Home Autographs Forum
Options

OK....Let's see what you've got.....post something!

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@ernie11 said:

Like JMS said, it certainly looks like her handwriting. My concern would not be secretarial but rather autopen, but in any case it does not really have the look of an autopen.

It is also a full legible signature, which I think is not as common as her abbreviated ones.

I posted on the Clinton Collectors Facebook page and someone replied, "It certainly looks like her signature as I've had her do several items in person. The gold ink makes me think this not secretarial. And in '04 she was doing a lot of direct constituent work."

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2021 11:44AM

I was poking around a pile of mail that I got between 10 and 12 years ago, or thereabouts. These were responses of various kinds that I felt were worth saving.

I found a Jimmy Carter, potential George HW Bushes and Trump (see other thread), several Sonia Sotomayors (sorry JMS! ;) ), and lots of other good stuff.

Here is an autograph of Cammie King, who was in the movie "Gone With The Wind" as a little girl. I had totally forgotten that I had gotten this.

Here is a Warren Buffett business card. I knew I had two but this third one was a pleasant surprise. :)

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I was poking around a pile of mail..

several Sonia Sotomayors (sorry JMS! ;) ),

I would love to see pictures of those when/if you get a chance. You can either send them to me via Message or post them here. Whatever you are more comfortable with.

@JBK said:

Here is an autograph of Cammie King, who was in the movie "Gone With The Wind" as a little girl. I had totally forgotten that I had gotten this.

That reminds me of my former collection. I got her ttm too but on index cards. I got one for Bambi (signed in green) and one for GWTW (signed in blue for Bonnie Blue). She was great ttm.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the mid 1990's I decided to try to write JFK Secret Service Agent Clint Hill. Having seen the interview that he did with Mike Wallace years before in which he seemed to be a broken man who blamed himself entirely for JFK's death was part of the reason for writing him. I wanted to thank him for his service and to wish him well. It was pre-internet days so, without an address source, I wrote a letter and sent it to the U.S. Secret Service and requested that they forward the letter to Mr. Hill. After a month had passed with no response I sent another letter of inquiry to the Secret Service asking if the letter had ever been passed on to Mr. Hill. A couple of weeks later a business sized envelope with letter arrived with no return address and a Mclean, WV, postmark. I immediately had a pretty good idea who the letter was from. Opening the letter I was delighted to see that Agent Hill had not only provided an autograph but had typed out a wonderful letter with just about all the content that one could hope for.

• Options

Fantastic letter. Stuff like that was really only available pre-internet.

Back then you had to put more effort into reaching people, and if you got through they could generate a better reply as they weren't inundated with requests.

• Options

By the way...I love the "anonymous" address aspect. I've gotten a few of those over the years.

• Options

This month being the 47th anniversary of Richard Nixon's resignation, reminds me of an autograph I have. From Wikipedia: "Peter Rodino rose to prominence as the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, where he oversaw the impeachment process against Richard Nixon that eventually led to the president's resignation. He was the longest-serving member ever of the United States House of Representatives from the state of New Jersey."

• Options

My autograph of Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, from 25 years ago. RIP, Charlie.

• Options

Great picture.

I never got him. I guess he was good TTM right up until early this month.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today marks the passing of one of my favorite Classic Hollywood actresses, Kay Francis, who succumbed to breast cancer in 1968.

I share a very scarce autographed postcard.

One of the highest-paid actresses at WB in the 1930s but continued work in the 1940s & plenty of theatre in the 50s & 60s. She spent much of the 40s touring & entertaining the troops during World War 2. She was also popular for her fashion in many of her films.

This British postcard is from around 1933 & possibly the only one in existence as I continue to not find any others from old auctions, sales & the like.

The genuine signature is signed at an angle.

• Options

Nice!

• Options

R.I.P., Ed Asner.

• Options

Damn! Saw the news here first. Thx for posting.

I got him TTM a few months ago.

He was great to write to, and would even write back a letter if you asked him a question.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2021 4:38PM

A year or two ago I wrote Ed Asner to comment on a guest appearance he did on "Blue Bloods". He sent back a handwritten note explaining how it all came about and gave me some scuttlebutt on a short-lived TV series he and Tom Selleck were in years ago.

• Options

@JBK said:

I love hearing when people were good signers ttm up until the end. That makes me happy to hear he was always good to his fans. I remember getting him ttm in 2009-2010 when he did Up and had him sign a couple Up photos. He was really great. So glad he stayed that way his whole life. He seemed like a nice guy.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2021 11:04AM

Here is my autograph of baseball player Lonnie Smith, who seemed to always be in the right place at the right time. Within 6 seasons, he owned 3 World Series rings with three different teams - the Phillies in 1980, the Cardinals in 1982 and the Royals in 1985. He would've had 4 team Series rings had the Atlanta Braves known how to win a World Series back when he played for them.

Smith also had a way of, er, not always standing up when he played in the outfield, sometimes tripping himself on plays - he apparently blamed this on being pigeon-toed as a kid. Anyway, Smith infamously attacked the Phillie Phanatic back in 1982 during a pre-game moment, when the Phanatic did belly flops near him, mocking Smith's propensity to be clumsy.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

I love hearing when people were good signers ttm up until the end. That makes me happy to hear he was always good to his fans. I remember getting him ttm in 2009-2010 when he did Up and had him sign a couple Up photos. He was really great. So glad he stayed that way his whole life. He seemed like a nice guy.

Here's another Ed Asner anecdote...

Years ago he was performing in the city where my aunt was living, and she sent him a note at the theatre after seeing the play. He wrote back and invited her to lunch.

• Options

Newbie here...Here's my great-great aunt's collection of autographed playing cards and bookplates
    signed by famous writers, playwrights, and poets. Some familiar names include Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Truman Capote, Allen Ginsberg, Woody Allen, Thornton Wilder, Neil Simon, Richard Rodgers, James Baldwin, Michael Crichton, Joseph Heller, and John Updike. All told there's one complete "deck," a bunch of bookplates, and some letters. Not sure if there are any other literature buffs here, but here's some pics!

• Options
    edited September 3, 2021 3:04PM

What a fantastic collection!! And...WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

• Options

I second that. That’s an AWESOME collection. Pretty much a who’s who of the literary world.

• Options
    edited September 3, 2021 9:47PM

Fantastic collection and great letters.

I got in on the tail end of her collecting era and got people like Miller, Updike, Heller, and Crichton. But she started much earlier and got many if not most of the giants of the 20th century.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see this collection being shown on ANTIQUES ROAD SHOW! Nice.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Years ago, a friend of mine gave me this piece of sheet music, autographed by singer Patti Page. "Tennessee Waltz" was Page's signature song, from 1950.

• Options

I came across these today. Early
    examples from my quote collection, back when I had to type out the quotes on a typewriter rather than print them out from a PC.

Playwright Arthur Miller, who later started turning down autograph requests, and actress Patricia Neal.

• Options

R.I.P. Jean-Paul Belmondo, who died Monday, was a French actor in the French New Wave of the 1960's. His best known early film was "Breathless", co-starring with Jean Seberg. Here is an autograph I got of a mature Belmondo, as well as a photo in his early days.

• Options

I came across this today. It's the last letter I got from former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, in 2016. He had just introduced a new variation on Solitaire.

He passed away earlier this year but he had retreated from public activities about three years ago, so I am guessing that this 2016 reply was one of the last opportunities to get a response from him.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I came across this today. It's the last letter I got from former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, in 2016.
    I am guessing that this 2016 reply was one of the last opportunities to get a response from him.

Very interesting letter. Love the last paragraph.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:
    I came across this today. It's the last letter I got from former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, in 2016.
    I am guessing that this 2016 reply was one of the last opportunities to get a response from him.

Very interesting letter. Love the last paragraph.

Yes, when I re-read that today for the first time in a few years I chuckled at his observation.

• Options

Just bought this one today.

• Options

A very interesting way used to type the date on that letter.

• Options

An autograph cut from a check, of John M. Clayton, who served three non-contiguous terms as U.S. Senator in Delaware and for a short while was Secretary of State to President Zachary Taylor from 1849 to 1850. The Clayton-Bulwer Treaty in 1850 between the U.S. and England, is named after him. Clayton's home, Buena Vista, is located on Rt. 13 below New Castle, Delaware, and I grew up not too far away from it.

What oddly looks like "Jno M Clayton" is due to the usage of Jno as an abbreviation for John.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

Congratulations!

I also have noticed that date format on numerous letters from various people in the 1930s.

I guess during the Great Depression they had to find ways to amuse themselves. :)

• Options

Here is one I've wanted for a long time and I finally got off my butt and made it happen. I bought the old East German banknote on ebay and shipped it off to Egon Krenz, who was the last leader of communist East Germany. It came back today. :)

• Options

@JBK said:
    Here is one I've wanted for a long time and I finally got off my butt and made it happen. I bought the old East German banknote on ebay and shipped it off to Egon Krenz, who was the last leader of communist East Germany. It came back today. :)

I have that same banknote in my currency collection. I think it’s really neat to have it signed.

• Options

Edd "Kookie" Byrnes was an American actor best known for his role in the television series "77 Sunset Strip", and he attained great popularity for a short time in the early 1960's. I'm not lighting up the tilt sign when I say that Kookie was the ginchiest!

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    Edd "Kookie" Byrnes was an American actor best known for his role in the television series "77 Sunset Strip", and he attained great popularity for a short time in the early 1960's. I'm not lighting up the tilt sign when I say that Kookie was the ginchiest!

Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb!

His fame did indeed run red hot during the early 1960's but faded quickly thereafter. He was probably typecast in the roll of "Kookie".

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

@ernie11 said:

Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb!

His fame did indeed run red hot during the early 1960's but faded quickly thereafter. He was probably typecast in the roll of "Kookie".

He did make an Appearance on an episode of Married With Children, Same with Larry Storch and others.

A clip from Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go-0H0LDkGI

I was born in 1979, so that's how I heard of him due to that being one of my favorite shows.

• Options

I recall Larry Storch's appearance.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I recall Larry Storch's appearance.

Jerry Mathers, Alan Thicke, & many others. B)

• Options
    edited September 13, 2021 3:26PM

I love when a show brings on some of the classic actors for cameos.

At the time MWC was a little low brow for me, but I suspect now I'd be more amenable to watching it. :D

Of course, Christina Applegate was always a reason to tune in. o:)

• Options

@JBK said:
    I love when a show brings on some of the classic actors fir cameos.

At the time MWC was a little low brow for me, but I suspect now I'd be more amenable to watching it. :D

Of course, Christina Applegate was always a reason to tune in. o:)

I've seen it so many times I can pretty much recite every episode word for word, that's pretty bad.

And my parents didn't mind.

NOW the show would be cancelled in a blink of an eye with the fat, gay and racial jokes in almost every episode. Even Ed O'Neill said it in an interview years ago.

Stupid PC culture. :/

• Options

To put this thread back on track below is one of my favorite autographs, Sandra Dee.

What I especially like about it is that it was signed when she was just 19 years old. The 8x10 itself is just to go with it.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

The signature certainly looks convincing but I have a hard time believing that he would be personally signing such letters a few days after he had just been elected president. He must have received thousands of such letters from supporters around the country.

French Lick Springs, Indiana was a major resort destination during that period. Is it possible that Roosevelt met Miss Taggart while staying there at some time? Was Miss Taggart a major Democratic party donor or official? Looking into the background of the recipients of these letters is both interesting and helpful in authentication.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

You'd be surprised. I have a letter written by FDR while he was president to my great-grandfather thanking him for a health update on a third person (no idea of the connection).

Life was simpler then. :p

• Options

@291fifth said:

@JMS1223 said:

>

Was Miss Taggart a major Democratic party donor or official? Looking into the background of the recipients of these letters is both interesting and helpful in authentication.

She was related to the I believe the then Governor of Indiana. Miss Taggart was also a somewhat famous artist. I have the papers at home with the background about her so I can better answer who she was when I am home again and have a chance to look at them.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@291fifth said:

@JMS1223 said:

>

Was Miss Taggart a major Democratic party donor or official? Looking into the background of the recipients of these letters is both interesting and helpful in authentication.

She was related to the I believe the then Governor of Indiana. Miss Taggart was also a somewhat famous artist. I have the papers at home with the background about her so I can better answer who she was when I am home again and have a chance to look at them.

Very interesting info and a good reason why the signature would be genuine.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I just looked up information on Lucy M. Taggart. She was an accomplished artist and daughter of a top ranking Indiana Democratic politician. She did meet Franklin Roosevelt but that was 1936, after the letter in question was sent.

Her letter to Franklin D. Roosevelt is one that he would have personally responded to. I think it is almost certain that the signature on the letter is genuine.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

My autograph of someone who was a bit of a pioneer. In 1968, Shirley Chisholm became the first black woman elected to Congress, and served for seven terms from 1969 to 1983. In the 1972 United States presidential election, she became the first African-American candidate to run for a major party's nomination for President of the United States, and the first woman to run for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination. I remember hearing her speak in person once, and she was terrific.

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    My autograph of someone who was a bit of a pioneer. In 1968, Shirley Chisholm became the first black woman elected to Congress, and served for seven terms from 1969 to 1983. In the 1972 United States presidential election, she became the first African-American candidate to run for a major party's nomination for President of the United States, and the first woman to run for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination. I remember hearing her speak in person once, and she was terrific.

Very nice. That is a very historical and neat autograph you have.

• Options

I never got Shirley.

I did get Barbara Jordan, who was sort of a contemporary.