Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Gainsville coin will not be carrying them. All preorders are cancelled.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I were an AP I'd be stoked at the chance to offer these coins directly to the public! One coin or one set at a time! Anyday! And I'd damn sure follow the Mint's outlined regulations! image >>

I agree with you smokin!

whether they sell 1,000 oz or 25 oz should not matter.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • To me, the 1 limit per household is a good move by the Mint to pacify the crowd. However, I believe it is not the Mint's best interest to spend extra resources to ensure this rule is strictly followed, and this burden should be passed on to the APs.

I still believe the AP will "try their best" to follow this rule; however, it is also not their best interest to spend too much resources on this. I think it will be just a simple SQL query at the end of each day to delete the duplicate orders from the same address. I think it will be hard to screen out the duplicates from different APs' order.

BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If I were an AP I'd be stoked at the chance to offer these coins directly to the public! One coin or one set at a time! Anyday! And I'd damn sure follow the Mint's outlined regulations! image >>

I agree with you smokin!

whether they sell 1,000 oz or 25 oz should not matter. >>

Well I guess you should get in the AP business because it looks like some are dropping out.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To me, the 1 limit per household is a good move by the Mint to pacify the crowd. However, I believe it is not the Mint's best interest to spend extra resources to ensure this rule is strictly followed, and this burden should be passed on to the APs.

I still believe the AP will "try their best" to follow this rule; however, it is also not their best interest to spend too much resources on this. I think it will be just a simple SQL query at the end of each day to delete the duplicate orders from the same address. I think it will be hard to screen out the duplicates from different APs' order. >>

Do you really think they want that hassle or liability for small margins?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Coins N Things - an AP - , setting up a toll free number for retail orders....

no orders before next Thursday..... just called.

• << <i>Gainsville coin will not be carrying them. All preorders are cancelled. >>

makes sense..not an AP
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Ya know,

Updating your computers and rewriting program code to be able to accomplish the 1 per mandate is not easy to do, not to mention a flood of customers for the servers and databases.

That's the first thing,
    the second is the Mint saying they will audit the books to verify compliance. These two things will keep most AP's out.

People are tossing around the $225,000 profit, that's before taxes. Plus, APMEX is one of the largest bullion dealers in the Country, they probably do millions of dollars of business daily. So, eventhough I'm sure they are going to do this, it's probably just a drop in the bucket for them.

If one of the other AP''s could get ALL the coins and all the profits, $2 million+, then I think they would do it, but for only 3000, it's probably not worth it.

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Coins N Things, thats a great name for selling Pucks, wonder which division is handling themimage--------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

• << <i>Coins N Things, thats a great name for selling Pucks, wonder which division is handling themimage--------------------BigE >>

I'm betting on the "Things" department...
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't blame Jim at the Gold Center for not messing with them. There's a reason why the mint's not selling them directly on their site. Low mintage=tons of phone calls tying up phone lines and personnel, and mad customers ("You were supposed to call me first/ship mine first!"). They're just shuffling off the hassle onto their primary distributors. I predict these will be like first spouse gold...initial rush, then gradually less interest as the series progresses...pretty soon they'll be available at a more modest premium for those who don't need to be the first kid on the block to have one.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MTB @ MTBcoins.com

"is waiting on word from the mint"

"Call later next week, maybe Thursday"

this is the place where I was going to order the group box.

They require a funded account to place an order.

So, there will be options and AP competitors in pricing.

Unfortunately, my money is already at MTB, so I'm more or less going to buy from them unless their price is maybe $50 - $100 more than others.(due to shipping and handing charges and how they play the 10% of course.)

=============================

no one is going to sell these until they have ordered from the mint.

Fidelitrade - yes
    Dillon Gage - yes
    Gold Center - no
    MTB - ? waiting til next week, maybe thursday
    APMEX- ? release a statement next week
    Coins n things - Setting up a toll-free # for these

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIME OUT!!!

TIME OUT!!!

I've missed a couple of days of back and forth and now I'm playing catch up...

So is it correct to assume that the Mint has imposed a 1 set per household rule on the resellers AND that the Mint has also stipulated a cap on the resale price? And if so, who's going to be selling them?

Please help those who haven't been following this blow by blow...as I have a CC all warmed up and ready to go!
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Dillon Gage says "Yes" but they don't know when...check back
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

<< <i>TIME OUT!!!

TIME OUT!!!

I've missed a couple of days of back and forth and now I'm playing catch up...

So is it correct to assume that the Mint has imposed a 1 set per household rule on the resellers AND that the Mint has also stipulated a cap on the resale price? And if so, who's going to be selling them?

Please help those who haven't been following this blow by blow...as I have a CC all warmed up and ready to go! >>

see potential sellers list 1 post above yours.

Read:
    new news
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>
    Do you really think they want that hassle or liability for small margins? >>

What I am saying is the AP will just have to "try their best" to ensure the household limit is met. Whether is it actually met or not is neither the interest of the Mint nor the AP.

Of course, provided the AP has an infrastructure in place to handle retail orders (of course it is the biggest assumption since most AP don't have it), the margins is actually not bad. The annualized rate of return is not bad because they should sell out fast. Since some AP will opt out, I assume an AP will be allocated 6,000 sets (assume each set cost them $800) and they sell out in one month.

Total capital for 6,000 set : $4,800,000
    Profit for each set: $80 - $20 (cost of business)
    Total profit = $360,0000
    Annualized return = (360,000*12/4800000) = 90%

If more APs opt out, the profit will be larger because the cost per transaction should go down.

For liability, do you refer to the 1 per HH limit? I think it shouldn't not be a big liability as long as their "try their best" to enforce it.

The big question is still besides APMEX, what other APs have the infrastructure to handle retail business? How desperate do they want to capture this one time side business? And how much does it cost to build a simple infrastructure to handle the order?? There are a few alternatives to make it happens (eg. use some existing call center service to handle this short-term sales, subcontract the order-taking process or even order fulfillment to outside vendor).
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really think they want that hassle or liability for small margins?

Apmex took a bullion coin and wanted to make double the markup over spot that even the Mint makes on their premium numismatic products. If that's what it takes for Apmex to be in business, then they shouldn't be.

Maybe the Mint should reconsider doing all distribution in-house and eliminate the middleman. There would be an immediate savings due to economy of scale, in addition to the elimination of extra handling & shipping incurred by the distributors.

$9.75 per coin, plus 10% is not a small margin for that amount of business.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fidelitrade - yes
    Dillon Gage - yes
    Gold Center - no
    MTB - ? waiting til next week, maybe thursday
    APMEX- ? release a statement next week
    Coins n things - Setting up a toll-free # for these >>

Northwest Territorial Mint - On the website "Monday"
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blanchard& co. Is a no

Sam Sloat is a no

No for The Gold Center as well
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    Here's the list from this site

A-Mark Precious Metals (Los Angeles) - ? check web site link on upper right of home page
    Coins 'N Things Inc. (Massachusetts) - ? maybe, check on thursday
    MTB (New York) - ? check next week, maybe thursday
    Scotia Mocatta (New York)
    American Precious Metals Exchange, Inc. (APMEX) (Oklahoma) - ? will release a statement next week
    Dillon Gage Incorporated of Dallas (Texas) - yes
    Prudential Securities Inc. (New York)
    The Gold Center (Illinois) - no
    Commerzbank International (Luxembourg)
    Deutsche Bank A.G. (Germany)
    Tanaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K.K. (Japan)

Coin world list from this thread
    APMEX - ? release a statement next week
    1. A-Mark Precious Metals, Los Angeles - Silver, Gold, Platinum ? check web site link on upper right of home page
    2. Dillon Guage Inc. Dallas - Silver Only - yes
    3. jack hunt Coin Brokers, Buffalo NY - Silver Only - ? check website for update, do not call
    4. Prudential Securities Inc. New York City - Silver, Gold, Platinum
    5. The Gold Center, Springfield, Ill - Silver Only - no
    6. Coin's 'N Things, Bridgewater MASS - Silver Only - ? maybe, check on thursday
    7. Fidelitrade Inc, Wilmington Del - Silver Only - yes
    8. MTB, New York City - Silver, Gold, Platinum - ? later next week, maybe thursday
    9. SCB/Mocatta Bullion, New York City - Silver, Gold, Platinum

10. Commerzbank International, Luxembourg/New York City - Silver and Gold
    11. Deutsche Bank AG, Frankfurt Germany - Silver, Gold Only
    12. Union Bank of Switzerland, Zurich - Silver, Gold, Platinum

13. Hang Seng Bank, Hong Kong - Silver, Gold Only
    14. Tinaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K.K., Tokyo - Gold, Platinum Only

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I just called Coins 'n Things. Their Toll Free Number is (800)258-7322. Her instructions to me were that they will not make up their mind until next Thursday (12-16-2010) as to their selling the "rounds". We'll see.
    Paul
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I like the HYPE "the mintage at 33,000 each is more like a numismatic rarity than a bullion coin. image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APMEX not taking any orders....but you can add your name to the "Alert Me List."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for any double posts, only have a few minutes to post, have not read all the prior ones...

These are all of the "National" level APs from The Mint site....
    APMEX we all know
    A-Mark may carry, check site
    Blanchard & Co. no
    Calif. Numis. Investments no
    CMI No
    CNT Yes. call next week
    Dillon gage yes, keep checking web site
    Fidelitrade Yes, call next week
    Gaithersburg Coin Ex. told me they are $2500. They are secondary buyers. I told them the new news...
    Intl Precious metals Yes. taking names NOW (nice to deal with)
    Investment rarities Yes, taking names
    Jack Hunt - NO (message when you call says not taking ATB 5 oz calls, check web for updates)
    Liberty Coin Galleries: don't expect to, not a difinitive no
    Manfra, Tordella and Brooks Yes, call next friday
    northwest territorial mint YES taking names, very nice folks
    Prudential Global Der. possibly, call friday
    Rocky Mountian Coin Ex NO!!
    Rust Rare coin YES taking names
    Sam sloat no
    The Gold Center No
    Water Tower Prec. metals closed.

Hope this helps, sorry for typos, gotta run...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>northwest territorial mint YES taking names, very nice folks >>

I'm on the list as well.
  • MsMorrisine: Thanks for the list. We'd appreciate you keeping this updated!

Reading this thread has been like a good book - can't put it down for over a week now! image
  • If one per HH holds will the Mint be able to cross reference orders from the APs to see if you bought from more then one place?
    looking at their requirements its seems they want to audit to see who bought them.
    Breaking news flash
    New government jobs
    The Mint Police.
    Coming to your town soon.
    And I think Ampex should be given the go ahead to sell those first 1000 orders as is.

<< <i>I like the HYPE "the mintage at 33,000 each is more like a numismatic rarity than a bullion coin. image >>

I would say so...it's approx 90% less than most classic coin production, is it not?image
    Not to be too obtuse, but I just called a couple of the firms listed and the likely prices they're still kicking around are multiples higher than the Mint's issue price...so what problem has been solved by holding these back, as there still seems to be a massive re-sale margin getting factored in.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else getting the impression the people who didn't like the $1,395 price from Apmex are gathering information on how to obtain as many of these as possible. Now that the price is lower, there is more profits to be had in the flipping game.

• << <i>Not to be too obtuse, but I just called a couple of the firms listed and the likely prices they're still kicking around are multiples higher than the Mint's issue price...so what problem has been solved by holding these back, as there still seems to be a massive re-sale margin getting factored in. >>

You called companies on the list of AP's (Ms. Morrisine's updated list above) ??? ...and they quoted you "kick around"prices above the Mint mandated price???

The only thing that should affect the price should be what the Mint states the price will be...the rest is fixed

Edited to add: I see what is adding to the confusion....the last list posted has both dealers and AP's on it....

...and I thought it was clearing up a bit

• << <i>Anyone else getting the impression the people who didn't like the $1,395 price from Apmex are gathering information on how to obtain as many of these as possible. Now that the price is lower, there is more profits to be had in the flipping game. >>

Yup....and the main one posted a combo list of dealers and AP's which is confusing the issue.... stick with Ms. Morrisine's list

<< <i>Not to be too obtuse, but I just called a couple of the firms listed and the likely prices they're still kicking around are multiples higher than the Mint's issue price...so what problem has been solved by holding these back, as there still seems to be a massive re-sale margin getting factored in. >>

That's because only the AP's are subject to the Mints stipulation. Secondary market sellers are not. And judging by the list that Raufus supplied, quite a few are not AP's, but second tier distributors.
  • Unless I am wrong the primary market sellers (AP's) are only selling to consumers at a one per HH limit

So where do the secondary market sellers on the list get their coins (if you say AP's then please explain in context with the Mint statement of 12/9)
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I would think that secondary market sellers start to put out ads (if they think this will explode in popularity-even more than now) to buy at slightly higher than initial pricing - kind of like the coins under HH limits at the USM.
  • I am surprised AMPEX is not releasing any info until next week. I thought the mint was to inform APs by fax today how many sets they can/will get? AMPEX presold last weekend with the knowledge they would get 3000 sets. I would think they would start selling as soon as they know how many they are getting and set the prices/requirements. They could be sold out and ready to get more by the 20th.
    <<That's because only the AP's are subject to the Mints stipulation. Secondary market sellers are not. And judging by the list that Raufus supplied, quite a few are not AP's, but second tier distributors. >>

OK...well that would explain why I was getting soft kickaround pricing in the $2,000+ range from Raufus' list.

Once the smoke starts to clear next week, we should maintain a clean, running list of primary sellers, their contact info and any specifics on how to order from them.
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    If one per HH holds will the Mint be able to cross reference orders from the APs to see if you bought from more then one place?
    looking at their requirements its seems they want to audit to see who bought them.

I seriously doubt the AP's will be able to cross reference orders with other AP's. Definate Loophole For Buyers.

And I think Ampex should be given the go ahead to sell those first 1000 orders as is.

I think APMEX is going to have legal issues no matter what they do.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It looks like I picked a bad week to give up cigarettes"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>"It looks like I picked a bad week to give up cigarettes" >>

...and I gave up my Corona's for a week .....That Pepsi is gettin' pretty boring image
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Gee, interfering with the free market sure has made things way easier, hasn't it?-----------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

• << <i>And I think Ampex should be given the go ahead to sell those first 1000 orders as is.

I think APMEX is going to have legal issues no matter what they do. >>

I would be surprised if APMEX keeps those first 1000 sales. Those sales were based on a purchase price of $1395. It's unfair to those people who didn't place an order because they didn't want to or were unable to spend that much money. I think APMEX has to do a complete reset, and I think it was stupid of them to send out that email saying they would honor the existing sales. They've pretty much put themselves into a bind.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>Anyone else getting the impression the people who didn't like the $1,395 price from Apmex are gathering information on how to obtain as many of these as possible. Now that the price is lower, there is more profits to be had in the flipping game. >>

Some, as myself, may only want to order 2 sets. I buy 2 of everything, one for each child and not really interested in flipping. Since there is now 1 per HH limit, other distributors
    are needed. JMO.image

<< "It looks like I picked a bad week to give up cigarettes" >>

"Looks like I picked a bad week to stop taking amphetomines!"
  • meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    **** Maybe the USMint should accept the orders on their website, per their own rules, and have the AP's drop ship the coins. Jeez, what a mess... ****

I am very sympathetic to those that have ordered and are still willing to pay the amount they have agreed to... especially with the understanding that they will probably be offered to others for less.

<< <i><< "It looks like I picked a bad week to give up cigarettes" >>

"Looks like I picked a bad week to stop taking amphetomines!" >>

"It looks like I picked a bad week to give up sniffing glue!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • How come post 1397 says 1400?...Is he selling at a profit...call the Lawyers!!!!!
    "We've got to get this girl to a hospital!"

"A Hospital? What is it?"

"It's a big building with lots of sick people. But that's not important right now!"
    Now 1400!

Which will also probably be the PRICE PER COIN this time next week!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file