Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Hockey Card Thread...show your recent pick-ups.

Comments

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got this one back from PSA. It's actually the Tembec version. I'm happy with the grade, disappointed that PSA didn't make the Tembec distinction on the label. Anyone else ever attempt to grade one of the 89/90 OPC Tembecs with PSA?
    >>

This is the first time i'm hearing about this variation for the '89 OPC Hockey, I had 2 mint Sakic Rc's comes back from PSA in 2010 "Evid Trim".
    I will try to post a photo later of the backs, hoping you can tell me if it is a Tembec variant?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Picked up a 1961-1962 Season home opener ticket from Chicago stadium.
    Home openers traditionally mean raising of the Stanley Cup championship banner that was won earlier in 1961 by the Blackhawks.
    Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull era.
    [URL=http://s245.photobucket.com/user/akuracy503/media/1961NHL_zps2668ab9e.jpg.html]image[/URL]

1952 Chicago Blackhawks vs Boston Bruins, Boston Garden:

[URL=http://s245.photobucket.com/user/akuracy503/media/1952NHL_zps9b76c3e1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Standforddude, could you show a side by side of the back of your Sakic "tembec" with a regular 1989 back? It will help people understand the difference. The tembec versions weren't released in packs, if I recall correctly. I've seen a few sets here and there but it is true they are quite difficult to locate. Since the variation is just the stock that the card was printed on, I don't think there has been a huge amount of interest in the cards although they can bring significantly more at auction.

Minorleaguer- it would be great to see that Probert when you get it back. Good work on the Gretzky long hair variation. That is a tough card!

-Nathanael
  • This pic isn't mine, but it shows the difference between the regular issue and Tembec test quite nicely. Tembec on the left:

I've been on the sidelines for a little while, but I've been busy in the last few weeks. First, I completed My 1969 OPC 4 in 1 set in PSA 8, which was a huge accomplishment considering I've been working on it for four years. Perhaps I wasn't as diligent as I could have been, but it is still a tough and under appreciated set.

I also pick up upgrades to my basic collector sets when I can:

• 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Natan on completing the 4 in 1 set and on the sweet Beliveau.
  • MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 498 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous Beliveau! Thanks for sharing!
    Here are some from my recent pop. Hope you enjoy:

minorleaguer- those cards are awesome! I hadn't seen the Probert or Wendel. Amazing grades for some tough, tough issues. I can see why Gretzky didn't like that long hair red rooster card. Can't pick up b-list Hollywood celebs with a mug shot like that one.

Thanks for sharing.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic... How tough are those 90 Foodlands?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

<< <i>Fantastic... How tough are those 90 Foodlands? >>

Not that tough to find, yet. They are larger and thin so finding the card without slight corner wear can be a chore. Lack of borders make it easier to score a high grade as centering is all but out of the grading equation. I found a dealer from Pittsburgh at the K.O.P./Valley Forge show that had about 6 sets. You can typically find a set for sale on ebay every other month or so on average in the $15 range for the set.
    Great cards of the players in their Junior team uniforms!
    I believe that Darren Pang is when the 67's won the Memorial Cup?

Darren Pang must have had the most incredible reflexes considering he is barely taller than the crossbar with his skates on.

<< <i>Great cards of the players in their Junior team uniforms!
    I believe that Darren Pang is when the 67's won the Memorial Cup? >>

You have a great memory (and tix too!). As it turns out they won in 1984 with Adam Creighton as the MVP.
    I was slowly building my Gretzky registry set in 10's until this purchase...

• This is my favorite thread by far! Also the cause of much jealousy image those "first" cards are amazing!!!!!
    Nathaniel, Awesome Gretzkys! Keep 'em coming!!
    Great pick ups Natan, Love the rough cuts on the 1980 Gretz.
    After 10 years of searching, I finally found a 1980 Sault Ste Marie (Soo) Greyhounds set. This was a locally issued police set. Bonus is it's in nice shape. First cards of Vanbiesbrouck and Ron Francis. Will be subbing those 2 to PSA sometime in 2014. Beezer appears 9OC or 7 and I can see the Ron Francis in an 8 holder. Here's a pic:

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pickups, congrats & good luck w/ the grades.

• Great Thread. Thought I would share one of my new additions from a recent sub I sent in.

• ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Not recent pick-ups, but a few stubs to share...

1. November '79 exhibition game, 1980 US Olympic vs. Salt Lake City Golden Eagles at the Met Center in Bloomington, MN. Team USA won 6-4

2. Final game of 1987 Canada Cup series...Gretzky-to-Lemieux...

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had some hard luck grading Sportscaster cards in the past, getting some several grades below what I thought, tougher for me to judge than more standard cards. Here are a few that worked out well in my latest pop. All are pop 1 none higher or lower:

MINT 9 1977 SPORTSCASTER-FINNISH 07-168 GORDIE HOWE Card
    MINT 9 1977 SPORTSCASTER-FINNISH 08-181 BOBBY HULL Card
    GEM MINT 10 1979 SPORTSCASTER-FINNISH 1861 VLADISLAV TRETJAK Card

This looks like an awesome first card that must be tough to find, if it's legit as Beckett doesn't have it listed: 2001-02 Crosby
    I have no clue if the sig is real on the back, but I can say that is a 1980 Michel Goulet Nordiques postcard on the left if you have never seen one: 1980 Goulet Postcard
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Anyone else notice that the 1989 OPC Gretzky #156 PSA 10 recently spiked to POP 66? I think but am not sure that it was under 20 a few months ago. I have not seen a price correction on the card since this happened as whoever has them all has not introduced many of them if any into circulation.
    With this pick-up, I only need two more cards to go to have a 55 Parkie set in PSA 7 or better. I am beginning to lose hope on finding a Maple Leaf Gardens #79 and a Richard Tests Lumley #73. It's been six years of searching now...

This Armstrong is a light back variety. I wonder if in the future PSA will differentiate in the same way they do for 1956 Topps baseball.

-Nathanael

Anyone on here pop the Gretzky Red Rooster Long hair PSA 10 that recently popped? Currently 1/1. Congrats to the submitter!
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Natan,

Just popped back in to have a look at the world of hockey cards and I have to say I'm glad I did!

Great Gretzky's

Hope all is well

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Love this card. Self-sub pop 1.
    My Kings are not looking good right now against Sharkies, so I hope the Ducks go deep.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards fellas.

Love the 01 sid.

One of my recent pickups was a 55 Durnan will post soon
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    Here is my recent pick up. Now I want one of his Parkhurst.

• stengystengy Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Hi All, I just recently dug all my cards(bball, fball and hockey) out of the spare bedroom closet and am in the midst of selling it off a little at a time. I will post stuff on the Buy Sell page, but I thought I would leave a message here as well. My hockey stuff is Upper Deck('91, '95-2001), BAP('98-2000) and some some other late 90's stuff I have yet to identify. If you're interested in any of this or may be looking for something in particular, let me know.

[URL=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/stengy01/media/CARDS056_zps5b71a66b.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/stengy01/media/CARDS057_zps6ccbb984.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/stengy01/media/CARDS054_zps362e95e4.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/stengy01/media/CARDS055_zpsee4dc61c.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Yay for an Artistlost sighting!!!

Boo for posting B/S/T stuff on this thread.
  • goyegoye Posts: 454 ✭✭
    image going up
    1985-86 O Pee Chee PSA 910 Hockey
    Wow, those sheets must have just been through the wash because they look CLEAN!

(Joke)
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't too recent but I haven't been on the forum since I got it, had uhhhh login issues.

Beautiful Gretz, very nicely centered.
  • Beautiful Gretz, very nicely centered

+1
  • stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Gretz!

Mine has the exact same print dot on the right shoulder. All Gretzkys have the dot on Wayne's left shoulder, but it seems like some from the early print run (ie. blue lines on back and cleaner edges) have the dot on the other shoulder, too.
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Gimme dat Gretzky image
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I NEED to see better photos of those uncut sheets!
    I'm with Vito and would love to see more shots of those sheets.

Here is another one for my HOF Rookie collection to keep the thread on the first page. Always liked this card:

image going up
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Those Gretzky and Giacomin rookies are top notch!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Hey Goye - I'll take card #4 please, cut it nice and wide I will get it down to size!
    It's not my style........but it's different........more then likely a vintage 1of1 creation, but I really don't know the whole story, possible connection with a tire company promotion, 8 BY 10 on display board, generic proof sticker creation blah blah. If anyone knows........

• DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Happy to add this guy to the collection. Bought raw on ebay and pleased with the grade.

<< <i>Happy to add this guy to the collection. Bought raw on ebay and pleased with the grade.

image >>

Nice Sawchuck, I think you got a generous grader on that one. I have the Horton from the same set: