Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Hockey Card Thread...show your recent pick-ups.

Comments

• DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>

Nice Sawchuck, I think you got a generous grader on that one. I have the Horton from the same set:
    >>

Thanks. I agree...the "stain" in the top right, coloring, and general wear had me thinking it was a 4, maybe 5. Either way, happy to have it. It's about time I had a grader throw me a bone.
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly right, god knows we get crushed on enough subs that it's nice to get a gimme here and there.
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Some modern OPC hockey I subbed myself

• The 2011 OPC set would be a great set to get autographed if there weren't som many cards...
  • rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    Nothing major, but picked up another card for my Plymouth Whalers collection:
    Couple more I received this week:
    New raw pick ups for my Plymouth Whalers collection:

2013-14 ITG Between the Pipes Alex Nedeljkovic GoalieGraph
    2012-13 Post Cereal OHL Matt Mahalak Hand Cut
    1998-99 Bowman CHL David Legwand Certified Autograph
    1998-99 Bowman CHL David Legwand Refractor

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, didn't know you included the Detroit (& Compuware) Ambassadors in the collection. I guess that means you also include the Detroit Jr. Wings as well? There are quite a few more Pat Peake cards from Amabassador & Jr. Wings if you do.

The Whalers used to have the players on their season tickets (not sure if they still do that but they did back about 12 to 15 years ago when I had them). They presented a bit like cards, so you might have interest in picking some of those up. The Weiss RC year one would be a fun addition.

Yes, I include the Ambassador and the Jr Wings too. It's all the same franchise owned by Karmanos, just went through the name changes. The criteria for the collection is cards of players depicted in uniforms of the Ambassadors, Jr Red Wings, Whalers, CHL/OHL All Star, CHL Top Prospects, and World Junior Championship. Basically any style uniform they wore during their junior career here. I have most of the team sets except for a couple recent ones.

Started going to the Whalers games in 2000 when I moved to the area, and have been hooked since. I also have a large collection of game worn Whalers jerseys. I had over 70, but I recently decided to refocus my collection to just players that played in the NHL or those with Captain or Assistant Captains patches, or those with Memorial Cup or Anniversary patches.

Might have seen you at some games many years ago then. Probably fairly likely considering it isn't exactly the most highly attended event down there image

Starting to dabble in modern. Subban already has a Norris and is getting better and I think Zetterberg has a good shot at HOF.

Wow...that's a young looking Zetterberg! He'll seal his HOF candidacy as captaining the Red Wings to the 2015 cup. No brainer.
    Finally picked up my mail after the holiday weekend. Had these waiting for me. Although I asked for no qualifiers on the submission sheet, I'm pleased with the grades. I spoke to PSA about sending them back and they offered to regrade them....but I think the Gretzky would come back a PSA 6 and the Roy a PSA 7. What do you guys think? I think I'd rather have the Gretzky 8(OC) and Roy 9(OC).

3 of these were purchased raw on ebay after I carefully selected the cards. And the Gretzky was purchased from a dealer, using amazon.com.

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I'd say the Gretzky would definitely be a 6 and while the Roy could possibly be an 8 pushed to the limit, it would most likely be a 7 since it is a modern card. I would definitely keep them as is. I never really understood wanting the cards without the qualifier. For example,your Gretzky is going to be way off centered simply looking at it whether it has 8 o/c , 6 or 5 or whatever. The card will always be off centered. Why not keep the higher number attached to stress all the attributes that actually fit into that category. That is what PSA allows.

Hi guys,

I'm not what I would consider an expert on 1951 Parkhurst, but I do own several and have sent some in for grading so I do have a decent idea of what to look for in this set. I have a Barilko / Winning Goal card that has come back EOT from 2 submission attempts. By my inspection, I don't see any EOT but I would consider it just cut unevenly like others in that set. To me, it looks at least as good as the one in the image below, that I just pulled from someone's sold ebay auction. The bottom edge on the PSA 5 is clearly unevenly cut, and if this one passed grading, I feel mine should too. I apologize that I don't have a scan of my raw card to compare with the graded one at the moment, but suffice to say for conversation's sake, the bottom edge cut on mine looks like the one in this graded example. What I'm really asking here is not if my card should qualify for grading without EOT, but instead, how common is it for cards with factory uneven bottom edge cuts to be graded for 1951 Parkhurst?

• ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a 1977-78 wax box this week to add to the 1976-77 I picked up last summer:

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
    Here are a couple of new pick ups for my Plymouth Whalers collection. That Tom Wilson Post Cereal was hard to find. Was a redemption set issued through Post Cereal in Canada only. Haven't seen any singles for sale on ebay, so I had to buy the whole set.

• Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

Bump for my 1951 Parkies question above.

• I see a lot of graded 51s with uneven edges. They are tough to determine for EOT because they have irregular sizes and cuts from the factory. I'd probably sub it again. Or, consult someone else knowledgeable about the set to see if they think they edge has been trimmed.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I do plan to re-sub it, at least a couple more tries, since I'm convinced the cut was from factory and I see other similar cuts graded. Not sure how common the bad cut is.

Picked up the Ted Lindsay for a reasonable price on ebay to pair with his goalie. Now...just gotta find that #9 fella on the cheap.
    imageimage

While you're at it, may as well complete Production v.2 and add a #10 in there as well!

<< <i>While you're at it, may as well complete Production v.2 and add a #10 in there as well! >>

Good point. Just followed an ebay search for any auctions. Thanks for the idea.

Bit of a modern yahtzee:

1 GEM MINT 10 2000 Upper Deck Swedish 60 Henrik Lundqvist Card

Getting 10's from the 2000 Swedish Upper Deck set is tougher than you'd expect. Lots of pretty corners out there to be found but the graders are sticklers on the centering for this set so getting above a 9 is a feat.

Back to the top.

This one is for my HOF Rookies collection, bought raw for 20 bucks. Lots of these are miscut and overall not much inventory out there, would like a higher grade but they get pretty expensive so this one's perfect for my collection.

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Very nice card. There must be a surface wrinkle. I think the corners and centering are pretty good. What was your expectation when you sent it in?

<< <i>Very nice card. There must be a surface wrinkle. I think the corners and centering are pretty good. What was your expectation when you sent it in? >>

There is a small bubble 3/4 up on the front right. It is pretty minor but it's there and I saw it before submitting. I'm happy with the grade and think they got it right, was just happy to get it in a slab as this card can get expensive in mid grade.

I could probably sell it for quite a bit more in a KSA 7 slab, look at this miscut one that sold, I think the buyer is in for a surprise if he subs it to PSA:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1969-70-OPC-HOCKEY-4-SERGE-SAVARD-RC-KSA-8-NMMT-CANADIENS-HOFer-/321432061077?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item4ad6d80495&_uhb=1

This one came back in the same sub, same idea low grade centered. Was a BGS 5 crackout and was hoping for a straight 5 but don't really care as it goes right into the collection:

<< <i>

<< <i>Very nice card. There must be a surface wrinkle. I think the corners and centering are pretty good. What was your expectation when you sent it in? >>

There is a small bubble 3/4 up on the front right. It is pretty minor but it's there and I saw it before submitting. I'm happy with the grade and think they got it right, was just happy to get it in a slab as this card can get expensive in mid grade.

I could probably sell it for quite a bit more in a KSA 7 slab, look at this miscut one that sold, I think the buyer is in for a surprise if he subs it to PSA:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1969-70-OPC-HOCKEY-4-SERGE-SAVARD-RC-KSA-8-NMMT-CANADIENS-HOFer-/321432061077?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item4ad6d80495&_uhb=1 >>

Nice card, definitely an example of one that presents a lot nicer than the grade or holder from what is visible in the scan. I can appreciate how tough the centering is for it.

Interesting to see the recent sale on ebay of a PSA 5 that went for $50 at best offer w/ t/b OC, compared to a PSA 6 being presently listed with approx $373 obo. Obviously won't sell near that price but the 6 has t/b OC just like the 5 that sold. The PSA 6 could possibly be comparable with the KSA 8 you posted a link to that sold for the $250 offer, but the 6 still looks like the better card of those 2 from a distance.
    That 5 was a real good buy, I didn't have that in my search or would have snatched it.
    Nice pick-ups. This has gotta be my fav thread. I have some raw cards I'm looking forward to submitting soon and sharing.
    Picked up some new cards for my Plymouth Whalers collection:

Thought I'd resurrect this thread by posting a huge pop I got back recently on some really rare finds. For those not familiar with European hockey cards, besides the two I have here, even if by some miracle you find these cards, they are all but guaranteed to either have album residue, paper loss, or are just still stuck in an album. Enjoy:

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread can't die! Sweet Lindbergh. I haven't seen that sticker before.

• MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 498 ✭✭✭
    Great tough Lindbergh!

On a side note, had fun this weekend and met up with an old college buddy to watch his pre-teen kids play hockey in North Jersey. They play for the NJ Bandits and also on some travelling teams so my poor buddy puts about 35k/yr on his car driving from Rockland County, NY to as far as Michigan every weekend for his kids sake. Coincidentally Ulf Samuelsson's young kid played for the opposing team for this game. Just like his dad, the kid was a monster, twice the size of all the other kids, in height and brawn.

Keep 'em coming miwlvrn!
    This is mine for a short time, but I'm certainly proud of it, considering it is the first to grade a 10.

• << <i>This is mine for a short time, but I'm certainly proud of it, considering it is the first to grade a 10.

image >>

Cool Gretzky!
  • clarke442clarke442 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of my recent pick-ups.

Tempted to submit the Sanderson to PSA. Any thoughts?

Wow, congrats on the '74 OPC Bruins team/checklist! That is one impressive grade, much tougher than I assume most on this board would imagine.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is mine for a short time, but I'm certainly proud of it, considering it is the first to grade a 10.

image >>

Cool Gretzky! >>

Wow! Awesome card!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Couple of new ones for my Plymouth Whalers collection:
    The Sanderson looks like a 7. I would watch out for a few things before cracking it. One- make sure it isn't undersized. MINSIZREQ is a reality for lots of 68 OPC. Also, look for the roller lines that appear on lots of 68 OPC. Also, chipping on the back brings the grade down too. Regardless, yours looks nice.

-Nathanael

<< <i>And since we're sharing, this is one of the favs in my collection. Incredibly hard to find above a 7:

image >>

I finally read all the older posts in this thread and looked at some nice cards.
    This statement could not be more true, and as a Bucyk collector for about 20 years, I believe this is the first PSA 8 that I have ever seen.
    It is comforting to know there are ones with great centering and sharp corners.

<< <i>For Orr, there is not a card of his that competes with his 1968 OPC in my opinion. The impossibility of finding it centered makes it even more alluring:

image >>

I agree, BUT, MY favorite is the 74 All-Star. The 74's old classic stick and puck design and a sweet picture with Cheevers and his mask in the background, also the card's design and colors with the Bruins uniform colors just do it for me.

Whew...I think I need a cigarette (Purely LOL...I don't smoke)

<< <i>And I really paid through the nose for this Bucyk but my 500 goal set and 1000 point set were missing this...

image >>

I could only imagine, when I see some "not-so-nice" looking PSA 7's going around $500.00.
    Nice card, I am very jealous.
    A few new pick-ups...

I told Mess I wouldn't do this...

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Cannot wait for this one to come. I am 5 cards short of completing the 66 Topps set in all PSA 8's and 9's

Holy cow. That's a big time card!