Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    A little early with 1400 CPTHENWAY, eh?
    Paul
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A little early with 1400 CPTHENWAY, eh? >>

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How come post 1397 says 1400?...Is he selling at a profit...call the Lawyers!!!!! >>

Yep, and he"s a dealer too, an easy hangingimage---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

"Put her in the comfy chair..."

"NOT THE COMFY CHAIR!!!"

• << <i>“Your highness, when I said that you are like a stream of bat's piss, I only mean that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around it is dark” >>

I think that's coin related.....
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that thinks 33,000 of each state is a lot? I just do not see the rarity or even much scarcity in this bullion product. Also, there may be collector versions available too, and this is not just a one time release but will rollout for years. Sure, each park is unique, but still there will be probably around a million or two of these rounds eventually across all states. Silver is at record high too, just last year the bullion value would have been half. There is no collector base for this items (I am not sure if we can even call them coins). The regular issue State Quarters are already forgotten about by many, and these are an item that will always be out of the league of the general collecting public. It feels like a Franklin Mint release from the 70s and years from now people will have a box full of these and they will be worth melt.

So why the frenzy?
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Am I the only one that thinks 33,000 of each state is a lot? I just do not see the rarity or even much scarcity in this bullion product. Also, there may be collector versions available too, and this is not just a one time release but will rollout for years. Sure, each park is unique, but still there will be probably around a million or two of these rounds eventually across all states. Silver is at record high too, just last year the bullion value would have been half. There is no collector base for this items (I am not sure if we can even call them coins). The regular issue State Quarters are already forgotten about by many, and these is an item that will always be out of the league of the general collecting public. It feels like a Franklin Mint release from the 70s and years from now people will have a box full of these and they will be worth melt.>>

<<So why the frenzy? >>

You make several well thought out, logical points...and therefore, the price will likely quadruple immediately!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And I think Ampex should be given the go ahead to sell those first 1000 orders as is.

I think APMEX is going to have legal issues no matter what they do. >>

I would be surprised if APMEX keeps those first 1000 sales. Those sales were based on a purchase price of $1395. It's unfair to those people who didn't place an order because they didn't want to or were unable to spend that much money. I think APMEX has to do a complete reset, and I think it was stupid of them to send out that email saying they would honor the existing sales. They've pretty much put themselves into a bind. >>

Not really...that email was send out before the Mint made their most recent clstrfck decision.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<Am I the only one that thinks 33,000 of each state is a lot? I just do not see the rarity or even much scarcity in this bullion product. Also, there may be collector versions available too, and this is not just a one time release but will rollout for years. Sure, each park is unique, but still there will be probably around a million or two of these rounds eventually across all states. Silver is at record high too, just last year the bullion value would have been half. There is no collector base for this items (I am not sure if we can even call them coins). The regular issue State Quarters are already forgotten about by many, and these is an item that will always be out of the league of the general collecting public. It feels like a Franklin Mint release from the 70s and years from now people will have a box full of these and they will be worth melt.>>

<<So why the frenzy? >>

...and therefore, the price will likely quadruple immediately! >>

->1st year of issue and a unique collectible
    ->Melt Value + Small Markup = Low Downside Risk
    ->Buyer's (Dealers, Flippers, Collectors) will probably want to own more than one set.
    ->Limited Supply vs Demand Factor (There is just not enough to go around)
    ->Prices will skyrocket (quadruple is a safe bet I would assume, at least for the short term)
    ->May not strictly be a bullion status only coin due to rarity.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>And I think Ampex should be given the go ahead to sell those first 1000 orders as is.

I would be surprised if APMEX keeps those first 1000 sales. Those sales were based on a purchase price of $1395. It's unfair to those people who didn't place an order because they didn't want to or were unable to spend that much money. I think APMEX has to do a complete reset, and I think it was stupid of them to send out that email saying they would honor the existing sales. They've pretty much put themselves into a bind. >>

Not really...that email was send out before the Mint made their most recent clstrfck decision. >>

APMEX should not have made any commitments at that time since the situation was still fluid. They should have just said the Mint had suspended sales and we are keeping in close contact with them to determine how best to proceed.

I would not have put my nuts out there only to see them get squashed is all I'm saying.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Am I the only one that thinks 33,000 of each state is a lot? I just do not see the rarity or even much scarcity in this bullion product. Also, there may be collector versions available too, and this is not just a one time release but will rollout for years. Sure, each park is unique, but still there will be probably around a million or two of these rounds eventually across all states. Silver is at record high too, just last year the bullion value would have been half. There is no collector base for this items (I am not sure if we can even call them coins). The regular issue State Quarters are already forgotten about by many, and these are an item that will always be out of the league of the general collecting public. It feels like a Franklin Mint release from the 70s and years from now people will have a box full of these and they will be worth melt. So why the frenzy? >>

H.R. 6162 would change the design requirement from “exact duplicates” to “likenesses”, change the requirement for a 3.0 inch diameter to a diameter “no less than 2.5 inches and no greater than 3.0 inches”, and remove the requirement for incused edge lettering.

I think it may be in part due to the legislation passed that will allow for a change in the design from 3" to 2.5-3" and also that they will not have to "duplicate" the exact quarters design beginning in 2011, thus creating a 1 year type on design. Don't really know, just a guess.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If one per HH holds will the Mint be able to cross reference orders from the APs to see if you bought from more then one place?
    looking at their requirements its seems they want to audit to see who bought them.

I seriously doubt the AP's will be able to cross reference orders with other AP's. Definate Loophole For Buyers. >>

I don't think that it will make any deal. The HH limit is per AP. As long as the AP does thier best to follow the rule there is no penalty from the Mint to the AP. There is no law that says you can not order from two or more APs. The only potential violation here is Mint/AP agreement and whether the AP will get to continue as an AP. I do not think that this an issue they are going to look at.

I thought I read that there were 380?? buyers making up the 1000 orders. If this is so, there are 380 sets accounted for, not 1000.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Each hockey puck is its own unique design type, regardless of size or edge lettering. I can't get excited about these for reasons too numerous to regurgitate here! It's all Billy Flipper gettin' Joe Public all jazzed up to spend mega bucks on some Franklin Mint style junk bullion.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Am I the only one that thinks 33,000 of each state is a lot? I just do not see the rarity or even much scarcity in this bullion product. Also, there may be collector versions available too, and this is not just a one time release but will rollout for years. Sure, each park is unique, but still there will be probably around a million or two of these rounds eventually across all states. Silver is at record high too, just last year the bullion value would have been half. There is no collector base for this items (I am not sure if we can even call them coins). The regular issue State Quarters are already forgotten about by many, and these are an item that will always be out of the league of the general collecting public. It feels like a Franklin Mint release from the 70s and years from now people will have a box full of these and they will be worth melt. So why the frenzy? >>

H.R. 6162 would change the design requirement from “exact duplicates” to “likenesses”, change the requirement for a 3.0 inch diameter to a diameter “no less than 2.5 inches and no greater than 3.0 inches”, and remove the requirement for incused edge lettering.

I think it may be in part due to the legislation passed that will allow for a change in the design from 3" to 2.5-3" and also that they will not have to "duplicate" the exact quarters design beginning in 2011, thus creating a 1 year type on design. Don't really know, just a guess. >>

Thanks, I hear your points, but with 33k made now, and possible thousands more as collector versions, I just don't see how the heck there are enough collectors out there who will care about the potentially small differences between "Type 1" of the first year, vs other types of subsequent years. Each issue is it's own issue too in design, so whether it is Mt. Hood or Lowell National Historical Park in 2018, there will be plenty of these to go around. Plus for there to be much longstanding interest in the Lowell National Historical Park issue, it will likely need to come from those putting together a complete set. Once again, not an easy financial task for a broad collectors base. I am not poopooing the series, but I sure would not pay much of a premium over melt.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see an average of 200 posts per day in a thread about overpriced bullion in the U.S. Coin Forum. image
    +1

HE>I

• silverman68silverman68 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    APMEX has a market loss policy to protect itself. Can the buyers who sent them money also have the same policy? I would bet APMEX feels different when its reversed. I'm referring to the market price not the Mint's restricted selling price. $1390 from APMEX, current market of $2700? APMEX owes every buyer some bucks, just to be fair.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, put her in the comfy chair and then..........ha ha poke her with pillows!!!!!!!!!!
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are the new mint ATB rules:

1. Sales will begin only at 2 AM CST when the bars close in Oklahoma.
    2. Orders attempted from speed-dial phones will be handled by our call-center in Hyderabad.
    3. Only residential addresses allowed, no PO Boxes, offices, or correctional institutions.
    4. Household limit of one set will be verified by GPS locators.
    5. For delivery confirmation, all recipients will be DNA swabbed.
    6. The IRS is enclosing windfall profits tax withholding forms, required whether or not you or your heirs are flipping.
    7. Over-limit fees on your credit card will be doubled for sharing with the mint.
    8. For an extra 25% charge we deem reasonable, your coins will be handled with clean white cotton gloves.
    9. TPG graders are standing by, with walk-through rates determined by the grade you desire.
    10. Anyone complaining about any of these ATB rules in on-line forums will be banned, and then also blocked from all future mint transactions.

ATB = Absurd Two Bits >>

Darn it, but after previously posting the new mint rules, silly me, I forgot to turn the page over,
    and just discovered there were 10 more rules on the other side:

11. Flips of these are strictly prohibited except for the pre-game toss at sporting events.
    12. To prevent them from rattling inside their shipping tins, the ATBs shall be packed in popcorn.
    13. Returns of defective ATBs will be cheerfully refunded minus a restocking fee of 144%.
    14. Bonafide students who are cutting class can personally pick up their orders of hookey pox.
    15. Sooners get theirs earliest.
    16. Anyone who still persists in calling Apmex Ampex gets their order moved back to the end of the queue.
    17. ATBs that grade MS70 are suspected foreign forgeries, and will be counterstamped with chopmarks.
    18. Colorized versions of ATBs are subject to confiscation by ATF agents.
    19. Cash purchases of ATBs will be permitted only with banknotes from specially authorized ATMs.
    20. Dummy purchasers will be forced to also buy all forthcoming ATBs, total 112 including both unc and bullion strikes,
    regardless of silver spot increases up to 2021.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>APMEX has a market loss policy to protect itself. Can the buyers who sent them money also have the same policy? I would bet APMEX feels different when its reversed. I'm referring to the market price not the Mint's restricted selling price. $1390 from APMEX, current market of $2700? APMEX owes every buyer some bucks, just to be fair. >>

unlike its market loss policy, APMEX keeps "market profits" per their cancellation policy.

not commenting about the policy.

just stating it.

usually the experienced and wise web sites have a policy in their terms and conditions that let's them out of pricing errors and other things beyond their control.

in essence the mint's new policy is their "force majeure."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

2. Orders attempted from speed-dial phones will be handled by our call-center in Hyderabad.
    3. Only residential addresses allowed, no PO Boxes, offices, or correctional institutions.
    6. The IRS is enclosing windfall profits tax withholding forms, required whether or not you or your heirs are flipping.
    7. Over-limit fees on your credit card will be doubled for sharing with the mint.
    8. For an extra 25% charge we deem reasonable, your coins will be handled with clean white cotton gloves.
    9. TPG graders are standing by, with walk-through rates determined by the grade you desire.
    10. Anyone complaining about any of these ATB rules in on-line forums will be banned, and then also blocked from all future mint transactions.

ATB = Absurd Two Bits >>

Darn it, but after previously posting the new mint rules, silly me, I forgot to turn the page over,

11. Flips of these are strictly prohibited except for the pre-game toss at sporting events.
    12. To prevent them from rattling inside their shipping tins, the ATBs shall be packed in popcorn.
    13. Returns of defective ATBs will be cheerfully refunded minus a restocking fee of 144%.
    14. Bonafide students who are cutting class can personally pick up their orders of hookey pox.
    16. Anyone who still persists in calling Apmex Ampex gets their order moved back to the end of the queue.
    17. ATBs that grade MS70 are suspected foreign forgeries, and will be counterstamped with chopmarks.
    19. Cash purchases of ATBs will be permitted only with banknotes from specially authorized ATMs.
    20. Dummy purchasers will be forced to also buy all forthcoming ATBs, total 112 including both unc and bullion strikes,
    regardless of silver spot increases up to 2021. >>

THIS JUST IN.......

APMEX ORDERS 15,000 MORTIMER SNERD DOLLS FOR UNSPECIFIED PURPOSE!!!

FILM AT ELEVEN!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>THIS JUST IN....... APMEX ORDERS 15,000 MORTIMER SNERD DOLLS FOR UNSPECIFIED PURPOSE!!! FILM AT ELEVEN!!!!!! >>

Capt. always enjoy your humor!

<< <i>

<< <i>APMEX has a market loss policy to protect itself. Can the buyers who sent them money also have the same policy? I would bet APMEX feels different when its reversed. I'm referring to the market price not the Mint's restricted selling price. $1390 from APMEX, current market of $2700? APMEX owes every buyer some bucks, just to be fair. >>

unlike its market loss policy, APMEX keeps "market profits" per their cancellation policy.

not commenting about the policy.

just stating it.

usually the experienced and wise web sites have a policy in their terms and conditions that let's them out of pricing errors and other things beyond their control.

in essence the mint's new policy is their "force majeure." >>

I will be quite interested to see if Apmex delivers me one of the two sets I ordered and refunds the difference between the old price and the new price, as well as simply refending the second set.

Won't kill me if they don't, but it will make me think more kindly of them if they do.

Didn't I see somewhere in here that the 1,000 sets sold only representat about 420 individual customers? As I see it they are only obligated to fill one set per customer, thereby freeing up the other 500+ sets.

TD
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the Mint could subcontract production of these to China. Distribution in the US would be a snap.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the Mint could subcontract production of these to China. Distribution in the US would be a snap. >>

And that way we would have 66,000 of each. (with 33,000 stamped copy-at least on the photo) image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • I need at least one for my golf ball marker. I figure it will impress everyone and I will pick up an inch or so closer to the hole by creative ball marking. himage
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? I thought Apmex just owed the buyers a refund and 100% of their funds back. Wonder which of us is right? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the Mint could subcontract production of these to China. Distribution in the US would be a snap. >>

Don't give Carr anymore ideas...I am sure he would try to find a way to rationalize his doing it....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Provident posted this on their site....

The phone has been ringing off the hook this week – everyone wants to know if they can get their hands on the much anticipated 2010 America the Beautiful coin set announced by the US Mint. We have heard your excitement about the new bullion coin set and so we wanted to give everybody an update on the status of the set.

As many of you know, the US Mint halted the shipment of the America the Beautiful coin sets after observing the crazed pre-sale frenzy that happened last weekend. Today the US Mint has released new guidelines for the distribution of these coins. US Mint Authorized Purchasers have been instructed to sell these coins to the public with a strict limit of 1 set per household. Authorized Purchasers have also been given strict pricing parameters to adhere to. We hope to be able to offer these coins soon and we are currently working with our suppliers that are Authorized Purchasers to secure any quantity possible of the ATB sets.

We hope to have another update for you in the first half of next week.

Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i> Really? I thought Apmex just owed the buyers a refund and 100% of their funds back. Wonder which of us is right? >>

I do think that's the way it will fly....orders canceled...get in line to reorder

<< <i>

Don't give Carr anymore ideas...I am sure he would try to find a way to rationalize his doing it.... >>

I doubt his old press could do 3" pucks. He'd be breaking hydraulic lines all over the place.
    Wow, really strong enforcement restrictions by the Mint:

"The right to examine and audit all of the Authorized Purchaser’s books, records, documents, and other data to ensure that they have complied with the terms and conditions herein."

-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    That could be a deal breaker
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
    Yep,

Here is where I got it from:

Text
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the My Account page at APMEX, the notation is that the order is waiting to ship, and anticipates shipping 12/14.
    Look at the comments section in the text above, there is a guy gunning to report them alreadyimageimage

Could some disgruntled customer just put them through an audit for the heck of it?

This is getting just too strange to deal with-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    my estimated ship date was yesterday

<< <i>Yep,

Here is where I got it from:

Text >>

I love this remark:

"The authorization bill for this coin is so flawed that it must have originated in the US congress."
  • ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

ATB = Absurd Two Bits >>

regardless of silver spot increases up to 2021. >>

THIS JUST IN.......

APMEX ORDERS 15,000 MORTIMER SNERD DOLLS FOR UNSPECIFIED PURPOSE!!!

FILM AT ELEVEN!!!!!! >>

imageimage too too funny thanks for the many chuckles image
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    It's 4 am (eastern time). Do you know where your Apmex rant is?
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    what surprises me the most is the lack of coordination within these big outfits to post how & when they will be selling these.

comments like "the phone is ringing off the hook" and 'we dont know anything" when it takes a novice sitting in front of a pc with basic search skills about 10 seconds to get up to date news.

let's make sure whereever we obtain these coins, if the experience is good with no hassles, we post those comments to make sure they get more business.
  • Imagine what would happen if APMEX reduced all previously placed orders to one set per person and just shipped that set at the pre-mint-decree price of $1395....

That would NOT be a very popular move....

Just sayin'.........

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    couldnt care less but cant see such a huge thread escaping without my posting on it.

<< <i>Imagine what would happen if APMEX reduced all previously placed orders to one set per person and just shipped that set at the pre-mint-decree price of $1395....

Just sayin'......... >>

I'll let you know how that plays out, since I ordered 2 sets from them & my cc has already been debited for the 2 sets.

• << <i>Imagine what would happen if APMEX reduced all previously placed orders to one set per person and just shipped that set at the pre-mint-decree price of $1395....

Just sayin'......... >>

They would be brazenly violating their primary dealer agreement with the mint if they did that...not a smart or likely move on their part.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    what surprises me the most is the lack of coordination within these big outfits to post how & when they will be selling these. comments like "the phone is ringing off the hook" and 'we dont know anything" when it takes a novice sitting in front of a pc with basic search skills about 10 seconds to get up to date news. let's make sure whereever we obtain these coins, if the experience is good with no hassles, we post those comments to make sure they get more business.

The distributors are wholesalers – they are not structured to handle hundreds of customers, each buying a small number of items. Making retail sales to collectors is completely outside their business plans. With the tiny volume of the 5-oz bullion pieces, some distributors might forego their allotment due to the added expense.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    And if they go primarily into the National Park Service, their store merchandise is normally marked up pretty high.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

<< <i>And if they go primarily into the National Park Service, their store merchandise is normally marked up pretty high. >>

Oh no. More angry calls.image
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any one here ever do business with Coins n Things? (it was mentioned they are one of the distributors, and are going to set up a toll free number for the hockey pucks).

Tried looking up some info on them... looks like a private enterprise with a small retail store. Interesting.... I always figured all distributors were huge outfits.

If Coins n Things handles these, like it sounds like they may be, they may gain many many customers and be moving up in the ranks as a result. Perhaps some competition with Apmex? I for one have interest in giving them some business...

I was not able to connect to a web site for Coins n Things however... kept getting a message about a server proxy, etc. and a blank page, whatever that means.
    ----- kj
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem with their web site.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any one here ever do business with Coins n Things? (it was mentioned they are one of the distributors, and are going to set up a toll free number for the hockey pucks).

Tried looking up some info on them... looks like a private enterprise with a small retail store. Interesting.... I always figured all distributors were huge outfits.

If Coins n Things handles these, like it sounds like they may be, they may gain many many customers and be moving up in the ranks as a result. Perhaps some competition with Apmex? I for one have interest in giving them some business...

I was not able to connect to a web site for Coins n Things however... kept getting a message about a server proxy, etc. and a blank page, whatever that means. >>

Store I do not think is ever opened for retail. Pickups maybe. It is in Bridgewater. His eBay name is louoliari.
    Bought some stuff from him on eBay, A+++

Joe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file