Options

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 8:17PM

@ReggieCleveland said:

@doubledragon said:
    1940s Godfrey Phillips Sports Cigarettes Joe Louis. Impossible to track down in any condition. Got lucky.

Jason, can I get a scan of the back when you get a chance? Nice pickup!

Arthur

The set is 1948 Godfrey Phillips Ltd. - Sports Cigarettes - Sportsmen. The back is blank, and white. Cards from this set were available in either/both the 5 Sports and 10 Sports packs, but no confirmation for sure whether both 5 & 10 versions exist for each one in the set; or, if some were only in the 5's and some in the 10's. It is the thin paper that wrapped the package.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019 2:22AM

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@doubledragon said:
    1940s Godfrey Phillips Sports Cigarettes Joe Louis. Impossible to track down in any condition. Got lucky.

Arthur

The set is 1948 Godfrey Phillips Ltd. - Sports Cigarettes - Sportsmen. The back is blank, and white. Cards from this set were available in either/both the 5 Sports and 10 Sports packs, but no confirmation for sure whether both 5 & 10 versions exist for each one in the set; or, if some were only in the 5's and some in the 10's. It is the thin paper that wrapped the package.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure it out, but couldn't find any info on it. Where did you find that picture?

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure it out, but couldn't find any info on it. Where did you find that picture?

I scanned the one I own.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Air23GOAT said:

@Bear48 said:

A signed post card?! Awesome. What year is this? It doesn't say.

very generous 8

• Options

nevermind, i saw it was AUTO GRADE ...very deceiving lol

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@doubledragon said:

Arthur

Thanks!

Arthur

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:
    nevermind, i saw it was AUTO GRADE ...very deceiving lol

Zero deceit.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

1993 Ritchie and Co. Joe Louis. Finally got it.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2019 9:19AM

1940s Nannina Technicolor Joe Louis. Stumbled into this one by pure dumb luck. Got it from Italy pretty cheap. Budgets stink! Got lucky.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

good stuff, dd. love the ritchie -- i collected the golf sets for the longest time

oh, and if you are O-negative & require a blood transfusion and/or need a new kidney as a result of those acquisitions, don't hesitate to hit me up

• Options

That Nannina is tremendous! I don’t believe I’ve seen many (any?) hand cut issues from 70 years ago that present as nicely.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    That Nannina is tremendous! I don’t believe I’ve seen many (any?) hand cut issues from 70 years ago that present as nicely.

Yes, it is in great condition for it's age. The Nannina cards are hard to find in decent condition.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    good stuff, dd. love the ritchie -- i collected the golf sets for the longest time

oh, and if you are O-negative & require a blood transfusion and/or need a new kidney as a result of those acquisitions, don't hesitate to hit me up

I actually got some of these cards from a guy in England at a pretty decent price. I didn't get them all at once. I got a lot of them months ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting pics of them.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@galaxy27 said:

I actually got some of these cards from a guy in England at a pretty decent price. I didn't get them all at once. I got a lot of them months ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting pics of them.

i was referring to the inexorable wrath from your better half. but seeing as those transactions took place months ago and you're still alive, everything is copacetic.

i dig your J Lou passion

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

@galaxy27 said:

i was referring to the inexorable wrath from your better half. but seeing as those transactions took place months ago and you're still alive, everything is copacetic.

i dig your J Lou passion

Yes, Joe Louis is my hero/ idol. As far as my wife goes, I have managed to hide these purchases from her so far, but if she does find out, then I will be on Ebay's camping section ordering a tent to sleep in when she makes me move into the woods.

• Options

Of course, I have some health issues as well, so Doctor bills eat into my Joe Louis card fund, but I pick up what I can.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2019 12:19PM

@doubledragon said:
    1940s Nannina Technicolor Joe Louis. Stumbled into this one by pure dumb luck. Got it from Italy pretty cheap. Budgets stink! Got lucky.

By memory that looks a lot like the front of the 1947 Nannina - Campioni Dello Sport - Hand Cut - #11 Joe Louis, but I noticed on the completed sales page that the back side isn't numbered and the seller advertises it as 1950. Now I'm going to have to go digging for my 1947 Nannina to compare because it might be that the front sides are similar but not the same.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

By memory that looks a lot like the front of the 1947 Nannina - Campioni Dello Sport - Hand Cut - #11 Joe Louis, but I noticed on the completed sales page that the back side isn't numbered and the seller advertises it as 1950. Now I'm going to have to go digging for my 1947 Nannina to compare because it might be that the front sides are similar but not the same.

There is a copy of this nannina card on footballsoccercards.com that says it's a 1948 nannina tecnicolor. I really don't know what year it is! It's confusing!

• Options

Thanks for the links, I'm going to look these over pretty good.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2019 2:02PM

What is the story with the 1980s Phoenix boxing Joe Louis cards, and why are they so difficult to track down? They have given me fits. I have the 1990 phoenix boxing greats card, but the 1980s cards just never seem to pop up anywhere. Same story with the 1984 Victory Blend Joe Louis card, just next to impossible to find. It's quite discouraging, and very frustrating.

• Options

The Godfrey Joe Louis is from the 1949 set. They are very similar to the 1948 set, but the 1948 has 50 in it and includes footballers (soccer), while the next series released in 1949 has 25 of them and no soccer.

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.com/2019/08/godfrey-phillips-ltd-sports-cigarettes.html

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.com/2014/11/godfrey-phillips-ltd-sports-cigarettes.html

• Options

I didn't realize there were two sets that look so similar. Why are the 1980s phoenix legends joe louis cards so difficult to track down? I know there are about 3 or 4. A yellow, a blue, a side face and I think one more. Do you have any of them?

• Options

When I was working on Dempsey, the 1992 Priddy Antiques was the bastard of a set for me. I think there's at least 8 different variations and many of them simply NEVER came up for sale. I couldn't find sets for sale anywhere in England. I think, to this day, I only ended up with 2 of the variations. I'm fairly certain Louis is in that set, too.

Arthur

• Options

While all the masterminds are here, can anyone tell me what any of these are:

• Options

Yes, Louis is in the 1992 priddy antiques set, and there's also a 2000 priddy antiques set that features a Louis card. All of these sets are causing a serious headache. It's just difficult to locate them. I have the regular 1992 priddy antiques joe louis, and that's the only one I have found from all of the priddy antiques cards.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

If I had to guess, I'd assume the first one was Italian, maybe one of the sets from Cioccolato Zaini or Majestic Cioccolato, or something similar.

The second one is a relatively easy one compared with the others. It is from a Spanish 1921-22 set that is a mix of boxers and film stars. All the front side fonts are the same as the one on the Dempsey except one card in the set that features Charlie Chaplin w/ Georges Carpentier and that one has a slightly different font on front. The back sides were available with either of two options, either Chocolates Joaquin Lloveras Noms or Clinica Moderna.

3rd one I believe is a mid-1920's Spanish set as well but I'll have to do a little more digging to narrow it down.

I've seen the French one before that you have pictured 4th and I think I might be able to come up with it.

No idea on the last one.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

If I had to guess, I'd assume the first one was Italian, maybe one of the sets from Cioccolato Zaini or Majestic Cioccolato, or something similar.

The second one is a relatively easy one compared with the others. It is from a Spanish 1921-22 set that is a mix of boxers and film stars. All the front side fonts are the same as the one on the Dempsey except one card in the set that features Charlie Chaplin w/ Georges Carpentier and that one has a slightly different font on front. The back sides were available with either of two options, either Chocolates Joaquin Lloveras Noms or Clinica Moderna.

3rd one I believe is a mid-1920's Spanish set as well but I'll have to do a little more digging to narrow it down.

I've seen the French one before that you have pictured 4th and I think I might be able to come up with it.

No idea on the last one.

very nice
    any Al BRowns ?

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

No idea on the last one.

very nice
    any Al BRowns ?

I know that Panama Al Brown is not in the checklist for the Lloveras set. Not sure on the rest but I would assume no except possibly the last one.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2019 9:28AM

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Yes, Italian set from the 1920s but it's blank backed. Haven't found similar-looking nonsport front cards yet.

I knew about the JLM back but hadn't come across CM back, so that's new to me. I've got two new backs for you -- J Esteva Murcia and Comet. Do you have any scans of the film stars? I've come across dozens of the boxers but never a film star.

It's German, which is surprising. There aren't many German sets that are so rare that identifying them is a problem.

Truly bizarre. Stolen image from an extremely rare Goudey set for "Egyptian Cigarettes" sold in France.

No idea on the last one.

Me neiither.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Yes, Italian set from the 1920s but it's blank backed. Haven't found similar-looking nonsport front cards yet.

I knew about the JLM back but hadn't come across CM back, so that's new to me. I've got two new backs for you -- J Esteva Murcia and Comet. Do you have any scans of the film stars? I've come across dozens of the boxers but never a film star.

It's German, which is surprising. There aren't many German sets that are so rare that identifying them is a problem.

Truly bizarre. Stolen image from an extremely rare Goudey set for "Egyptian Cigarettes" sold in France.

No idea on the last one.

Me neiither.

Here is a link for the checklist for the Egyptian cigarettes one. I own a few from that set. I knew it looked familiar.

moviecard.com/misc_a-b/ath-toccos501.html#RTFToC1

For the 1925 Karmitri Zigaretten set, I have a couple others from that set too, but I don't have the full checklist.

For the 1921-22 Lloveras set, I have seen front and back scans of most of the cards, including several of the actors, but I did not save the scans. I can definitely attest to them having the same design on front and back as the boxers do.

I'll look into that German Reunion one. Haven't seen any of those personally. I suggest asking these guys:

csogb.co.uk/Reference/MfrsR/Reunion/Reunion.php

• Options

1948 Topps Magic Photos Hocus Focus Joe Louis. It can be difficult to find these in decent condition.

• Options

1967 Panini Joe Louis. These come with two different backs. There is a Campioni dello sport back version, and the Valida back version. This one is the Valida back version. The Valida back is the more rare of the two. It isn't in the best condition, but I can always upgrade later on.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    1967 Panini Joe Louis. These come with two different backs. There is a Campioni dello sport back version, and the Valida back version. This one is the Valida back version. The Valida back is the more rare of the two. It isn't in the best condition, but I can always upgrade later on.

Where's the jaw drop emoji? Congrats, those Validas are brutal to find.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

Where's the jaw drop emoji? Congrats, those Validas are brutal to find.

Yes, thanks. They are difficult to track down. As soon as I noticed this one, I pounced on it. I had been looking for it for a while, so I can mark it off the list. You have to have a lot of patience with Louis cards. A lot of his cards can take a long time to turn up. It can be very frustrating at times.

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

No idea on the last one.

Me neiither.

Here is a link for the checklist for the Egyptian cigarettes one. I own a few from that set. I knew it looked familiar.

moviecard.com/misc_a-b/ath-toccos501.html#RTFToC1

For the 1925 Karmitri Zigaretten set, I have a couple others from that set too, but I don't have the full checklist.

For the 1921-22 Lloveras set, I have seen front and back scans of most of the cards, including several of the actors, but I did not save the scans. I can definitely attest to them having the same design on front and back as the boxers do.

I'll look into that German Reunion one. Haven't seen any of those personally. I suggest asking these guys:

Koberich has the Reunion Cigaretten set listed as #21819-02 in his catalog. It doesn’t have a year, but is pre-1928.

The Karmitri set he has listed as #21112-7 and is from 1930.

He catalogs the European way....just catalogs the sets and doesn’t have set checklists.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2019 9:23AM

@doubledragon said:
    1948 Topps Magic Photos Hocus Focus Joe Louis. It can be difficult to find these in decent condition.

You can send your 1948 Magic Photos in to PSA for mech error correction. It should either specify "Card Number on Bottom" or "Card Number on Side". The ones with number on bottom are very significantly more rare than the ones with number on side. It is important to understand that the designation of bottom vs. side is relative to orientation. On Bottom means that the card number is printed in the same orientation as the rest of the text on the back. On Side means 90 degrees off of the rest of the text. Expect the sales value to be approximately 7 to 10 times as much for Bottom, compared with the common Side version.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

You can send your 1948 Magic Photos in to PSA for mech error correction. It should either specify "Card Number on Bottom" or "Card Number on Side". The ones with number on bottom are very significantly more rare than the ones with number on side. It is important to understand that the designation of bottom vs. side is relative to orientation. On Bottom means that the card number is printed in the same orientation as the rest of the text on the back. On Side means 90 degrees off of the rest of the text. Expect the sales value to be approximately 7 to 10 times as much for Bottom, compared with the common Side version.

I did not know about the different variations. Thanks for the info. I will definately look into it. I'm glad you told me, or I would never had known.

• Options

Why does this Ferma Inventos Joe Louis appear to be different from the one I am used to seeing? It has blue outline and a different back.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Why does this Ferma Inventos Joe Louis appear to be different from the one I am used to seeing? It has blue outline and a different back.

Not sure; not necessarily but more than likely someone "borrowed" the image to print an unlicensed repro set of some sort.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

Not sure; not necessarily but more than likely someone "borrowed" the image to print an unlicensed repro set of some sort.

That's kind of what I thought. The seller has it listed as a 1966 Ferma inventos. It just seems suspicious. Thanks for the input.

• Options

1991 Kayo Anaheim National Promo Joe Louis.

• Options

1991 All World Joe Louis with error Tommy Farr back.

• Options

Farr > Louis

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Farr > Louis

Yes, it is a very odd error card, I just couldn't pass it up. I haven't seen many error cards of Louis.

• Options

1946 Propagandas Montiel Joe Louis. Big thanks to 1951WheatiesPremium for reminding me about it being on Ebay. Also a big thanks to the seller for accepting my offer, because you certainly didn't have to.

• Options

I love Prop Montiels! Awesome card!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going through some boxes of collectibles in the back of the closet today, and came across these 21+ year old items. (The Ali has a 1997 copyright/1998 edition, the Louis has a 1995 copyright.) I'm not sure they've seen the light of day, or gotten any fresh air since then, but figured I'd take them out, maybe buy them a beer now that they're of age, and in recognition of @doubledragon and his passion for Joe Louis, snap a couple photos and post here. I hope you enjoy, and without further ado...

Ladies and gentlemen...

The Brown Bomber! Joe Louis!

And Muhammad Ali!

I believe I also have a Sugar Ray Leonard and a Rocky Marciano SLU somewhere, and perhaps a few other boxers.

Anyway, this is my first and very likely only contribution to the boxing thread.

• Options
    JudgeItoJudgeIto Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Just got these 2 back from PSA. Love adding Ali/Cassius Clay cards to my collection, and super stoked to have the Pacquiao in a 10!!

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I was going through some boxes of collectibles in the back of the closet today, and came across these 21+ year old items. (The Ali has a 1997 copyright/1998 edition, the Louis has a 1995 copyright.) I'm not sure they've seen the light of day, or gotten any fresh air since then, but figured I'd take them out, maybe buy them a beer now that they're of age, and in recognition of @doubledragon and his passion for Joe Louis, snap a couple photos and post here. I hope you enjoy, and without further ado...

Ladies and gentlemen...

The Brown Bomber! Joe Louis!

And Muhammad Ali!

I believe I also have a Sugar Ray Leonard and a Rocky Marciano SLU somewhere, and perhaps a few other boxers.

Anyway, this is my first and very likely only contribution to the boxing thread.

Ah yes, the famous starting lineup action figures. They're so cute. I don't see how you can resist taking them out, and playing with them.