Home Precious Metals

GOLD AND SILVER, ECONOMIC NEWS, COINS, 2016

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2017 6:38AM

Unfunded liabilities are no longer a concern.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

edited May 5, 2017 6:40AM

Yep, things are better. The "can kicking" has ceased. :/

The long term outlook for many things, remains unchanged.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

The long term outlook for many things, remains unchanged.

Yup, we all gonna die someday. I just hope we spend more of our days enjoying life rather than being concerned about it. Many on this forum don't have that many 5 year periods left.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2017 1:10PM

One EMP and the banking system goes down. The case for owning gold & silver as a disaster hedge is still valid, but cohodk is right - once you are somewhat prepared, there's no point in spending time ruminating about all the problems. There will always be pressing problems.

Still, you're an idiot if you ignore them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2017 7:02PM

Some forum members aren't worth having "discussions" with any more. You can't lead that horse to water. More than fulfilled having market/economic discussions on a daily basis on other forums over the past 3 yrs. That's probably where "others" have gone as well. Kudo's to Derryb, Jmski52 and others for keeping the flame lit.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

I find it interesting how the comments in multi year threads on this forum, have so closely followed the comments and emotions expressed in this chart. Seriously, this is some amazing stuff. And I think it demonstrates that markets can, to a fairly accurate extent be predicted.

@roadrunner said:
    Some forum members aren't worth having "discussions" with any more. You can't lead that horse to water. More than fulfilled having market/economic discussions on a daily basis on other forums over the past 3 yrs. That's probably where "others" have gone as well. Kudo's to Derryb, Jmski52 and others for keeping the flame lit.

Yes Roadrunner, people do often flock to groups with similar viewpoints so as their opinions can be validated. Kudos to Derryb, Jmski52, Baley, and others for keeping this forum on an even keel, and representing a more true and accurate representation of America.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@roadrunner said:

Yes Roadrunner, people do often flock to groups with similar viewpoints so as their opinions can be validated. Kudos to Derryb, Jmski52, Baley, and others for keeping this forum on an even keel, and representing a more true and accurate representation of America.

Include yourself in that category.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Those that keep reminding us of how great the economy is need to be reminded t> @cohodk said:

I find it interesting how the comments in multi year threads on this forum, have so closely followed the comments and emotions expressed in this chart. Seriously, this is some amazing stuff. And I think it demonstrates that markets can, to a fairly accurate extent be predicted.

I believe I have been quite consistent with my opinions and with my outlook. No roller coaster here.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you're quite consistent in your positive outlook for silver, regardless of the current price and long and short term trends. You also are remarkably good at reporting -- after the fact -- that you made good money on the short side when it goes down.... which it has done again and again since the blowoff top in 2011, which many here called as a top in real time.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

No roller coaster, for sure though a super giant slalom ...

keceph `anah

big increase in gold exports.

So SRS got this info from the Fed, US mint or Treasury, eh???...

To the moon...

keceph `anah
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody catch "Mornings with Maria" today on Fox Business News? One of their expert guests predicted a major equity market sell-off this October. They went over the the Big W, the banking algorithms, The Fed's balance sheet and interest rate hikes, Trump's planned stimulus and repatriation of offshore USD and the downsizing of the supply of USD. It was an interesting interview with a quite attractive young woman. :) The implied sell-off was ~1/3 of today's equity prices and could create an excellent buying opportunity next year. When we hit the peak "in the middle of the W" could be this summer and could be next winter with October being the median timeframe.

Oh and she said Trump will get blamed for it but it's baked in and was long before Trump got elected but I guess we already knew that.

@rawteam1 said:

To the moon...

I thought the FED was buying the gold? Now it's being dumped in the world markets?

@cohodk said:

@rawteam1 said:

To the moon...

I thought the FED was buying the gold? Now it's being dumped in the world markets?

Word is, they are buying to sell, to keep the price down...

keceph `anah

Well sometimes the story changes to fit what the teller wants the listener to think

edited May 12, 2017 5:22PM

I thought that the Fed was buying everything, except for gold. Especially Treasury debt. With their own imaginary money. Derivatives up the wazoo.

I knew it would happen.
    edited May 12, 2017 5:24PM

I know it always sounds like a sensationalized overblown paranoid rant, but I'm going to say it anyway. I find it to be completely nuts to allow a private, closely-held group of banks, owned by a very small, tight-knit group of elitists to control the money supply, monetary policies, and in effect - the whole Western World!s economic direction and can be left in such a position as to dictate what Western governments decide whether it's good for "the people" or not. The Fed needs to go, permanently.

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    I thought that the Fed was buying everything, except for gold. Especially Treasury debt. With their own imaginary money. Derivatives up the wazoo.

They were, but now thru the treasury via the mint and immediately on dry ships frieght to the east, they are the biggest buyers of gold and silver since jp Morgan cornered the physical silver market...

keceph `anah
    edited May 16, 2017 4:10PM

There is no plan B

"The economy no longer works, and the Status Quo has no Plan B. All the Status Quo has is policies that no longer work: lowering interest rates (10 years and counting), fiscal stimulus (10 years and counting) and monetary easing/stimulus (10 years and counting).

Why is fiscal stimulus now a permanent policy? The answer is uncomfortable: if fiscal stimulus is withdrawn (or even trimmed), the economy immediately goes into a self-reinforcing contraction.

As for near-zero interest rates: after 10 years of supposed "recovery," central banks are terrified of pushing rates higher by quarter-point baby-steps, for the same reason that fiscal stimulus cannot be withdrawn: raising interest rates to historic norms would immediately send the economy into contraction."

Got gold?

edited May 16, 2017 4:42PM

But the inconvenient reality is these Keynesian policies no longer work. Fiscal stimulus (governments borrowing and spending trillions more than they did before the recession) has continued for a decade--or in Japan's case, almost three decades.

Look how this guy contradicts himself. Lol

Mr Smith demonstrates his lack of knowledge of intermarket relationships and does not realize the global central banks have been a hindrance to economic growth.

His thinking is very reactionary and backward. Sad that so many think the same, although this does open the door of opportunity for those who know. Eventually the fat cats will tire of feeding on fear.

edited May 16, 2017 4:50PM

@cohodk said:
    Mr Smith demonstrates his lack of knowledge of intermarket relationships and does not realize the global central banks have been a hindrance to economic growth.

But as usual you do. You demonstrate your lack of knowledge on how the FED wags the world tail when it comes to central banks.

Global central banks are doing the only thing they can - react to FED policy to best protect their own puppet masters. Mr. Smith correctly points out that FED policy has been the hindrance to our own economic growth. It has a very long ripple effect to other nations because of previous successful moves to have a "global" economy. Your claim that global central banks have been a hindrance to economic growth (yet you defend FED policy at every opportunity) is proof that globalization is not such a great idea. Mr. Smith just proves your beloved FED is at fault.

edited May 16, 2017 5:02PM

And Mr Smith ends his ignorance by begging....

If you found value in this content, please join me in seeking solutions by becoming a $1/month patron of my work via patreon.com.
    Check out both of my new books, Inequality and the Collapse of Privilege ($3.95 Kindle, $8.95 print) and Why Our Status Quo Failed and Is Beyond Reform ($3.95 Kindle, $8.95 print, $5.95 audiobook)

LMFAO!!!

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

But as usual you do. You demonstrate your lack of knowledge on how the FED wags the world tail when it comes to central banks.

Global central banks are doing the only thing they can - react to FED policy to best protect their own puppet masters. Mr. Smith correctly points out that FED policy has been the hindrance to our own economic growth. It has a very long ripple effect to other nations because of previous successful moves to have a "global" economy. Your claim that global central banks have been a hindrance to economic growth (yet you defend FED policy at every opportunity) is proof that globalization is not such a great idea. Mr. Smith just proves your beloved FED is at fault.

Lol....I am clearly on record in this forum having written many, many times for several years that the Fed needs to raise rates.

You really do hear what you want. Sad.

@cohodk said:

If you found value in this content, please join me in seeking solutions by becoming a $1/month patron of my work via patreon.com.
    Check out both of my new books, Inequality and the Collapse of Privilege ($3.95 Kindle, $8.95 print) and Why Our Status Quo Failed and Is Beyond Reform ($3.95 Kindle, $8.95 print, $5.95 audiobook)

LMFAO!!!

Steven Hawking peddles books. Guess that makes him an idiot as well.

Martin Armstrong's Paradox of Solution: "whenever a government (or central bank) creates a solution to any crisis, that solution becomes the next crisis."

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

LMFAO!!!

Steven Hawking peddles books. Guess that makes him an idiot as well.

Yup.

Einstein, Newton, Galileo, Tesla, and Cohodk never peddled books. ;)

@cohodk said:
    >

You really do hear what you want. Sad.

Confirmation bias is running rampant on this planet. Understandable, because it's
    Easier and more comfortable than reading a variety of sources and really thinking.

Yes Baley, and unfortunately it's become so much easier to find similar beliefs via the internet. A person's voice that was once only heard in a small town can now reach around the world and desperate people are constantly seeking reassurance.

The psychology of masses can reach new levels and extremes. It's quite fascinating and I believe it will lead to greater volatility in economic, political and social cycles, as we have gotten a glimpse of recently.

On a relative basis, the world scene has been rather benign for the past 40 years. That could be changing.

Never thought Hawking was all that bright. Handsome man though..

Broken States of the Union

"Economic denial is about to square up to economic reality, and reality always wins! At the end of the day, a broken state is a broken you."

@derryb said:
    Broken States of the Union

"Economic denial is about to square up to economic reality, and reality always wins! At the end of the day, a broken state is a broken you."

I hope someone warned Gecko about his pension.

Gecko will be first in line demanding that Illinois' pension funds be bailed out by the Feds. And it's questionable as to whether or not that might happen. It's all so easy when there's no accountability.

I knew it would happen.

tax increases are their only real option.

@derryb said:

If they can get blood from a stone.

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

You underestimate, again.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

You underestimate, again.

Oh, you will see higher taxes...that's a given...no brainer.

These higher taxes will help resolve some of the problem you fear.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Mike Madigan got the Senate votes to override the Governor's veto. Now the House votes and they'll likely pass it. No real spending cuts, higher taxes and enough additional revenue to cover Illinois' unpaid bills for a few years at best. It's not pretty.

So, diversification? That's a thing that's not new

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. As long as it is pure gold. If is mixed with something like lead, then you're in trouble. If you're talking about Der Lachs Goldwasser Liqueur then you're fine. That's one expensive drink.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Ultimate sign of excess?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beyond ego, there is literally no reason for consuming gold....Ludicrous excess... Cheers, RickO

edited September 21, 2017 7:20PM

Robert Shiller: The one thing preventing a 1929 like crash

"Market psychology."

I wonder just how quickly that can change.

I hear tell that we've reached a permanently high plateau in stocks.

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    I hear tell that we've reached a permanently high plateau in stocks.

So never inflation?

So never inflation?

Prevention of a deflationary crash via quantitative easing - is my best guess.

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    So never inflation?

Prevention of a deflationary crash via quantitative easing - is my best guess.

Please expound.