, some gather, some both but none do neither. That can't change until the end.

• Options

• Options

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why this feels like a depression for most people

"The reason you don’t see huge lines of people waiting in soup lines during this Greater Depression is because the government has figured out how to disguise suffering through modern technology. During the height of the Great Depression in 1933, there were 12.8 million Americans unemployed. These were the men pictured in the soup lines. Today, there are 46 million Americans in an electronic soup kitchen line, as their food is distributed through EBT cards (with that angel of mercy JP Morgan reaping billions in profits by processing the transactions)." >>

Lol, the people you follow are clueless ...
    Lol...

07-12-2011, 10:10 PM #1 rawteam1
    the clandestine depression
    its worse than anyone knows or thinks............................

its outta sight, therefore out of the minds of the people....................

it hit me tonight....reflecting on o'blabba's speech on 70 million checks going out august 3...........................

using round numbers for simplicity.............
    usa population 311 million..................27% are under 20yrs old.......
    so 227 left..........................so over 30% of the people and obviously more depending on dependents are on some type of govt handouts to subsist...

they are all gettin checks in the mail, hence no soup lines like the great depression...... a hidden depression so great that it demands air conditioning & cellphones....................

the soup kitchens have become mickey d's, burger king, wendy's, numerous other fast food places......... & mini marts sellin booze & cigs......................
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Hey Van Halen I liked this, “Gathered up? We are all still hunter-gatherers. Some hunt, some gather, some both but none do neither. That can't change until the end.”

Well its my Granddaughter and not my daughter, and her warp 2 may not be the speed of light. As a millennial she wants all her data based on science and technology.
    She is very weird, she has no interest in signing a 30 year mortgage, no interest in going in hock for 8 years to buy a car, is happy that Obama does not want to waste U.S. blood and treasure around the world being the worlds tough guy. She is more than happy to let Putin be a show off as long as it is Russian money being wasted, and Russian blood being spilled, in wars that have already lasted 1,000 years.

I must say though that she is very hard to argue with. She pulls out her little IPod and bases all of here arguments on facts off the internet.
  • Options
    The speed of light is about 670 million miles per hour, so warp 2 would be about 1.3 billion miles per hour, not 2 million as your grand daughter wrote. That may seem like a relatively small error, yet it is astronomical.

She made no error in her statement, but you may want to review your conversion factors.image

Correction, ****cohodk was correct**** on the speed of light. I was referring to our speed of 2 million mph, as mentioned later in the writeup.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Yup if its on the net it's got to be true. image
    Avid collector of GSA's.