Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JudgeIto
    Awesome stuff!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, very cool stuff JudgeIto!

• Options

1942 Adam Hats Joe Louis. This series of boxer matchbooks are very neat. I finally found the Joe Louis. I think SGC grades these, but PSA does not.

• Options

I do not own this, and never would, but I saw it on Ebay today. It is listed as a miniature naughty pictures book. It has adult naughty pictures in it, and Joe is on the front. I'm devastated.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you seen this or have this one....

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273283

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

It won't let me look at the thread because it says I'm not a member.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

SA 7 1939 African Tobacco Joe Louis

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@doubledragon said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

SA 7 1939 African Tobacco Joe Louis

Yes, I have a copy of this card, but not a PSA 7. My copy is a PSA 3. I hope to upgrade someday. This card also comes in a small version, which is harder to find. I haven't found the small version yet, but I hope I will someday. There are a lot of White Whales in the Joe Louis card world. I'm starting to feel like Captain Ahab. It can drive you mad trying to hunt some of his cards.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first boxing addition. Joe Louis!!!! Just for you Doubledragon.

• Options

@JBrules said:
    My first boxing addition. Joe Louis!!!! Just for you Doubledragon.

Ah yes, the famous 1935 J.A. Pattreiuoex Joe Louis rookie card. Nicely done.

• Options

1939 Peter the Pilot card album with Joe Louis inside. This album was made by Timaru Milling Co.
    Extremely rare to find this card especially in it's original album.

You can see Joe on the left page, 2nd row. Hey Joe, buddy, you'll be coming home soon, can't wait to see you!

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2019 9:20AM

@lawyer05 said:
    any more boxers in the album ?

I think Joe Louis is the only boxer in the album.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    1942 Adam Hats Joe Louis. This series of boxer matchbooks are very neat. I finally found the Joe Louis. I think SGC grades these, but PSA does not.

I had meant to mention answer before and forgot, but yes, they do grade them. Here is mine, graded:

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

I had meant to mention answer before and forgot, but yes, they do grade them. Here is mine, graded:

That looks very nice graded. Very cool looking slabbed.

• Options

1951 Albosport Didasco Joe Louis. This is Mega rare. The seller gave me a great deal on it.

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

If you have any autographed Joe Louis cards, please post them.

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options

@KNAPP said:
    If you have any autographed Joe Louis cards, please post them.

Beautiful card!

• Options

Thanks. I know this is not a card, but I just wanted to share.

psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options

@KNAPP said:
    Thanks. I know this is not a card, but I just wanted to share.

Very cool! The Cinderella man.

• Options
    edited September 22, 2019 6:20AM

@KNAPP Thanks for sharing the Autographed Joe Louis card and the James Braddock pass. I can't imagine what it must feel like to own Joe Louis's autograph. To think he actually held that 1951 Topps Ringside in his hands! I collect nothing but Joe Louis cards these days, and I can't describe the feeling I get when I find a cool Joe Louis card. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have an autograph of him. I've seen a 1948 Leaf autographed Joe Louis card before, but this is the first time I've seen a Topps Ringside autographed card. Very cool.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, I don't have a Louis auto in my collection but this is one of my favorite boxing items in my collection.

Arthur

• Options

A few more from my collection.

• Options

That Sugar Ray is outstanding. Let me know if you ever want to sell it.

Arthur

• Options

1977 Sportscaster Joe Louis German. Finally gotcha!

• Options
    edited September 29, 2019 6:31AM

1998 Futera Platinum Joe Louis/Ezzard Charles centerpiece card. Finally found it. You can see it in the middle. Hey Joe, buddy, I'll sneak to the mailbox and pick you up when you get here. Don't worry Joe, I won't let my wife get you. If she bothers you, we'll press charges against her for harassment.

• Options

These two cards are brutally difficult to locate.

2002 JF Sporting Collectibles Joe Louis vs Jersey Joe Walcott

2002 JF Sporting Collectibles Joe Louis vs Billy Conn

• Options

1960 Anglo American Gum Joe Louis PSA 3. This is the highest graded PSA example.

• Options

Sporting Life Chewing Gum Joe Louis. I love the image of Joe Louis on this card, I couldn't pass it up.

• Options

This was listed as a 1960s Mexican Joe Louis card. I've never seen it before. It has a blank back. I just got it from Ebay.

• Options

1938 Varldens basta boxare card book w/ Joe Louis card inside.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    This was listed as a 1960s Mexican Joe Louis card. I've never seen it before. It has a blank back. I just got it from Ebay.

I'd love to see a better pic of that one whenever you get it in hand, the design seems familiar. As a Joe Louis fan, you might find this interesting: https://www.pga.com/pga-america/pga-feature/joe-louis-legendary-boxer-golf-diversity-advocate

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

I'd love to see a better pic of that one whenever you get it in hand, the design seems familiar. As a Joe Louis fan, you might find this interesting: https://www.pga.com/pga-america/pga-feature/joe-louis-legendary-boxer-golf-diversity-advocate

Yes, I will be very interested to see it up close as well. I'm curious about it myself. The pictures aren't really close enough to examine it thoroughly. That was a very interesting article about golf. I knew he enjoyed golf, but I never knew he was so passionate about it. Thanks for the link.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I would like to know if the checklist for that set is identical to the 1936 version of that set (that has the same appearance but with red text on front of the album instead of green) or if there are any differences? FWIW, the Joe Louis image is the same one I've seen in both albums.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

I would like to know if the checklist for that set is identical to the 1936 version of that set (that has the same appearance but with red text on front of the album instead of green) or if there are any differences? FWIW, the Joe Louis image is the same one I've seen in both albums.

There is a red text version on Ebay right now I think. I haven't received my album yet ( it's coming from Sweden), but I did notice that the Joe Louis card in the green text album appears to be larger than the card in the red text version on Ebay. I'm not sure if the checklist is the same or not.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

There is a red text version on Ebay right now I think. I haven't received my album yet ( it's coming from Sweden), but I did notice that the Joe Louis card in the green text album appears to be larger than the card in the red text version on Ebay. I'm not sure if the checklist is the same or not.

Yeah, I saw that one too. I already own a copy of the red text on front album, but I don't own a 1938 green one so will be curious to hear what you put together as a checklist by comparison once you receive yours!

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

Yeah, I saw that one too. I already own a copy of the red text on front album, but I don't own a 1938 green one so will be curious to hear what you put together as a checklist by comparison once you receive yours!

Yes, I will definitely check through it when it gets here. Meanwhile I will be trying to figure out who made this Joe Louis card. It was listed as a 1960s Mexican card. I asked the seller about it, but he couldn't tell me much.

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

As stated in the October pickups thread, I got married last month, so I've been on hiatus. Picked these up for my 48 leaf set. I'm closing in on completion!

• Options

Nice '48 Leafs. You have cajones of steel collecting that set in high grade these days.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Nice '48 Leafs. You have cajones of steel collecting that set in high grade these days.

Arthur

Lol.. def not solely doing high grade. My average grade for the set is a 5. The vast majority of my cards are a 5 or 6. A few 3s and 4s, and a few 7s or 8s. These were a nice deal. Around $80 for the pair.

• Options

AP Wire Photo of Joe Louis being measured for his display at a wax museum. This was just too cool to pass up. I LOVE wax museums.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2019 1:42AM

Rare WWII Tribune Poster Stamp album with Joe Louis stamp inside. The Joe Louis stamp is on the top right hand corner. Too cool to pass up.

• Options

Original authentic 1939 New York Daily News newspaper from after the famous Joe Louis vs Tony Galento fight. These original newspapers can be difficult to track down.

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

Working on the T218 set...

• Options
    edited November 26, 2019 7:56AM

I finally found the Joe Louis fight films coupon. It is the original coupon you mail in to get a copy of the his 8mm fight films reel. I've been looking for it for some time.

• Options

Another one down for the 48 leaf set.

• Options

1973 Wrestling program with Joe Louis on the cover. He was the special guest referee.

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I am not a boxing collector, but these were in a collection of old baseball exhibit cards (1947-66, I think) that I recently purchases.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Also, I remembered that I have this. About 10" X 15". Chicago Sun newspaper, 1942.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options

@judgebuck said:

Also, I remembered that I have this. About 10" X 15". Chicago Sun newspaper, 1942.

Very cool stuff! Thanks for giving us a look.🖒