Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Unfortunately, the high bidder looked like he has been "chipped up"...I have seen that on so many of my bids it was laughable - before I smartened up and went snipe image

As the underbidder to you on many a mini, Henry, I will concur with that statement, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    there is no one on earth that i have cursed at as long or as loud over the last seven years as henry...i have probably lost a minimum of 1,000 cards to him over the years.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions

• << <i>there is no one on earth that i have cursed at as long or as loud over the last seven years as henry...i have probably lost a minimum of 1,000 cards to him over the years. >>

Hatred towards me spans the decade Jim image...from 1970 through 1977.

I saved the 1978 and 1979 for last because I figured those years would be easy. In regards to 1979, it is actually a bit tougher than I thought - the cards are soft (although better than 1977) and poorly centered.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!

• << <i>Unfortunately, it's often difficult to ascertain true market value for a particular card in an consignment auction setting for obvious reasons.

That Brett is a really sharp card, but its true value lies between $500 and $1,200, probably closer to $500 than $1,200, imo.. >>

Tim,
    You may have to recalibrate your view on rookie prices. The Bench 9 just sold for 1800.00. I am telling you - having judiciously watched prices for 5 years - high end rookies from this era are DEFINITELY adjusting upwards! I told my wife I am the luckiest man on earth. First, my entire collection gets stolen and I get all my cards back the following year. Second, I have been buying the 1970s right before they are becoming scarce (you of all people know what the unopened supply is now like) and then when I decided to sell a large portion (2 years ago) EBAY crashes on my auctions and I decide to keep all my cards image

<< <i>

<< <i>Unfortunately, it's often difficult to ascertain true market value for a particular card in an consignment auction setting for obvious reasons.

That Brett is a really sharp card, but its true value lies between $500 and $1,200, probably closer to $500 than $1,200, imo.. >>

Tim,
    You may have to recalibrate your view on rookie prices. The Bench 9 just sold for 1800.00. I am telling you - having judiciously watched prices for 5 years - high end rookies from this era are DEFINITELY adjusting upwards! I told my wife I am the luckiest man on earth. First, my entire collection gets stolen and I get all my cards back the following year. Second, I have been buying the 1970s right before they are becoming scarce (you of all people know what the unopened supply is now like) and then when I decided to sell a large portion (2 years ago) EBAY crashes on my auctions and I decide to keep all my cards image >>

I do think Brett is undervalued at $500, but I don't see the card going for over 1K either, on a consistent basis. I could be wrong, but it will take more than one auction by a consignment seller for me to set the bar that high. I'd say real value is around $700, imo. Obviously, higher end examples may creep closer to the 1K mark.

On the rising prices of unopened product--I agree with you 100%, Henry, and there does seem to be some correlation between that and graded card prices, too. It almost doesn't make sense to bust any mini wax boxes unless you know you are getting a box from a good print run, as boxes that could be had for 1K a couple years ago, have moved up in value considerably.

Speaking of gem mint minis, what do you think of this PSA 10 #1 Aaron?

PSA 10 Aaron #1

Looks like it's a bit long (hence the baggy insert) and was graded by 4SC years ago judging by the cert #.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Okay this is the 2nd time this has happened. I had a snipe for 3850.00 on the 1972 Jackson psa10 and my bid did not register. The other time this happened was for a 1970 AS Yaz psa 9. image Anyone else ever have these issues? I guess 2 out of 1000s of snipes isn't bad, but Im interested in hearing if this has happened to others

<< <i>Okay this is the 2nd time this has happened. I had a snipe for 3850.00 on the 1972 Jackson psa10 and my bid did not register. The other time this happened was for a 1970 AS Yaz psa 9. image Anyone else ever have these issues? I guess 2 out of 1000s of snipes isn't bad, but Im interested in hearing if this has happened to others >>

What snipe service do you use, Henry? I've heard this kind of thing happening with some of the free ones out there. I use AuctionSniper and have never had a missed snipe in 12 years, but they charge 1% of the bid price if you win. For a guy who enters atomic bids like you do, though, it's probably cost prohibitive, lol..

• 1%? Holy cow! No way...that would cost me easily 10K a year. I use AuctionRaptor and it is just a few bucks a month with no hassles - other than the two missed bids. What is interesting is how valuable those two were to me, it would have been nice if the two bids were 10 dollar commons I needed image
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    esnipe. Never missed one and very cheap.

<< <i>1%? Holy cow! No way...that would cost me easily 10K a year. I use AuctionRaptor and it is just a few bucks a month with no hassles - other than the two missed bids. What is interesting is how valuable those two were to me, it would have been nice if the two bids were 10 dollar commons I needed image >>

"other than the two missed bids" (so far, you mean.. image )

Actually, I just checked, and there is a cap of $9.95 on a AuctionSniper snipe...I know some people use cheaper services, but I've heard many stories of woe about missed snipes with other services, so I just stick with what I know is 100% reliable. I don't bid too often on ebay these days anyway, and when I do, I try to use the old manual snipe old school style, LOL..

That aaron joins the list of "sure looks sheet cut to me" minis. i also do not love the centering.

for fun, pretend you havent seen the card before, then slowly look at it fom the bottom. there is so much border you would expect it to be oc on top easily.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    I am inclined to concur with Jim's assessment..

To each his own, but I can't hate on that Aaron mini. The colors are bold, the edges and corners are sharp, and the centering is well within PSA 10 guidelines.
  • I just spent over 1200.00 on the 1973 Unser pop3 psa9, I'm useless on any comment regarding value...sheeeesh
  • 79Ozzie9

Ummm...okay my 444.00 bid didn't quite hack it. Tim, what say you? 4 different bidders at 750.00 and above, this card's VCP was under 400.00
    That is huge money on a non star! That's low pop mini money.

That is a nice Ozzie PSA 9. Most of those look so tilted to me when I focus on the flag on bottom. This is one of the better ones. Would trade a soft corner for a squared up image like that any day. Very nice Ozzie.

<< <i>79Ozzie9

Ummm...okay my 444.00 bid didn't quite hack it. Tim, what say you? 4 different bidders at 750.00 and above, this card's VCP was under 400.00 >>

Insane. I paid a shade over $300 for my similarly centered PSA 9 Ozzie a couple years back. This one went for more than double the previous high for this card. I'd say someone with really deep pockets is buying up graded 70s HOF RCs, if these sales are true.

The 79 Topps set is significantly undervalued, though, imo...as tough (or tougher) than the 75 mini in my experience, which is based on opening packs in search of gradable cards.

very, very interesting thought there tim. i wonder if dmitri is picking up his pace. he bailed on 10s, but kept his 9s and has bought hof 9s since his sale.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions

• << <i>very, very interesting thought there tim. i wonder if dmitri is picking up his pace. he bailed on 10s, but kept his 9s and has bought hof 9s since his sale. >>

Agreed, but I believe you two are missing the main point! This was an under 400.00 VCP card. Seven different people bid 425 and above. Four different people bid 700.00 and above. I contend that the 1970s prices are being reset due to slowing supply and pent up demand. I don't contend to know what the actual fair value is - but we know that unopened material has dissipated like spit in a desert and what is left usually offers very little in gradable cards...this is interesting to me because I believe we are looking at the beginnings of a major price shift.

<< <i>

<< <i>very, very interesting thought there tim. i wonder if dmitri is picking up his pace. he bailed on 10s, but kept his 9s and has bought hof 9s since his sale. >>

Agreed, but I believe you two are missing the main point! This was an under 400.00 VCP card. Seven different people bid 425 and above. Four different people bid 700.00 and above. I contend that the 1970s prices are being reset due to slowing supply and pent up demand. I don't contend to know what the actual fair value is - but we know that unopened material has dissipated like spit in a desert and what is left usually offers very little in gradable cards...this is interesting to me because I believe we are looking at the beginnings of a major price shift. >>

I'd caution you to wait for some auction sale results from non-consignment sellers to further support such an extreme upswing. I think prices are rising but at such a rate? Not convinced yet that VCP prices are going to double or triple in next few months.

I would also add that although it is a factor, the correlation between unopened product and the graded card market is not aboslutely linked, as many people that are buying vintage unopened keep it that way, and that there is a lot of raw 70s cards out there waiting to be graded, too. Gaspipe probably has a few thousand of each number himself..

• Good points Tim, but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. image I bought both of those Schmidt rookies and my guess is it will be a 3K card within 3 years. If I'm wrong, it doesn't matter because I am more than willing to pay 2K for that card. There is another phenomenon that I believe portends a price shift in 1970s cards. Most people have assumed that 4SC has an unending supply of these cards - it has certainly seemed that way for many years. However, if you look at their auctions now, they are 30-40% BINs above VCP for most lower pop cards/commons. They used to just start them low and let peeps bid them up. Then they just used VCP which allowed for great bargains for astute buyers. Now they are increasingly using protection BINs. My guess as to why this is occurring is that their finite supply is slowly drying up. Also, they have been much more sporadic in the years that they sell (1970-79). It is true that I now have a self-interest to see prices go up having spent the past 6 years buying, but I call it like I see it.
    It is true that I now have a self-interest to see prices go up having spent the past 6 years buying, but I call it like I see it.

Agreed, Henry, and I would definitely like to see the same, as a person who has partial sets from 1972-1980 myself, all in PSA 8 or better.

My main concern with the graded card industry is that TPGs remain as vigilant as possible in rejecting sheet cut and trimmed cards which have the potential to devalue the legitimate cards pulled from packs, whose true scarcity is the primary reason upon which their value is predicated, especially when it comes to tougher low pops like that 73 Unser.

• MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    That Aaron #1 HL is a stellar example! Perhaps the reason to dog it is an attempt to lesson the interest in it so the competition won't be so stiff? lol.

That Brett PSA 9 was not just a good example, it was one of the nicest looking PSA 9 example I've seen. It had PSA 10 centering and perhaps the minor hint of white on the lower right corner kept it from a 10? Centering front and back was premium! Would have been a nice upgrade to even my wonderful example..... thus why I was bidding on it!

I would agree most PSA 9 examples of a 75 Topps Mini Brett wouldn't warrant a bid higher than $600. This example just looked like a PSA 10. That's why I feel the price went north of what we tend to see it go for. If there were 9.5 PSA graded cards (I hope this never happens), this would have been a 9.5. Considering what a PSA 10 example goes for..... the selling price of this PSA 9 (9.5) would have been considered a bargain image
    That Aaron #1 HL is a stellar example! Perhaps the reason to dog it is an attempt to lesson the interest in it so the competition won't be so stiff? lol

I don't believe that is the reason.

As much as I would love to own the Aaron #1 in a 10, I like my own 9 better than the card offered. I tried to bump it and was told the l/r centering wasn't good enough. They seem to be very selective when a 10 requires precisely 50/50 centering, which the one listed does not have and frankly their guidelines don't call for.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Nice card Jim!
    For me T/B centering on the HL cards is always tricky with that floating diamond at the top left.

don't believe that is the reason.

Lol.... no I don't suppose you do. I was kidding image

Just noticed that the psa 10 aaron is sequential with your 10, which is beautiful MM. Some kind of luck for someone to hit 2 of the 4 10s ever graded back to back on the same sub, in fact it is likely that 3 of the 4 were on the same sub as the third cert is only 570 cards off, which is not that big a sub.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    Yes, I noticed that right off. I'm sure this example sold on eBay or one of the major auctions years ago, probably around the time I bought mine. I believe I paid $1,400 for the example I have. Usually when you hit a good source of Mini's there are often multiple examples that grade well. Not always, but it holds true for many cards in the Mini set that had low pops for many many years and suddenly their pops exploded when quality cases from the Conlan Estate yielded several premium examples. This has already been touched on several times in this thread. Similar cert# stories for several of the Brett and Yount 10's as mentioned recently. I always thought the example I own is the finest example of the 4 #1 Aaron HL PSA 10's 'that exist...... what owner wouldn't say that, lol image

<< <i>Just noticed that the psa 10 aaron is sequential with your 10, which is beautiful MM. Some kind of luck for someone to hit 2 of the 4 10s ever graded back to back on the same sub, in fact it is likely that 3 of the 4 were on the same sub as the third cert is only 570 cards off, which is not that big a sub. >>

Some kind of luck indeed!

Congrats on the win Henry!
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    Moondog strikes again!

• Thanks guys, I am proud that I was able to keep complete silence on that one! I have the same suspicion level on the card as Jim, but couldn't pass on it. I also won the B. Robinson 1971 psa9 and the 1973 Ruth #1 pop1 10! I cant believe that one of the heavy hitters didn't blow me out on that card!

Error: I did actually win the Blyleven rookie 9 as well! One of the best nights I have had collecting.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pickups -- love that Brooks image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I showed this card to someone that posts regularly on this thread(I think it was MiniDuff maybe??) asking for an opinion on this card overall. I am wondering if it would be worth submitting again. I'm not collecting the entire set at this point, but there are many cards from it that I do like very much. Anyone think this could ever be in a PSA 9 without the PD qualifier? Thanks for any additional input! image

• DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Can anyone make sense of this:

Remember the Gem Mint 10 Robin Yount that "sold" on March 25th for $5322? I was about the second or third bidder when I tossed an $1100 bid into the fray. Clearly I knew this was not going to be a winning bid, but it was more or less a reminder to myself that I was prepared to pursue it at a set price.

Obviously, I was left in the dust and enjoyed watching it to the end. I believe there were 23 more bids after mine.

Why then am I receiving a second chance offer to buy this card at $1100 ?? I was not the 2nd highest, 3rd highest, or even in the top ten highest bidders. Something smells here, but I can't figure it out. One thing is for sure, this was a legitimate email from an ebay server, not some hack or phish attempt.

Perhaps this has happened to others? When scanning the list of bidders, there was only one user that was familiar (3**3 feedback 404)...the remainder were new to me.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Dave,

Its a scam. I was a bidder as well and it happened to me as well. I contacted eBay and they confirmed. The original seller reached out to thank me.

Jim
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone think this could ever be in a PSA 9 without the PD qualifier? >>

I think the PD is the snow visible on the black sleeve/helmet.

I suspect the yellow fisheye and the mark to the right of the "s" in orioles are not the culprits. The extra yellow spots in the red area are of concern too. I don't think a 9 is possible with that much snow, particularly with the bonus fisheyes/stray yellow. Sorry -- razor sharp card though.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Dave,

It's a scam. Another bidder made a post about it in the other forum.

Best,

Matt

• << <i>

<< <i>Anyone think this could ever be in a PSA 9 without the PD qualifier? >>

I think the PD is the snow visible on the black sleeve/helmet.

I suspect the yellow fisheye and the mark to the right of the "s" in orioles are not the culprits. The extra yellow spots in the red area are of concern too. I don't think a 9 is possible with that much snow, particularly with the bonus fisheyes/stray yellow. Sorry -- razor sharp card though. >>

Agreed - it is a typical snow issue, sorry. The expert graders here have mentioned that PSA is very tough on snow when grading these minis
    Just to expand on the Yount scam, it is pretty scary. The second chance offer looked real, with a couple of red flags, such as the fact that it was from xxxxx@ebay.info. It also had no mechanism to buy the card, rather an email address to contact. Being that ebay will suspend your account fro sending your email in a second chance, that is problem on several fronts. The message also does not show in your ebay mailbox, another giveaway.

Now, here is what is scary as hell:

The email had my actual bid, my full name, first and last. My ebay ID. My email address associated with ebay, which is insane as I had just changed it a few weeks earlier and they had the new address. I really, really want to know how someone came to have all of that information.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    Well, that Brett/Yount sheet at Huggins is now at 1,100 with over a day to go. Have to think the plan is not to hang it on the wall at that number...
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    That's where you gotta trust PSA to do what they say they do. If cut let them wind up in other slabs.
    1800 plus juice (2100+) with hours to go. Someone must have supreme confidence they can cut it accurately and get the cards slabbed somewhere...
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    We should capture a hi-rez image of the sheet and see if we can spot any defining characteristics on the cards, i.e, a print dot, etc., that way if they show up graded we can tell it came from that sheet.
    That sheet is as good as a sheet of uncut currency with the right equipment..

Except per description the Yount and Aaron HL are creased.
    there are a dozen other cards on the sheet that would sell for more in a 9 than aaron and yount...sick content.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • I won that sheet, and you all can be assured that they will never be cut into cards while I live image In fact, in my will I will state that the sheet is to be burned upon my death. (seriously)
    Frame that bad boy it's great for an office or son's room. At a grand I was gonna do just that, but it sailed past me.