Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    my newest pick up should have been psa but there was a show close to home
    jesse6131414
  • Options
    I'm interested in strip cards PSA graded. AUTH is ok as it keeps the price down. I'm also interested in pre-1940 psa graded boxing.

My goal is to have at least 1 PSA card of every boxing HOF member. I have a few & just picked up 4 more.
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Just got these back from PSA. Does anyone know which one is more common, the black or red back?

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/boxingandwrestling/media/1910E79JackJohnsonscrappers_zps7d7fbb19.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got these back from PSA. Does anyone know which one is more common, the black or red back?

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/boxingandwrestling/media/1910E79JackJohnsonscrappers_zps7d7fbb19.jpg.html]image[/URL] >>

Well, the pop report has 25 black back and only 2 red back, so based on that I'd say the choice is pretty clear. Congratulations on the red back!

In other news, does anyone feel confident Manny-Mayweather will actually happen?

• Options

<< <i>Well, the pop report has 25 black back and only 2 red back, so based on that I'd say the choice is pretty clear. Congratulations on the red back! >>

Now that I think about it, it is definitely worth adding that the probability of there being some red backs graded by PSA but not having the red back distinction on the label is incredibly high.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, the pop report has 25 black back and only 2 red back, so based on that I'd say the choice is pretty clear. Congratulations on the red back! >>

Now that I think about it, it is definitely worth adding that the probability of there being some red backs graded by PSA but not having the red back distinction on the label is incredibly high. >>

Agreed.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Now that I think about it, it is definitely worth adding that the probability of there being some red backs graded by PSA but not having the red back distinction on the label is incredibly high. >>

PSA can be a bit slow to recognize variations such as this but you would have to think that the red is tougher. Great cards!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The red is MUCH tougher. PSA has known about and recognized the backs for quite a while now. As someone who searched for red backs for a while, I would say the pop report ratio is at least accurate, possibly even tougher than what it suggests.
  • Options
    Your T220 Champions card is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

df
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options

<< <i>Your T220 Champions card is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

df >>

thanks...i didn't know there was 2 versions of that card, this being the rarer, till i looked tav the pop report
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Nice pick up. Lost in the abundance of 1929 Die Welt in Bildern cards is the fact that Manoli and Sulima backs are TOUGH. I use to buy the full albums from Germany years ago and would soak the cards off. I think I only ever found 2 Sulimas and 1 Manoli. Those two backs proved to be extremely difficult for me to obtain.

Just always request a back scan before you buy. I've seen Salem/Jazmatzi/etc. backs in PSA slabs that were labeled Manoli or Sulima.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up recently. He is my grandmother's uncle (I think). This is the second card that I have picked up of him. The previous one had another boxer on the back. This one has his record.
  • Options

Amazing, this crazy guy has the same graded Joe Louis card posted in three simultaneous listings, 2 auctions and 1 fixed price.

linky

• Options

<< <i>Amazing, this crazy guy has the same graded Joe Louis card posted in three simultaneous listings, 2 auctions and 1 fixed price.

linky >>

Ha ha, pretty classic. I sent the seller a message about there being three separate simultaneous listings for the same card, and here is the message I received back:

"please don't tell us what to do, ok ?"

Gotta love that. I reported the listings, so it looks like in the mean time ebay closed down one of the 3, though there are still 2, go fig.

Edit to add: As it turns out, lots and lots of his items for sale are listed either twice or three times, sometimes w/ one auction and one fixed and sometimes 2 auctions and 2 fixed price. Basically just a deltabravoey way of hoarding free listings during promotion offers, I suppose. I wonder what happens if someone has bid on an item and then someone else buys the same item on fixed price buy-it-now?

• Options

I picked up a lot that had some cards that I'm not familiar with and am hoping for some help with identification. It is a French-issue set, mid 1930's, hand-cut. The scan shows an example inside a card saver to illustrate size/dimensions. The backs are blank and the paper stock is relatively thin. Does anyone have any more info on these or know what they are? Thank you!

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    nice card of the first Champ
    jesse6131414
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I picked up a lot that had some cards that I'm not familiar with and am hoping for some help with identification. It is a French-issue set, mid 1930's, hand-cut. The scan shows an example inside a card saver to illustrate size/dimensions. The backs are blank and the paper stock is relatively thin. Does anyone have any more info on these or know what they are? Thank you!

image >>

Bump for help on identifying this obscure French set of cards?

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Came in the mail yesterday!

Wondo

• Options
    Incredible blue color!! Nice purchase
  • Options

Wow, great pickup Wondo!
  • Options
    Thanks! Looks like a 2.5 - 3.5 to me, but I doubt I'll spend the money to slab it. I was very happy with the purchase - came from UK.
    Wondo

• Options
    Nice card. Here's my latest.

df

Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options

<< <i>Nice card. Here's my latest.

df

image >>

Sweet!!! Are you working on auto 1951s or is this just a cool piece?
    Wondo

• Options
    Well, I'm starting in on the 51s, but this is just a cool piece. So far...

df
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    auto'd ringside set would be simply outstanding - and maybe take a decade of dedication. If you proceed, be sure to keep us updated!
  • Options
    I don't think I'd start in on an autographed set, as I don't know how possible it would be. I am starting the set, though, in PSA 8 as much as I can get them in that condition. So, yeah, give me a while!

df

Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Hey all, advance apologies for the spam but I have a few nice high-end boxing HOF RCs up in this month's Mile High Auction, most are going far far under ebay prices. If they're going to go for peanuts, would very much like to see them end up in this thread - that Bobbie Frazier in particular.

OK, back on track. Here's a recent pickup:
  • Options
    After posting my signed 1951 Ringside Jersey Joe Walcott, I was asked if I was starting a set of signed Ringsides. I said no, of course. Then this came along. So who knows?

df
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options
    I don't collect boxing, but I find this thread to be really really cool. I grew up in Rhode Island, and Vinny Pazienza was a local boy who won the world championship a couple of times. Was Paz on any cards? Anybody got any to show?
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    He has an 1986browns boxing card. I have one I'll post a scan. I'm from RI too
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    In today's mailbox...

df

Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options
    Here is the Vinnie Paz

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Dupe post
  • Options
    Sweet, thanks! The Pazmanian Devil!
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I picked up a lot that had some cards that I'm not familiar with and am hoping for some help with identification. It is a French-issue set, mid 1930's, hand-cut. The scan shows an example inside a card saver to illustrate size/dimensions. The backs are blank and the paper stock is relatively thin. Does anyone have any more info on these or know what they are? Thank you!

image >>

Bump for help on identifying this obscure French set of cards? >>

Another bump for still trying to figure out what this small sized French set is.

Also, I picked up a new Jack Dempsey; if anyone has any info at all about this set, please let me know, as I would love to get this one into a holder.

• Options
    nice card
    jesse6131414
  • Options
    Love seeing oddball foreign issues of the "other" sports!
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    my boxing collection is pretty small, but I liked this one....the name is timeless!!!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm if these are from this set? 1950 Dutch Gum Cards "D" Set-Plain Text I picked up a lot of 50s-early 60s Ingemar Johansson & Floyd Patterson cards recently and these are the only two I can't figure out.

Cards are in CS1s for size reference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Can anyone confirm if these are from this set? 1950 Dutch Gum Cards "D" Set-Plain Text I picked up a lot of 50s-early 60s Ingemar Johansson & Floyd Patterson cards recently and these are the only two I can't figure out.

Hi Kyle,

I know a helluvalot about these various sets that have evolved into a consensus of acceptable nomenclature under "Dutch Gum". First off, yes, I will confirm for you that the cards you have match up with the list of cards under the PSA pop report link you provided. Here is a link to the complete set checklist for the "D" set w/ plain text. Troy, the guy who runs the movie card website, put 1950's on it before he knew the exact year of issuance. When PSA began grading them, they shortened the year, putting 1950 instead of 1950's like they very often do with lots of sets (dropping the apostrophe s). He has tons of accurate, useful data on his website but he does have the year for this set and some other "Dutch Gum" ones wrong though. The true year of issuance for this particular "D" set is 1961. I've had that confirmed by multiple reliable sources I have in Sweden (the nation of its origin), and it is also evidenced by what movies the photos of several cards in the set depict.

So to sum up the answer to your question here, if you sub your cards, they will be labeled as the 1950 "D" set. It is the wrong year but that error is much too far entrenched to ever be corrected by PSA at this point. If you have any other questions about similar sets to these, you're welcome to send me a PM if you like.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Carew,

Those are some nice Louis cards ... Getting them in holders?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn

Hi Kyle,

I know a helluvalot about these various sets that have evolved into a consensus of acceptable nomenclature under "Dutch Gum". First off, yes, I will confirm for you that the cards you have match up with the list of cards under the PSA pop report link you provided. Here is a link to the complete set checklist for the "D" set w/ plain text. Troy, the guy who runs the movie card website, put 1950's on it before he knew the exact year of issuance. When PSA began grading them, they shortened the year, putting 1950 instead of 1950's like they very often do with lots of sets (dropping the apostrophe s). He has tons of accurate, useful data on his website but he does have the year for this set and some other "Dutch Gum" ones wrong though. The true year of issuance for this particular "D" set is 1961. I've had that confirmed by multiple reliable sources I have in Sweden (the nation of its origin), and it is also evidenced by what movies the photos of several cards in the set depict.

So to sum up the answer to your question here, if you sub your cards, they will be labeled as the 1950 "D" set. It is the wrong year but that error is much too far entrenched to ever be corrected by PSA at this point. If you have any other questions about similar sets to these, you're welcome to send me a PM if you like.

Thanks! That's what was confusing me, the seller had 1961 listed as the date and was dead on for all the others, but the pop had this as 1950 so I couldn't be sure with that much variation.
  • Options

Originally posted by: miwlvrn

Hi Kyle,

Thanks! That's what was confusing me, the seller had 1961 listed as the date and was dead on for all the others, but the pop had this as 1950 so I couldn't be sure with that much variation.

Glad to help. BTW, you are looking at a G-VG 2.5 on the 121 and a Fair 1.5 on the 95 based on the degree of layer separation (assuming no MK on either back).