Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• << <i>Yesterday, 3 ebay auctions for a Grand Canyon puck ended within hours of each other. All were graded MS69. The 2 NGC's sold for $799 and $810. The PCGS sold for $2601. All 3 sellers were seasoned dealers.

NGC MS69 $799

NGC MS69 $810

PCGS MS69 $2601

How can a PCGS label possibly be worth TRIPLE???
    Can the recently announced NGC PL grade have anything to do with this price disparity?? image >>

A quick, unscientific completed listings search gives 15 PCGS 69 items and 60 NGC 69 items. Not having seen a population report lately, I don't know what the real populations are (some have speculated that there is a high number of NGC 69s out there are just due to early AP cherrypicking).

EDIT...grammar...
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'd say it's because NGC is more generous with the grades, whereas PCGS is more conservative...JMHO
  • ...and a PCGS MS 68 sold for $675 ...(MT.Hood)

• << <i>Question - What's the story on Fidelitrade ship dates? Anyone know? Is Fidelitrade holding personal checks for a pre-determined amount of time before shipping like MTB?

I received order confirmation from Ftrade 1/20 + my personal check cashed 1/21. It's now 1/29 and no further word from the Ftrade operation.

The order acceptance email I received from Ftrade is dated 1/21 and it says shipment is "Please allow up to four weeks for your coins to arrive." which puts ATB set delivery no later than Feb. 18 - 22?

Is there a Fidelitrade hold time on personal check orders for ATB sets? If so, how long? >>

I received my order acceptance email from fidelitrade yesterday and it said to expect shipment in the next 4 weeks via fedX supersaver.
    Gary
  • BigDaddyz, you need to give a tutorial on how to take photos like that. Those are fantastic images.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I like smirkingchamp's better. I did mine with a Dino-lite I got off ebay.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

It certainly appears that as soon as a higher grade coin is discovered, everything below that falls in value, while the value of the new higher grade soars.
    Here's an NGC MS69 PL Yellowstone from yesterday - $3000.

NGC MS69 PL

Getting the PL designation more than TRIPLED the coin's value!
    Makes one wonder how many PL's are out there right now,
    either sitting in PCGS sets or in ungraded sets!
    (A-Mark's come to mind!) image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
    Here's a few more trying to get a good sample of the doubling on this thing.

Link to a zip with more...7 megs worth
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I think we are seeing evidence of the difficulty they had striking these coins to the quality of the US Mint. Probably why they didn't have 100000 of each design. Moy must have been preocupied so much with the making of these that he didn't have time to give the distribution situation much thought.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    I don't suppose PCGS has any PLs yet. They seem to be very stingy handing those out.
  • johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭

<< <i>It certainly appears that as soon as a higher grade coin is discovered, everything below that falls in value, while the value of the new higher grade soars.

NGC MS69 PL

(A-Mark's come to mind!) image >>

Yosemite GNC MS65 PL ER
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-5-Oz-America-Beautiful-Yosemite-NGC-MS65-PL-ER-/140505985192?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20b6cf30a8

same seller (Modern coin mart) also listing a 2 66's, 3 67's, 5 68's and about 8 MS69's all Proof like. Seems quite a lot of cherry picking for someones supply.

also do not understand how they think flooding like that is a good idea.

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the pics look like classic machine doubling to me. Nice pics guys.
    NGC's PL can be a marketing bonanza for them. Think about all the submissions they will be getting for those who can see themselves in their puck.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't suppose PCGS has any PLs yet. They seem to be very stingy handing those out. >>

I don't know of any UHRs that graded PL

I wonder if they even considered it, and I wonder if they even consider it for these.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't suppose PCGS has any PLs yet. They seem to be very stingy handing those out. >>

I wonder if they even considered it, and I wonder if they even consider it for these. >>

I do get the feeling that on some coins (bullion) they will not even consider it even if it technically qualifies. That is just my thinking right now.
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It certainly appears that as soon as a higher grade coin is discovered, everything below that falls in value, while the value of the new higher grade soars.

NGC MS69 PL

Yosemite GNC MS65 PL ER
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-5-Oz-America-Beautiful-Yosemite-NGC-MS65-PL-ER-/140505985192?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20b6cf30a8

same seller (Modern coin mart) also listing a 2 66's, 3 67's, 5 68's and about 8 MS69's all Proof like. Seems quite a lot of cherry picking for someones supply.

also do not understand how they think flooding like that is a good idea. >>

There are 5 Yosemite MS69 PL, not 8. We had some Yellowstone's up in various grades but had to end the auctions because we forgot to include 5oz in the title and the auctions weren't getting any action. Those will be re-launched this evening with the correction made.

No cherry picking. We bought coins, we have supply, this is what we do day in and day out. The PL's don't fit in for sets so they are on the bay.

As for flooding the market, these coins in all grades (except 70) are out there in quantity and that supply will continue to grow. If we were selling hundreds of singles and dozens of sets at the same time then maybe that could be called flooding. We sell for the most part on our website, but can't ignore eBay.

Thanks,
    John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS does not use PL designations on Bullion items. They also don't use PL designation on any moderns and only use PL on designated series such as Morgans......
  • johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

NGC MS69 PL

Yosemite GNC MS65 PL ER

There are 5 Yosemite MS69 PL, not 8. We had some Yellowstone's up in various grades but had to end the auctions because we forgot to include 5oz in the title and the auctions weren't getting any action. Those will be re-launched this evening with the correction made.

No cherry picking. We bought coins, we have supply, this is what we do day in and day out. The PL's don't fit in for sets so they are on the bay.

As for flooding the market, these coins in all grades (except 70) are out there in quantity and that supply will continue to grow. If we were selling hundreds of singles and dozens of sets at the same time then maybe that could be called flooding. We sell for the most part on our website, but can't ignore eBay.

Thanks,
    John >>

There are 9 NGC MS69 PL Yosemite's, all ending within 2 days. looks like the last 3 or 4 are from a different seller, so fair enough.

and IMO, listing more than 1-2 of the same High grade (supposedly very hard to find) coin, is flooding, but you are the pro so I will defer. I'd say proof will be how well that 3rd, 4th or 5th coin sells compared to the first two, ending within minutes. Hoping for you, there is a strong and deep market for them.

Can I ask how many sets you had to review/acquire, to get the 5 Yosemite 69's? thanks
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

NGC MS69 PL

Yosemite GNC MS65 PL ER

Thanks,
    John >>

There are 9 NGC MS69 PL Yosemite's, all ending within 2 days. looks like the last 3 or 4 are from a different seller, so fair enough.

and IMO, listing more than 1-2 of the same High grade (supposedly very hard to find) coin, is flooding, but you are the pro so I will defer. I'd say proof will be how well that 3rd, 4th or 5th coin sells compared to the first two, ending within minutes. Hoping for you, there is a strong and deep market for them.

Can I ask how many sets you had to review/acquire, to get the 5 Yosemite 69's? thanks >>

I think John kind of has some kind of an idea of what he's doing but I'm sure he appreciates your advice. 2 is hardly a flood and is possibly not even a miniscule fraction of a droplet...especially when you sell millions of coins every year...

• << <i>I like smirkingchamp's better. I did mine with a Dino-lite I got off ebay. >>

Thanks BD. Mine are from a flatbed scanner @ 300dpi.
  • Anyone have access to the pop reports? What percentage of NGC 67-69 are PL now?
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Yosemite GNC MS65 PL ER

Thanks,
    John >>

Can I ask how many sets you had to review/acquire, to get the 5 Yosemite 69's? thanks >>

-If these were rare I guess I would agree but I think "scarce" would be about as far as I would go and even that is questionable until more are graded. I'm sorry I won't give specifics on number acquired or submitted, other than to say it is a fraction of what we needed for a new issue, however I will say that of the coins we submitted, the first coins back had no PL's at all and the second group had a healthy number. None were cherry picked prior to submission to my knowledge. Perhaps the PL's will end up not being a big deal, or we jjust hit a run that had a bunch and got lucky. Who knows? I don't. It's too early to tell. Frankly I have no clue how to price them fairly which is a major consideration in not putting PL's on our website until the market is better established. For now, we will let ebayers tell us what they are worth. Like everything else when the first few hit the market they often bring moon money then things settle down. The $3000 numbers I saw on eBay for 69 PL's were indeed shocking, and I have no aspirations of getting anywhere near that.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

<< <i>

PCGS does not use PL designations on Bullion items. They also don't use PL designation on any moderns and only use PL on designated series such as Morgans...... >>

If that is so then too bad. Can't imagine why they would not do that if it technically met the standard.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I'd just like to say, anyone who thinks they are going to get NGC PL or a PCGS MS69 are dreaming.

Yea, you might get lucky, but the odds are against you.

So quit dreaming.

Just a little dose of reality for ya. image

• << <i>I'd just like to say, anyone who thinks they are going to get NGC PL or a PCGS MS69 are dreaming.

Yea, you might get lucky, but the odds are against you.

So quit dreaming.

Just a little dose of reality for ya. image >>

So how does that statement apply to the members that have already posted getting coins that have graded that high? They where probably dreaming and their dream came true?
  • My coins from A-Mark arrived in Memphis this afternoon. They are scheduled for delivery on 02/01/2011 (I'm 500 miles north of Memphis).

Date/Time Activity Location Details
    Jan 29, 2011 4:45 PM Arrived at FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN
    Jan 27, 2011 8:08 PM Left FedEx origin facility LOS ANGELES, CA
    Jan 27, 2011 4:41 PM Picked up LOS ANGELES, CA

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Second, I just love this from p.62 under the section "Policy Violations?": "Coin World contacted the Mint for comment on the situation. Gordon Hume, the Mint's deputy director of public affairs, stated, "The United States Mint has no evidence that the Authorized Purchasers are violating the terms and conditions of the program."

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??? HOW INCOMPETENT can they be??? HOW many folks have emailed/called/faxed info regarding GC bulk sales?? Just amazing. Only the Govt. >>

I dunno...I'm not surprised. They don't have any hard evidence in hand--that would require an audit. They're being careful to avoid libelous statements, probably. Pretty lame fed-talk BS statement though. Maybe the subtle wink to the reporter didn't make it to print. >>

I meant that they have plenty of evidence that should lead to an audit. Such action would not take long and would likely lead to rapid findings of gross violations of the agreement. >>

I was probably being nitpicky. Maybe the USM hasn't come up with a strategy yet or is not ready to publicly acknowledge that there is a strategy. Or perhaps there will be no strategy. If there is a strategy, it'd be better for them not to announce it. At least not yet, and probably not until they start knocking on some AP doors.

Mind games. I guess we'll see if the bluff clouds from the APs and the bluff cloud from the Mint amount to anything. >>

I would think that an audit of the worst offenders like GC would yield quick and definitive results and quick action to show that the USM is serious and to serve as a warning to the other APs. >>

There is certainly enough of a case for an audit. They need to quit the bluffgame, and put some folks on a plane to Springfield. It would show the APs they are serious, and it would show the public, the taxpayers, that they are looking into their best interest. Seems like a win-win for the general public to me. >>

Very well stated. So true. Boggles the mind that this has not occured yet.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    mine is also in memphis. normally when fedex is in memphis, we get it the next day. With this 'saver' thing...probably not
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My coins from A-Mark arrived in Memphis this afternoon. They are scheduled for delivery on 02/01/2011 (I'm 500 miles north of Memphis).

image >>

The PO box shipping is killing me on this.....I wonder how long registered will take.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

• << <i>

<< <i>I got a set from mtb...Im not overly excited about the gradeability.
    First of all, hot springs has several tick marks and a couple of tiny scratches. The obverse really has a lot of tiny lines maybe die polish. Lots.
    Another one has a scratch on it.
    One looks pretty good except for the pictured issues below. Anyone know how this would affect grade? I don't know if its strike-through or if the planchet was damages or what. It seems to run under the letters, so its not just a scuff. Lots of doubling on the reverse of this one. I see doubling on the reverse of 3 of these...mostly on the park name itself.

image >>

Can't quite tell from the photos.... but it does look like that doubling may have notching.... which would indicate a doubled die. Almost looks like a tripled die. >>

Most of these have machine doubling, and some have tripling.

There was an article published in Numismatic News online Jan 20th (I assume it will be in the next print version) that addresses this issue.

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=17345

I would like to think that these will have some extra value, but since most have them, I am guessing that it won't add anything to the value.

Mine have lots of them. A few pics attached.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Machine doubling does not add value unfortunately.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
    nice pics

<< <i>

I wonder if they even considered it, and I wonder if they even consider it for these. >>

There have been many PL UHRs on Ebay. They bring about $2500 for 69s and have brought well over $4K for 70s.

<< <i>Yesterday, 3 ebay auctions for a Grand Canyon puck ended within hours of each other. All were graded MS69. The 2 NGC's sold for $799 and $810. The PCGS sold for $2601. All 3 sellers were seasoned dealers.

NGC MS69 $799

NGC MS69 $810

PCGS MS69 $2601

Can the recently announced NGC PL grade have anything to do with this price disparity?? image >>

Holy Cow!

I have a Yos. in PCGS MS96FS. It currently has a PCGS pop of 2. The lowest percentage of 69s. I could likely get over - if not well over - $3K for it. I really want to assemble a PCGS69 set. I think that I will have it when my current submissions are back. On the other hand, it's a lot of $ that will likely go way down when more are graded. What do do???

• << <i>

<< <i>My coins from A-Mark arrived in Memphis this afternoon. They are scheduled for delivery on 02/01/2011 (I'm 500 miles north of Memphis).

image >>

The PO box shipping is killing me on this.....I wonder how long registered will take. >>

first class = snailmail so....

registered = fossilmailimage

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

• << <i>

<< <i>Yesterday, 3 ebay auctions for a Grand Canyon puck ended within hours of each other. All were graded MS69. The 2 NGC's sold for $799 and $810. The PCGS sold for $2601. All 3 sellers were seasoned dealers.

NGC MS69 $799

NGC MS69 $810

PCGS MS69 $2601

Holy Cow!

I have a Yos. in PCGS MS96FS. It currently has a PCGS pop of 2. The lowest percentage of 69s. I could likely get over - if not well over - $3K for it. I really want to assemble a PCGS69 set. I think that I will have it when my current submissions are back. On the other hand, it's a lot of $ that will likely go way down when more are graded. What do do??? >>

I say sell now and buy one back later when the pop of MS69s have increased.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>

I have a Yos. in PCGS MS96FS. It currently has a PCGS pop of 2. The lowest percentage of 69s. I could likely get over - if not well over - $3K for it. I really want to assemble a PCGS69 set. I think that I will have it when my current submissions are back. On the other hand, it's a lot of $ that will likely go way down when more are graded. What do do??? >>

It's still only 2? Wow. Tough call, R. That number will certainly jump...
    Thanks for the advice. I see that a PCGS Yos. 69FS went for $3800 on 1/21. Perhaps I'll try a BIN at $3900 and if it sells so be it, I'll buy another. If not no worries. Have to decide soon. Thanks for your comments!!

I see that a PCGS MS69 Ystone. just brought $2700.

Edited: I see that a Yos. is up now at $5000 OBO with an honest listing. I'll see how it does.

• Has anybody with an A-Mark confirm # above 2000 received a shipping notice yet?

• << <i>Thanks for the advice. I see that a PCGS Yos. 69FS went for $3800 on 1/21. Perhaps I'll try a BIN at $3900 and if it sells so be it, I'll buy another. If not no worries. Have to decide soon. Thanks for your comments!!

I see that a PCGS MS69 Ystone. just brought $2700.

Edited: I see that a Yos. is up now at $5000 OBO with an honest listing. I'll see how it does. >>

The $5000 Yosemite is mine. I offered it cheaper to my repeat customers. I have a good offer on it (above your proposed BIN), but the buyer won't have the money for a week or two, so I'm keeping it up for now.
    Thanks for the note. I'll wait bit prior to listing mine, hopefully until after yours sells. Good luck.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the pops. It does appear that it will be the key to the PCGS 69 set w/such a low percentage making 69. However, there's a nice ring to "PCGS pop. of 2".

R-
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

The PO box shipping is killing me on this.....I wonder how long registered will take. >>

Mine are sitting in the Fedex building about 20 miles away....arrived there late last night, processed ~8:07am today, and now will sit until Monday......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 17xx and my dad and brother are 20xx and 23xx.....haven't heard anything. I did have a friend in the 12xx that got an email for a delivery on Monday?
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

NGC MS69 $799

NGC MS69 $810

PCGS MS69 $2601

Holy Cow!

After having done more than a few flips on the board, that is NO LONGER even a question to entertain for more than a second. While they may go up later, there is a MUCH great chance they would go down. If you have absolutely no need/use for money, then keep as is with you. If the money can do you some good (retirement, bills, kids, college, etc), then why not keep a set raw (you have, what, 3 sets now?) and bang out on the others for some major moolah?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I am trying to resist the idea of putting these 5 beasts in a multiholder....Wouldn't that be huge! .....or even a holder with the 5oz'er next to it's baby sister silver quarter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

<< <i>I am trying to resist the idea of putting these 5 beasts in a multiholder....Wouldn't that be huge! .....or even a holder with the 5oz'er next to it's baby sister silver quarter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... >>

I like the paring of the 5oz with the "baby sister" concept. All 5 in a slab might be good if you need an extra tv tray.

What - and leave the Mint's P puck all by its lonesome?? image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you guys are still at this? Is the interest declining? Are prices falling yet?
    Yes and no. The NGC PL's and PCGS 69's are going for moon money, while raw and lower grades have fallen a bit. It's become a treasure hunt out there! image

~ Vince Lombardi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file