Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone have access to the NGC pop reports for 69PLs? >>

Either I can't find it (I looked in every category I could think), or NGC hasn't published anything yet.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Well my thoughts on NGC are a tad different. I found that when a submission moves from "Received" to "Scheduled for grading" 3-4 days later they are graded.

I sent a set of 5 that was received by them on Friday 2/11. They were "scheduled for grading" Thursday 2/17.

I think the "big boys" all sent in their rolls for grading quite a while ago as evidenced by the slabbed coins for sale before I even got my 1st set.

Submissions now are 5 or so pucks at a time which is no biggie for them to turn over.

I will update when they are graded...

• << <i>

Either I can't find it (I looked in every category I could think), or NGC hasn't published anything yet. >>

• << <i>

<< <i>

Either I can't find it (I looked in every category I could think), or NGC hasn't published anything yet. >>

image >>

Hmm.....submit to PCGS or NGC....this is a tough one.

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    There is more to the story than that and it will be interesting to see where it goes.... >>

For sure. But selling the coins for near spot is certainly not a motivating factor for those APs left to sell.

What the APs have done consistently is metering. I guess we'll probably see more of that.... >>

When did the price the APs can sell at change? It's 10% + reasonable shipping and handling.

The APs bought in Dec, that's their price, not Friday's silver close.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    There is more to the story than that and it will be interesting to see where it goes.... >>

For sure. But selling the coins for near spot is certainly not a motivating factor for those APs left to sell.

What the APs have done consistently is metering. I guess we'll probably see more of that.... >>

When did the price the APs can sell at change? It's 10% + reasonable shipping and handling.

The APs bought in Dec, that's their price, not Friday's silver close. >>

Right, but my point was that because of the recent run on silver, if any APs sell, they'll be selling at levels quite close to spot. Closer to spot than APMEX is selling 2011 ASEs.....which is nuts.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.....which is nuts. >>

Too bad, so sad. It sucks to be an AP. imageimageimage

• << <i> Right, but my point was that because of the recent run on silver, if any APs sell, they'll be selling at levels quite close to spot. Closer to spot than APMEX is selling 2011 ASEs.....which is nuts. >>

Absolutely correct.....anyone that has a chance to pick up a set from an AP and doesn't is not thinking clearly...

Look at it as 25 unlimited mintage ASE's vs. a new limited mintage 5 oz. silver series....at nearly the same price....

Now those who bought the raw sets for $2895 are a TOTALLY different issue,,,

Buying them at ASE prices is a no brainer
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I wish I could go after another set from them but I consider myself lucky to get the 3 sets I did. I have invested pretty heavy in silver at this point .
  • Is Hot Springs eligible for a PL designation? I don't see any on ebay. Is it being excluded from PL designation because the reverse doesn't have enough mirrored surface area?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭
    The ONLY possible AP left to sell is Coins and Things and Jack Hunt.

All the others are done. I think.

Good:
    A-Mark
    Fidelitrade
    MTB

Bad:
    Apmex
    Dillion Gage
    Prudential
    Gold Center.

Undetermined
    Jack Hunt
    Coins and Things.

Eventhough DG recently sold 'some' to the public, I'd still rank them as bad.

Maybe these AP's make so much money they don't need new business, but if these AP's sell the next releases of the ATB's, I would choose a-mark, Fidelitrade and MTB for any future bullion purchases. And would avoid APMEX, DG, Prudential and Gold Center if at all possible.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A-mark would be my favorite but APMEX is also right up there as the best. Your reasoning just doesn't add up to fault them.
  • I got a set from APMEX but there are only about 350 of us. Where are the other coins?

• << <i>I got a set from APMEX but there are only about 350 of us. Where are the other coins? >>

In slabs in dealer's hands......
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A-mark would be my favorite but APMEX is also right up there as the best. Your reasoning just doesn't add up to fault them. >>

Still have your blinders on huh? Yeah you got your set from ampex, and so your happy. Yet ampex started out with trying to gouge us with there prices, (one strike) So they gave you a set and a big fat REFUND check because of most of the members calling the mint got the price reduced. (strike 2) Now since you have gotten your set they decided to play a game. The only AP that was setup to sell and yet they never did(strike 3 ) There only excuse has been so lame, we are still consulting with the mint about the rules, whatever.....................your out! image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Early on I had hope that APMEX would come through with sets of these 5 ouncers to everyone, including me, on their alert list. They, more than any AP, have the capacity to sell directly from their website and should have been the first to sell their allotment. For this reason alone I give them a big thumbs down.

• << <i>Early on I had hope that APMEX would come through with sets of these 5 ouncers to everyone, including me, on their alert list. They, more than any AP, have the capacity to sell directly from their website and should have been the first to sell their allotment. For this reason alone I give them a big thumbs down. >>

....and I was one of the few who did get a set. There is absolutely zero reason for not offering the rest to collectors....none....ziltch...nada

I used them frequently and referred my friends to them both for purchases and bullion sales. I have since told them all to never frequent that establishment again....
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    My buddy calls me lasy night wondering what to do with an unhappy buyer. This was his first one. Listing says sealed unsearched no refunds.

"Hi; Received The ATB Coins This AM And Very Unhappy With The Condition Of These "Collectables". All Are Somewhat Fine Scratched And One Has Nick On Outer Edge. This Is Just Looking Without Any Magnification. I Am In No Way An Expert,And As The Packaged Was Sealed, I Guess Fidelitrade Searched And Kept Better Coins For Grading. Also The Mint For Poor Packaging And Production. For About The Same Price I Now Think It Would Have Been Better For Me To Purchase A Set Of Gem Uncirculated Coins. What Are Your Thoughts? Any Partial Refund? Please Reply And Thanks"

Other info: This buyer also sells coins, has no returns in his listings, and usually says grade it yourself don't imply grade based upon photo in his listings.

I'll update if it turns ugly...

• << <i>My buddy calls me lasy night wondering what to do with an unhappy buyer. This was his first one. Listing says sealed unsearched no refunds.
    He bought some coins nuff said

"Hi; Received The ATB Coins This AM And Very Unhappy With The Condition Of These "Collectables". All Are Somewhat Fine Scratched And One Has Nick On Outer Edge. This Is Just Looking Without Any Magnification. I Am In No Way An Expert,And As The Packaged Was Sealed, I Guess Fidelitrade Searched And Kept Better Coins For Grading. Also The Mint For Poor Packaging And Production. For About The Same Price I Now Think It Would Have Been Better For Me To Purchase A Set Of Gem Uncirculated Coins. What Are Your Thoughts? Any Partial Refund? Please Reply And Thanks"

Other info: This buyer also sells coins, has no returns in his listings, and usually says grade it yourself don't imply grade based upon photo in his listings.

I'll update if it turns ugly... >>

• Sounds like my extortion guy.....

A sealed box can't be returned because it is no longer sealed....simple....

I would nicely tell him that it was purchased as described, shipped as purchased, and the quality is irrelevant

I would take this one to a case and I think you would win....you might get an undeserved neg but you can explain the situation in your feedback response

I'm sure he is VERY savvy and read about getting some payback from other sellers (me) and thought he would give it a try

Edited to add: I would love to see the auction link and buyer name so I might add the name to my ever growing list of doodah's
    Buyers remorse should not be a grounds for returns, even if a return policy is stated. Out this punk so I can block him.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

My list has room for one more.
  • Any Partial Refund?

That sounds like extortion to me.

Tell him he bot them as sealed. It was a crap shoot and he lost. end of story.

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Sounds VERY familiar.....this is what the weenie that bought mine said:

" I am dissapointed in the quality of two of the coins I bought, one has what looks like a spot on washingtons face and light scratches. For the money I paid I expect better. I would like to return or work something out in the price. Thank you",

Dork....
  • I sold a set and got this reply:

Greetings,

"I received the coins today and am surprised the they are not in their containers, rather they are in plastic bubble wrap. This is not good - there is residue on the coins - tape or plastic crud - where are the plastic airtites and why did you remove them?

For me to have these graded I am going to have to have them conserved by NCS which is going to cost me. I am willing to accept a refund equal to that cost - its 4% of the value of the coin - or I can return them for a full refund from you.

which do you prefer? Sorry about this, but the coins should have never been removed from the airtites they were issued in.

Let me know,"

I explained to him that not all AP's put them in airtites or had them slabed and that I got them from Ftrade which shipped them in bubble wrap. I agreed to refund the 4% ( $30.00) to have the coins restored. He was happy and so was I.

My question is, what is the residue he was talking about, die polish? I looked at them before I shipped them and did not see any foreign substance on them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
  • I sold a set and got this reply:

Can you list a link to the original auction?
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My buddy calls me lasy night wondering what to do with an unhappy buyer. This was his first one. Listing says sealed unsearched no refunds.

I'll update if it turns ugly... >>

I would just tell the guy "my thoughts", a good explanation for someone who buys a "sealed, unsearched" item...and say "have a great day"
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold a set and got this reply:

Greetings,

"I received the coins today and am surprised the they are not in their containers, rather they are in plastic bubble wrap. This is not good - there is residue on the coins - tape or plastic crud - where are the plastic airtites and why did you remove them?

For me to have these graded I am going to have to have them conserved by NCS which is going to cost me. I am willing to accept a refund equal to that cost - its 4% of the value of the coin - or I can return them for a full refund from you.

which do you prefer? Sorry about this, but the coins should have never been removed from the airtites they were issued in.

Let me know,"

I explained to him that not all AP's put them in airtites or had them slabed and that I got them from Ftrade which shipped them in bubble wrap. I agreed to refund the 4% ( $30.00) to have the coins restored. He was happy and so was I.

My question is, what is the residue he was talking about, die polish? I looked at them before I shipped them and did not see any foreign substance on them. >>

Wow, another Buyer extortion attempt! Sorry to hear of your experience. So I take it that you opened them before you shipped them and they were fine?

• << <i>I sold a set and got this reply:

Can you list a link to the original auction? >>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220737861061
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

• Link

The guy sounds like a real PIA. I think you did okay to get out with the 4% just to put the whole thing to rest.

It would be nice to know the bidders ID though.

• << <i>Link

The guy sounds like a real PIA. I think you did okay to get out with the 4% just to put the whole thing to rest.

It would be nice to know the bidders ID though. >>

magicmarv
    GOD BLESS AMERICA
  • magicmarv

He's a seller and should know better...BLOCKED!
  • PhillyEagle, I'd be very tempted to refuse the offer and have the coins shipped back to me--and not fuel the fire. That guy is a seller---he should have done his homework. Did you tell him that that's how the Fidelitrade coins were stored? You would be hit with a neg though if you did that......Needless to say, I will not be doing business with him. Blocked....
  • He bought a set of coins thats it, quit letting them get away with this crap. Need to talk with e-bay about blocking buyers like this from being allowed to post negative feedback.
  • Has anyone had success selling sets to local coin shops? My third set is due on Tuesday and then I am selling two sets. I'll sell my A-Mark and keep either my FTrades or MTB depending on how the MTB's look. I don't want to get involved with a disputed eBay auction so am looking for another method to sell.
    Thanks

• << <i>I sold a set and got this reply:

Greetings,

Let me know,"

My question is, what is the residue he was talking about, die polish? I looked at them before I shipped them and did not see any foreign substance on them. >>

The only think I can think of as residue was the bubble wrap and the glue used to seal the bubble wrap. I asked before on this thread if there was pvc in bubble wrap and the folks did not think there was. I am blocking the buyer and thanks for the name! By the way, welcome to the forum and Flyers suck image
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up PhillyEagle.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the manipulative ebayer.

They are blocked and I will continue to offer a NO RETURNS, NO EXTORTION clause on these when selling.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • I explained that I shipped them just as I received them from FT and he responded with this

"Thank you for your response; I was not aware that any distributor sent the coins as such; I've purchased around 20 sets now, most have come in airtites, some already seen by PCGS as First Strikes. Your offer is fair, but I was thinking more like the bullion value of the coins - 5 oz at $30 an ounce or $150 a coin, not $300. That is the true value as far as I am concerned and that is what NCS would base the cost on. So 4% of $750 would be $30 - if that is ok with you, then just refund that and we're good to with five star positive feedback from me to you.

Thanks - I'd avoid purchasing from that distributor in the future if I were you - A-Mark sends them already encased by PCGS or APMEX in the air-ties - same price and no plastic or tape goo.

Regards,"

I thought it was better to lost $30.00 than to have to pay another $50.00 fee to resell them and receive neg. FB.

I offered him 4% of what he paid which was $61.00. He responded with an offer of 4% of bullion price so he was fair but you are right he is a dealer
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

<< <i>I thought it was better to lost $30.00 than to have to pay another $50.00 fee to resell them and receive neg. FB. >>

No way. You can cancel the eBay transaction and get your FVF back, you just lose the insertion fee. I'd have him send it back for a refund, and let him know that you need to receive it the way you sent it, otherwise you can gaurantee he swapped out coins, no question about it. No feedback if you cancel the transaction either.

It's all about principle to me. I've lost a lot more money than I can shake a stick at regarding principle, on both sides of the fence as a seller. Like paying for return shipping on an item that cost $10 that I already paid $5 to ship in the first place because the buyer wanted me to take $ off when he was way out of line. I have also told a buyer to keep a $30 coin and sent him what he bought after I sent him the wrong coin in error.

You have to stand up for what you believe in, if you think you were right and this guy is trying to hustle you, just take the loss and be happy he isn't somehow profiting from it.
  • I like where he tells YOU who to buy your coins from....

Maybe the suds of time will wash these bacteria away .....and once this initial year fiasco is over things will return to normal .....
  • I sold a sealed mtb set for buy it now and this is what he says after he recieved them.

Looking at the original invoice,i feel you asked too much for the coins.one of the coins has a scrath on the obverse side. it is the mount hood coin.Item I received is not as described.I was supposed to get this item "unopened as received",but they came in individual paper bags.they were already opened.one coin, the mount hood has a scratch on it.

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought it was better to lost $30.00 than to have to pay another $50.00 fee to resell them and receive neg. FB. >>

No way. You can cancel the eBay transaction and get your FVF back, you just lose the insertion fee. I'd have him send it back for a refund, and let him know that you need to receive it the way you sent it, otherwise you can gaurantee he swapped out coins, no question about it. No feedback if you cancel the transaction either.

It's all about principle to me. I've lost a lot more money than I can shake a stick at regarding principle, on both sides of the fence as a seller. Like paying for return shipping on an item that cost $10 that I already paid $5 to ship in the first place because the buyer wanted me to take $ off when he was way out of line. I have also told a buyer to keep a $30 coin and sent him what he bought after I sent him the wrong coin in error.

You have to stand up for what you believe in, if you think you were right and this guy is trying to hustle you, just take the loss and be happy he isn't somehow profiting from it. >>

I agree 100%, he's a dealer and knows the score and the game.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?

• << <i>I sold a sealed mtb set for buy it now and this is what he says after he recieved them.

Looking at the original invoice,i feel you asked too much for the coins.one of the coins has a scrath on the obverse side. it is the mount hood coin.Item I received is not as described.I was supposed to get this item "unopened as received",but they came in individual paper bags.they were already opened.one coin, the mount hood has a scratch on it. >>

According to his definition, there is no such thing as "unopened"!
    I feel sorry for you.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

• << <i>I sold a sealed mtb set for buy it now and this is what he says after he recieved them.

Looking at the original invoice,i feel you asked too much for the coins.one of the coins has a scrath on the obverse side. it is the mount hood coin.Item I received is not as described.I was supposed to get this item "unopened as received",but they came in individual paper bags.they were already opened.one coin, the mount hood has a scratch on it. >>

This is just amazing......Why are so many losers buying these.....It's not like they're buying beanie babies...we're talking big bucks and these cretins have no clue. What got them into this???

• << <i>I explained that I shipped them just as I received them from FT and he responded with this

"Thank you for your response; I was not aware that any distributor sent the coins as such; I've purchased around 20 sets now, most have come in airtites, some already seen by PCGS as First Strikes. Your offer is fair, but I was thinking more like the bullion value of the coins - 5 oz at $30 an ounce or $150 a coin, not $300. That is the true value as far as I am concerned and that is what NCS would base the cost on. So 4% of $750 would be $30 - if that is ok with you, then just refund that and we're good to with five star positive feedback from me to you.

Thanks - I'd avoid purchasing from that distributor in the future if I were you - A-Mark sends them already encased by PCGS or APMEX in the air-ties - same price and no plastic or tape goo.

Regards,"

I thought it was better to lost $30.00 than to have to pay another $50.00 fee to resell them and receive neg. FB.

I offered him 4% of what he paid which was $61.00. He responded with an offer of 4% of bullion price so he was fair but you are right he is a dealer >>

That is ridiculous. Make sure the username makes it to the blocked bidder thread.

I agree with Jesse---it's the principle of the matter. If these guys keep getting away with it, they're just going to move onto the next honest guy with no end. Sometimes, though, you really have no choice but to roll over.
  • I sold a sealed mtb set for buy it now and this is what he says after he recieved them. Looking at the original invoice,i feel you asked too much for the coins.one of the coins has a scrath on the obverse side. it is the mount hood coin.Item I received is not as described.I was supposed to get this item "unopened as received",but they came in individual paper bags.they were already opened.one coin, the mount hood has a scratch on it.

It is starting to sound there are two types of problem buyers on these. Buyers that really don't know what they are doing and then unscrupulous dealers looking to extort the less experienced flippers.

Do you have an auction link?
  • The problem really isn't even "unexperienced flippers." No matter how experienced you are, the odds are not in your favor when it comes to unscrupulous buyers. eBay has given them such an upper hand, there's not much you can do---except not play their game and get hit with negatives.

Fortunately, with the ATBs, prices are not falling as fast anymore. If you're selling now, there's a good chance that if you get hit with a problem buyer you can refuse to play their game, get your coins back, and resell them for about the same price as before to someone not on the growing blocked list. I guess it boils down to whether you think your account can take a negative or not.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

But in the case with opened sealed boxes, aren't you concerned that the original coins may have been swapped out?

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why are so many losers buying these.....It's not like they're buying beanie babies...we're talking big bucks and these cretins have no clue. What got them into this??? >>

Do you even need to ask?

A quick buck. These are the same guys buying MIB toys at the local Target. The same guys pushing in front of your 8 year old and buying up all the "hottest" toy for the Holidays.....

I will not sell to any of these characters.

Sell for a few bucks less and no headaches to a dealer. All you get is headaches with these characters. MCM was paying 1400 for sets. Not sealed. Open. Done.

So instead you try to SQUEEEEZE the last 50 out of the sale and you get in a deal with one of these toothless characters. I can say nothing more.

This is why an issue like this is a problem, not only with the TONS of NEW FLIPPERS that probably dont have a CLUE themselves, to these bottom feeders trying to SCORE on ebay.....and take the seller for a ride.

• << <i>My question is, what is the residue he was talking about, die polish? I looked at them before I shipped them and did not see any foreign substance on them. >>

I'm guessing it's the die polish on the mirrored surface. If you look at the surface at an angle, it looks a bit like a film or haze. I'd say 80% of my coins from the APs have it to some degree.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file