Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

SGC will grade items from the 1941 Editorial Valenciana - Boxeadores - Serie A C set but PSA will not. There are other sets in the serie with other topics (for example, Serie A D is Estrellas de Cine). You will occasionally see items from the boxing set listed under the name Black Cat but that is not accurate for this particular set. I have a whole checklist put together for the boxing set based on the content of the original albums, though not sure where I saved it at the moment. Let me know if you need to know other info about these. I would not consider them difficult to find, though most will be in low grade condition.

@doubledragon said:
    1939 African Tobacco

There are two mech errors on that label. It should be 1939 instead of 1938, and should also specify Large (as opposed to the Small version that also exists)

@doubledragon said:
    1953 A&J Donaldson

The A&J Donaldson set was definitely issued in 1948. All catalogs list it as such, and additionally, the content of the text on the back of a huge portion of these cards provide plenty of evidence for 1948 being the right year. For reasons unknown to anyone, PSA incorrectly labels them as 1953 and does not seem interested in fixing this error.

Also, there are many variations within the set, though not each variation exists for all cards. For your Joe Louis, it was available in Type 8 and in Type 10.

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.com/2016/01/a-j-donaldson-don-060-1doz-1-1-sports.html

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:
    Can anyone explain why the back of these two 1937 Ardath Joe Louis cards are different?

The text in the bottom 25% of the card.

Why is the text missing on the bottom card? Is it a more rare version or something?

The first you posted is 1938 Ardath, the second 1937 (as PSA recognizes them).

ETA: The 1937 are slightly more scarce (for the player I collect in both at least), but neither are very difficult.

Looks like the other way around. The G.S. series is 1938, which is the second card (see lower corner on back).

Here are some notes for you:
    1936 Ardath Tobacco - Photocards - Z Series (these have card numbers while the other sets are unnumbered)
    1937 Ardath Photocards - Series of Topical Interest
    1938 Ardath Tobacco - Continuous Series of General Interest B&W
    1938 Ardath Photocrads - Series of Topical Interest - G.S. Series

@ReggieCleveland said:

@miwlvrn said:
    In case you're interested, here is the full checklist. I am certain about the year. There are many cards in the set with text on back where their content provide evidence of 1930 being accurate.

1930 Xocolata Viladas Agramunt - Quien Es El Campeon Mundial?

1 Header Card
    2 Harold Osborn (High Jump) U.S.A.
    3 Leo Goehring (Standing High Jump) U.S.A.
    4 Sylvio Cator (Long Jump) Haiti
    5 Anthony William "Nick" Winter (Triple Jump) Australia
    6 Sabin W. Carr (Pole Vault) U.S.A.
    7 John Kuck (Shot Put) U.S.A.
    8 Pat Ryan (Hammer Throw) U.S.A.
    9 Lemuel Clarence "Bud" Houser (Discus) U.S.A.
    10 Eino Penttila (Javelin) U.S.A.
    11 Frankie Genaro (Boxing) U.S.A.
    12 Panama Al Brown (Boxing) Panama
    13 Battling Battalino (Boxing) U.S.A.
    14 Sammy Mandell (Boxing) U.S.A.
    15 Jackie Fields (Boxing) U.S.A.
    16 Mickey Walker (Boxing) U.S.A.
    17 Tommy Loughran (Boxing) U.S.A.
    18 Max Schmeling (Boxing) Germany
    19 Charles Rigoulot (Weightlifting) France
    20 Charley Paddock (100m) U.S.A.
    21 Paavo Nurmi (300m) Finland
    22 Boughera El Ouafi (Marathon) France (Algeria)
    23 George Weightman-Smith (110m Hurdles) South Africa
    24 John Weissmuller (Swimming) U.S.A.
    25 Arne Borg (Swimming) Sweden
    26 Erich Rademacher (Swimming) Germany
    27 Pete Desjardins (Diving) U.S.A.
    28 Karl Bahre (Water Polo) Germany
    29 Rene Lacoste (Tennis) France
    30 Henri Cochet (Tennis) France
    31 Lucien Gaudin (Ojandin) (Fencing) France
    32 Lucien Michard (Cycling) France
    33 Georges Paillard (Cycling) France
    34 Georges Rousse (Cycling) Belgium
    35 Bert Barry (Rowing) England
    36 Sven Petersen (Petterson) (Ski Jumping) Norway
    37 Ernst Jakob Henne (Motorcycle Racing) Germany
    38 Sir Henry O'Neil de Hane Segrave (Auto Racing) England
    39 Augustus H. Orlebar (Aviation) England
    40 Dr. Hugo Eckener (Aviation (Zeppelin)) Germany
    41 Garfield Wood (Boat Racing) U.S.A.
    42 Alain Gerbault (Sailing) France

I have a copy of the Loughran. I believe these can be found with multiple different chocolate companies' advertisements. I have in my notes that they're also an Amattler set, although I don't have an image saved. I'm not sure why I would have put down a second company without an image reference but the same set being used by multiple companies was pretty common in Spain in that period. I guess I would say it's possible but not definitive. A lot of my notes were taken with the understanding that I was going to be the only one that ever cared about any of this so evidence wasn't the top priority.

Arthur

I agree that almost all of the pre-war cards from Spain had a variety of chocolate companies in the ad section. I've looked into this particular set a whole lot over the years, and never have I encountered anything but the one chocolate company (aside from the blank backs). I understand why you'd associate it with Amatller since it certainly has the look of one of theirs, but in this case I don't believe that is correct.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:
    Can anyone explain why the back of these two 1937 Ardath Joe Louis cards are different?

Why is the text missing on the bottom card? Is it a more rare version or something?

ETA: The 1937 are slightly more scarce (for the player I collect in both at least), but neither are very difficult.

Looks like the other way around. The G.S. series is 1938, which is the second card (see lower corner on back).

1936 Ardath Tobacco - Photocards - Z Series (these have card numbers while the other sets are unnumbered)

Is this hand number supposed to be on this card, or it it something that doesn't belong on it? Its on ebay, and theres already 3 bidders fighting over it. It says the number is written in the back of the card by hand.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    SGC will grade items from the 1941 Editorial Valenciana - Boxeadores - Serie A C set but PSA will not. There are other sets in the serie with other topics (for example, Serie A D is Estrellas de Cine). You will occasionally see items from the boxing set listed under the name Black Cat but that is not accurate for this particular set. I have a whole checklist put together for the boxing set based on the content of the original albums, though not sure where I saved it at the moment. Let me know if you need to know other info about these. I would not consider them difficult to find, though most will be in low grade condition.

Well if SGC grades them and there is a information on them, in theory PSA should be able to grade them. Why are they not grading them ?

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@miwlvrn said:

Well if SGC grades them and there is a information on them, in theory PSA should be able to grade them. Why are they not grading them ?

Answering that question only leads to headaches and pain. Basically, PSA goes through phases where they'll just accept whatever info someone submits as fact. Sometimes that info is wrong. Once a set has been labeled a certain way in the PSA database they won't change it no matter how ludicrous it is.

For instance, the 1935 UTC set that supposedly contains a Joe Louis rookie card was made, at the earliest, in 1941.

Arthur

@doubledragon said:

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

Is this hand number supposed to be on this card, or it it something that doesn't belong on it? Its on ebay, and theres already 3 bidders fighting over it. It says the number is written in the back of the card by hand.

Ha ha, no, definitely not supposed to be there.

@ReggieCleveland said:

@lawyer05 said:

@miwlvrn said:

Answering that question only leads to headaches and pain. Basically, PSA goes through phases where they'll just accept whatever info someone submits as fact. Sometimes that info is wrong. Once a set has been labeled a certain way in the PSA database they won't change it no matter how ludicrous it is.

For instance, the 1935 UTC set that supposedly contains a Joe Louis rookie card was made, at the earliest, in 1941.

Arthur

BTW, the set PSA labels as 1950 Kiddy's was printed and distributed during fall 1947, but that is another PSA error that will never be remedied.

So, if you want a true RC of some boxers such as Sugar Ray Robinson or Jersey Joe Walcott, the 1947 Kiddy's is actually their first appearance in a mainstream set.

It's funny this thread just got bumped because I think Adam just released another update to his book, "America's Great Boxing Cards." Seriously, if you're buying or selling boxing cards that book is a must. It has saved me thousands of dollars over the years (and probably costing me that much by making me aware of stuff I didn't know existed).

The best Joe Louis items are premiums, IMO.

Arthur

edited June 26, 2019 11:57AM

One of the biggest reasons I love Joe Louis is because he knew what it was like to struggle. For years, he struggled financially and did pretty much whatever it took to make money, even if he had to swallow his pride to do so. I know what its like to have to struggle everyday to get by. I always admired that about him. I have a decent job, but I'm by no means well off, so it's hard to have to let go of cards sometimes. I have some pretty serious health issues also, so that gets in the way.

edited June 26, 2019 1:59PM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    It's funny this thread just got bumped because I think Adam just released another update to his book, "America's Great Boxing Cards." Seriously, if you're buying or selling boxing cards that book is a must. It has saved me thousands of dollars over the years (and probably costing me that much by making me aware of stuff I didn't know existed).

The best Joe Louis items are premiums, IMO.

Arthur

i bought the book and was very disappointed. It has no index or reference to look at cards like the baseball card encyclopedia. No checklists, Its all over the place.

Heartbreaking story. Thanks for the link. I didn't know about his life story. It's heartbreaking.

I never knew that, thanks for sharing. There are so many stories like that. Reminds me of Kid Francis and Young Perez.

Arthur

Does anyone know if this is the Kiddy's favourites Joe Louis NAME IN BLUE? It's banged up pretty good so it's hard for me to tell.

Looks blue-ish compared to my black, right?

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Looks blue-ish compared to my black, right?

Arthur

Yes, I thought so too. I wasn't sure because I'm not too knowledgable about this set. Thanks for the response, I wasn't sure if anyone was out there. It was like waiting to be rescued from an island....

Got this one on the way.

I got this one from Todocollecion a few months back.

Louis has great PCs.

Globo Chewing Gum

Orcajo RPPC (Orcajo made a ton of baseball PCs)

Sportsman's Gazette (can be found blank backed or with an array of advertising)

Wittone also advertised on Louis' 1935 Brown & Bigelow premiums.

Arthur

edited June 27, 2019 6:14AM

Now that PSA has their new Jumbo holder, you can get the 1935 Detroit Free Press one graded. Should be pretty expensive in grading fees, but maybe a fun project for you.

https://prewarcards.com/2016/10/11/1935-m120-detroit-free-press-tigers-set/

The holder size is advertised as 8.5"x11". The premium size is listed as 9"x11". Sometimes the holder can accommodate a very slightly larger size item than PSA prints on their website, so you might have to acquire a holder and the card and visually check to see if it can squeeze in there. Otherwise, you might have to end up slicing it down a tiny bit with a cutter and settling for the grade to say Authentic-Altered-Trimmed, which may be worth it just to have this item in a holder.

Got this last month. Tough one to track down. The little circle on the front is what makes it difficult to find. Regular ones don't have the little circle on the front. This is the hobby version, numbered to 100. 2018 Sportkings. Took forever for one to turn up.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    The holder size is advertised as 8.5"x11". The premium size is listed as 9"x11". Sometimes the holder can accommodate a very slightly larger size item than PSA prints on their website, so you might have to acquire a holder and the card and visually check to see if it can squeeze in there.

I just measured the interior dimensions of a jumbo, I think the absolute max will be 8 5/8 x 11 1/8.

Yeah, I've got a DFP.

What I may end up using that holder on are a bunch of original studio production stills for Jack Dempsey's serials "Daredevil Jack" and "Fight & Win" from the 1920s. There isn't even a complete copy of the films anywhere. I think UCLA has less than half of it. But I scooped up a bunch of these when no one else knew what they were and they were just being sold as photos.

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Yeah, I've got a DFP.

What I may end up using that holder on are a bunch of original studio production stills for Jack Dempsey's serials "Daredevil Jack" and "Fight & Win" from the 1920s. There isn't even a complete copy of the films anywhere. I think UCLA has less than half of it. But I scooped up a bunch of these when no one else knew what they were and they were just being sold as photos.

Arthur

luckyyyyyyy

Picked these up last month.

Maxim Gallery Muhammad Ali card. Impossible to find. Got lucky.

2010 Rinside turkey red Muhammad Ali ×2

edited June 27, 2019 2:29PM

It's good to see that modern boxing is getting some love. I bought a whole bunch of the sets from the '90s to get the Dempseys for my PC and I know some of them had a crazy amount of variations. But past 2000 I think the only thing I have is this 2011 Topps Archives Louis Refractor #'d/76.

Arthur

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of unusual boxing sets here: https://www.londoncigcard.co.uk/products.php?list=7 Kinda digging the Rockwells.

@ReggieCleveland said:
    It's good to see that modern boxing is getting some love. I bought a whole bunch of the sets from the '90s to get the Dempseys for my PC and I know some of them had a crazy amount of variations. But past 2000 I think the only thing I have is this 2011 Topps Archives Louis Refractor #'d/76.

ReggieCleveland, I sent you a PM. Please check your inbox.

@LarkinCollector said:
    Lots of unusual boxing sets here: https://www.londoncigcard.co.uk/products.php?list=7 Kinda digging the Rockwells.

They don't have the 1992 Priddy Antiques listed but that set has an incredible number of different color variations that are very tough to locate. I've got a few of the Rockwell sets, the Brindley, a Sporting Profiles, and I think the Rowland. Nice sets.

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:

@LarkinCollector said:

They don't have the 1992 Priddy Antiques listed but that set has an incredible number of different color variations that are very tough to locate. I've got a few of the Rockwell sets, the Brindley, a Sporting Profiles, and I think the Rowland. Nice sets.

Arthur

PM

Thanks@ReggieCleveland. You made my day. You have a good heart. I know Joe Louis himself is smiling down on you right now.

I gotta say it was a good day.

edited August 16, 2019 6:42AM

1961 Quaker Oats Phiz Quiz Joe Louis. Almost impossible to find. Big thanks to Mark in the UK for making this possible.

edited August 16, 2019 7:06AM

1950s Svart Vita OS Sportserien Joe Louis/ Floyd Patterson. Another almost impossible card to find. Big thanks to Greg for making it possible.

1979 Quelcom Large Joe Louis. Yet another White Whale harpooned. Big thanks to LarkinCollector for making it happen.

• Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Wow. These are incredible. Some of these are from World War 1 era. That's crazy.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

2011 Topps American Pie Joe Louis retires foil. Difficult to track down.

1940s Godfrey Phillips Sports Cigarettes Joe Louis. Impossible to track down in any condition. Got lucky.

@doubledragon said:
    1940s Godfrey Phillips Sports Cigarettes Joe Louis. Impossible to track down in any condition. Got lucky.

Jason, can I get a scan of the back when you get a chance? Nice pickup!

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:

@doubledragon said:

Jason, can I get a scan of the back when you get a chance? Nice pickup!

Arthur

I haven't received it in the mail yet. It's coming from England, and it should be here early next week. I won it on Ebay last week, and there were no back scans. Here is another card from that series, so I assume the back looks something like this one. I will scan the Louis when it arrives.

• Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@Bear48 said:

A signed post card?! Awesome. What year is this? It doesn't say.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2019 8:03PM

Yes, it's a postcard. I don't know the year. Sorry.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Nice cards, haven’t seen many of those