Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I just figured there is no point in sharing if 100's of people call and start bothering these places, >>

Soooooo you WANT 100's of people to call these places to find out if they WILL have the pucks. If you let everyone know who the sellers are there will be NO calls to these dealers until they are available....what would be the point??? >>

No i just say relax, lets start with monaco how did we all find out? coinsponge posted, ampex was next thks to whoever posted that one, than came provident. i am positive if i find ANYONE selling these for the 1000 and under i will post as other members have posted. Its not a secret and i think they will all be posted here as soon as anyone see's them. image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • I find it strange that you said you found a couple of sellers on that "list of dealers".....which means they are not on the list of 11 AP's that the Mint said would have dibs on an allocation of 3000 sets.

Soooo how are these, as the Mint puts it, non-official dealers getting an allotment from the Mint....

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seems the mint is favoring Apmex if they are the only ones who can handle the one per item rule. Does that make Apmex a monopoly on these out of default, since the other APs may not be able to handle single orders? Seems like the mint might be opening another can of worms. >>

Apmex will NOT be handling all of these!! I have confirmation of at least 2 others just waiting on the Mint to release them. >>

Who are they? Most that I call don't deal with the public. Amazing that the legislation mandates that firms that don't deal with the public sell these...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

• << <i>I think the mint should tell all of the distributors that the mint will be selling the coins to them for $2500 a set and that they are not allowed to sell for more than 10% over that price. Since the distributors have many pre sale orders for $1300 to $1500, they would take a beating on those sales, and would be a good lesson: 1, not to gouge the public and two, not sell items you don't currently posses. imageIt seems we just lambasted a member for selling silver he didn't have. >>

I highly doubt Apmex spent the money on something else.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> I just figured there is no point in sharing if 100's of people call and start bothering these places, >>

Soooooo you WANT 100's of people to call these places to find out if they WILL have the pucks. If you let everyone know who the sellers are there will be NO calls to these dealers until they are available....what would be the point??? >>

No i just say relax, lets start with monaco how did we all find out? coinsponge posted, ampex was next thks to whoever posted that one, than came provident. i am positive if i find ANYONE selling these for the 1000 and under i will post as other members have posted. Its not a secret and i think they will all be posted here as soon as anyone see's them. image >>

It's not a secret, but you won't post (like all the rest of us do on the forum to help each other out). Good lord.

• << <i>I find it strange that you said you found a couple of sellers on that "list of dealers".....which means they are not on the list of 11 AP's that the Mint said would have dibs on an allocation of 3000 sets.

Soooo how are these, as the Mint puts it, non-official dealers getting an allotment from the Mint.... >>

I thought the same thing, I am guessing he got ahold of a couple companies who claimed they will have some to get his business - but plan on getting them from the APs themselves.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>Amazing that the legislation mandates that firms that don't deal with the public sell these... >>

The law was intended for bullion sale from the Mint to AP's to dealers.... not limited edition pucks. The Mint just thought these would sell as the ASE's do.....

They act as a surrogate Mint and saves the Mint the distribution grief for those millions of bullion coins every year. This is an anomaly
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    APMEX will release a statement next week. Just called to ask them.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

• << <i> I thought the same thing, I am guessing he got ahold of a couple companies who claimed they will have some to get his business - but plan on getting them from the APs themselves. >>

Exactly!

and:

<< <i> It's not a secret, but you won't post (like all the rest of us do on the forum to help each other out). Good lord. >>

He did post the two names...

<< <i>I find it strange that you said you found a couple of sellers on that "list of dealers".....which means they are not on the list of 11 AP's that the Mint said would have dibs on an allocation of 3000 sets.

Soooo how are these, as the Mint puts it, non-official dealers getting an allotment from the Mint.... >>

I have been asking this same thing since monaco sold the first 500, others have kept talking about these top 11 my only guess is that there were deals made to these other dealers. Or the mint is selling these to those other dealers. These are all NATIONAL dealers i have contacted........image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

<< <i>

<< <i> I thought the same thing, I am guessing he got ahold of a couple companies who claimed they will have some to get his business - but plan on getting them from the APs themselves. >>

Exactly!

and:

<< <i> It's not a secret, but you won't post (like all the rest of us do on the forum to help each other out). Good lord. >>

He did post the two names... >>

The only ones that I've seen are APMEX and Monoco (and one other that was linked to by someone else who's name excapes me). I did not see the names of the dealers that he says he won't identify. If he posted them and I missed it I am sorry.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE NAMES OF DEALERS WHO ARE CURRENTLY TAKING PRE-ORDERS? Thanks
  • Do you really think a dealer would start a pre-sale????

That went so well the last time....image

edited to add: he mentioned Provident also in his post
    It's not a secret, but you won't post (like all the rest of us do on the forum to help each other out). Good lord.
    Hmmm need another one Manfra, Tordella, & Brookes, Inc.
    sorry they don't have a website............. what amazes me is that IF you just want one set why the panic about all these others? I have spent the last week going thru all of these i have been watching there websites hourly and yes i plan on sharing when and IF they actually start selling. Now you have the 2 i had feel better? imageclick on me hourly lol also talked to coast to coast coin and was told they still do not know if or when and to call back next week.....

Link to My Registry Set.

• These won't sell on the bay. Why? because I'm knocking the knees out of the scalpers and reporting the fraud to the bay.
    Tired of the one way BS to the dealer scalpers that goes on in this hobby.

Anyone of these listed on the bay over $200 (25% profit) will get a report from me. Watch the listings disappear. Watch the price drop. No place to sell, no profit.

"This is in violation of US Mint resale agreements and violates federal law. These should be < $200 each"

Join the march!!!

Happy New Year!!!

• << <i>These won't sell on the bay. Why? because I'm knocking the knees out of the scalpers and reporting the fraud to the bay.

Anyone of these listed on the bay over $200 (25% profit) will get a report from me. Watch the listings disappear. Watch the price drop. No place to sell, no profit.

"This is in violation of US Mint resale agreements and violates federal law. These should be < $200 each"

Join the march!!!

Happy New Year!!! >>

LOL
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    The AP's that will sell to the public are only taking names and numbers it appears at this time. They dont want to promise anything until their orders are CONFIRMED by the Mint, not just RECEIVED like last time. I kind of think many sets will be promised to previous customers, relatives, etc by Monday. IMHO, this program is going to do nothing to make these coins more available to the average collector-----------------------------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These won't sell on the bay. Why? because I'm knocking the knees out of the scalpers and reporting the fraud to the bay.

Join the march!!!

Happy New Year!!! >>

Sorry to disappoint your crusade...but that law only applies to the AP's & not the secondary market. You are spitting in the wind by reporting them ... they will self destruct anyway, because they no longer have the pucks guaranteed to be in hand.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The US Mint has released new guidelines for the distribution of these coins. US Mint Authorized Purchasers have been instructed to sell these coins to the public with a strict limit of 1 set per household. Authorized Purchasers have also been given strict pricing parameters to adhere to. We hope to be able to offer these coins soon and we are currently working with our suppliers that are Authorized Purchasers to secure any quantity possible of the ATB sets. More news is to come shortly. >>

The above is cut and pasted from Provident's website updated minutes ago. There seems to be a little bit of uncertainty in their wording as to how many they may be able to acquire from the APs. Leads me to believe that the APs haven't fully determined their game plan yet...
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Which APs ususlly do deal with the public, other than APMEX? >>

Wow! Interesting question since APMEX has only been an AP since June of this year.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>

<< <i>These won't sell on the bay. Why? because I'm knocking the knees out of the scalpers and reporting the fraud to the bay.

Join the march!!!

Happy New Year!!! >>

Sorry to disappoint your crusade...but that law only applies to the AP's & not the secondary market. You are spitting in the wind by reporting them ... they will self destruct anyway, because they no longer have the pucks guaranteed to be in hand. >>

That's what I told him in his other post (another thread)

What the Ebay Auxiliary Police Member neglected to tell you was that there are only 2 sellers on Ebay each selling one set (seperate coins). Not reportable since they will most likely get one set each to fulfill the sale.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a subject area that does not seem to have been discussed since the undigested organic material hit the rotary air circulating device this afternoon:
    How are these pieces going to be packed for shipping by APMEX and whomever else decides to buy them from the Mint to sell in sets of five? These coins are already packaged in ten-coin tubes solid by design. Somebody at each AP is going to have to take one coin each out of five different tubes and wrap them in something to ship.

NOBODY EXCEPT APMEX ANTICIPATED HAVING TO DO THIS! The other AP's probably do not have 15,000 3-1/2 inch unplasticized flips sitting around in their shipping areas to put them in. I don't even know what APMEX plans to ship their in. I was going to buy one set from them, and then decided to get two because they said that they would ship ten coins in an original mint tube, and I wanted the protection of the tube.

I hope to get one of the sets I ordered from APMEX, and can't wait to see how they are packaged. Maybe I will get one of the original mint tubes, half full with the five different coins, with some wadded-up kleenex-type tissues in the top of the tube.

TD >>

Sorry for quoting myself, but I still want to know how these are going to be packaged?

Can we safely assume that MS-70's are going to be a tad scarce on these??????????

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Regarding the question of dealers getting the pucks next week.....

Did anyone read the post by Ms. Morrisine earlier that had all the new rules for distribution sent out by the Mint????

Show me HOW dealers will get ANY coins other than through the AP's at a one per household limit...

FYI (again):

<< <i>Because of the limited number of available coins, the United States Mint will offer the coins on an allocation basis, divided equally among the 11 active silver bullion coin Authorized Purchasers. There are a total of 33,000 coins available for each of the five 2010 designs; therefore the United States Mint will allocate to each such Authorized Purchaser 3,000 coins of each design, for an overall total of 15,000 coins. This quantity represents all of the 2010 America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins that will be offered. Authorized Purchasers have until 3:00pm Friday, December 17, 2010, to place their orders. Should any of the active silver bullion coin Authorized Purchasers decline to order any or all of these coins from the United States Mint, the United States Mint will make the excess coins available, on a comparable allocation basis, to those active silver bullion coin Authorized Purchasers that accept the terms and conditions herein, on Monday, December 20, 2010. >>

edited to add: that was excerpted a memo dated yesterday from the Mint to the 11 AP's
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    boucharda -

you are correct.

i also asked the question that if most AP's dont deal with the public directly - are they going to be bothered by offering this to the public? or is AMPEX the only "retail" customer distributor?

i know ive done business with The Gold Center before...........but I dont know about the others.

MTB - you used to be able to walk up to their window in Rock Ctr in NYC and purchase bullion, dont know anymore.....
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I called the gold center and they said they would not be selling them
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Regarding the question of dealers getting the pucks next week.....

Did anyone read the post by Ms. Morrisine earlier that had all the new rules for distribution sent out by the Mint????

Show me HOW dealers will get ANY coins other than through the AP's at a one per household limit...

FYI (again):

<< <i>Because of the limited number of available coins, the United States Mint will offer the coins on an allocation basis, divided equally among the 11 active silver bullion coin Authorized Purchasers. There are a total of 33,000 coins available for each of the five 2010 designs; therefore the United States Mint will allocate to each such Authorized Purchaser 3,000 coins of each design, for an overall total of 15,000 coins. This quantity represents all of the 2010 America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins that will be offered. Authorized Purchasers have until 3:00pm Friday, December 17, 2010, to place their orders. Should any of the active silver bullion coin Authorized Purchasers decline to order any or all of these coins from the United States Mint, the United States Mint will make the excess coins available, on a comparable allocation basis, to those active silver bullion coin Authorized Purchasers that accept the terms and conditions herein, on Monday, December 20, 2010. >>

edited to add: that was excerpted a memo dated yesterday from the Mint to the 11 AP's >>

I just don't know how the Mint is going to enforce any hh limit. It only applies to the AP's and the only thing I can see is the AP's passing on the one per hh mandate to dealers but it is out of their hands after that. Did the Mint think this stuff out or do they think the AP's will police all of their dealer customers? Good luck.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    interesting. that was what i heard from them last week - then they said they were getting them and they were all sold.

then this whole deal changed.

interesting.

this is why the USM should have offered them only thru AP's who could offer them to retail customers at the 10% markuop/1 per HH. Most of the AP's are wholesalers, and deal with large clients. I cant see them wanting to get involved with a 1 per HH, capped upside profit deal.

or just offer them direct......direct.....

<< <i>interesting. that was what i heard from them last week - then they said they were getting them and they were all sold.

then this whole deal changed.

interesting.

this is why the USM should have offered them only thru AP's who could offer them to retail customers at the 10% markuop/1 per HH. Most of the AP's are wholesalers, and deal with large clients. I cant see them wanting to get involved with a 1 per HH, capped upside profit deal.

or just offer them direct......direct..... >>

That would leave only Apmex. Right? Now that would be a fiasco.

• << <i> That would leave only Apmex. Right? Now that would be a fiasco. >>

Yup...that's what I said about two pages ago....and they only get 3000 until the 20th....then the rest are divided among the other selling AP's (none). If they were smart... AND no other AP's wanted to sell them.. they should allocate the whole bunch to APMEX and let them deal with quotas etc....easier to control with one seller

Regarding packaging....I think they will just put the five pucks together, wrap a few elastics around them and bubble wrap the bunch.

After all...they're just bullion...not the collector's version image
    this is gonna be a fiasco. looks like AP's have until next Friday to annouce their intent to buy their allocation, if not, they go to the others pro-rata?

this is amazing. no one wants to take a 10% profit on these numbers.

i think i know 100's of websites slinging $1 products that would be happy to handle the distribution.

i guess roughly 250,000 profit on their initial allocation is not sufficient.

anyone up to taking phone orders for 3,000 sets MANUALLY and shipping, etc for a cool $250,000..........
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I called one today and no orders until they get the coins in their vault in a week. Which leads me to a problem, the mint should not have limited the dealers to 3000 set orders, they should have asked what is the maximum you want knowing it may only be 3000. That way all 33,000 go out to those going to sell.

The way it is now there is the feeding frenzy over this first release, then the waiting for second orders, then the feeding frenzy on whatever is left.

There could be only 9000 out to start with and 3 dealers, I can't call the German guys though so maybe they get some for Germany.

Anyway I wish the mint had made it so all coins go out at once.
    who did you call so we dont annoy them with many calls....

not like you can get an upper hand on buying your 1 set by not telling us..... image

then we can list the names of who will and who wont be involved.

<< <i>this is gonna be a fiasco. looks like AP's have until next Friday to annouce their intent to buy their allocation, if not, they go to the others pro-rata?

this is amazing. no one wants to take a 10% profit on these numbers.

i think i know 100's of websites slinging $1 products that would be happy to handle the distribution.

i guess roughly 250,000 profit on their initial allocation is not sufficient.

anyone up to taking phone orders for 3,000 sets MANUALLY and shipping, etc for a cool $250,000.......... >>

All the AP's may farm these out to the smaller operations. Apmex may just fill their original orders and be done with it.

• << <i>
    I just don't know how the Mint is going to enforce any hh limit. It only applies to the AP's and the only thing I can see is the AP's passing on the one per hh mandate to dealers but it is out of their hands after that. Did the Mint think this stuff out or do they think the AP's will police all of their dealer customers? Good luck. >>

Why do some of you keep mentioning dealers? They've effectively been locked out of this thing. The coins are all going to the public.

The Mint can only force the APs to follow the one per household limit, and only by threatening to inspect their books. But that should be good enough to keep the APs in line because violating the one per household limit, or any of the other terms, could cause that AP to lose their relationship with the Mint.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "FideliTrade will have the coins when the U. S. releases them" ........

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I just don't know how the Mint is going to enforce any hh limit. It only applies to the AP's and the only thing I can see is the AP's passing on the one per hh mandate to dealers but it is out of their hands after that. Did the Mint think this stuff out or do they think the AP's will police all of their dealer customers? Good luck. >>

Why do some of you keep mentioning dealers? They've effectively been locked out of this thing. The coins are all going to the public.

The Mint can only force the APs to follow the one per household limit, and only by threatening to inspect their books. But that should be good enough to keep the APs in line because violating the one per household limit, or any of the other terms, could cause that AP to lose their relationship with the Mint. >>

I think that by making a statement requiring all customer dealers to follow the Mint mandate will be all they have to do to cover their behinds.
    coinsponge -

i doubt it.

what will most likely happen is strict wholesalers wont want to deal with the administrative bit of selling to the public retail customers, so they may pass on their allotment,

which leaves the other AP's who do deal with the public to suck up their quantities to sell to the public.

<< <i>coinsponge -

i doubt it.

what will most likely happen is strict wholesalers wont want to deal with the administrative bit of selling to the public retail customers, so they may pass on their allotment,

which leaves the other AP's who do deal with the public to suck up their quantities to sell to the public. >>

You say other AP's (plural). I think there is only one and I am not sure Apmex would want to deal with 33000 customers in a short duration for the money. I may be wrong but it seems that way to me.

Maybe I should add that it might be an issue of logistics even if they find the margin ok. Especially with Christmas sales going on they don't want more irate customers for the delays since some might be bought as gifts.
  • I just got off the phone with APMEX. They're supposed to issue a statement next Monday regarding their existing orders.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    If I were an AP I'd be stoked at the chance to offer these coins directly to the public! One coin or one set at a time! Anyday! And I'd damn sure follow the Mint's outlined regulations! image

• << <i>I just got off the phone with APMEX. They're supposed to issue a statement next Monday regarding their existing orders. >>

Did they say anything about when they would start accepting new orders?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    I just got off the phone with my Brother who just left "The Gold Center" in Springfield Ill.

They told him that they are not going to mess with them.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • I can see the Mint sending out some sort of open database to the AP's selling to the public. When a buyer is added it will alert them if there is an existing purchase on record thus voiding the sale. Not hard to do...P.I.A... but not hard

...just sayin'.....image

• << <i>

<< <i>I just got off the phone with APMEX. They're supposed to issue a statement next Monday regarding their existing orders. >>

Did they say anything about when they would start accepting new orders? >>

No, that's the only info they were willing to release.

• << <i>

<< <i>I just got off the phone with APMEX. They're supposed to issue a statement next Monday regarding their existing orders. >>

Did they say anything about when they would start accepting new orders? >>

Not until next week when the statement comes out. The best info that they have right now is "early next week, Monday or Tuesday".

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
    Knowing that APMEX will have the ability to fill the existing orders, if they do not they will only be digging the hole much deeper.

<< <i>If I were an AP I'd be stoked at the chance to offer these coins directly to the public! One coin or one set at a time! Anyday! And I'd damn sure follow the Mint's outlined regulations! image >>

I'd expect that since you're smokincoin.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about contracting out the "small peanuts"?? Could an AP that is not willing (or able) to sell retail contract out the selling of the pucks to one (or several) of its most favored dealers? The dealer(s) would have to abide by the rules and maybe send a small commission back to the AP? I mean, you've got a guaranteed profit on these buggers - I can imagine some dealers would be champing at the bit for the opportunity...

<< <i>What about contracting out the "small peanuts"?? Could an AP that is not willing (or able) to sell retail contract out the selling of the pucks to one (or several) of its most favored dealers? The dealer(s) would have to abide by the rules and maybe send a small commission back to the AP? I mean, you've got a guaranteed profit on these buggers - I can imagine some dealers would be champing at the bit for the opportunity... >>

That is about the only way I could see it happening which means the hh limit would just be academic to someone willing to shop around. No way will they come up with a data base. I just don't see that. Too much work for a government official about to go out on holidays.
    so another post says Gold Center is not going to sell?

more for AMPEX to sell.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If I were an AP I'd be stoked at the chance to offer these coins directly to the public! One coin or one set at a time! Anyday! And I'd damn sure follow the Mint's outlined regulations! image >>

I'd expect that since you're smokincoin. >>

Showing your true colors with that one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file