Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Hockey Card Thread...show your recent pick-ups.

Comments

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Absolutely tragic 💔

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2022 5:24AM

@Frozencaribou said:

@Goldenage said:

@Frozencaribou said:
    I've owned this Beliveau in an SGC 88 and a PSA 7, but didn't fully appreciate these Quakers until the last few years. This is my latest acquisition. Thinking this can't be below a PSA 6, can it?

-Nathanael

Beautiful card. Submit it yet, or too many reasons not to ?
    Love the card.

I did submit the Beliveau, and PSA did damage it as I feared they might. Take a look at the lower left corner. After all I know about what has been happening at PSA over the last two years, I really do have to shoulder the blame for letting PSA handle an irreplaceable card that I cherish. I think I've finally convinced myself that whatever golden grade might lie ahead for an ungraded card, it is too risky to send it to PSA these days.

Card prior to grading

That’s a shame. I know how much time and effort you have in that set
    I understand. It’s just not easy to switch to this company overnight.

I’ve been searching nights and days for centered copies of this. Still looking for more.

• Options

Want more centered copies of this too. Not easy.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Lemieux's, goldenage. The 1986-87 OPC is so hard to find centered.

Also, thanks guys for commiserating with me on the 1955 quaker oats Beliveau. It's a pop 9 with 4 higher. Was really hoping for a 7 but I'm pretty sure it was deemed a 6 before it was damaged.

I still appreciate PSA, but its hard to stomach these ongoing issues. I think that PSA's holdering machine is responsible for the corners lifting on vintage cards. I hope they can own up to this at some point and revert to their previous processes that did not damage cards.

I have 15 other high grade quaker oats to go in for grading, but there is no way I'm sending them to PSA until all this blows over.

You'd think that a third party grader would put the safety of cards coming to them as the number one priority. I'd love to hear a commitment from the top to solve this issue.

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Back in the game a little and if it's OK, I just wanted to let you all know I posted some PSA cards for sale over in the B/S/T section. Lots of great hockey cards.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:

@Goldenage said:

@Frozencaribou said:
    I've owned this Beliveau in an SGC 88 and a PSA 7, but didn't fully appreciate these Quakers until the last few years. This is my latest acquisition. Thinking this can't be below a PSA 6, can it?

-Nathanael

Beautiful card. Submit it yet, or too many reasons not to ?
    Love the card.

I did submit the Beliveau, and PSA did damage it as I feared they might. Take a look at the lower left corner. After all I know about what has been happening at PSA over the last two years, I really do have to shoulder the blame for letting PSA handle an irreplaceable card that I cherish. I think I've finally convinced myself that whatever golden grade might lie ahead for an ungraded card, it is too risky to send it to PSA these days.

Card prior to grading

Did PSA admit to damaging the card and compensate you for it?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2022 1:48PM

6 of these are in Stage 3 right now at PSA for card and auto grade.

The other four I’m saving for Cheevers and Sanderson

These also. Hope to get both in PSA 4. Two variations. The top is the regular one. Bottom is the missing magenta final plate run version which is much tougher.

Both backgrounds are different colors.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2022 3:58AM

I picked this up and will buy more in PSA 8-9-10 if anyone is selling or trading.

1866 is the year Starr in Canada patented the first ever hockey skate.
    A few years later the first ever indoor hockey game was played in Montreal, right next to where Mario was born and raised.

• Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2022 7:58AM

@MinorLeaguer said:
    The first PSA 10 recently popped for the 1983 Canadian National Juniors Steve Yzerman. Congrats to the owner. First card of an iconic player. Would love to see it If anyone on this board happened to be the submitter and wishes to share. The Lemieux in that set in PSA 10 is still only a pop of 2. Pops are still relatively low even in PSA 9.

Here it is on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304677382361?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8nffp5fvr_u&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=vYkISUv2RNW&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

C'mon racing gods let me hit something sweet on Breeders Cup weekend and I'll buy this!

• Options
    edited December 5, 2022 12:31PM

Picked this up last month

and just got this one last week.

Trying to buy them as dead centered as possible.

• Options

Didn’t have any OPC hockey vintage in beckett holder until this Lemieux pickup which was too nice to pass up and looks great in hand.

• Options

Nice to add some promising Young Guns in 10s. The Dylans were probably my faves. Unfortunately the bigger ones, Caulfield and Beniers, were 9s but cant complain. Will try again with two new Mattys.

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I'll bite. Homemade?

• Options

@georgebailey2 said:

I'll bite. Homemade?

Just found the question...
    Not sure what you're "biting"? That sounds painful.
    It's an original painted card, yes.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options

@BuckHunter68 said:

@georgebailey2 said:

I'll bite. Homemade?

Just found the question...
    Not sure what you're "biting"? That sounds painful.
    It's an original painted card, yes.

You've never heard that? Fishing term. The assumption in this thread is that someone traded or purchased a new card for their collection. You posted a mock-up of Henri Richard in the style of 57-58 Topps. I believe you were probably looking for an inquisitive response regarding a neat looking card that doesn't exist.

In other words, you were fishing for a response and I indicated that I would take the bait.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭✭

@MinorLeaguer said:
    1988-89 General Foods Sakic with the whole Nordiques set. Backs are blank. Been looking for this Sakic for awhile. eBay photo below. Hoping it looks as good in person to be worth to send in to PSA. There is a 1988-89 Nordiques team issue postcard set with Sakic as well. I've seen single postcards from that set for sale but never the Sakic. Someday it will show up!

Very nice! I picked one up last year, along with the team issue postcard you mentioned. There was a seller on eBay that was listing these pretty regularly for a while. Killer examples too. Please let me know if you get PSA to grade these, as I'll likely send mine in as well.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a big Sakic fan and he’s still in my top 5 all time faves.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

In thinking about it...I don't know you, either. You nay have been harmlessly bantering. I was unfair and I'm sorry.
    Some folks get ANGRY about my artwork. They immediately think that I slap a photo into photoshop or the like and make an instant card. Then, they attack me.
    I simply cannot afford the cards I want OR they don't exist.
    I'm sorry I jumped.
    I do wish collectors would remember it's collecting.
    That card, for instance, took two days to paint and I had to start over 3 times. I was proud of it and eager to share it. That's all.

• Options

In unrelated news that card damage is like a dagger. I'm so sorry that happened to your Beliveau. Only collectors will understand.

• Options

@BuckHunter68 said:
    In thinking about it...I don't know you, either. You nay have been harmlessly bantering. I was unfair and I'm sorry.
    Some folks get ANGRY about my artwork. They immediately think that I slap a photo into photoshop or the like and make an instant card. Then, they attack me.
    I simply cannot afford the cards I want OR they don't exist.
    I'm sorry I jumped.
    I do wish collectors would remember it's collecting.
    That card, for instance, took two days to paint and I had to start over 3 times. I was proud of it and eager to share it. That's all.

When you say “paint” do you mean by hand? Or painted in software? I’m not being a smart ass, I’m genuinely curious.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Were there some deleted posts?
    It seems as though Buckhunter68 is apologizing to someone for something, which doesn't make sense.

I think the homemade card is pretty nice. No doubt, it took a lot of effort. I have no problem with the original post. The only "negative" I can even remotely think of is that for those unfamiliar with Topps and Parkhurst of that era may have been confused by the card if they tried to find one on Ebay.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Preparing to move and digging through boxes. Love this image of Wayne, total boss:

• Options

First sub in a long while, all OPC!

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    First sub in a long while, all OPC!

Looking forward to seeing the results.

• Options

Glad this thread came back up because I was interested to get people's thoughts here on what you feel a nice raw Series 2 Bedard Young Guns will go for in terms of price, one that looks like it has a shot at a PSA 10. Then thoughts on what a PSA 10 will go for. After the initial overpay for new stuff wears off. Was also wondering if anybody had thoughts on why Cooley and Fantilli dont appear to be included in Series 2. Was looking forward to picking up some of those too. More affordable options.

Just turned these in for the $15 special.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:
    Glad this thread came back up because I was interested to get people's thoughts here on what you feel a nice raw Series 2 Bedard Young Guns will go for in terms of price, one that looks like it has a shot at a PSA 10. Then thoughts on what a PSA 10 will go for. After the initial overpay for new stuff wears off. Was also wondering if anybody had thoughts on why Cooley and Fantilli dont appear to be included in Series 2. Was looking forward to picking up some of those too. More affordable options.

Great cards! Considering where the #1 draft pick Bedard has gone ($7000 USD in PSA 10), I can't imagine the Young guns Bedard starting under $500. We shall see. Of course Upper Deck will milk this for every last dime they can get, so I'd imagine the printing presses will be rolling for a long time on series 2.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Added some huge cards to the Roy PC last year. Here are some of the better/tougher ones:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

Love the Roys. His return to MtL on Thursday was cool, fans were going bonkers. Total icon in MTL. Would love an 86 in a 10 but alas.

• Options

Thats what I struggle with, with young guns. I collect Price and can get /50 and /100 rookies of his for way less than a 10 of his YG. I bought his Cup ARP for under a G when the 10 YG was the same.

And the newer issues as you point out are printed in obscene quantities.

@Frozencaribou said:

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:

Great cards! Considering where the #1 draft pick Bedard has gone ($7000 USD in PSA 10), I can't imagine the Young guns Bedard starting under $500. We shall see. Of course Upper Deck will milk this for every last dime they can get, so I'd imagine the printing presses will be rolling for a long time on series 2.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    Love the Roys. His return to MtL on Thursday was cool, fans were going bonkers. Total icon in MTL. Would love an 86 in a 10 but alas.

Seeing him back at the Bell Centre was awesome and the fans were awesome to him! Very proud to have the 86 Roy PSA 10 in my PC.

• Options

I bet! Topps or OPC?

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    I bet! Topps or OPC?

OPC of course! I should have specified in my previous post lol

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ten year old inside me really wants to rip into these!! I just know there's a Roy PSA 10 in one of these!

Mark

• Options

Do it!

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 5:02AM

@mark_dak said:
    The ten year old inside me really wants to rip into these!! I just know there's a Roy PSA 10 in one of these!

Mark

Just one Roy per box 3x out of 4.
    Who’s on the back ?

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hidhoe said:

@mark_dak said:

Mark

>

Just one Roy per box 3x out of 4.
    Who’s on the back ?

I'll have to pull them out tonight. Not sure I could tell.

Mark

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    Also recently had this HOF pre-rookie graded:

I need to pick one of these up and get it signed.

• Options

Oh my gosh, I love those Sakics!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Oh my gosh, I love those Sakics!

Joe was the absolute nicest kid when I met him as a rookie. Very respectful and decent. He could be a high school principal or business executive. A class act.