Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    It's for a simple reason!
  • Of course its fast today ..... Who the hell is in a rush to buy it image

• << <i>For the life of me I cannot understand why people feel the need to post their order.image

Let the flames begin.image >>

Some of us like to get a feel for rate of sales on day one. Was of course a much bigger deal with Hot Springs. There are other mint products being sold on this day but it still gives a feel for rate. Expect Mount Hood to be much slower. The 2011's will roll out with much bigger spacing between issue dates. People need to catch their breaths.

• << <i> The 2011's will roll out with much bigger spacing between issue dates. People need to catch their breaths. >>

Don't think they won't put one per month out for the rest of the year?

Aug. Gettysburg
    Sept. Glacier
    Oct. Olympic
    Nov. Vicksburg
    Dec. Chickasaw

or

A super duper Xmas special: The 2011' P Set for $1395.95

• << <i>

<< <i> The 2011's will roll out with much bigger spacing between issue dates. People need to catch their breaths. >>

Don't think they won't put one per month out for the rest of the year?

Aug. Gettysburg
    Sept. Glacier
    Oct. Olympic
    Nov. Vicksburg
    Dec. Chickasaw

or

A super duper Xmas special: The 2011' P Set for $1395.95 >>

I think they will put them out every 6 or 7 weeks and go into 2012.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    A full seven months into 2011 and the final 2010 P puck is released with fanfare similar to the thud of a bowling ball hitting the floor.

Seems to me to be a program in disarray.

Who knows what and when will come next for the P pucks.

That there isn't pre-announced mintage numbers for 2011, lots of bally-hoo and trumpets blaring, bodes poorly for the long term survival of this series.

My .02.

• << <i>A full seven months into 2011 and the final 2010 P puck is released with fanfare similar to the thud of a bowling ball hitting the floor.

Seems to me to be a program in disarray.

Who knows what and when will come next for the P pucks.

That there isn't pre-announced mintage numbers for 2011, lots of bally-hoo and trumpets blaring, bodes poorly for the long term survival of this series.

My .02. >>

I think they don't have a clue what they will do. I do think it will take some time for Mt Hood to sell out. They will need to bring the 2011's on with a lower premium. ALthough people cobble up ASE proofs with huge premiums.

The p Pucks may have trouble going forward. Can't put the bullion pucks in the same boat. Love to stack em. Better buy than ase's for sure
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Looks like these have cooled off quite a bit, A HS PCGS SP 70 just sold on bids at $355.

Link

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like these have cooled off quite a bit, A HS PCGS SP 70 just sold on bids at $355.

Link >>

For having 9000+ feedback, he's not very bright about coins. Good for the bidder who snagged that one.

No PCGS or SP70 in the heading will kill ya.

• sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    MH in process but cancel box still available.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <-- in process as well. Can't wait to get this one and be done with these.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

My feelings exactly but I will continue to buy the bullion version in 69 DMPL.
  • newnotesnewnotes Posts: 65 ✭✭
    My cancel box is gone.

My two cents on these vs the bullion.

Doesn't it seem that after a few years the uncirculated commerative coins are worth more than the proof ones? And isn't that because of their lower mintage? That MAY happen here also. And I don't mind paying $285.00 for what I think is a good quality coin. Being that beauty is in the eye of the coin holder--if I'm satisfied with what the mint sends me then it's worth the money. If it's messed up I can always send it back. (I have, twice already). I don't have to pay for what someone else thinks. The bullions are sure purdy but I believe right from the get go of the 2011's that they are being picked over. I sure like looking at my three sets of 2010 bullion (I had seven sets) and I also like looking at the "P"'s.

Just hope I live long enough to complete the set. It's been fun so far.

<< <i>My cancel box is gone.

My two cents on these vs the bullion.

Doesn't it seem that after a few years the uncirculated commerative coins are worth more than the proof ones? And isn't that because of their lower mintage? That MAY happen here also. And I don't mind paying $285.00 for what I think is a good quality coin. Being that beauty is in the eye of the coin holder--if I'm satisfied with what the mint sends me then it's worth the money. If it's messed up I can always send it back. (I have, twice already). I don't have to pay for what someone else thinks. The bullions are sure purdy but I believe right from the get go of the 2011's that they are being picked over. I sure like looking at my three sets of 2010 bullion (I had seven sets) and I also like looking at the "P"'s.

Just hope I live long enough to complete the set. It's been fun so far. >>

My cancel box is also gone.

There are way to many variables to answer your question. There may be a smaller mintage of Unc coins but most making the 70 grade whereas there many a larger mintage of proof coins but a very small number making the 70 grade. Which 70 coin would you think would be worth more?
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My CC has been billed so I assume shipping and hopefully in hand Friday.
    theknowitalltroll;

My CC has also been hit so I am expecting delivery by Monday at the latest, maybe even Friday.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I've got a tracking # for the MH P puck, so I expect UPS to pick up tonight and deliver Fri morning assuming it's still next day delivery like before.

Both of mine show shipped also. Should have delivery tomorrow.

<< <i>Both of mine show shipped also. Should have delivery tomorrow. >>

Same here but the UPS tracking number doesn't work yet. In other words, they haven't picked it up yet.

That's normal, it will be going out tonight.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Folks-

Sorry for the laziness, I've lost track of this thread for a while. I just noticed the MCM add for the Light Strike GCs. I'm sure that this had been discussed in detail. That said, can someone in the know on these please let me know if the thought is that these are worth trying to acquire or not. Thanks :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    R---there hasn't been a ton of activity surrounding these light finishes. NGC is grading them as "light finish" and PCGS is on the bandwagon now with a "light satin" label. I've seen one "lighter" finish Grand Canyon in hand which I'm not sure would grade out as the variety or not.....however, there is a very noticable difference when compared to the heavily blasted ones.

I've seen the NGCs (no PCGS coins have hit the bay yet) go for $275-$1k on ebay depending on the grade. Hard to say the potential of these but the light finish in high grades appear to be winners. They don't excite me much though...the real exciting variety would be a DMPL P coin.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
    Hi PF-
    Thanks so much for the concise info. It is most appreciated. I'll pass on buying any. I'll have to check my coins though. Was any pattern noticed as to when they were sent out? Thanks!! R-
    I believe it depends on how the series does overall.

Personnally, I can't get excided about them. Now, give me a double die ATB 5oz'er or a no satin finish (DMPL) and I would get excided.
    Just FYI : I did get my tracking info logged in and verified at the UPS site
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi PF-
    Thanks so much for the concise info. It is most appreciated. I'll pass on buying any. I'll have to check my coins though. Was any pattern noticed as to when they were sent out? Thanks!! R- >>

Well I should have had the first graded light finish from our hosts but a mixup, coin got graded too early and when I receive tomorrow will send it back.. The first one that hits the bay should be a winner, and I notice the ones at mcm are now graded 68 and cheaper than the first 2 they sold for 900 each and they were 67. In hand you cannot help but notice the difference, and will see in the next couple weeks how many are out there. There are ones reported That have NO VB at All those have yet to be graded and will need there own title.Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    You guys may be interested in knowing that we (MCM) had a total of three light finish NGC coins graded SP70. Two sold within hours of an ad we sent out at $2499 and the third is on eBay now. We have no others graded 70 and no more being graded. We bought somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 coins total. Unfortunately while we did send some to PCGS it was well before the decision for them to recognize the variety. No doubt, we've sold some in both holders that should qualify that did not because of timing.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

John,

Didn't you already have them on eBay? It seems I was following them there for a bit.
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>John,

Didn't you already have them on eBay? It seems I was following them there for a bit. >>

Yes we had a few BINs when this was first announced, and I believe only one sold, it was an NGC SP67 at $999.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• << <i>You guys may be interested in knowing that we (MCM) had a total of three light finish NGC coins graded SP70. Two sold within hours of an ad we sent out at $2499 and the third is on eBay now. We have no others graded 70 and no more being graded. We bought somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 coins total. Unfortunately while we did send some to PCGS it was well before the decision for them to recognize the variety. No doubt, we've sold some in both holders that should qualify that did not because of timing.

John >>

Thank you, John for the update! It appears then that the SP70 Light Finish coins are extremely tough to get...no doubt hinging from the fact that there are no MS70s and the light finish covers less of the imperfections. It'll be interesting to see how the PCGS "light satin" coins do.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that the P pucks were processed in order of issue, it will be interesting to see if any of the Mt Hoods come with the "light" finish...

John will be one of the first to know as my 2 coins will be here this morning and off to MCM priority mail for him to view on Monday.

I was probably one of the one's to receive the light finish coins as I received mine in the early batch which contained the light finish. I do not

feel bad as I would not have even bought them except to flip them to John.
    I wish somebody was home at my place today - delivery attempt #1 that I missed.
    Call UPS and give them your tracking number and that a first attempt to deliver was made. See if you can get it from the UPS service center after work. I have done this several times. In fact, with the last puck, they called me and asked if I wanted it held for pickup after work.

I am hoping they do the same for this one.
    I did just receive the MH coin - Very nice!!!

I now have the full set of 5 for 2010 in OGP.
    No plans to grade though and all coins look 70.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    Got my first Mt Hood P. Expect the other in a few days. I have stopped buying after this one. Maybe the 2011s will be the lower mintage year. With silver around $40 an ounce I paid a $435.00 Premium for the 2010 P Set. Ouch.

• << <i>Got my first Mt Hood P. Expect the other in a few days. I have stopped buying after this one. Maybe the 2011s will be the lower mintage year. With silver around $40 an ounce I paid a $435.00 Premium for the 2010 P Set. Ouch. >>

Speaking of "ouch!"
  • Anyone know when 2011 starts to be sold ?

<< <i>John will be one of the first to know as my 2 coins will be here this morning and off to MCM priority mail for him to view on Monday.

I was probably one of the one's to receive the light finish coins as I received mine in the early batch which contained the light finish. I do not

feel bad as I would not have even bought them except to flip them to John. >>

I called to offer my MH to MCM before they went on sale and was told that they were not buying. What's up with that? Thanks, R
    MCM stated they were not setting the price until the morning they went on sale and would only accept sell offers after you had the Mint confirmation number. This was all explained on the Buy & Sale forum.
    UPS trying to get $4 to reschedule delivery 1 day???? They can take another failed attempt before I give them 4 bucks to save a stop.

<< <i>UPS trying to get $4 to reschedule delivery 1 day???? They can take another failed attempt before I give them 4 bucks to save a stop. >>

I called the UPS 800 number right after they attempted delivery Friday and told them I would like to pick it up after work at the service center. They said no problem and it was there at 5:00pm when I got over there. I don't think you can have them change where they deliver it, only the sender can do that. But they can hold it for you. You will just need to have a government issue ID with the delivery address on it to pick it up at the service center.
    They can attempt again on monday, I'll be home tuesday for the 'final' attempt.

<< <i>MCM stated they were not setting the price until the morning they went on sale and would only accept sell offers after you had the Mint confirmation number. This was all explained on the Buy & Sale forum. >>

I've sold to MCM many times before.

I didn't see any MCM BST ad the morning of the sale. In addition, I called MCM the morning that they went on sale as was very clearly told that they were not buying. I was clear in telling them that I was going to buy that day from The Mint and could call back or email back w/the order number, send sealed, etc. As mentioned, I've sold P pucks to them before. That's why I was surprised to hear that you sold to them. I would have happily done so - and indeed tried to do so - myself.
    It was made very clear right here:

MCM - Buy and Sale Thread

"Assuming the usual one per household, MCM will be buying a very LIMITED number of these, but not the same large quantities we have in the past. Our price will be less than usual due to what we see has lesser demand. We expect to FILL in less than one day because the BST represents only a tiny portion of people that buy mint products for us. We are paying $330 until 4:30pm ET, but won't accept confirms until you have a USM order number."

I even asked about the price a few days before the sale date.
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭
    Gettysburg is on the schedule for the Mint version.

9/22/2011

<< <i>Gettysburg is on the schedule for the Mint version.

9/22/2011 >>

No thanks. P's are done with this guy. No way I'd let them squeeze another 25oz at premium this year in the span of 2 months, plus the ASE set which will be crazy premium'd too I bet, forget it. The ASE set at probably what, $350 (70/oz) is about the last of what I can swallow from the mint this year.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stubbed my toe on a coin image
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

9/22/2011 >>

No thanks. P's are done with this guy. No way I'd let them squeeze another 25oz at premium this year in the span of 2 months, plus the ASE set which will be crazy premium'd too I bet, forget it. The ASE set at probably what, $350 (70/oz) is about the last of what I can swallow from the mint this year. >>

I don't feel appreciated by the Mint lately with their margins. I guess they think coin collectors can balance the budget for them.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

9/22/2011 >>

No thanks. P's are done with this guy. No way I'd let them squeeze another 25oz at premium this year in the span of 2 months, plus the ASE set which will be crazy premium'd too I bet, forget it. The ASE set at probably what, $350 (70/oz) is about the last of what I can swallow from the mint this year. >>

I don't feel appreciated by the Mint lately with their margins. I guess they think coin collectors can balance the budget for them.image >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file