Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Hockey Card Thread...show your recent pick-ups.

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple additions to my HOF RC set:

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    That Keon is a great looking 6
  • Options
  • Options
    stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    I've been 2nd high bidder in PWCC auctions so many times I've lost count. Finally one of my bids won. I've always wanted this card given I learned to skate at Cyclone Taylor Arena in Vancouver as a kid. This is my first prewar hockey card and I think I may be addicted.

• Options

<< <i>I've been 2nd high bidder in PWCC auctions so many times I've lost count. Finally one of my bids won. I've always wanted this card given I learned to skate at Cyclone Taylor Arena in Vancouver as a kid. This is my first prewar hockey card and I think I may be addicted.

image >>

Beauty Cyclone! Very nice looking card.
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with prewar hockey, but that is one cool card
  • Options
    This thread needs a bump.

One of the best grinders ever, HOF and the most famous SLASH in hockey history:

• Options
    Very nice Clarke. I've been in the market for one of those and they are TOUGH to find centered. Congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks, it's a funny card. There are lots of them out there but most clean ones are over priced, I've been looking for one forever but didn't want to pay 400 bucks for an O/C 8.
  • Options
    Can't wait to get this in in hand. Probably over paid but couldn't believe the centering and this card is non-existent in high grade.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    That Bucyk 7 is killer!!!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Great Bucyk. Insanely tough card. Your's looks amazing! Super centering.

If you'd believe it, I originally bought this one in a PSA 5 holder! Definitely a lot of gems in midgrades.

• Options
    Great card Casey, presents beautifully.

Agree about mid grade, I love this Ullman:

• Options
    Another sweet card there. Ullman is notoriously off-center, with many that I've seen being miscut. That's one of the nicest centered I've seen; better than most 8s.
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't wait to get this in in hand. Probably over paid but couldn't believe the centering and this card is non-existent in high grade.

image >>

That explains why this is no longer in my eBay "Watch List"

As it has been said, a VERY tough card. This one does have great centering and registration.

Congrats, excellent pickup!
  • Options
    Thanks! Will be interesting to see where the issues with the card are when in hand.
  • Options
    A couple raw Gretzky pickups. Want to get the 79 signed, anyone know if a signing coming up??

• Options

<< <i>Want to get the 79 signed, anyone know if a signing coming up?? >>

Nothing scheduled or rumored at this time.
  • Options

<< <i>

Nothing scheduled or rumored at this time. >>

Thanks Casey, if you here of one and remember this thread please keep me in mind.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nothing scheduled or rumored at this time. >>

Thanks Casey, if you here of one and remember this thread please keep me in mind. >>

Definitely will. If a signing happens, there's a good chance you'll hear about it. There's a ton of pent up demand since he's been with UD. It'll be a big deal -- at least as far as hockey signings go...
  • Options
    This thread needs a big M bump:

• Options
    Flower Power:

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice cards there, 80sOPC. The Lafleur looks better than the grade.

My latest pick-up- is the centering in the PSA 8 tolerance level? We will see...

• Options
    Love that Gretz, those edges are awesome. Don't know if it will make 8. The borders look huge with the rough cut so while it's pretty of L/R, the R border still doesn't look super thin. I would guess a 7 or 7.5 but who knows.
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    I had this 1981-82 Soo Rick Tocchet first-card on my ebay search forever never garnering any hits. One finally popped up this morning. Rough shape but for $5, at least I can cross it off my checklist. They are razor thin cards and really hard to find. It's the one on the left. The one on the right is from 1987. If anyone is a Tocchet fan and wants the 1987, PM me with your address and I'll gladly send it to you as I focus on first-cards.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Nice Lemieux!
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had this 1981-82 Soo Rick Tocchet first-card on my ebay search forever never garnering any hits. One finally popped up this morning. Rough shape but for $5, at least I can cross it off my checklist. They are razor thin cards and really hard to find. It's the one on the left. The one on the right is from 1987. If anyone is a Tocchet fan and wants the 1987, PM me with your address and I'll gladly send it to you as I focus on first-cards.

image >>

Awesome display of generosity, thanks so much for the Tocchet and other oddball hockey items! Glad to see there are others who are into these types of hockey cards instead of just the main-stream issue ones, too.

• Options
    Here is one that just arrived. The same seller actually had 2 Hull's in PSA 3. The one I missed - I made an offer, he countered and it sold before I could accept - had near perfect centering. I'm kicking myself for missing it and hoping one of you guys scored it. Here is my consolation prize - still have pretty awesome centering for this card and fits my collection perfectly:

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Hull rookie!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    got this from a fellow board member. my grandfather always spoke very highly of this guy as a player and a person:

• Options

<< <i>got this from a fellow board member. my grandfather always spoke very highly of this guy as a player and a person:

image >>

Nice Mikita. He's not doing so well these days unfortunately.
  • Options
    yes, dementia i think ive read? supposedly doesn't remember his playing days....
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Coincidentally I have a team photo of Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita with their junior team, the St.Catherine's (Ontario) Tee Pees, 1956-57.
  • Options

Does anyone here happen to have a copy of "The Boys On The Bus", the Edmonton Oilers documentary from 1987?

• Options
    I don't have that documentary, but I will say that Peter Gzowski's "The game of our lives" is a must read for anyone who loves the Oilers dynasty teams of the 80's.

Great pickups, everyone. I love that this thread still has legs.

-Nathanael
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one hockey card. This was given to me raw by Trent, aka nightcrawler, some years back. It comes with a story.

Alfred Harris, the guy that signed the back, apparently was a fan that hoarded this card and signed them all lol. Trent looked for years until he finally found one that Alfred didn't get his fingers and pen on haha.

imageimage
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    Funny stuff Matt. Cool card none the less...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Sharing a few cards from my recent sub...

• Options
    just got her from casey and back from psa:

• Options
    nice, highest graded!
  • Options
    thank you! (twice) image
  • Options
    few more for the gretzky opc basic set:

• Options
    Bob, I didn't know you were working on a gretzky basic set. Cool project. Are any other CU members working on it?
  • Options

From Russia with Love - I just picked up a whole pod of White Whales. It includes an entire run of the complete sets of the Russian Postcards issued during the 1970's-80's. Packed with lots of stars; besides a bunch of different Tretjaks and Charlamovs, I'll also have in there the first issue cards of Makarov, Fetisov, 1987 Larionov & Konstantinov, even the 1989 Fedorov.

Hopefully everything makes it through the shipping process. I've never purchased from this seller in Russia before, though I've picked up plenty of items there in the past from other sellers.

• Options
    thank dan!

not sure if there are any other members working on it or not. been doing it for a year or so now...

other than the 79 been patiently waiting for 10's to pop up

which they rarely seem to and sometimes when they do, they don't really look like 10s imo
  • Options
    Great find Greg on the Russian Post-Cards! Hopefully, they make it to you safe and sound. Would love to see them if you wouldn't mind posting pics once they arrive.
  • Options

Thanks. I was very surprised to find even a couple of them, let alone all of them. They are definitely items that are eligible for PSA grading, so the stars are destined for slabbing. I had been lucky enough to find a couple of the Tretjak ones before, but even though some of them are almost 20 years newer than those, I never thought I'd locate the 80's ones. I had never seen any scans or photos of them, only knew what was published in the Beckett hockey annual.

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    I picked up some nice hockey in my Canada trip.
    Just got off the plane. Will share in a couple hours
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Just got back from my Canada trip and picked up some Hockey this time around. I usually don't look for it but couldn't pass this stuff up.
    This is a small sample of what I picked up. In the box (3200 ct.) 2 rows were filled with Gretzky's (No RC's) and the other 2 rows were 50's and 60's Hockey in GREAT condition.

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook