Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I cant see any reason to doubt the AMARK response

They used PCGS to slab, thats it.

Clearly it was easier to have them slab at a low price, rather than procure packaging and have their staff handle it. On the flip side, the customer was delighted to get PCGS slabs, PCGS is probably delighted that lots of these slabs will come back for full service grading, even at the $30 rate (no addtl for FS).

Everyone is happy.

AMARK is too big to worry about playing the grading game. Way to big.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I talked to Fidelitrade Linda, she said hold time for my personal check is ten business days and pucks ship after that. My check was cashed on Fri 1/21, so that puts the clear date as Fri 2/4, I speculate Ftrade ships the week after to me.

• << <i>I talked to Fidelitrade Linda, she said hold time for my personal checks is ten business days and pucks ship after that. My check was cashed on Fri 1/21, so that puts the clear date as Fri 2/4, I speculate Ftrade ships the week after to me. >>

Yup. Should ship via FedEx Saver on the 8th. (She told me that they are only shipping them on Tuesdays.)
    So, the fat lady sings a second tune then......

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I cant see any reason to doubt the AMARK response

They used PCGS to slab, thats it.

Clearly it was easier to have them slab at a low price, rather than procure packaging and have their staff handle it. On the flip side, the customer was delighted to get PCGS slabs, PCGS is probably delighted that lots of these slabs will come back for full service grading, even at the $30 rate (no addtl for FS).

Everyone is happy.

AMARK is too big to worry about playing the grading game. Way to big. >>

Comments removed. I was skeptical of A-Mark but a direct response from them and report on their condition makes me change my mind.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • I have to say the A-Mark coins were the best of all the full sets I received from the various APs. I can not find a mark, nik, or imperfection on any of them - no doubling either.

I was going to pull the best coins from all the sets to grade. All five of the A-Mark coins however were the best.

Best packaging by far as well!!!

All will go back to PCGS for grading.

WTG A-Mark and WTG PCGS!!!

• << <i>sf340flyer - Was your letter back actually signed by no one? Who exactly answered your letter? You have not shown that information? I had suggested previously in response to a number of comments here that Amark post publicly the answer to this question so there is a clear answer from someone "in the know".

Wondercoin >>

It was signed simply as A-Mark Direct and it came from the info@buyamericathebeautifulnow.com. Here is the exact message verbatim:

"Info [info@buyamericathebeautifulnow.com]Actions Monday, January 31, 2011 1:07 AM
    To: XXXXX

Hello XXXXX,

Regarding your question:
    · Did you ask PCGS to actually issue numerical grades at any level (like MS69 for instance)? Or, did you just have PCGS slab all of the coins as BU?
    No, we asked PCGS to slab all of the coins as Choice BU.

We are glad you received the coins without delay.

Thank you for your order,

A-Mark Direct"
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7over8 re dropping prices...

You know the Fat Lady will be singing when people on this board are attempting to CANCEL their Fidelitrade and A-Mark orders, and get refunds for yet undelivered coins!

That should happen, I'd guess, maybe Wednesday at 3:25PM this week!

But seriously, as long as each AP sale is mobbed, I'd say that will serve to put somewhat of a floor in prices...not necessarily prevent them from dropping from current levels, but will be supportive. However, if an AP is stuck with their inventory and no buyers...then look out below!

Which would then make me ask...is there any provision for an AP to return any unsold inventory to the Mint to be melted???
  • Still can't believe people are crying at a several hundred dollar profit...
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
    This thread has come to focus so much on profit and price that I have to wonder if anyone really likes the coin or just the money. Reminds me of professional sports.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Why are you panicking ? These coins are nearer to melt value that any of the W silver eagles will be when they come out and they are sure to

be a low mintage coin anyway you look at it. Is it just because you are only going to make a couple of hundred dollars instead of several

thousand .

Get real guys !
    You answered your own question Sponge

Not enough COLLECTOR interest

Just FLIPPER interest.

We all knew this would happen. There is no way that there was that much hysteria from collectors alone.

As for the FLIPPERS, even a few hundred dollar profit is fine, but these guys will give back a hundred or more to fees, mailing, etc. Joe six pack who knows nothing about buying these - except for showing up with money in his pocket, will not be satisified for a few hundred. They had their eyes on the prize, doubling their money or more. Look at some of the recent sales from some of these guys, TOY auctions, etc, no coins. They arent even remotely coin collectors.

Mark my words, once the price goes a little further south, the FLIPPERS will open the floodgates to get out.

I still say anything priced less than 1.5x issue is a bargain for the mintage level. It may fall farther, but im sure it'll firm up down the road.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd love to see the ATB program FLOP with a capital "F"...and be cancelled immediately.

Can you imagine if these hubcaps turned out to be a one-shot deal? Can you say Pan-Pacific gold coins?!?

<< <i>You answered your own question Sponge

Not enough COLLECTOR interest

Just FLIPPER interest.

We all knew this would happen. There is no way that there was that much hysteria from collectors alone.

As for the FLIPPERS, even a few hundred dollar profit is fine, but these guys will give back a hundred or more to fees, mailing, etc.

Mark my words, once the price goes a little further south, the FLIPPERS will open the floodgates to get out.

I still say anything priced less than 1.5x issue is a bargain for the mintage level. It may fall farther, but im sure it'll firm up down the road. >>

I still have faith that out there SOMEWHERE in the shadows are some who actually like these coins. Time will tell as usual.
    Lets just hope the TOY FLIPPERS dont show up for the USM Numismatic version and clog the PIPES.

You know those middle aged men lurking in the matchbox car aisle looking for the collector version.........to beat out the poor kid who is 8 looking for a cool car........my son was one of the 8 year olds years ago and i couldnt believe these guys........I had to step in and have a little discussion with one of them

<< <i>Personally, I'd love to see the ATB program FLOP with a capital "F"...and be cancelled immediately.

Can you imagine if these hubcaps turned out to be a one-shot deal? Can you say Pan-Pacific gold coins?!? >>

We can dream but I don't think it could happen. This is legislated by law so the Mint has no control. If they could, the Spouse program would have been canned already.

<< <i>Lets just hope the TOY FLIPPERS dont show up for the USM Numismatic version and clog the PIPES.

You know those middle aged men lurking in the matchbox car aisle looking for the collector version.........to beat out the poor kid who is 8 looking for a cool car........my son was one of the 8 year olds years ago and i couldnt believe these guys........I had to step in and have a little discussion with one of them >>

LOL, I can picture that. Pathetic.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, there's a good chance of the ATB program tailing off quite a bit over the next couple years, as the first batch of easy marks turn sour after they see what has just happened to them.

Unfortunately, the same group of hypsters and insiders have got a taste of fast money, so they will be out en force with every new release - and for every new release, there will be another batch of easy marks and uninformed pigeons who won't know what they're buying.

The hype will be "LQQK!!! THEY QUADRUPLED THEIR MONEY IN JUST 4 WEEKS! WIN THOUSANDS!!!image

And just as unfortunately, the Mint will have geared up and produced a few hundred thousand of each coin in 2011, insuring that a sellout does not happen. And Bam! A second batch of soured buyers for this coming year.

Even if a rapidly rising price of silver bails out the ones who bought at outrageous premiums, it will also begin to limit the number of new entrants into this series and I expect that mintages in Year 3 and Year 4 to drop off impressively.

The thing to watch for is a total lack of interest in these coins sometime around July-August of 2013.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Just received my coins from A-Mark. Packaging is unbelievable, much better than APMEX. Each coin is excellent, at least 68 if not 69. I thought I was going to sell them, but I am going to have them graded and hold on to them.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody have any action out of MTB lately? Any recent deliveries? If so, how long after your check cleared?

My check to MTB cleared on 1/13, so my set should be on it's way soon. As for my A-Mark set, it is still listed as "Package not due for delivery" on the Fed Ex site - the package has been at the Carlsbad depot since last Friday morning. Looks like they are going to hold it until the actual guaranteed date of Feb 1...image
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread has come to focus so much on profit and price that I have to wonder if anyone really likes the coin or just the money. Reminds me of professional sports. >>

That's what it is all about!! This is a typical flipper thread. Notice all the new members who only joined in the last 60 days? Most of them will never post again after this flip goes down in flames. It's all about the money to most who have posted the crap out of this thread. I don't hold any grudge to making money. Good for them! But I've noticed a marked swing in this thread as the prices have swung lower. It's just the beginning and as I have said all along I predict these hitting $1100 and that's not far off as thousands get their AMARK and Fidelitrade coins and flood eBay. I hope some of the flippers hang around and start collecting real coinsimage

• << <i>sf340flyer - Was your letter back actually signed by no one? Who exactly answered your letter? You have not shown that information? I had suggested previously in response to a number of comments here that Amark post publicly the answer to this question so there is a clear answer from someone "in the know".

Wondercoin >>

May I suggest that you contact them and request a blood sample to do dna to identify the responder. After that, you could request the responder take a lie detector test. Or you could maybe, just give it a rest.
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>sf340flyer - Was your letter back actually signed by no one? Who exactly answered your letter? You have not shown that information? I had suggested previously in response to a number of comments here that Amark post publicly the answer to this question so there is a clear answer from someone "in the know".

Wondercoin >>

May I suggest that you contact them and request a blood sample to do dna to idenify the responder. After that, you could request the responder take a lie detector test. Or you could maybe, just give it a rest. >>

wow, new members dis'n the highly respected...not good
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>sf340flyer - Was your letter back actually signed by no one? Who exactly answered your letter? You have not shown that information? I had suggested previously in response to a number of comments here that Amark post publicly the answer to this question so there is a clear answer from someone "in the know".

Wondercoin >>

May I suggest that you contact them and request a blood sample to do dna to idenify the responder. After that, you could request the responder take a lie detector test. Or you could maybe, just give it a rest. >>

all wondercoin is asking for is a name (and preferably an upper management member) to affirm their statement, not an unreasonable request.... since he is one of the most respected modern members of this board i would choose my words carefully before you make statements like this......

jmho
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Wondercoin >>

Does Wondercoin think A-mark cherry picked?

• << <i>Just received my coins from A-Mark. Packaging is unbelievable, much better than APMEX. Each coin is excellent, at least 68 if not 69. I thought I was going to sell them, but I am going to have them graded and hold on to them. >>

Just got mine and they are great looking beasts.....Packaging is superb...Definitely going to be graded..

• << <i>all wondercoin is asking for is a name (and preferably an upper management member) to affirm their statement, not an unreasonable request.... since he is one of the most respected modern members of this board i would choose my words carefully before you make statements like this......

jmho >>

I agree. It would have been much nicer if A-Mark just simply posted this on their website.

At first, I thought for sure A-Mark must have cherrypicked, but now I'm 99% sure they didn't. I think they handled it the best. Also, I don't think I'll be flipping mine anytime soon. I thought about it for a minute when the prices went crazy, but then I realized I bought these to have, not sell. Although, I do not blame anyone who sells their sets...even if it dips $1100 it's still a profit.
  • When I look at my coins, A-Mark did not cherrypick. They are all great coins!

• << <i>When I look at my coins, A-Mark did not cherrypick. They are all great coins! >>

I agree - A-Mark had the highest quality coins of all APs thus far!!!
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Anybody have any action out of MTB lately? Any recent deliveries? If so, how long after your check cleared?

I'm curious also...My checked cleared the 14th-a day after yours.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    Even if these tank, they are still 25 oz of silver. My APMEX coins were $36/oz and my A-Mark $39. ASE's are in the $32 range. So a $100-$150 premium.

As for A-Mark grading all these, I wonder if the Mint obtaining authorization to make a smaller diameter puck entered into the decision. If A-Mark was going to spend $1.50 for each AirTite, pay someone to put the puck in the container then assemble the set, it makes sense to pay PCGS $5 or so to get them slabbed AND PCGS gets rid of a bunch of their slabs that might have been obsolete had the Mint changed diameters. Just a thought...

• << <i>

<< <i>

Wondercoin >>

wow, new members dis'n the highly respected...not good >>

Six posts since Oct 2006. I don't speak a lot, but when I do, I speak Dos Equis. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • I read a post a couple of pages back about the doubling in the Yellowstone park name...

Look at E Pluribus Unum on this AMark set (apologies in advance for this on the fly hand held shot :

I hope some of the flippers hang around and start collecting real coinsimage >>

That is the good side to the hated flipper situation. I suspect a fraction of flippers looking for the money will actually become real collectors in the process. Some just do it to help offset the cost of their collection. Either way it is a win/win.

• A-Mark was delivered to my P.O.box today.
    Shipped in a slotted padded box inside a flat
    rate box. For sure they will be regraded. They
    look great. Thank you A-Mark. Did not know they
    were coming.

The PCGS oversized slab is nice.

My AM order # was 18xx for those still waiting.

• << <i>Anybody have any action out of MTB lately? Any recent deliveries? If so, how long after your check cleared?

My check to MTB cleared on 1/13, so my set should be on it's way soon. As for my A-Mark set, it is still listed as "Package not due for delivery" on the Fed Ex site - the package has been at the Carlsbad depot since last Friday morning. Looks like they are going to hold it until the actual guaranteed date of Feb 1...image >>

I got my MTB box today, I sent a wire transfer on the 20th of January!!!! Woot woot Now debating if I should open the box or not...
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The thing to watch for is a total lack of interest in these coins sometime around July-August of 2013. >>

Mine occured in January of 2010. I suppose I'm not patient enough. image
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A-Mark was delivered to my P.O.box today.
    Shipped in a slotted padded box inside a flat
    rate box. For sure they will be regraded. They
    look great. Thank you A-Mark. Did not know they
    were coming.

The PCGS oversized slab is nice.

My AM order # was 18xx for those still waiting. >>

Good news....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Good news to hear some AMark coins are nicer than expected.

Cool doubling. Nice pic.
  • Whoa! Weird error!

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

• Personally, I feel that a good amount of the folks posting here like the coins and want to keep some. But when the profits are so high, it feels silly to hold when you know you can get more later. I still hold by my theory that when prices crash hard, strong arms will snag them and prices will go back up over time. >>

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope some of the flippers hang around and start collecting real coins >>

<< <i>it feels silly to hold when you know you can get more later. >>

• I knew that I wouldn't be home to sign for my A-Mark package so I went on Fedex's web site and saw an option to redirect the shipment to one of their locations. I selected that option and had it sent to a location near my office so I can pick them up after work. The Fedex location actually called me to let me know that the package arrived and that they would hold it there for up to 5 days.

I think I got good service from Fedex!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!

• << <i>I hope some of the flippers hang around and start collecting real coinsimage >>

That is the good side to the hated flipper situation. I suspect a fraction of flippers looking for the money will actually become real collectors in the process. Some just do it to help offset the cost of their collection. Either way it is a win/win. >>

Thank you, Coinsponge, for the glass-is-half-full approach. I think there are a lot of younger/new to collecting folks interested in these--for flipping and collecting. And I think some will stick around for the collecting part. Why should it matter if they're collecting these or bust halves? Bust halves are cool, but they're not exactly adding numbers of collectors to the hobby. These have a much better chance.

And why the hate? Am I going to go to a Morgan dollar thread and complain that they're not real? To each his own, folks.

Personally, I feel that this series, 5 oz. aside, is the best thing the Mint has thought up in years. I love it. I just wish the designs were a bit better.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the AMark coins are First Strike PCGS BU, is there a time limit to have them regraded/reholded with a number grade?
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I knew that I wouldn't be home to sign for my A-Mark package so I went on Fedex's web site and saw an option to redirect the shipment to one of their locations. I selected that option and had it sent to a location near my office so I can pick them up after work. The Fedex location actually called me to let me know that the package arrived and that they would hold it there for up to 5 days.

I think I got good service from Fedex! >>

I'm trying but I"m not finding the way to redirect fedex to hold the package. Do you have to have an account?

Hmm...I'm guessing you have to wait until after they try to deliver it.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I knew that I wouldn't be home to sign for my A-Mark package so I went on Fedex's web site and saw an option to redirect the shipment to one of their locations. I selected that option and had it sent to a location near my office so I can pick them up after work. The Fedex location actually called me to let me know that the package arrived and that they would hold it there for up to 5 days.

I think I got good service from Fedex! >>

I'm trying but I"m not finding the way to redirect fedex to hold the package. Do you have to have an account?

Hmm...I'm guessing you have to wait until after they try to deliver it. >>

I had to do this friday, no one home, and was hoping to get them to redirect it to a fedex store. Got it redirected , but had to wait until today to pick it up, that was a bummer
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received from Fidelitrade -

--America the Beautiful Silver Coin Update--

We continue to process orders for the ATB program. Unfortunately, many people attempted to circumvent the 1 set per household policy. This has slowed down our review and compliance process because we must check all possible permutations of name, address, etc. However, we remain dedicated to distributing the coins as broadly and as quickly as possible. We will not cash checks unless the corresponding order is accepted. We will send individual emails confirming a) receipt of orders, b) acceptance of orders and c) shipment of orders. Regarding packaging, the coins have been a) carefully removed from the original mint boxes and tubes (we use soft gloves and non-abrasive surfaces), b) individually placed in small bubble-wrap envelopes, c) the set placed in a fiberboard envelope, and d) the envelope sealed in a FedEx Bubble Pak. We expect to begin shipping via FedEx Express Saver service in the first half of February.

We thank you for your business and patience.
    FideliTrade Incorporated
  • Mine arrived a day early! They are sweet and do not look cherry-picked! Maybe I'll get the first MS70! image

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

AMARK's quality of coins is all over the place.

Those responding are positive, i've seen and heard of bagmarked coins and die wear (die striations all over the surfaces)

So, some good, some bad.

Mine arent that bad. But for me, MTB quality was better

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file