Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Amark. They had polish lines and very deep mirrors.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I am anxiously awaiting mine.

• << <i><<Those that have received MTB's, I have heard about some rolling around in the box but has anyone had coins arrive damaged, rim dings or scratches from MTB due to packaging? Thanks, expecting mine Tuesday. >>

Nope...your MTB's sjould be fine...as they were also packed in round, hard plastic holders.

However, my Fidelitrade's were a complete wreck as they were only in baggies...that broke loose and destroyed each other...completely ungradable! >>

Thanks, wasn't sure how good the plastic holders were. Sorry about your FTrade's.

• << <i>Question to the peanut gallery...

What are you doing with your dinged, rim damaged and coins with significant hits? I myself have five.

Holding them, melting them, or playing hockey with them? >>

How about colorizing them? I would love to see these in a 3" size.

http://www.thepatrioticmint.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productid=92
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i> I notice a few coins had a nick on the upper lip of George. >>

I did not see anyone answer this, so I thought might actually be able to contribute to the thread.

I have seen this on multiple sets from different suppliers. It varies from a cleft pallet, to barely noticable. I do not think it is a nick or ding as it appears in so many examples. I am sure the experienced collectors on this site who have seen many sets can give you a better rundown on this error/atribute.

How about some of the other problems?
    George's cheek blemish has been discussed multiple times, as has the "doubling".
    I haven't seen much discussion of the crush problem. I have seen multiple coins with a wrickled area just inside the outer edge. Sometimes it goes all the way around the coin and is up to 3/8 inch wide, and other times it is very slight and does not go all the way around the coin.

What others have you found?

• << <i>

<< <i> I notice a few coins had a nick on the upper lip of George. >>

I did not see anyone answer this, so I thought might actually be able to contribute to the thread.

I have seen this on multiple sets from different suppliers. It varies from a cleft pallet, to barely noticable. I do not think it is a nick or ding as it appears in so many examples. I am sure the experienced collectors on this site who have seen many sets can give you a better rundown on this error/atribute.

How about some of the other problems?
    George's cheek blemish has been discussed multiple times, as has the "doubling".
    I haven't seen much discussion of the crush problem. I have seen multiple coins with a wrickled area just inside the outer edge. Sometimes it goes all the way around the coin and is up to 3/8 inch wide, and other times it is very slight and does not go all the way around the coin.

What others have you found? >>

I have 3 sets and have 3 georges with the fat lip almost all coins have some degree of the wrinkled or stress around the outer edge or around the lettering. Have noticed many ms69`s with the stress marks anyone seen 69`s with a fat lip?
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This morning I emailed Fedelitrade to inquire about the status of my order. I had received my order confirmation on 1/25/11 but hadn't heard anything since. This afternoon at 2 PM the FedEx man dropped off my set. It looks MUCH nicer than my AMARK set. The obverses are quite mirrored and there are none of the die polish lines that are so prominent on the set I received from AMARK...especially the Hot Springs. The coins were packaged in the little bubblewrap holders but the envelope packaging was very tight and kept any of the coins from sliding around.

• Are we at 10k yet?
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Does pcgs only grade pucks one day a week or do they just update the pops one day? They stay the same for days then take a jump.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does pcgs only grade pucks one day a week or do they just update the pops one day? They stay the same for days then take a jump. >>

They update all pops on Sunday.

• << <i>Are we at 10k yet? >>

Is that your issue price guess for the "Collector's Version"???? image

• << <i>

<< <i>Are we at 10k yet? >>

Is that your issue price guess for the "Collector's Version"???? image >>

It'd be my guess for a MS69PL Set (10-15k). (I was talking about 10k posts).
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭
    I also have the top lip problem on most of mine.

Question about the PCGS holders.

I also have found my Fidelitrade to be more PL than A-mark.

However, could this be due to the holder. Maybe the raw coin just looks better than looking at one through the plastic.

• Does anyone know where to buy a cheap pair of gloves to handle coins with, I'd rather not buy over the internet. Would any plain ole cotton gloves work or is there a recommended type by anyone. Thank alot!!

On a side note how do I add my own custom avatar pic, I can only select from a list of what seems to be user's pics which is kinda lame.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know where to buy a cheap pair of gloves to handle coins with, I'd rather not buy over the internet. Would any plain ole cotton gloves work or is there a recommended type by anyone. Thank alot!!

On a side note how do I add my own custom avatar pic, I can only select from a list of what seems to be user's pics which is kinda lame. >>

Cotton Gloves would work. Walgeens or CVS carry them.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Here are the 3 basic things you will need for handling your sets:

1. Cotton Gloves (soft/thin cotton). The thin cotton will help you handle the coin better.
    2. Coin Mat- Soft/Clean surface Absorbs impact of the coin if it is dropped.
    3. Coin Tweezers (rubber tipped). The rubber tip will help to prevent damage to the coin.

If you don't have these, get some clean 100% cotton tshirts and make it work.
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Got the DG set today.

Surfaces look good on all 5.

All 5 have small rim dings/nicks.

These will not be sent out to be graded. I don't believe that they will do well.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • i got my Amark and ftrade coins in this week. most looked very nice with the exception on one from ftrade that had a few contact on obverse devices. i did notice one or two had the "chapped lips", the die polish lines and the odd finish near the rims like many noted. they are on the way to PCGS. i`ll post grades when i get them.image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

• Wizard just got more Z5's in. Pretty cheap if you get 10 @ $1.43 ea.

Air-Tites

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got the DG set today.

Surfaces look good on all 5.

All 5 have small rim dings/nicks.

These will not be sent out to be graded. I don't believe that they will do well. >>

Yeah, once I got the cotton gloves out and perused my DG 5 OZ in detail, they don't look spectacular. They look dirty, like there are surface contaminants on them or something, which seems strange, they don't look like the other pucks I've received.

I did not notice any rim dings / nicks, etc. No cotton glove hang -ups, etc.

One puck from DG, can't remember which park type, has a white plastic tube scratch on the reverse. An up and down V shape parallel to the rim. The rest of the pucks look good, just not spectacular.

As it stands right now I'm going for the fifteen puck Amark, Ftrade, DG 2010 grading submission to either PCGS or NGC. Let the chips fall where they may.

In the end I may regret the submission, but I got to know.

I think 2, 3, 5 7 years from now, even an MS66 or 67 PCGS 2010 bullion puck is going to have some "huevos".
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wizard just got more Z5's in. Pretty cheap if you get 10 @ $1.43 ea.

Air-Tites >>

The link has a notify me button when they come available. Did they sell out again?

• They've been out of stock. About 2 hours ago they notified me they had more available. Never underestimate the pulling power of this thread, I guess.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    The Heavy Hitters can likely gettem now at air-tites.com, if they can come up with the required extra 90 cents per set vs. the wizard price...image

• That's where mine came from. The Wiz was sold out when I needed them. My MTBs
    arrived yesterday & my Amarks finally got in today. Haven't opened either. I like the
    idea of keeping a sealed box of A-Marks in the back of a closet & forgetting about
    them. Thought I'd be more curious about looking at them. I think I'm burned out.
    Puck overload. image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    But this party is just getting started....
    This year alone, we still have 2-3 AP's who have yet to sell bullion 2010 sets in quantity, 10 different numismatic versions, 5 more 2011 bullion versions

Good times!
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Depending on the price and how much hassle it will be I will try to get a set of the P mint 2010's but I am not interest in the 2011's.
  • I've seen a few similar comparisons in other threads, but I thought I'd post a few of the most current price comparisons here. In a nutshell, this is getting crazy:

Cost for 25 2011 ASEs from APMEX as of late 2/18: $916 before shipping.
    Cost of 5- 5oz silver bars from APMEX as of late 2/18: $878 before shipping.

Cost of 25 oz. of silver ATB set from MTB (early this week): $885 (including "commission") before shipping.

Because of the Mint stipulations, if any APs sold today they'd be selling the ATBs at prices competing with silver bars from APMEX.

Will the Mint allow the APs to sell at prices that follow bullion? The APs, I'm sure, want to know.

FYI--this is the stipulation I'm referring to:

"Authorized Purchasers may charge to their customers a price no higher than ten percent above the price at which the Authorized Purchasers acquire 2010 America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins from the United States Mint. Authorized Purchasers may charge their customers a reasonable shipping and handling fee; however, Authorized Purchasers may not charge any other fee, premium, or other expense to their customers to circumvent this ten-percent markup limitation. The intention of this condition is to ensure that members of the public can obtain these coins at a reasonable and affordable purchase price."

I don't know if we'll see any of the remaining APs sell until this is resolved or silver takes another dip.

I'm personally torn. It's silly to me that they can't track bullion prices. They were supposed to be a bullion coin. On the other hand, I think it's clear that the Mint intended for a quick and fair sale and not something drawn out where large differences in spot would be in play.

What a circus.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • 69's ........sell or hold? Any thoughts?
  • MTB had these listed a few days ago? where on their site were they listed?
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>69's ........sell or hold? Any thoughts? >>

Definitely hold!

Quick Pink - say something! 666! image

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>

<< <i>69's ........sell or hold? Any thoughts? >>

Definitely hold!

Quick Pink - say something! 666! image >>

Yeah, saw that too. Quickly posted elsewhere...

Well speak of the devil! image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • So hearing about this lip thing I checked my A-Marks...all but Mt. Hood have the mark on the upper lip.
  • I think it would be fun, and quite a challenge, to collect a complete set of PL pucks. And you'd have something really neat to look at.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>MTB had these listed a few days ago? where on their site were they listed? >>

Simply call them. They are saying March but if you get someone in a good mood they will sell you a set. The guy I spoke to last week said they had plenty. Mine shipped the day after my wire transfer even though they said over four weeks for shipping. Due on Tuesday image

<< <i>So hearing about this lip thing I checked my A-Marks...all but Mt. Hood have the mark on the upper lip. >>

Just checked my FTrades. Only 2 have the tiniest of marks on the upper lip. Didn't notice it before. Easy to miss without a loupe. Otherwise, they sure are pretty! They seem to be getting a little more mirror like every time I look at them. Guess maybe I might just have to open the others to compare. We'll see. image

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>So hearing about this lip thing I checked my A-Marks...all but Mt. Hood have the mark on the upper lip. >>

Three out of 5 of my a-marks had the upper lip gouge. Clear with naked eye, cant miss it with a loop.

• << <i>MTB had these listed a few days ago? where on their site were they listed? >>

I know they were taking orders as late as Tuesday of this week. You have to call.

• << <i>

<< <i>So hearing about this lip thing I checked my A-Marks...all but Mt. Hood have the mark on the upper lip. >>

Just checked my FTrades. Only 2 have the tiniest of marks on the upper lip. Didn't notice it before. Easy to miss without a loupe. Otherwise, they sure are pretty! They seem to be getting a little more mirror like every time I look at them. Guess maybe I might just have to open the others to compare. We'll see. image >>

Funny thing...I would have sworn that none of mine had mirrored surfaces, but just realized that 2 are very mirrored and one is pretty good. Still some polish marks so definetely not anything like a PL but fun to see some reflection.
  • NM.

• << <i>I don't know if we'll see any of the remaining APs sell until this is resolved or silver takes another dip >>

SO why didn't they sell them a couple of weeks ago when the price hung around $27 for almost a week??? What are they waiting for....$15/oz.??? Good luck with that.

If they want really had any AND wanted to sell them they could put them in little bubble bags and tape them inside a bubble envelope a la FT.....It shouldn't take over 2 months to accomplish that.

There is more to the story than that and it will be interesting to see where it goes....

They own these coins so cheap that they can afford to hold them until all this turmoil in the prices settles down and they can sell them for

whatever they want.
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭
    Well there's only 2 AP's that haven't 'sold' any to the public, us that is.

Jack Hunt and Coins and Things.

I'm sure Jack is going out the back door, why don't they just say so?

Coins and THings maybe in April.

Bottom line, No New Supply for the forceable future.

The bleeding on the prices will stop as the listings go away.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The bleeding on the prices will stop as the listings go away. >>

• << <i>The bleeding on the prices will stop as the listings go away. >>

I think the price bleeding in the raw sets has stopped. The graded ones are another issue since these are now getting back to people that submitted them and will be another wound to bleed.....

• << <i>
    There is more to the story than that and it will be interesting to see where it goes.... >>

For sure. But selling the coins for near spot is certainly not a motivating factor for those APs left to sell.

What the APs have done consistently is metering. I guess we'll probably see more of that....
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The bleeding on the prices will stop as the listings go away. >>

I think the price bleeding in the raw sets has stopped. The graded ones are another issue since these are now getting back to people that submitted them and will be another wound to bleed..... >>

Yep. There are thousands and thousands of these at NGC and PCGS right now. In a month they will be hitting eBay and then look out! I've never seen NGC so backed up in the many years I've been submitting moderns to them. If you are thinking about submitting these right now I would think twice about it.
  • Anyone have access to the NGC pop reports for 69PLs?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file