Home Autographs Forum
Options

OK....Let's see what you've got.....post something!

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2021 1:53PM

Deleted, I already posted this autograph before.

• Options
    AnnWAnnW Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2021 1:57PM

@PipestonePete said:
    I've always been a big fan of Yaz. Even after he single-handedly eliminated the Twins from the playoffs in his Triple Crown year, 1967.

I'm a big fan of Yaz too. I grew up watching the 1970s Red Sox with my dad. I also liked Carton Fisk and especially Dwight Evans and his monster throws to home plate from right field.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those were the days. I also liked George Scott and his gold tooth.

• Options

My autograph of actress Joan Fontaine.

• Options

Fresh out of the mailbox...a First Day Cover of the "Mayflower in Plymouth Harbor" stamp, signed by 95 year old Dick Van Dyke.

DVD is a descendant of a Mayflower passenger.

Over the years there has been some speculation that at various times he has used a secretary to answer fan mail. No idea on this one.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Fresh out of the mailbox...a First Day Cover of the "Mayflower in Plymouth Harbor" stamp, signed by 95 year old Dick Van Dyke.

Very interesting. I heard that too that he might be secretarial. If he is still signing at 95 that is amazing!

• Options

I have one or two from some years ago that are much neater. I figure between the two types I might have a real one. :p

• Options

I got this one back in 1998 and wondered about it, too.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

Very interesting. I heard that too that he might be secretarial. If he is still signing at 95 that is amazing!

From a VERY reputable dealer I buy autographs from, here is a description of one sold & an image of his actual signature.

**In a sea of secretarially-signed examples, we offer this incontrovertibly authentic 8x10-inch color portrait, boldly signed in blue felt-tip marker for a busy autograph hound with whom we regularly work in Los Angeles, California some decades ago. **

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    I got this one back in 1998 and wondered about it, too.

That’s what the one I got ttm in 2006 looked like. They started to changed a little bit before I stopped collecting the first time (2011). The one JBK just got looks different from what I recall the 2011 era ones looked like.

• Options

@bronzemat said:

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

From a VERY reputable dealer I buy autographs from, here is a description of one sold & an image of his actual signature.

**In a sea of secretarially-signed examples, we offer this incontrovertibly authentic 8x10-inch color portrait, boldly signed in blue felt-tip marker for a busy autograph hound with whom we regularly work in Los Angeles, California some decades ago. **

The three ttm examples I know of did NOT match that one. So maybe he hired three different secretaries over the years?

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 12:41PM

@JMS1223 said:

@bronzemat said:

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

The three ttm examples I know of did NOT match that one. So maybe he hired three different secretaries over the years?

Considering he's been around since the reign of Cleopatra, I'm sure there have been several secretaries in his employment through the ages. :#

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

attended a Wilmington Blue Rocks game on April 29 2016.
    Mitch "Wild Thing" was there signing autographs. I wasn't going to bother but it started to rain so what the heck, I took my ticket and had him sign it.
    As you can see that didn't work out, so I bought a baseball and got back in the VERY short line.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

From Wikipedia: "While employed by the RAND Corporation, Ellsberg precipitated a national political controversy in 1971 when he released the Pentagon Papers, a top-secret Pentagon study of the U.S. government decision-making in relation to the Vietnam War, to The New York Times, The Washington Post and other newspapers. On January 3, 1973, Ellsberg was charged under the Espionage Act of 1917 along with other charges of theft and conspiracy, carrying a total maximum sentence of 115 years. Because of governmental misconduct and illegal evidence-gathering, and the defense by Leonard Boudin and Harvard Law School professor Charles Nesson, Judge William Matthew Byrne Jr. dismissed all charges against Ellsberg on May 11, 1973."

I got Ellsberg to sign my autograph book on October 1, 1973 when he spoke at the University of Delaware.

• Options

Nice!

He's 90 years old and apparently still making the occasional appearance in the media. I've had an autograph request out to him for several months or more with no reply.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Nice!

autograph request out to him for several months or more with no reply.

Every autograph request, letter or gift I sent out this year has so far not resulted in any response whatsoever. Hmm wonder if it’s the mail or just the people I wrote.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:
    Nice!

autograph request out to him for several months or more with no reply.

Every autograph request, letter or gift I sent out this year has so far not resulted in any response whatsoever. Hmm wonder if it’s the mail or just the people I wrote.

Yes, it continues to be a difficult TTM environment. I get some responses but many requests or letters that might normally get a response have so far gone unanswered.

I wonder if the lessened responses under COVID will continue beyond the pandemic. :(

• Options

@JBK said:
    >

I wonder if the lessened responses under COVID will continue beyond the pandemic. :(

Makes me wonder if some of our letters or responses to our letters are stuck in the ever slowing mail stream and maybe fifty years later they will finally get found like some long lost letters do. I know of a few packages and letters/cards that were sent that the recipient never received (sent last December).

• Options
    edited September 22, 2021 6:10AM

I've read all of author Gore Vidal's historical novels, from "Burr" to "Washington, D.C.". I can only >> wish << that our founding fathers and mothers spoke as archly and intelligently as Vidal portrays them, but I doubt it. Here is my signed copy of "Hollywood".

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    I've read all of author Gore Vidal's historical novels, from "Burr" to "Washington, D.C.". I can only >> wish << that our founding fathers and mothers spoke as archly and intelligently as Vidal portrays them, but I doubt it. Here is my signed copy of "Hollywood".

Great one.

I think I have a signed edition from him, but never could get him myself. He lived in Italy for many years and moved back to the US in his last years when his health was declining.

• Options

I hope I haven't posted this one before. I bought this Louise Lasser autograph last year. How many people remember the "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" TV show from the late 1970's in which Louise appeared like this? I LOVED this show!

• Options

Wow - that's a blast from the past!

• Options

Imagine having a surgical procedure named after you, due to your pioneering its successful use. That's what pitcher Tommy John did. In 1974 he tore his ulnar collateral ligament and ligament replacement surgery was performed on him later that year. He missed the whole next season recovering, but he came back to the major leagues in 1976 and he actually had three 20-win seasons thereafter. Tommy John surgery has since become a common procedure among baseball pitchers these days. Fortunately Tommy's surgery also enabled him to autograph this index card for me back in 1993. :)

• Options

That's a great one to have. I wish I had gotten him.

Imagine if you had a supply of his index cards all the great combo autographs you could get.

• Options
    collectmaniacollectmania Posts: 34
    edited September 29, 2021 2:03AM

Melrose haul from Dortmund , last con i went to before covid , Rutherford turk poster early 90s and the green door ad from '97 , i love rare stuff like that

Shelby Grant (princess Sandra on old Batman , htf) & Chad Everett (Lexis dad on Melrose)

Also got MP book sgd by Muldoon (Janes bf/biz partner Richard Hart) and Markham (Alisons pedo dad) , met them HS '15 where i also met Batman '66 cast

• Options
    edited September 29, 2021 2:45AM

Byhring (Kjell in 13 Olsen Gang crime comedies , took me 20 yr to get , sgd around 1980)

Locklear contract '82 (added middle name , very rare to see , she just turned 60 btw)

Ita 4sh movie poster (Hansen ttm '09 - drew chainsaw , Hooper from Lon - sgd just 1 month before death , he was nice to meet but sad to see him so frail)

• Options

Rutherford (Dortmund '19) & Luner (HS '19)

• Options
    edited September 29, 2021 2:38AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TPWyA1EQVLY

My collection on yt

I have some unique stuff :

Mego 007 MR Drax MIB sgd Lonsdale (ooak , he only did 1 con)
    007 YOLT danish tiny movie ticket (same)
    3 letters directly from Bond sets in Francs/UK (Lonsdale , Chiles & d'Abo)

Also multiple original 1st issue Bond movie posters sgd by Andress (2 cons and prolly no more due to her rumored sight prob) , Rigg (1 con) , Lazenby , Moore , Kotto

• Options
    edited September 29, 2021 2:41AM

007 Stavin (old skool ca early 80s) vs from '15 when i met her (and several other 007 girls)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5wUsivZDECk

• Options
    edited September 29, 2021 10:52AM

Relief pitcher Billy Wagner's name doesn't immediately come to mind as a Baseball Hall of Fame candidate, yet in his 6th year of eligibility, he garnered 46% of the votes on the 2021 ballot, so there's hope. He's in the shadow of other relievers of the era like Mariano Rivera, Trevor Hoffman and Lee Smith. But he owns an impressive 2.31 ERA for his career. And, in fact, he must've been so happy I asked for his autograph back in 2004, that he blazed a sizzling 1.51 ERA with 38 saves in 70 appearances for the Phillies the following season. :)

• Options
    edited October 1, 2021 3:13AM

There aren't many baseball players who have reached such highs and fallen to such lows as pitcher Denny McLain. In 1968, he won 31 games. From Wikipedia: "His stellar performance at the beginning of his major league career included two Cy Young awards and an American League MVP award. His success in baseball stood in marked contrast to his personal life, where he associated with organized crime and was eventually convicted on charges of embezzlement, after which he served time in prison."

• Options

Cam Bedrosian is a relief pitcher who pitched for the Phillies this past season. His father Steve (aka Bedrock) pitched for the Phils, too, and won the 1987 National League Cy Young Award. Here is my Steve autograph.

• Options

Nice placement of the signature by Steve. He obviously takes some pride in creating the memento.

• Options

From my autograph book, here's an in-person autograph I got when Senator George McGovern spoke at the University of Delaware campus (my alma mater) on September 30, 1981.

• Options

His signature always fascinated me because he usually formed his capital "G" differently in his first and last names. On occasion they would be the same, but usually not.

• Options

Not being Brit, I don't know much about the rest of Dame June Whitfield's long career, it was enough for me that she played Edina Monsoon's mother in the TV series "Absolutely Fabulous." She always seemed so sweet with her insults, which made them pricelessly funny. My favorite Whitfield scene was in the episode when her daughter Edina was trying to diet:

Edina: "Inside of me there is a thin person screaming to get out."
    Mother: "Just the one, dear?"

Anyway, here is my June Whitfield autograph.

• Options

Don't feel bad. I think Ali was unobtainable long before 2000. ;):p

• Options
    edited October 14, 2021 10:09AM

From my autograph book, here's another autograph I got in person, on December 6, 1973 - Senator Edmund Muskie, who ran as Hubert Humphrey's running mate in 1968. Muskie unsuccessfully sought the 1972 Democratic nomination.

• Options

I was a volunteer in Joe Biden's first Senate campaign in 1972. No offense to Joe, but if I wanted to sit down for 2 hours and talk to someone about his past U.S. Senate campaigns, that someone would be his campaign manager and sister, Valerie Biden Owens. Here is an autographed note I got from her just before the second Obama-Biden inauguration in 2013.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Here's a signed quote I got from Gen. Colin Powell just 10 day ago. He passed away yesterday. :'(

I used to have a Colin Powell signed index card in my former collection. His signature hasn’t changed much as I remember mine looking very similar to yours from just ten days ago. Amazing he remained a willing signer until the end. :)

• Options
    edited October 18, 2021 10:50AM

@JMS1223 said:
    Amazing he remained a willing signer until the end. :)

Sort of. He was down to one per person, and his office did keep track.

This one was requested by a "friend" whose address had never been used before. ;)

But, he also would occassionslly reply to a sincere letter, aside from his policy on autographs. I have a great typed letter and a couple handwritten notes on various issues I had written to him about over the past several years.

I also have a great series of letters with letterheads representing his various roles, lacking only his highest position, Sectetary of State.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2021 1:46PM

I've previously posted a nice photo of the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor that was signed by Ken Potts, one of two remaining USS Arizona survivors (and the only one who responds TTM).

Here are a couple new photos which are less visually appealing but very historical.

One shows a gun turret, the only part of the ship that is above water.

The other shows the starting point of the perpetual oil slick that stretches from the Memorial. Every minute or so, as has constantly happened since the attack in 1941, a drop or two of oil rises from the sunken ship to the surface of the water.

• Options

Excluding all those suspected PED users, Dave Parker may be the best baseball players NOT in the Baseball Hall of Fame. A NL MVP Award in 1978, over 2,700 hits, nearly 1,500 runs batted in, back-to-back batting titles, and a 7-time All Star. His addiction issues, especially with cocaine, probably resulted in him having some poor years in what should have been his prime, and he never received more than 25% of the votes from the writers in the Hall Of Fame balloting. But at his best, he was a fearsome hitter. Here's My DP autograph.

• Options

I was able to find a nice Thurgood Marshall signature for my collection of favorite historical figures.

I had been looking for one for a while but most I had come across either were not to my liking (not the right item or personalized) or too expensive. Others I tried to bid on but kept getting outbid the last minute. In retrospect I am glad I didn’t win any of those as they were all just plain index cards. Then I came across this one which was obtained in person at the Supreme Court chambers over 40 years ago. The price was right too. Very happy with this purchase.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:
    I was able to find a nice Thurgood Marshall signature for my collection of favorite historical figures.

I had been looking for one for a while but most I had come across either were not to my liking (not the right item or personalized) or too expensive. Others I tried to bid on but kept getting outbid the last minute. In retrospect I am glad I didn’t win any of those as they were all just plain index cards. Then I came across this one which was obtained in person at the Supreme Court chambers over 40 years ago. The price was right too. Very happy with this purchase.

Congrats on the long-awaited acquisition. B)

• Options

Yes, a good example of patience paying off.

• Options

Diana Barrymore (1921-1960), the late Aunt of Drew Barrymore. I've read many biographies but her book, “Too Much, Too Soon” written in 1957, is one that I still remember almost page by page since reading it in 1996. There have been many self-destructive Hollywood figures over the decades but Diana I think was the worst of them all. In addition to inheriting the Barrymore acting talent, she also inherited their predisposition for addiction. Addicted to alcohol and drugs, her life was quickly spiraled out of control. Despite inheritances after the passing of her parents, she was broke by the 1950s. She passed away in 1960 at the age of 38 & the autopsy was inconclusive.

Only 10 movies are to her name. My favorites were “Between Us Girls”, “Fired Wife’ & “Nightmare”.

Her autograph is rare but not worth a lot due to lack of demand/popularity but still a favorite in my collection.

• Options

Wow! 38...

I'm glad I'm not famous and don't have those pressures and opportunities for mayhem.

She definitely had the look of the classic Golden Age actress.