Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally found the 1977 Dutch Sportscaster Joe Louis card with the profile of his face.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, I know how tough that is to find, and also how much you've been trying to find one!

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Congratulations, I know how tough that is to find, and also how much you've been trying to find one!

Yes, thank you, it is very hard to find. I actually picked it up on delcampe, which is a lot like Ebay. I think it's like a french version of Ebay.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I finally found the 1977 Dutch Sportscaster Joe Louis card with the profile of his face.

Congrats, that's a huge score! I'd love to see a back scan of that one when you get it in hand.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

Congrats, that's a huge score! I'd love to see a back scan of that one when you get it in hand.

Thanks. Yes, I will definately post a back scan when it arrives. It's coming from overseas, so it will probably be a few weeks. Joe has a long voyage ahead, but he's finally coming home. ;)

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody see this? 1966 Panini unopened pack. Ridiculous.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293363701095

Arthur

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

What am I missing about that pack listing? The high price or is the pack bad?

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

I'm still trying to find a mira tuttosport Joe Louis. That card has eluded me for so long. PSA has only graded one of them I believe. It is one of my white whales for sure. Some day mira tuttosport, some day.

• Options

@eagles33 said:

Is that high? I guess I'm not familiar with them. I had never seen one before. PSA hasn't graded one. I imagined it was pretty rare. Ali, Liston RC, Pele, all possibilities. Guess I need to bone up on my Panini packs.

Arthur

• Options
    edited December 6, 2019 7:54AM

@ReggieCleveland said:

@eagles33 said:

Is that high? I guess I'm not familiar with them. I had never seen one before. PSA hasn't graded one. I imagined it was pretty rare. Ali, Liston RC, Pele, all possibilities. Guess I need to bone up on my Panini packs.

Arthur

FWIW, I picked up a 69-70 pack for about $20 delivered from Italy, pulled a Bob Foster that graded an 8, but the rest of the pack was horribly OC. The late 60s-early 70s Panini packs don't seem to surface very often, but also don't typically sell for much when they do. I know another member here got a 73-74 quite reasonably too.

ETA: Oops, exaggerated a bit, just verified I paid $34 for it.

• Options
    Bullseye45Bullseye45 Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 10:49AM

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@eagles33 said:

Arthur

FWIW, I picked up a 69-70 pack for about $20 delivered from Italy, pulled a Bob Foster that graded an 8, but the rest of the pack was horribly OC. The late 60s-early 70s Panini packs don't seem to surface very often, but also don't typically sell for much when they do. I know another member here got a 73-74 quite reasonably too.

I would think there would be a big difference between a '66 pack and any other pack after it. It's Ali's first Panini card. There's much more '67 and '68 Panini cards available compared to '66 and the '69 set has little star power compared to the others (no Ali or Pele).

I admit, I never paid attention to the Panini pack market. I saw it and thought someone here might be interested in it.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@eagles33 said:

Arthur

I would think there would be a big difference between a '66 pack and any other pack after it. It's Ali's first Panini card. There's much more '67 and '68 Panini cards available compared to '66 and the '69 set has little star power compared to the others (no Ali or Pele).

I admit, I never paid attention to the Panini pack market. I saw it and thought someone here might be interested in it.

Arthur

Agreed, it should go for a good bit more, but I would guess more like half the asking based on the prices of others from the era. Still dirt cheap for a 60s pack, even at full price.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2019 12:10PM

The 1966 Panini set also has the earliest card I'm aware of for Mike Hailwood. Not sure if anyone here has any interest in Moto GP (or World SBK), but he's one of the legends within his sport.

Separate of that, I really do wonder when PSA will finally start distinguishing between the two coloration variants for the 1966 Panini Cassius Clay card, on the labels and in the population report? Seems like a necessary and overdue step to take in this instance.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

This pack is mine. I've had it about 8 years I'm guessing, but it just doesn't fit into my collection anymore as I"m pretty much just baseball.
    I'd never seen one before this and won it and haven't seen one since. I listed it for what I think is a fair price, and as it turns out there is another currently listed for about 20% more.
    There are some interesting possibilities in this set, Clay, Liston, Pele as well as Mike Hailwood. Given the packaging Panini used I would think any cards still in there would be pretty high grade.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

Well, that's literally about as good provenance as anyone can get for an unopened pack. For anyone that doesn't know, Anthony has one of the best unopened pack collections in the world -- I believe every Topps and Bowman pack, plus some packs from before that.

Arthur

• Options

I would list it for that much too. Didn’t mean to insult the price. I completely misinterpreted the post about it being ridiculous. Didn’t take it as being ridiculously awesome. The packs aren’t common. I used to have a couple but sold them a while ago. I tried to get PSA to slab them but they refused because the dimensions of the packet were too big for the pack slabs. I still think they can just use a tall boy slab since the packs are so thin. Anyways... very cool item.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

Yeah, I don't word good. Should've gone with something other than just "ridiculous." I meant it in a positive way.

Arthur

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2019 5:54AM

He boxed too?

Might be the only golf card in existence that you see a guy carrying his own bag.

And make it look that gud.

• Error Card
  • Options

Babe and Max

• Options

@artee said:
    He boxed too?

• Error Card

Yes, Max Schmeling boxed. As a matter of fact, he is one of the only people to beat Joe Louis in his prime, but Joe came back in the rematch and destroyed him in the first round with a vicious knockout.

• Options

And Rocky Marciano.

• Options

@artee said:
    And Rocky Marciano.

Yes, Rocky Marciano beat him as well. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

French card of Al Brown I picked up in Germany a few months back.

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:

I've started using the photo translator app by Evolly.

Has helped tremendously:

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

anyone have a German Sportscaster Panama Brown they wan t> @artee said:

@SumoMenkoMan said:

I've started using the photo translator app by Evolly.

Has helped tremendously:

I WILL USE THAT APP!!!
    How much did you pay for that card in Germany ?

• Options

'Tis the season to overextend yourself. If anyone is looking to make a boxing card purchase, hit me up. I'm more motivated to sell now than any other time in the year. Stupid presents. :)

Arthur

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@artee said:
    And Rocky Marciano.

Yes, Rocky Marciano beat him as well. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

Gotta love Coming to America 🥊💈✂️

• Options

I just won this bad boy. It's a 1948 Topps Magic Photo Joe Louis. It's a PSA 6. To the untrained eye, it looks normal, but if you look at the back of it, Bam! It's the rare variation with the number across the bottom. I never thought I would own this variation. Big thanks to Dpeck100 for letting me know about these auctions.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

i am trying to get most of the wrestling set with the variation back but only partially there.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    i am trying to get most of the wrestling set with the variation back but only partially there.

They can be very difficult to track down. I've been waiting for this card to pop up forever. I never thought it actually would! It's just a tough card to find. The normal variation with the number on the side is the only one I've ever seen. This is the first time I've ever seen it anywhere. I'm stoked!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

They can be very difficult to track down. I've been waiting for this card to pop up forever. I never thought it actually would! It's just a tough card to find. The normal variation with the number on the side is the only one I've ever seen. This is the first time I've ever seen it anywhere. I'm stoked!

Congrats on finding that super tough one! Send it back to PSA to get # on Bottom added to the label.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

Congrats on finding that super tough one! Send it back to PSA to get # on Bottom added to the label.

Thank you Greg! I've been looking for it for a while. I am definately going to send it to PSA. I noticed the pop report doesn't have any listed for # on the bottom for Joe Louis, so it's rather puzzling. We'll see if we can do something about that. ;)

• Options

I finally found the 2000 W.R. Priddy Antiques Joe Louis card. It is extremely difficult to find for a modern card. It is the yellow card on the right.

• Options

Both the 1992 and 2000 Priddy sets have a mind-numbing amount of color variations. I never came close to getting them all when I was collecting Dempsey. I'm going off memory (which, mine is notoriously poor) but I want to say there's at least 8 variations for each and maybe even more than that. It was just bananas and some NEVER came to market.

It was like they made them so rare so that they could sell them themselves when they felt demand had peaked. It as kind of rackety.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Both the 1992 and 2000 Priddy sets have a mind-numbing amount of color variations. I never came close to getting them all when I was collecting Dempsey. I'm going off memory (which, mine is notoriously poor) but I want to say there's at least 8 variations for each and maybe even more than that. It was just bananas and some NEVER came to market.

It was like they made them so rare so that they could sell them themselves when they felt demand had peaked. It as kind of rackety.

Arthur

Yes, it is very mind numbing. I've given up trying to find all of the different variations, I just keep a constant check on Ebay and other places and grab whatever I don't already have. I haven't been able to find any of the 1992 versions except the common base version, and this is the only version for the 2000 set that I've been able to find. The Priddy antiques cards are very confusing and it's pretty much impossible to find the different variations.

• Options

I haven’t seen this card come up for sale very often with the text on the back. It’s my favorite Ali card. I didn’t win it unfortunately. Was hoping It would go for less since it was only a psa 2. I thought it was actually the best looking of all of the Lampos that sold tonight. Strange that a seller would list them all at once
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Edizioni-Lampo-I-Grandi-Campioni-Boxing-Cassius-Clay-Muhammad-Ali-PSA-2/372904150610?hash=item56d2d1c652:g:4aoAAOSwGpBeE37B#vi__app-cvip-panel

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    I haven’t seen this card come up for sale very often with the text on the back. It’s my favorite Ali card. I didn’t win it unfortunately. Was hoping It would go for less since it was only a psa 2. I thought it was actually the best looking of all of the Lampos that sold tonight. Strange that a seller would list them all at once
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Edizioni-Lampo-I-Grandi-Campioni-Boxing-Cassius-Clay-Muhammad-Ali-PSA-2/372904150610?hash=item56d2d1c652:g:4aoAAOSwGpBeE37B#vi__app-cvip-panel

I noticed how many Ali Lampos that popped up also. It is very strange that this many were available all at once. It was practically raining Ali Lampos.

• Options

I’m surprised how much cheaper the edizioni version went compared to the regular version. Thought the eye appeal on the psa 2 was better than the other 3 too. The psa 5 and bgs 5.5 looked narrow to me. I regret not bidding more

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    I’m surprised how much cheaper the edizioni version went compared to the regular version. Thought the eye appeal on the psa 2 was better than the other 3 too. The psa 5 and bgs 5.5 looked narrow to me. I regret not bidding more

Yes, I noticed the eye appeal wasn't too good on a couple of them. I'm still schocked that they all came to auction at the same time. I don't think that will happen again for some time if ever. There's a Ali Lampo on Ebay right now that's a BGS 8.5 and it's a BIN for $19,999. I wouldn't mind having that.

• Options

I really regret not scooping up a edizione version years ago when I first tried tracking down this card. I remember seeing one come up for sale but I just bought a regular back one so didn’t bother buying another one. I didn’t realize how rare it was. Someone must be liquidating their collection or something. They still got some strong prices even listing so many at once

• Options

Being mostly a Joe Louis collector, I had no idea that there were two different versions of the Ali Lampo. Of course, I have always heard about the Ali Lampo and how mythical and desired it is, but I had no idea there were two versions. It is a beautiful card. I hope you find the other version someday.

• Options

People still waiting for a better conditioned example of this to surface.

Arthur

• Options
    edited January 14, 2020 12:50PM

This is the back variation. I don’t really know the details behind it. If it’s a winner like the valida panini backs etc

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    This is the back variation. I don’t really know the details behind it. If it’s a winner like the valida panini backs etc

That is awesome looking! It kind of reminds me of the regalo mira tuttosport back in regards to it's rarity.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

That Cassius Clay disc is awesome! I've never seen that before.

• Options

2018 Sport Kings mini hobby Joe Louis numbered to 50. This is a tough card to track down. I've been looking for it for over a year.

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I know it's not a boxing card.

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options

@KNAPP said:
    I know it's not a boxing card.

It's a very cool Joe Louis item to have! 🖒

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@nonpareil said:
    Vive La France

(Image)

Top Row: c1932 Krema (France) #22 Panama Al Brown, c1932 La Pie Qui Chante 3rd Series (France) Panama Al Brown
    Bottom Row: c1930's Magniez-Baussart (Chocolat) (France) Panama Al Brown, c1930's Chicoree Belle Jardiniere (France) Panama Al Brown (same card as earlier post)

Top Row: c1952 Felix Potin (France) Un Direct de Cerdan (Marcel)
    Middle Row: c1952 Felix Potin (France) Marcel Cerdan, c1952 Cantaloup Catala Perpignan Collection du Sport (France) Marcel Cerdan
    Bottom Row: c1940's-1950's Collection d'Actualities du Chocolat du Prado (France) Portrait de Cerdan (Marcel)*, c1950 Produits Cibon (France) #86 Marcel Cerdan

*I wish I could more accurately date the Prado Cerdan—don't worry, I'm working on it—as it might be one of his earliest cards.

psa should grade MAGNIEZ, any idea how to get them to grade these ?