Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• << <i>1500! >>

You did much better with that one....image
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captn, do you have a software program or smoething that tells you when to post even hundreds like that?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wasn't long ago silver was at $14.99 per ounce. >>

February of this year.
    Heck, it got down to $8.31 in the Fall of 2008!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The post counts to the thread are averaging down. We're at an average of 150 posts per day to this thread (collectively). In the meantime. Is it due to coins or bullion ? My guess is : "Passion"

HE>I

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait till the AP's announce their sales options. Then the post counts will really hit the fan.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a chat with Alycia at APMEX. She stated APMEX has asked for more info from the Mint and expects a response within 10-14 days. So my guess is no coins this week from them...
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So who are the retail establishments that will be able to sell these? I apologize if it's in this thread, but I don't have the time or patience to comb through 75+ pages.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    sorry, I don't think I can wait 10-14 days. I'm already getting jittery. I NEED to get pucked up!
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So who are the retail establishments that will be able to sell these? I apologize if it's in this thread, but I don't have the time or patience to comb through 75+ pages. >>

Only the authorized mint purchasers who are willing to kiss the US Mint ars with the clstrfck imposed conditions for sale of the pucks.... 11 AP's in the US, but as far as I can tell...maybe 3. I'm not even sure if APMEX is willing to accept the present terms.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Not to go off topic, but that is an awesome shot.

Although the thought of it made me start laughing , again

HE>I

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So who are the retail establishments that will be able to sell these? I apologize if it's in this thread, but I don't have the time or patience to comb through 75+ pages. >>

The mint is trying to make their Approved Purchasers retailers. Sales are limited at this time to those 11 approved APs to my understanding.
    Paul
    I just got of the horn with apmex. I, too, got the 10-14 day statement. I cancelled my orders and requested a refund.
    10-14 days for more news....pffft!
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

<< <i>The mint is trying to make their Approved Purchasers retailers. Sales are limited at this time to those 11 approved APs to my understanding. >>

Yes, I know that... but some of the 11 are retailers - who are they? Just APMEX? Does anyone know?

<< <i>I just got of the horn with apmex. I, too, got the 10-14 day statement. I cancelled my orders and requested a refund.
    10-14 days for more news....pffft! >>

I would love APMEX to order 350 sets to fill the orders they have (at 1 per). Come the 20th, when no one else orders the remaining sets, the Mint has 7 working days to get the remaining units sold. The Mint then gets to melt thousands of these sets...

As for the 10-14 days for info from APMEX, my guess is they are asking about the 10% up-charge and what if spot moves to a point where these are selling under melt... I look to the Mint to clarify their position on that and change the terms to 10% over melt plus premium charged by the Mint.
  • In reality no one will know who is actually selling them until they actually go on sale......

..and who knows when that will be....I thought it would be today but it doesn't look that way..

• << <i>I just got of the horn with apmex. I, too, got the 10-14 day statement. I cancelled my orders and requested a refund.

Do you think APMEX is trying to wait until after the after the 20th to make a deal with the mint for all remaining pucks (could even turn out to be the full mintage)?
    Just trying to rationalize the delay.

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.

• << <i>I look to the Mint to clarify their position on that and change the terms to 10% over melt plus premium charged by the Mint. >>

That is what I thought was the way it was...like ASE's....but the wording says differently

<< <i>In reality no one will know who is actually selling them until they actually go on sale....... >>

OK, let me put it this way:
    We (should) know who the 11 possible sellers are. Of those 11, only a few are retailers. Who are the possible retailers?
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We (should) know who the 11 possible sellers are. Of those 11, only a few are retailers. Who are the possible retailers? >>

As far as I know, the following APs also retail:

APMEX
    Dillon Gage
    Fidelitrade
    MTB

Some of them normally have very high minimum purchases for their bullion, but who knows how this will play out given that there is a strict one per HH limit on the pucks...

<< <i>

<< <i>In reality no one will know who is actually selling them until they actually go on sale....... >>

We (should) know who the 11 possible sellers are. Of those 11, only a few are retailers. Who are the possible retailers? >>

No one knows. APMEX probably, as they already have a retail operation. The question is - what AP's want to establish a system to sell one item - and will have 3000 individual customers that you will never sell to again?

• << <i>

<< <i>I look to the Mint to clarify their position on that and change the terms to 10% over melt plus premium charged by the Mint. >>

That is what I thought was the way it was...like ASE's....but the wording says differently >>

This is a stupid thought I know BUT.....isn't it possible that the price of silver couldn't go down???

Then they would be selling them at a lower base price than cost.....it is a double edged sword..

...and....do we REALLY know what "cost" is to the AP's??? Friday's price fixed??....today's??....tomorrow's??.....whenever they order them???
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

We (should) know who the 11 possible sellers are. Of those 11, only a few are retailers. Who are the possible retailers? >>

No one knows. APMEX probably, as they already have a retail operation. The question is - what AP's want to establish a system to sell one item - and will have 3000 individual customers that you will never sell to again? >>

I looked at a couple of these AP's and to open an account is pretty involved, because they expect big dealers and such. They expect info that most people will not provide when just purchasing $1000 worth of silver.

• << <i>

<< <i>We (should) know who the 11 possible sellers are. Of those 11, only a few are retailers. Who are the possible retailers? >>

As far as I know, the following APs also retail:

APMEX
    Dillon Gage
    Fidelitrade
    MTB

Some of them normally have very high minimum purchases for their bullion, but who knows how this will play out given that there is a strict one per HH limit on the pucks... >>

Add A-Mark Precious Metals (amark.com) and possibly Jack Hunt Coin Brokers (jackhunt.com).
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭
    Which one to collect? The numismatic version or the bullion versions? I would think the numismatic ones would be more convenient, since they no doubt will come with mint packaging which is always more appealing to collectors, However, the frenzy on the mints web site might shut me out if they are not sold as sets. Since I am no longer collecting ASEs, I do like the fact that the designs will change out every year. The size is definitely an issue for me.

• << <i>Which one to collect? The numismatic version or the bullion versions? I would think the numismatic ones would be more convenient, since they no doubt will come with mint packaging which is always more appealing to collectors, However, the frenzy on the mints web site might shut me out if they are not sold as sets. Since I am no longer collecting ASEs, I do like the fact that the designs will change out every year. The size is definitely an issue for me. >>

I have the same dilemma. Plus I might not decide until I have them both in hand to compare. Collecting the bullion would be a lot cheaper since there would be no Mint premium. You may want to order the bullion and hold them as trade bait in case you're locked out of the numismatic version.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • I think it's a pretty safe bet that the ATBs will be made in higher mintages for some time to come. People are seeing the 2010 strikes as the keys even before the series really starts. The numismatic version is the better bet for the long run, due to the slightly lower mintages. Seems wise though to pick up one of each if you can.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

<< <i>I think it's a pretty safe bet that the ATBs will be made in higher mintages for some time to come. People are seeing the 2010 strikes as the keys even before the series really starts. The numismatic version is the better bet for the long run, due to the slightly lower mintages. Seems wise though to pick up one of each if you can. >>

At the rate things are going, the bullion versions may not even make it to the market in time, or maybe the few APs that decide to deal with these say "sayonara" after their first allocation. Then the mint would be forced to melt the remainder, making the bullion versions the lowest effective mintages of the two. Just something to think about as time runs out on this year...
  • The whole "bullion version" thing is a major black eye on the face of the Mint....

It is becoming a major joke....and it gets better with each decision...

They should just say screw it with the bullion this year and try again next year...Who's going to arrest the Mint 'cuz they didn't get them out???

They should be embarrassed at their own lack of foresight and ignorance...

• << <i>

<< <i>I think it's a pretty safe bet that the ATBs will be made in higher mintages for some time to come. People are seeing the 2010 strikes as the keys even before the series really starts. The numismatic version is the better bet for the long run, due to the slightly lower mintages. Seems wise though to pick up one of each if you can. >>

At the rate things are going, the bullion versions may not even make it to the market in time, or maybe the few APs that decide to deal with these say "sayonara" after their first allocation. Then the mint would be forced to melt the remainder, making the bullion versions the lowest effective mintages of the two. Just something to think about as time runs out on this year... >>

Yes, good points. This bullion series has already seen more drama than most...first the trouble striking, then the problems with the APs. Now that these bullion coins are going to be sold at a price closer to bullion value, it seems like a no-brainer to pick up a least a set. If anything you probably won't lose money, given that silver is likely to climb anyway. And who knows how it'll all play out?
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • image Am I the only one?

• << <i>

<< <i>I just got of the horn with apmex. I, too, got the 10-14 day statement. I cancelled my orders and requested a refund.

Do you think APMEX is trying to wait until after the after the 20th to make a deal with the mint for all remaining pucks (could even turn out to be the full mintage)?
    Just trying to rationalize the delay.

John >>

I think the AP's might be working with the mint to try and get the 1 per HH removed. Like many have said they aren't all retailers.
    I think they all must be meeting...it seems odd that they all use such similar wording on their websites or on the phone.

The mint has posted new guidelines...
    We are "evaluating,assessing, clarifying" these guidelines
    We will post more information when we get it

I agree that they aren't wanting to clarify the guidelines as much as argue about them
    Let's assume for a minute these aren't a big hit. APMEX orders 3000 and does not sell out. On the 20th, the remaining pucks are available. Let's say spot is much higher. Who would order, knowing that the AP's that have inventory left from their initial order on the 10th will not be raising their price (they can't) to your selling price? You either sell at a loss or wait until those with 12/10 buys to sell out before customers start buying your pucks. If silver tanks, then companies that bought on the 10th are now stuck, having to lower prices so they can move their pucks. Seems the Mint has given the AP's limited upside and unlimited downside.
  • I don't know if there are 3000 individual buyers of these pucks to absorb the first round BUT if they do not sell out I can guarantee the limits will be removed and they will be sucked up for sure...maybe not on the 20th but eventually

The way things are going now who knows whether the coins will even be for sale BY the 20th

(and those 3000 individual buyers are for APMEX only ...... there are 30,000 more sets for sale)
  • isn't ampex supposed to email people
    who ordered today with some type of update????
  • I ordered when they had over 900 still available...no update email yet...

FloridaBill
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ordered when they had over 900 still available...no update email yet...

FloridaBill >>

FLB...haven't seen you around much lately. How are your Wash. FDCC's holding up. image

Btw, I've also ordered from APMEX & haven't received an email update.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>How are your Wash. FDCC's holding up. >>

LOL...I haven't looked in a long time....I was in and out of those like a hot potato

FloridaBill
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Fidelitrade was taking a list of names and numbers (a list) today by phone. They said they ordered Friday, should have them very soon.
    Wakey, wakey, rise and shine!!!

I've just got the feeling that something is going to break today!
    Fidelitrade was taking a list of names and numbers (a list) today by phone. They said they ordered Friday, should have them very soon.

Will call this morning. See if they met there limit yet.

<< <i>Fidelitrade was taking a list of names and numbers (a list) today by phone. They said they ordered Friday, should have them very soon. Will call this morning. See if they met there limit yet. >>

I called at 8:30 ET sharp and she took my name and number. She said they are expecting delivery of the coins any day now and will call when they arrive. No pricing info yet...
    Hot Cakes for sale !

HE>I

• << <i>Fidelitrade was taking a list of names and numbers (a list) today by phone. They said they ordered Friday, should have them very soon. >>

I was able to have my name added to FideliTrade's list as well using their "Contact Us" link on their website. Linda B. replied within an hour with:

<< <i>FideliTrade will add you to the list of people we are calling as soon as we get the coins in. >>

I'm currently sitting in Afghanistan for a few months longer so email is the best way to contact sellers.
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    APMEX is holding a lot of money in payments for multiple sets. They need to do something soon.

The only thing I can think of is they are getting clarification from the Mint about selling one set to the
    original group of customers who placed an order before suspension or whether that group must re-order.

ADDED: The again, they may not say jack squat until those babies are in the building in their possession!

Loves me some shiny!
    Yes. Linda answered. On the list at Fidelitrade. Most likely will be buying from them.

• << <i>ADDED: The again, they may not say jack squat until those babies are in the building in their possession! >>

YA THINK??? image
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. Linda answered. On the list at Fidelitrade. Most likely will be buying from them. >>

I called, gave name and phone number. Seemed more of a we'll call you when they are in, instead of we are holding them for you.

She did say they hope to have them this week with a call Monday. Hopefully of course.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, everybody is jumpy on this; I don't see how they (Fidelitrade) would know any more than the rest of us.....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

<< <i>Wow, everybody is jumpy on this; I don't see how they (Fidelitrade) would know any more than the rest of us..... >>

No one said they did. We just want on the list so we can be sure to get a set. These will be in short supply, it's the prudent thing to do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file