Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What the heck is up with this card being labeled as a 1965 Swedish Candy?

I've always seen them labeled by SGC like this instead.

I haven't seen one graded by PSA before finding this one. Sure is confusing since they typically give this card the 1965 Swedish Candy label anyway.

I have tried subbing other different player cards to PSA that are from the same set that is labeled as 1965 Lampo by SGC, and PSA always N9's them. OK, so we can call this a mech error in this case, but it would be nice if they would actually establish what to properly label it and start grading items from that set. >>

I noticed this too. I actually don't think Sweedish candy is correct for either. The perfetti card was definitely mislabeled I think. I didn't even think psa graded them. I believe it should be labeled as 67 too. >>

I'm curious about the 1967 year for that set. Do you have any other info on it? If so, I'd love to hear it. Do you own any other cards from the same set besides the Clay card?

Also, I agree the other one should not be called 1965 Swedish Candy.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I don't remember exactly. I found an old thread I started when I first saw the card. There is a link to an eBay auction for an uncut panel but unfortunately the scans are no longer on the page. I remember seeing it though and the card was Infact part of a 4 card panel. Ill to dig up any other info. I'm pretty sure I've been told by other people that it was from 1967

Clay thread
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    had a couple of misses with the singles...so I tried a panel...

6 1 22896964 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1964 SLANIA STAMPS WORLD CHAMPION BOXERS 23 CASSIUS CLAY Card
    6 2 22896965 MINT 9 1964 SLANIA STAMPS WORLD CHAMPION BOXERS 23 CASSIUS CLAY Card
    6 3 22896966 MINT 9 1964 SLANIA STAMPS WORLD CHAMPION BOXERS 23 CASSIUS CLAY Card
    6 4 22896967 MINT 9 1964 SLANIA STAMPS WORLD CHAMPION BOXERS 23 CASSIUS CLAY Card
    6 5 22896968 EXCELLENT 5 1964 SLANIA STAMPS WORLD CHAMPION BOXERS 23 CASSIUS CLAY Card
    7 1 22896969 GEM MINT 10 1964 SLANIA STAMPS WORLD CHAMPION BOXERS CASSIUS CLAY PANEL Card

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

Lots of unique boxing items already sold on PWCC tonight or will end very soon, later this evening, as Larry liquidated his registries. Saw a couple strong final sale prices in there. Anyone pick up anything nice?

• Options
    The card looks better in person than the scan. It is creased but it's not as dark. It's a tough card to find. I always thought the panini card was his rookie.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

Nice Frazier. I've got one I picked up a few months ago that I haven't subbed yet. Hoping for at least an 8 of not better on it. Will definitely post results of that one when I get it back.

• Options
    Had this for sometime but when I checked the PSA Cert Verification its listed as
    1981 contacted PSA Customer service and the response is that the flip is wrong and
    the date should be 1981 and I can send it back for correction. Not sure if its really
    worth all the effort ?

Question:

Is this really a 1981 release it has 82 on the reverse and I thought that referred to
    the year 1982. Won’t even get into why they put “PANINI FOOTBALL” on the flip

imageimage
  • Options

What you're seeing there with the years is to my experience fairly common with many different Panini sets issued in many different countries throughout the '70's and '80's. Like eagles, I've picked up a lot of lesser-known European issue cards and this sort of thing happens with the years.

Just send in your mech error the next time you send in a sub order (separate form though). There's no charge and it is usually pretty painless. I typically save up my mech error cards until I have a pile of them, which happens relatively frequently. Remember to check your label when it is returned to you though; I've had multiple orders where the data report showed it as being corrected but no one actually followed up and physically re-opened the cards to adjust the label to match the revised cert report.

For an example of the switcheroo on years from cards issued in North America, see for example how different the Topps vs. OPC cards in the '80's were. Not quite the same as some other Panini examples I could draw your attention to, but an example nonetheless:

• Options

Just got these in after a recent pickup. Can anyone confirm the issuance year with certainty? Obviously they are similar to the Monedas cards so the year is probably no more than a year or two off that at most.

• Options

Bump for the question above
  • Options
    Sorry I'm zero help with your question but ill bump the thread. These just popped today. I like this Dempsey better than the Champion card

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 22706394 GOOD 2 1922 Boys Magazine Boxers Jack Dempsey Card
    2 1 22706395 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1909 Ogden's Ltd. Pugilists & Wrestlers 55 Jack Johnson Card
  • Options

I am working on packaging these items up with part of a larger order I sold this week, but figured I'd take the change to scan a few of them before shipping them out in case anyone was interested to see them. The first one is a 1950 B.E.A. Premio Sport #615 Joe Walcott, and is the only card graded from the set at this point. Wanted to post it just in case there isn't another chance to see what they look like for a long time as they are hard to find:

Next is a 1950 Kiddy's Favourites - Popular Boxers - Name in Black #15 Joe Walcott. This is notable because it is particularly hard to get a grade above a 1 or an Authentic for any card from this set due to the constant presence of staple holes from their distribution method:

This one is a 1951 Albosport Didasco #567 Joe Walcott. Only one graded from the set. It is Authentic rather than numerical due to the way it is hand-cut from the sheet, but still a tough card to find from a tough set:

Last is a 1942 Editorial Bruguera #2 Paulino Uzcudun. It isn't very difficult to find the cards raw from this set, but I have found it very hard to get grades above A, 1, 1.5 or 2 from this particular issue since their being very thin makes them prone to damage easily, so I was amazed to have found one that popped at 5:

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. I personally like to see some obscure issues in slabs as sometimes wrestling cards are in those sets and it can make it easier to get in slabs if other cards from the set are slabbed first.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>Bump for the question above >>

Bump for Evaristo Juncosa & Bubi set/issuance info question above
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Just got these in after a recent pickup. Can anyone confirm the issuance year with certainty? Obviously they are similar to the Monedas cards so the year is probably no more than a year or two off that at most.

image >>

Still trying to follow up to my question here, I did find a listing by PWCC for a card that is similar to the Jack Dempsey I posted, but this one is a mech. error. This one is clearly not a Celeccion de Monedas. For those not familiar with them, this one is correctly labeled as a Monedas, and you can see the front and back are very different. Shame about the population report error that goes along with the mech. error of the Dempsey that is not a Monedas but that will probably never be fixed. Either way, the mislabeled card seems to be some sort of an error of incomplete printing too, as it does not have the name on front or the advertisement in the lower half on back.

• Options

<< <i>Still trying to follow up to my question here, I did find a listing by PWCC for a card that is similar to the Jack Dempsey I posted, but this one is a mech. error. This one is clearly not a Celeccion de Monedas. For those not familiar with them, this one is correctly labeled as a Monedas, and you can see the front and back are very different. Shame about the population report error that goes along with the mech. error of the Dempsey that is not a Monedas but that will probably never be fixed. Either way, the mislabeled card seems to be some sort of an error of incomplete printing too, as it does not have the name on front or the advertisement in the lower half on back. >>

As a follow-up, I did email PWCC asking if they could pass the info about the mech error along to the buyer of the card that was mislabeled and a request that they go through the procedure to have it corrected. They were happy to send the note to the buyer, and after that not much else I can do except be pleasantly surprised if they actually send it back to PSA.

• Options

Does anyone know why the Jack Johnson master set registry has the 1911 Wills Battling Jim Johnson card as part of its composition? Someone sure made a mistake on that one!

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone know why the Jack Johnson master set registry has the 1911 Wills Battling Jim Johnson card as part of its composition? Someone sure made a mistake on that one! >>

Should be resolved soon. I emailed Gayle the following request:

I noticed that the Jack Johnson master set registry, under the vintage boxers in the Misc. category, has a mistake in the composition that should be fixed. Presently, the composition includes the 1911 W.D. & H.O. Wills - Green Star & Circle Issue - Battling Jim Johnson. The error was almost certainly made when adding the card next to it in the set checklist, and grabbing the wrong one by mistake. The Jack Johnson master set composition should include both variations of the 1911 W.D. & H.O. Wills Jack Johnson cards, which are the Green Star & Circle Issue and the Scissors Back. The correct Scissors Back card is on the list, but the list needs to be revised to delete the Battling Jim Johnson Green Star & Circle Issue and instead replace it with the Jack Johnson Green Star & Circle Issue.

• Options

I posted this card on this thread a long while ago when it was raw. It was graded a short time after that, but I just sold it so I thought I'd post scans before it shipped out in case anyone was curious how it graded out. It is a pop 1 in a grade of EX-MT 6, with the next highest being 2's. The price was right so I let it go.

• Options
    Interesting that there is no border to it with the back the way it is
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

That's because they were magazine-issue "cards"

• Options

Hate to tell you but the Freddy Welsh has been trimmed on the bottom edge. Run your finger along it and feel the uneveness if you can't see it. I know the seller of those items and he has a lot of trimmed and recolored items he's sold.

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

no problems from PSA so far... My 1923 Union Jack Monarchs came back 6.5, 7, 7, 8, 8... and i have another 6 the 1923 Knockouts from the same seller going in this weekend. So until i have an issue with the seller ...... I'll post the grades when i get them back.
  • Options

Best of luck with them. The seller is not a bad guy and means well, but one of the dealers he buys from at shows before turning the items around for sale is shady and tampers with his merchandise to make it appear better. You'll find a lot of great items from the seller, but some you have to worry about as well. I've learned which sets seem to be trouble and which ones are typically OK when buying from him. Unfortunately it took a decent sized stack of rejects in the process, too.

• Options
    Then you are talking about someone different. This Ebayer is in England my dear chapimage
    His ebay name is manutdfufu
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Then you are talking about someone different. This Ebayer is in England my dear chapimage
    His ebay name is manutdfufu >>

Thanks for sharing the seller! They have some nice pre-war golf as well. I would find it odd that someone would trim the bottom of that card an not recolour the lower left corner also.
  • Options

<< <i>Then you are talking about someone different. This Ebayer is in England my dear chapimage
    His ebay name is manutdfufu >>

Yes, I know Martin. We are most certainly talking about the same person. I've purchased probably nearly 1000 items from him over the past few years. I assure you, I have a stack of between 50 & 75 items that are either recolored or trimmed that I purchased from him expecting them not to be. I examine the items very closely before purchasing as well, and I have passed on a whole lot more items than that that I was able to determine were trimmed or recolored before I purchased and had to otherwise find out once they were in hand.

Again, I'm saying he does in fact sell a lot of good items. Most of them are totally fine. However, there are a surprising percentage that you won't find out are bad until after you have them in hand.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've stopped buying raw English cards from England. There's no malice involved -- alteration just isn't something that's frowned upon very much -- but it still makes for a disappointing mail day when something shows up trimmed or recolored. I think miwlvrn's numbers are conservative and the percentage of altered cards in my dealings has been higher. It's like buying unopened on ebay, just not worth it.
  • Options

<< <i>I've stopped buying raw English cards from England. There's no malice involved -- alteration just isn't something that's frowned upon very much -- but it still makes for a disappointing mail day when something shows up trimmed or recolored. I think miwlvrn's numbers are conservative and the percentage of altered cards in my dealings has been higher. It's like buying unopened on ebay, just not worth it. >>

I agree, the avg. percentage is actually a lot higher. I used to make more mistakes when buying from the UK than I do now. Unfortunately I've developed skills enough to keep my numbers down where they are, to less than 10% altered, but the percentage started out notably higher. Also, I don't only get altered items from the seller discussed in the past couple posts here, but from others too. In order to make it worth the gamble of buying from a lot of the Euro sites, you have to do better on the items that are not altered in order to cover the losses on the ones that do end up altered. It is a bit of a different margins game than I find buying from U.S. & Canada.

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I have been buying overseas for some 20+ years and the only issue was cards that were in albums not described that way in the description. I don't buy the "I know nothing about cards" line of ...
    Or cards that have had the glue professionally removed. Unfortunately the unscrupulous dealers have been on this side of the pond. I have had zero problems with Martin so far.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I echo the comments above. I've had about a 95% success rate with Martin, and the misses tended to be the 1912 Cohen Weenen and other black bordered cards. As they don't cost much, it's not that big of a loss either way, but it is good to be aware of..
  • Options

Just in case it helps people avoid some bad stuff, here you go:

Wanted to offer some advice on buying items from manutdfufu based on a huge sample size of purchasing I've done with him:

about 95% of his 1915 Cope's he offers for sale are altered
    about 95% of his 1912 Cohen Weenen cards are altered
    about 75% of his "Black" Ogden's cards are altered (i.e., any of the many 1901 and 1902 sets)
    about 35% of his "White" Ogden's cards are altered (i.e., 1908, 1909 and 1915)
    about 35% of his 1925 Teofani/Magnums cards are altered

A few items from various sets from the early 50's have been altered as well but it is much less common.

Most of the other items I've purchased have graded out without trouble, and believe me, that covers a lot of other various sets from different decades/eras.

I don't really get into purchasing many golf items at all, but I would suspect that similar trouble exists with the black-bordered golf cards too.

Hope this helps!

• Options

Also, about 50% of his 1913 W.D. & H.O. Wills - British Army Boxers Series cards are altered

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't really get into purchasing many golf items at all, but I would suspect that similar trouble exists with the black-bordered golf cards too.

Hope this helps! >>

Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just in case it helps people avoid some bad stuff, here you go:

Wanted to offer some advice on buying items from manutdfufu based on a huge sample size of purchasing I've done with him:

about 95% of his 1915 Cope's he offers for sale are altered
    about 95% of his 1912 Cohen Weenen cards are altered
    about 75% of his "Black" Ogden's cards are altered (i.e., any of the many 1901 and 1902 sets)
    about 35% of his "White" Ogden's cards are altered (i.e., 1908, 1909 and 1915)
    about 35% of his 1925 Teofani/Magnums cards are altered

A few items from various sets from the early 50's have been altered as well but it is much less common.

Most of the other items I've purchased have graded out without trouble, and believe me, that covers a lot of other various sets from different decades/eras.

I don't really get into purchasing many golf items at all, but I would suspect that similar trouble exists with the black-bordered golf cards too.

Hope this helps! >>

thanks for the extremely helpful post.
  • Options
  • Options
    Any boxing collectors that buy postcards of boxers? I'd love to see what you have here as well.
  • Options

Had a good amount of vintage boxing in an order that popped tonight. Here's a couple highlights:

NEAR MINT 7 1902 Ogden's Ltd. Tabs General Interest Series B 79 J.L. Sullivan
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1953 A & J Donaldson Ltd. Sport Favourites 267 Joe Louis

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options

Does anyone know why the 1920 Juncosa Chocolates Notabilidades de La Pantalla set is now specified as "no longer grading" (relevant due to the Dempsey in this set)? I've subbed multiple ones of this card before, the most recent of which was in an August special that popped a couple/few months after that, so it can't have been long since they quit grading them.

Additionally, the card does not come up anymore when searched for in the pop report search page. You now have to go to the set's line item yourself under the European/Foreign section and link to it there.

In related 1920 Pantalla Dempsey news, what is the 1920 Perales los Ases de La Pantalla 10 Jack Dempsey card? I've never seen a card from this set before.

• Options
    We're those dempsey cards labeled 1920 or 1920's? Ugh.. Just when I thought I was done with boxing rookies
  • Options

The Notabilidades are labeled as 1920's but the set is listed as 1920 in the pop report, even though there is also a line item for 1920's under Euro/Foreign as well. I'm not sure what the 1920 Perales los Ases de La Pantalla 10 card has on the label, 1920 or 1920's. Maybe R.C. knows, since it sounded like he'd seen one before based on his post in your Dempsey rookie thread.. There are several other Dempsey cards that have 1920 rather than 1920's on the label though.
  • Options

<< <i>The Notabilidades are labeled as 1920's but the set is listed as 1920 in the pop report, even though there is also a line item for 1920's under Euro/Foreign as well. I'm not sure what the 1920 Perales los Ases de La Pantalla 10 card has on the label, 1920 or 1920's. Maybe R.C. knows, since it sounded like he'd seen one before based on his post in your Dempsey rookie thread.. There are several other Dempsey cards that have 1920 rather than 1920's on the label though. >>

A post on this thread claims the Perales is labeled as 1920's.

• Options

high grade among a vintage boxing order that just popped today:

NEAR MINT 7 1901 Ogden's Ltd. Tabs General Interest Series A 91 Pedler Palmer, pop 1, none higher.

It is pretty tough to get a 7 in this set. There are lots of trimmed and retouched cards too. There are no 7.5's from the entire set, only one card has made an 8, and no cards from the set have been higher than that.

• Options

<< <i>high grade among a vintage boxing order that just popped today:

NEAR MINT 7 1901 Ogden's Ltd. Tabs General Interest Series A 91 Pedler Palmer, pop 1, none higher.

It is pretty tough to get a 7 in this set. There are lots of trimmed and retouched cards too. There are no 7.5's from the entire set, only one card has made an 8, and no cards from the set have been higher than that. >>

That is great. I learned the lesson of recolored cards from this set long ago and then just picked some up the graded route after that.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fairly certain the Dempsey cards only show 1920 online because of formatting issues. As has been mentioned, they are labeled 1920's on the flips and neither card was produced before 1924. If I had to guess I would say in the 1926/1927 range. The only "card" I'm aware of that could possibly claim a 1920 issue date is the U&U.