Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Hockey Card Thread...show your recent pick-ups.

Comments

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lefthander

Anyone acquire any interesting hockey cards lately?

I bought 54topps' 68 set (#11 on the registry) last week; received it yesterday but haven't opened the box yet!

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    No new pick ups for me but I think posting this set from the registry (not mine) would hopefully get more newer collectors interested in it who have never seen it. The Sweet Caporal postcard set is one of the rarest and most expensive sets in all of hockey card collecting. This set has a PSA 8 Vezina that is well over six figures alone. Scan through the pics and you will see some of the greatest pics from all hockey sets. Most say the 54 Topps is the most attractive set ever, but I STRONGLY disagree. This set has every card the highest graded. Enjoy

Sweet Caporal Postcards
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tomi
    Most say the 54 Topps is the most attractive set ever, but I STRONGLY disagree.

Sweet Caporal Postcards

Regarding only aesthetics, while this is an attractive set, I cannot go this far. Now, if they had some of Topps current day graphic artists, perhaps. Unfortunately, they did not. Aside from the Ottawa and several of the Renfrow and Wanderers that were able to use a complete photograph, the cut and pasting of the remaining players is quite distracting. The Canadiens, in particular, border on freakish. The use of the photos in the artistic C55's and C56's does them better justice as the shading, proportions (head to body) and logos come across much better.

Again, attractive set and probably the most significant set. However, cards like Dallaire and Poulin give me nightmares.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of Cups!

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Just catching up on this thread and caught the PSA 8 Orr Test RC.

OH...MY...GOODNESS

Amazing pickup. Congrats!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has been too quiet lately. How about a rousing game of list the current players who nearing retirement (within the next 1 to 2 seasons) who will be inducted into the HOF? Curious if anyone thinks there are more guys than those here:

Jagr

Iginla

Datsyuk

Thornton

Doan (might take a bit longer to get voted in than the other 4 above though)

Any chance of Elias or Hossa?

I'd say Zetterberg does not count as being as near retirement as the others on this list. He will play at least 2 more years if not 3 or 4. He is obviously a lock though.

• Options

Okay, I suppose it is not entirely on-topic for the thread, though the list of names may inspire some hockey pick-ups

• Options

Hey, it's a new hockey season! Ain't anyone buying hockey cards? The hottest vintage cards remain Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull and Bobby Orr.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a 67 Beliveau psa 8 last month. have not yet tried to post a pic here.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭

my hockey pick up this past week

• Options

HHOF this coming Monday. I'm thinking Selanne, Alfredsson, Andreychuk, Recchi for this year's class. Joseph, Ozzie & Mogilny eventually work their way in but not this year. Still not convinced Kariya and Fleury ever get in but not impossible to imagine.

• Options

Well, looks like I got 3 out of 4.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Surprised Kariya got in.

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    VoteDizzyVoteDizzy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2018 9:56AM

@EagleEyeKid said:
    Love this card. Self-sub pop 1.

And now I love this card (UD BD Gold). Still a pop 1 four plus years later.

Basketball - Howard - Walker
    Wrestling - Danielson - Storm - Tajiri
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2018 10:51AM

WOW !
    "Old Time Hockey" thread

Staying with one of my earlier posts

Another Cup

Forgot to say...
    Nice run of Marleau"s

• Options

Just delivered from our host.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

This is a thread I can get down with. Here are the last two I've added to my Roy collection (one posted in the pickups thread earlier):

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018 9:34PM

Here's hoping we can put together some semblance of a respectable season this year!

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

Picked up a couple cards of my favorite goon.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

last couple I've brought in:

• Options

Very happy to add this pop 1 Roy to my collection. Can't wait for this to come in the mail this week.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Some nice Roy cards
    Love the sticker also....nice carrier background !!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@hyperchipper09 said:
    last couple I've brought in:

Nice to see Kharlamov enjoying his new home with your collection, thanks again! ;)

• Options

Used the eBay 15%, coupled with a somewhat low best offer that was accepted, to pick up another tough Roy for my collection.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:
    Used the eBay 15%, coupled with a somewhat low best offer that was accepted, to pick up another tough Roy for my collection.

Love it! Is that a class 3 red label? What are those #d to?

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    edited June 29, 2018 11:09PM

@Huskies11 said:

@rmh111985 said:

Love it! Is that a class 3 red label? What are those #d to?

It is, this one is numbered /25. Unfortunately not the elusive 1/1.

• Options
    rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2018 3:46PM

• Options
    rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

• Options

Added these beauties, and several others, to my Messier master set.

• Options

Nice stuff, but FYI, your Marabou Messier is a mech error. There is no such thing as 1991 Swedish Semic - Marabou Back. 1991 Swedish Semic is Milky Way Back. 1991 Finnish Semic is Marabou Back. 1991 Czech Semic is blank back. PSA will correct your label for you for free, plus free shipping both directions. They used to get this wrong a lot more frequently back during the time that that flip was printed. They still occasionally get it wrong nowadays, but nowhere near as often now that the pop reports are picking up volume for each set.

• Options

I knew something was weird with the country variations, but I could never quite figure it out. Thanks for the input!

• Options

Yup, it is a common misconception among these cards that happens because of the mislabeling. However, (though I'm not sure if they still do since I have not seen one in several years) the big/thick Beckett Annual Hockey guide at least used to include those specific details of the sets, so I'm not sure why the PSA research dept. got it wrong in their specs since the correct info was published in the reference material they use.

Either way, glad to see another hockey collector who appreciates the Euro-issue stuff!

• Options

Hey, it's been five months without anyone posting to this great thread. Surely some of you have been acquiring great vintage hockey cards during this time!

Also, after going nearly the entire year of 2018 without a PSA 8 Bobby Orr rookie being sold (at least publically), two have been auctioned during the last few weeks: one in a Heritage auction for $33,600 and the other in a PWCC Ebay auction for $35,109 just four days ago. As I have often said, this card has become to hockey what 1952 Topps Mantles are to baseball... not in dollar value of course but as the iconic card in its sport. Their population in PSA 8 and higher (without qualifiers) is similar: 49 Mantles and 47 Orrs (non-Test Set version). Incredibly, only one Orr rookie has been graded PSA 8_ in the past five years_!

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually just post mine to the monthly pickup threads as do a fair amount of others.

I'd agree with the Orr comparison.

Kevin

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

I picked up a few '85 OPC PSA 9s for the set I've been plugging away at for a number of years. Couldn't resist the prices in 4sharpcorners's recent sale.

I also picked up the '86 OPC PSA 9s of Bourque and Hawerchuk. I don't collect this set in "9" (it'd be nearly impossible given some of the pop reports) but it's right up there with the '85 as my favorite sets of the '80s and I've purchased a number of star cards over the years. The Bourque, despite its relative high pop (at least relative to the set), is not a common find. The Hawerchuk is just a really nice looking and colorful card of one of the best players of his era.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 7:25PM

I picked up this Bobby Clarke the other night to add to my OPC run in high grade and centered -- the latter being more important that the former. This particular example has a slight tilt, but it'll do until a perfectly centered one comes along. The run is almost complete.

Andy

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    I picked up this Bobby Clarke the other night to add to my OPC run in high grade and centered -- the latter being more important that the former. This particular example has a slight tilt, but it'll do until a perfectly centered one comes along. The run is almost complete.

Nice piece of cardboard! Ugly guy though. 😧....😉

Kevin

• Options

Picked this up last night.

• Options

It's no secret here on this board that I enjoy digging up oddball & foreign items as opposed to the more mainstream issue cards. Thought I'd bump the hockey thread with a relatively rare one that is recently back from Newport Beach and the red flip group sub:

• Options
    edited November 21, 2019 6:41AM

And now a photo reuse comparison. These Parkhurst ones are not my cards, just images from google, but here are two more instances of the same picture used in the team issue card above:

• Options

Hoping to resurrect this thread with this Roy collection. 12 down in the set, 4 to go:

• Options
    tomg1977tomg1977 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Some new additions to the PC.

• Options

Last one for the team Set

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nifty!

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Nifty!

Agreed. Loved watching that guy play. A little guy who could undress Robinson and Dryden on a 1 on 2.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2021 2:42PM

From Vezina collection box.

• Options

• Options

• Options

Very rare Lemieux card from 1986-87 with a rare early Lemieux auto.