Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have been clear in my criticism of psa's hndling of light snow.

True, but if they eased up a lot of $200+ PSA 9s would drop to $20 overnight, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>Believe it or not, that particular Rogers is beyond common. It is one of the "cut card case" versions that you see on ebay now and then. They are all the same. Awesome centering, sharp, scan pretty well, light snow and just short. The only way to get a natural short other than red/ green yellow.

I have a literal stack of them. I think they were in the pic i posted a ways back with the stacks of cards.

I dont mean to knock it. Its a beautiful card and i have been clear in my criticism of psa's hndling of light snow. >>

I am surprised there are not more than 5 psa 9Qs for Rogers given it is beyond common. I should be getting a few others back soon.looking forward to collecting again
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I grabbed a stack of 50~ quick. The real giveaway is that the card is just short of full sized. Bulk, cut case cards came like that. The Rogers is much like the Christensen. If you haven't been around this set a lot, it doesn't seem like it should be a hard 9 at all. However, clean cards are centered all over the place and the centered ones have snow:
    [URL=http://s610.photobucket.com/user/jimduffett/media/Oct2134_zpse4059056.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Indy78Indy78 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    RodneyCline: Would you be willing to post more photos of the 9PD Rogers? Although the centering, card dimensions, and coloring point toward a cut card case card, I'm not convinced it's from a cut card case. From what I can tell from your photo, the edge cuts don't look to me like the typical edge cuts of card from a cut card case, but rather the edge cuts from a typical packaged (wax, cello, or rack) Mini.

Edited to add: To be clear what I'm saying about the edges, go to page 54 of this thread and look at the photos MiniDuff posted of the cut card case cards. He described it accurately as follows:

The sheen the cards show is hard to see in a photo, but I am talking about the left edge when they are all laid on their side in a box. Vending has a particular look, you all know the look. These on the other hand "shine" and lay perfectly even.

The bottom edge of a cut card case card will have a similar pressed cut that shines, although the shine and pressed look usually is not as prominent as that of the left edge. From the photo of the 9PD card, I don't see a left or bottom edge with that pressed look, rather I see edges with the more typical cut of a wax pack card.
    Anybody notice the closing price for that Davis #564 in PSA 7 on eBay last night? That's a nice card for the grade. Full size examples of that card with nice corners and edges are getting tougher to find even in a grade of 7.

• << <i>Anybody notice the closing price for that Davis #564 in PSA 7 on eBay last night? That's a nice card for the grade. Full size examples of that card with nice corners and edges are getting tougher to find even in a grade of 7. >>

Davis PSA7 = 25.37 (3 different bidders over 18.00)

BTW - January 2014 I'll post the one year changes in prices for PSA8 and PSA9 minis...I spent a day going through many of the cards and I am predicting around a 20-35% increase in VCP prices (notwithstanding that many of the lower pops have not even come up for auction this year!). Also, I am noticing that especially among PSA9s with pops between 11-20 the number of offerings this year has been substantially lower than in the past. Just some teasers.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!

• << <i> I am surprised there are not more than 5 psa 9Qs for Rogers given it is beyond common. I should be getting a few others back soon.looking forward to collecting again >>

There are only 45 8s and only 3! 9s. You should not be surprised, look at the Rogers that Jim showed and that is what you'll find...an Alaska level of snow only equaled by many of the Green/Yellows like Davis and C. Wash...
    Honestly, most of my 8s are pretty O/C. I have one beautiful 9, and I have seen two. I'll try to photobucket the jpgs soon. A strong full-sized 8 that is nicely centered should command a premium IMO.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    So, out of these Pop 1 and Pop 2 PSA 9s, which one has been the most stagnant in recent years, in relation to pop numbers not moving:

Tommy Davis
    Claudell Washington
    Dave Giusti
    Ken Singleton
    John Montague
    Ross Grimsley
    Lew Krausse

Mark

<< <i>So, out of these Pop 1 and Pop 2 PSA 9s, which one has been the most stagnant in recent years, in relation to pop numbers not moving:

Tommy Davis - Dead, the only 9 was graded by me and beyond a gift
    Claudell Washington - Dead, only one forever
    Dave Giusti - Dead, have not seen a new full sized 9 in years
    Ken Singleton - most common of this group
    John Montague - I graded the one new 9 here, I think Henry has it now? Sweet card and a beast
    Ross Grimsley - Dead
    Lew Krausse - Dead

Mark >>

Any of the above would be a 1k card today, full sized, with the exception imo of the singleton.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Okay, I am surprised no one has linked this yet. PSA 10 Brett Mini in the Heritage auction ending in a couple weeks. How high will this go? It is already north of 10K. I predict it will shoot over 15K what say you guys?

Brett PSA10
    I say that I am in denial at the existance of that card with its visible to the naked eye touch on the lower right corner while mine sits in a 9 slab...infuriating.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    That said, it is a beautiful card and there is pent up Brett demand, i'll take the over and guess 18k with the juice.

Higher is better. My own SGC 98 Regular 75 Topps Brett (The only one) is going in the December Mile High Auction...
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • ok back to collecting after awhile ive quietly been putting together a psa 8 75 mini set for 6 years now but have hit a wall. im not not on the set registry im not into all that competition. but if anybody has extra psa 8 for sale please let me know or if you know someone who has alot pm me this is what i need

i know some of these are still tough ones but alot are still easy ones hoping with all the mini collectors on the registry i could get some help here thanks
  • schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭

<< <i>So, out of these Pop 1 and Pop 2 PSA 9s, which one has been the most stagnant in recent years, in relation to pop numbers not moving:

Tommy Davis
    Claudell Washington
    Dave Giusti
    Ken Singleton
    John Montague
    Ross Grimsley
    Lew Krausse

Mark >>

Can someone tell me what the reviewer meant by centering in the yellow tape? I don't get how this card is not a 9 or at the very least an 8.5. The back is not centered well but it appears to be within the 90/10 needed for a 9. The corners are super sharp. I pulled this from a wax pack from a group rip over a year ago.

Any comments would be appreciated.

[URL=http://s426.photobucket.com/user/schapko27/media/75ToppsMiniWashingtonFront_zps93d6ec7a.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s426.photobucket.com/user/schapko27/media/75ToppsMiniWashingtonBack_zps32db0a98.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
    The front L/R centering looks ok for a 9, so I'm guessing the tape was moved or misplaced before it got to you. I think the back L/R centering is the main problem that holds it to an 8 in addition to stray yellow ink and the fisheye on the front. Overall, it doesn't look like a 9 to me. Nonetheless, that's a very nice pull on a super tough Mini. Congrats!
    With back centering like that and the usual print defect on the left edge on front (as well as some stray yellow ink on top right side), an 8 is correct grade for that card. Personally, I'd be very disappointed if I purchased a Mint 9 card that looked like that.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Agree with Indy and Grote. Very nice card and a very tough 8, but not the second 9.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭

<< <i>Agree with Indy and Grote. Very nice card and a very tough 8, but not the second 9. >>

I'd settle for the first 8.5.
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone explain what a "cut case" is?
    Can someone explain what a "cut case" is?

We had a discussion about it in this thread in March of this year. It starts on page 53 (March 1, 2013). There's an explanation of a cut card case there.

<< <i>Can someone explain what a "cut case" is?

We had a discussion about it in this thread in March of this year. It starts on page 53 (March 1, 2013). There's an explanation of a cut card case there. >>

I have never seen and do not believe that there were cut card cases for 75 minis. I have seen them for other years/issues, though.

• HERE WE GO! Indeed this may be the best 9 I have seen image

Yount PSA9
  • Sorry here is the link to the auction not the bid history - PSA is not letting me stay logged on - its a glitch all the "best and brightest" are working on Healthcare.gov site

Yount 9
    Should be nice. Scroll way back, it is one of the sheet cuts. Wont stop me from bidding, just have some fun and check out certs 10 up and down from that one.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions

<< <i>Should be nice. Scroll way back, it is one of the sheet cuts. Wont stop me from bidding, just have some fun and check out certs 10 up and down from that one. >>

Oh my Lord! Keep going past 10 up and you get to the Bretts, too! Multiple PSA 10s and a slew of 9s! Anyone know whose sub this is and when it was graded?

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I think I will wait on a few more to come out to get my Yount 9, there seems to more coming down the pike!

• << <i>I think I will wait on a few more to come out to get my Yount 9, there seems to more coming down the pike! >>

IMO there is no future pipeline of Yount rookies. There were 71 when I destroyed 4 cut Yount rookies (big loss there). There has not been a single Yount 9 graded since (pop still at 67). I suspect that the days of Mini sheet-cut cards is over (just my guess). So I would not expect to see many of these in the future. You will be able to get in cheaply when one of the existing short Younts come up. There are 5 that seem to get circulated and resold every couple years (there may be more but I have not seen them). That alone has kept the price depressed (similar to what happened with the Bretts and many of the low pop 9s). So don't use VCP as a guide...for minis it is much less useful than other years.
    That is. verrry old sub. Those cards have long since been swallowed up. Don't know who's sob it was, but some pristine examples for sure.

My point actually amplifies Henry's. Back that abberation of a sub out and look at the pop and difficulty of yount and brett as well, but less so.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions

• << <i>I think I will wait on a few more to come out to get my Yount 9, there seems to more coming down the pike! >>

...on the other hand, almost every time a card like this comes up and gets a hammer price - it usually pries several dormant specimens from seclusion image I suspect we might see a few more 9s pop up soon based on what looks to be an epic auction

• << <i>ok back to collecting after awhile ive quietly been putting together a psa 8 75 mini set for 6 years now but have hit a wall. im not not on the set registry im not into all that competition. but if anybody has extra psa 8 for sale please let me know or if you know someone who has alot pm me this is what i need

i know some of these are still tough ones but alot are still easy ones hoping with all the mini collectors on the registry i could get some help here thanks >>

Nice job! I would recommend you put your cards on the registry. It is not really competitive, also this will come in handy if your cards (God forbid) ever get stolen! This registry saved my a** when my next-door neighbor stole my cards and stored them for a year. He was too afraid to sell them because I told him they were all registered.
    BTW several of the cards you need are up for BINs.
    Also, this card just popped up, I suggest you grab this before I do image It is one of the nicest 8s I have seen

458 PSA8 Grimsley
    It is a stunner for sure. Been noodling on it myself.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Not surprising at all to see that list of cards needed to complete the set in PSA 8. Anyone who's put the set together in PSA 8 or better knows all to well how tough it gets when you get inside 75-100 cards to finish. If you think it's tough now, just wait until your down to your last 10 cards. Unless Henry stops building sets, you could be in for a long journey to completion. Yes, nice looking #458, at a BIN just a little on the high side. Definitely priced for a collector a few cards shy of completion, lol.

I agree with Henry, it's a good idea to get your set on the PSA Set Registry. It not only documents the cert numbers in your set, it makes it easier to glance over what cards you have/need. You can make it private so nobody else can look at what you have/need. You would also have the option of posting scans of any cards in your set. Best of luck with your set!
  • That Brett PSA 10 Mini in the Heritage Auction is now at $9,500 plus 19.5% or just under $12K. The Jim Rice Mini is at $4,185 plus 19.5% or just over $5K. There's still more than a week before the auction ends! Some folks out there like the Mini's image
    The Grimsley has been around for a couple of weeks, and now looks like it sold on the seller's web site earlier today. There was a better looking one for sale by Grote, I think, some time during the summer that went for around $80 on a BIN. I remember it lasted like 15 minutes before someone hit the BIN.
  • Thanks for the update Indy. It looks like there are 5-7 new collectors starting to build the set, yet there are over 1200 PSA auctions now, with a wide-assortment of cards that do not seem over-priced to me. It is a very interesting time to be in this set - hell even BBCE is getting into the Mini spirit and are selling some gems!
  • DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    yet there are over 1200 PSA auctions now

Actually, only 70 or so auctions - the rest are BINS, a simple majority of which have been incessantly recycled/relisted for months and months; some over a year old.

• << <i>yet there are over 1200 PSA auctions now

Actually, only 70 or so auctions - the rest are BINS, a simple majority of which have been incessantly recycled/relisted for months and months; some over a year old. >>

Good point Dave,
    I stand corrected.
    BTW BBCE getting in the mini action? They have several sweet HLs for sale including this gem. I suspect a true HAMMER on this one. Very low pop (probably less than 10 full-sized 9s).

1975 Mini Ryan HL #5 = 375.00

Very interesting cards up between this, the Yount 9, and the Brett 10 at Heritage.
    That Ryan 5 was one one of my white whales, along with Brooks for the longest time. Even though I hit far bigger cards on my crazy sub last year and sold most of the hits, my self subbed 9 of that card was the one I cared most about and kept. I think we might see a new level when that one ends.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    14,340 for the Brett 10, congrats to the winner. 7k+ for the Rice 10 as well, so grats there as well.

I might have to up my review cycle to twice a year at that number.... minga!
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions

• << <i>14,340 for the Brett 10, congrats to the winner. 7k+ for the Rice 10 as well, so grats there as well.

I might have to up my review cycle to twice a year at that number.... minga! >>

Damn! I screwed up big-time. I was working out thinking that this auction would be like memory lane and go on for hours, but then got home and discovered all the auctions closed! I was going to go 9K for the Rice since I knew that at least 2 of the tens are short image
    Brett was beyond me, but I lost out on several great 10s through the 70s I was going to gun for.
    I did the EXACT same thing on the mini set. I was the leading bidding for a week or more, got an email about an outbid by 100, put my daughter to bed, went downstairs to rebid and found it closed for less than I was willing to pay... woops.

The set had a PSA 9 Palmer and Rice as well as Brett 8, Decinces 10, etc. They did grade a number of commons, so I dont know how much was untapped, but clearly the set was sharp and I realllly wanted to see what the low pops looked like.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I wasn't paying attention to this auction at all. It's interesting that the Rice went for $7K. As a Rice collector and a Mini collector that would have been fun for me to watch. I know that the guy that bought another one of the Rice PSA 10s (the one Dmitry Young owned for a while) and he got A LOT less for that card when he sold it in the past couple weeks. If memory serves me though, that one looked a little short.
    I'm really pumped about this latest sub that just popped:

1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 308 R.B.I. LEADERS J.BURROUGHS/J.BENCH Card
    2 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 442 MAXIMINO LEON Card
    3 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 234 TOM GRIEVE Card
    4 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 39 ANDY THORNTON Card
    5 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 314 BUCK MARTINEZ Card
    6 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 508 BOB HANSEN Card

and this one from last week:

1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 34 STEVE RENKO Card
    2 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 108 TOM HALL Card
    3 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 134 RON HODGES Card
    4 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 467 ED HALICKI Card
    5 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1976 TOPPS 240 PETE ROSE Card
    6 MINT 9 1976 TOPPS 373 JOHNNY BRIGGS Card

I'd been having a bit of a dry spell lately, but these last two subs really lifted my spirits.
    Oh My God! Huge grats on the Briggs!!! I have five different orders in with 2300~ cards total and I think I have worn out the refresh button over the last month or two...
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Bless the bidder who outbid me within the last few hours left on that PSA 10 Brett Mini. I wanted that card in a big way, and was willing to shell out over $13K for it. One of the few times I've felt both regret and relief equally after the close of an auction item I was bidding on. I went pretty hard at the Rice as well. Both of these cards sold for nearly twice there most recent market value! Granted they appeared to be at the top of there class. I figured the Brett would maybe get to $10K and the Rice to $5K. The fact that they went well beyond these figures speaks highly of the respect many of the high end cards from this set are getting. Clearly the bar has been raised. image

• << <i>I did the EXACT same thing on the mini set. I was the leading bidding for a week or more, got an email about an outbid by 100, put my daughter to bed, went downstairs to rebid and found it closed for less than I was willing to pay... woops.

The set had a PSA 9 Palmer and Rice as well as Brett 8, Decinces 10, etc. They did grade a number of commons, so I dont know how much was untapped, but clearly the set was sharp and I realllly wanted to see what the low pops looked like. >>

Jim! I thought for sure you won that set haha! I was going to go 1.50 - 2K on it just for the Palmer. That card is worth a great deal to me - exceptionally hard to find full and centered.
    This auction will go down as one of my classic boner moves - there were some cards I really wanted including a 30 card low pop 72 lot that went for probably 65% of what it would cost per single card. MM - I think I agree with your assessment though. I was both extremely disappointed and at the same time relieved that I didn't go full bore image

• << <i>I'm really pumped about this latest sub that just popped:

1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 308 R.B.I. LEADERS J.BURROUGHS/J.BENCH Card
    2 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 442 MAXIMINO LEON Card
    3 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 234 TOM GRIEVE Card
    4 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 39 ANDY THORNTON Card
    5 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 314 BUCK MARTINEZ Card
    6 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 508 BOB HANSEN Card

and this one from last week:

1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 34 STEVE RENKO Card
    2 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 108 TOM HALL Card
    3 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 134 RON HODGES Card
    4 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 467 ED HALICKI Card
    5 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1976 TOPPS 240 PETE ROSE Card
    6 MINT 9 1976 TOPPS 373 JOHNNY BRIGGS Card

I'd been having a bit of a dry spell lately, but these last two subs really lifted my spirits. >>

Indy!!! Let's talk about that Briggs!
    Congratulations indeed
    Henry, I had you mind for it. You definitely get first crack at it. I'll get in touch with you in the next day or so.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy schnikes! Nice pop! Where did you find the Briggs?
    Mike
    Bosox1976

• << <i>Oh My God! Huge grats on the Briggs!!! I have five different orders in with 2300~ cards total and I think I have worn out the refresh button over the last month or two... >>

Hope you have better luck with your sub than MMD. I have been reading through this thread and it looks like he is best friends with the GOD LOL!

This mini set is interesting, it appears there are not that many people interested in it, but the ones that are are very rich. Why is that?