Home Autographs Forum
Options

OK....Let's see what you've got.....post something!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JMS1223 said:

This is the Edmund Hillary I got ttm when I sent him the New Zealand Five Dollar note he was featured on.

How did that survive the big sell-off!! :D

I'm glad you still have it. It is a very rare opportunity to be able to have someone sign a banknote with their picture on it.

I have a couple of these as well, but mine are the earlier paper issue, whereas yours is the polymer.

On my paper banknotes he used a ballpoint pen. Definitely legible but not as nice and dark as what he used on the polymer ones.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@ernie11 said:
    Apologies for the quality of the image, my new flatbed scanner sometimes has problems with pure black and white images.

Along with Tenzing Norgay, Sir Edmund Hillary successfully ascended Mount Everest, the first people to do so, on May 29, 1953. My autograph from Sir Edmund.

That's a great one - I think a bit earlier than mine as yours is "E P Hillary" whereas later he commonly signed as "Ed Hillary".

If this helps, I obtained this TTM in 1997.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 8:50AM

@ernie11 said:

@JBK said:

@ernie11 said:
    Apologies for the quality of the image, my new flatbed scanner sometimes has problems with pure black and white images.

Along with Tenzing Norgay, Sir Edmund Hillary successfully ascended Mount Everest, the first people to do so, on May 29, 1953. My autograph from Sir Edmund.

That's a great one - I think a bit earlier than mine as yours is "E P Hillary" whereas later he commonly signed as "Ed Hillary".

If this helps, I obtained this TTM in 1997.

That is interesting. Mine are from roughly the same era, I think.

I have a card or two like this, maybe a small photo, a short typed letter, a couple signed quotes, and the banknotes. I am pretty sure they are all signed "Ed".

I wish I had gotten T. Norgay but I was not as active with requests back when he was around. There was a commemorative coin issued and the COA was authentically signed by both. I should try to get one of those.

Incidentally, one of my top favorite quotes from my signed quotations collection is from Edmund Hillary: "It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

It's especially good as it incorporates the subject matter of his notoriety.

• Options

Here is a letter I got yesterday from former Massachusetts governor and 1988 Democratic presidential nominee Michael Dukakis.

He suffered a resounding loss to George HW Bush in 1988 and I was always curious how an impending loss was handled within a campaign, such as whether or not they privately admitted it to themselves and close supporters.

Dukakis is very approachable (he lives in the same house that he lived in years ago) and I figured my best chance for getting an honest answer would be from him.

He sent this letter, and even handwrote his name and return address on the SASE I enclosed.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Here is a letter I got yesterday from former Massachusetts governor and 1988 Democratic presidential nominee Michael Dukakis.

He suffered a resounding loss to George HW Bush in 1988 and I was always curious how an impending loss was handled within a campaign, such as whether or not they privately admitted it to themselves and close supporters.

Dukakis is very approachable (he lives in the same house that he lived in years ago) and I figured my best chance for getting an honest answer would be from him.

He sent this letter, and even handwrote his name and return address on the SASE I enclosed.

Wow, this is neat. Around 1996 I wrote to him and got a 5 x 7 photo signed. 2 years later, on a lark, I got Olympia Dukakis' auto on a photo, too. The only time I've gotten a letter from a political figure responding to a question was one time I wrote to Sargent Shriver, asking him what he was doing at the time.

• Options

What a coincidence....

When Olympia Dukakis passed away a few months ago I wrote to her cousin Mike Dukakis to extend condolences. He replied with some great personal recollections of her.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 1:10PM

I don't know a lot about Andrea Marcovicci's career. I suppose to call her a cabaret songstress only would be to belittle her, since she's also appeared on Broadway, TV and some films - I remember her particularly as Woody Allen's girlfriend in the 1976 movie "The Front". Anyway, I saw this performance at the Prince Music Theater in Philadelphia in September 2000 - gosh, it's been that long ago.

One of my favorite "duh" moments was after the show, when my friends and I were milling around in the lobby, having a drink and snacks. A woman comes up to us asking us where the refreshments were, and we didn't immediately catch on that it was Andrea herself!! So we got to talk to her for a short while.

• Options

That's a great story!

My "duh" moment was a little different.

I went to see a young country singer who was the opening act for another show. After her set she was selling and signing CDs so I got one and also asked for a selfie of the two of us. The only problem was that I didn't know how to use the camera on my fairly new smartphone to take selfies.

So, the singer had to take my phone and adjust the camera and take the photo of the two of us. I got her to sign a print of that photo a few years later when she was playing in the area again.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 1:34PM

@ernie11 said:
    I don't know a lot about Andrea Marcovicci's career. I suppose to call her a cabaret songstress only would be to belittle her, since she's also appeared on Broadway, TV and some films - I remember her particularly as Woody Allen's girlfriend in the 1976 movie "The Front". Anyway, I saw this performance at the Prince Music Theater in Philadelphia in September 2000 - gosh, it's been that long ago.

One of my favorite "duh" moments was after the show, when my friends and I were milling around in the lobby, having a drink and snacks. A woman comes up to us asking us where the refreshments were, and we didn't immediately catch on that it was Andrea herself!! So we got to talk to her for a short while.

I forgot to mention that this was an in-person NON-autograph and a TTM autograph. I must've had a mental lapse that night and didn't ask her to sign my playbill. I recently found it in a box of other playbills within the past two years, searched for Marcovicci on the internet and found her publicist's address in LA, I think it was. Then I mailed the playbill out to her and asked her to sign it very belatedly.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@ernie11 said:

I forgot to mention that this was an in-person NON-autograph and a TTM autograph. I must've had a mental lapse that night and didn't ask her to sign my playbill. I recently found it in a box of other playbills within the past two years, searched for Marcovicci on the internet and found her publicist's address in LA, I think it was. Then I mailed the playbill out to her and asked her to sign it very belatedly.

That makes the story even better!

It reminds me of the time I went to see Senator George McGovern speak at my university. Afterward I was in the scrum around him but I was not bold enough to push my way into position for an autograph. Years later I sent the program I had from the event and had him sign it.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Hanks turned 65 today so here is the autograph of his that I purchased in 2017. It doesn’t look like much but it originally came from his Uncommon Type book of short stories he wrote so I know it’s authentic.

• Options

It reminds me of the time I went to see Senator George McGovern speak at my university. Afterward I was in the scrum around him but I was not bold enough to push my way into position for an autograph. Years later I sent the program I had from the event and had him sign it.

He came to my university, too, although I was an alumnus by this time. At the time I had an autograph book, and I did get the courage to approach him.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:
    Tom Hanks turned 65 today so here is the autograph of his that I purchased in 2017. It doesn’t look like much but it originally came from his Uncommon Type book of short stories he wrote so I know it’s authentic.

He has to be an uncommon signature.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 3:15PM

@ernie11 said:

He came to my university, too, although I was an alumnus by this time. At the time I had an autograph book, and I did get the courage to approach him.

I'll bet that was the same speaking tour. Or at least within a year or so.

Note how the G in his first name is formed differently than the G in his last name. It wasn't always that way but it usually was.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2021 2:29PM

Even old timers like me can't remember that Ann B. Davis won two primetime Emmys for her role as Schultzy in the NBC situation comedy The Bob Cummings Show (1955–1959), except that I used to see her in reruns of that show. But she was best known for playing the part of Alice, the housekeeper on The Brady Bunch (1969–1974).

• Options

Ann B. Davis was the first success I got ttm back in 1998 when I did my very first ttm send out to just five people. I got a small 3x5 signed photo similar to Ernie’s. I also got Bill Clinton but it was printed and the three others I wrote I never got anything back (Madonna, Prince and I think Barbara Eden were the other three).

• Options

Darn you both! :D

I procrastinated and never wrote to her when I had the chance. :/

I had no idea on her Emmys or other show.

• Options
    CMKLCMKL Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Fresh back from PSA. Around 9 month turnaround.

1978 Family Fun Centers Ray Kroc

• Options

Ray Kroc is a good oned to have. He passed away before the internet era so fewer people obtained his autograph. Once the internet came along, as well as cable shopping channels, autograph collecting expanded coinsiderably.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2021 12:05PM

@JMS1223 said:
    Ann B. Davis was the first success I got ttm back in 1998 when I did my very first ttm send out to just five people. I got a small 3x5 signed photo similar to Ernie’s. I also got Bill Clinton but it was printed and the three others I wrote I never got anything back (Madonna, Prince and I think Barbara Eden were the other three).

With Madonna and Prince, you would've been lucky had they really sent you an auto, they must've gotten tons of mail back then.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2021 11:32AM

Not sure if I posted this before but I photographed it for a thread in the coin forum so I figured I'd also add it here.

WWII Japanese Invasion Money made for use in the Philippines, signed by Dutch Van Kirk, who was the navigator on the Enola Gay during the first atomic bomb mission.

• Options

Back in 2005 I purchased a “Short Snorter” (they were currency notes signed by servicemen during WWII and they carried them with them because if they failed to produce it upon request they had to pay for everyone’s drinks). What made this particular Short Snorter interesting was that it was signed on a Hawaii note. For those not familiar with U.S. Currency, Hawaii notes were issued during WWII to be used on the Hawaiian Islands so that in the event the Japanese captured Hawaii the U.S. Government could declare the currency invalid.

A few months after I purchased this Short Snorter I decided to research the signatures. I was able to read many of them and upon finding a website that listed servicemen that served in WWII in the Hawaiian Islands or nearby I was able to figure out who was still living and who had died. I was able to find one, Blaine W. Gamble, that was still alive. I found his address online after doing an address search and did my best guess to figure out the correct Blaine W. Gamble based on age.

I decided to send him a letter in the mail with a photocopy of the note asking if he was the man who signed it. A few weeks later I get a large envelope in the mail with a two page handwritten letter saying that he was the man who signed the note and mentioned a few others who signed it that had since passed away that were his buddies in WWII. He sent along a copy of a photo of himself from WWII that was published in a magazine at the time, it was either Life or Time. He mentioned the names of the other people in the photo and how he knew them during the war. He finally closed by thanking me for sending him a copy of the Short Snorter.

In retrospect, I wish I had sent him the actual Short Shorter. I think back when I wrote the letter I wasn’t 100% sure I had the right guy and didn’t want to risk losing the note. After I got the response back I could had sent it to him then but I thought having the note with the letter and photo would make a more interesting item as it gave the note more history. Unfortunately now the Short Snorter is lost. I have no idea where it is but it was kept with the letter and photo, and the note is gone. There is no chance of it showing up after looking and looking for it over the years. All I got is the picture of it.

• Options

That is an amazing story. I am sure that just sending him the copy and letting him reminisce was a gift in itself.

That is so odd about the missing banknote. Maybe it will show up on Ebay some day. The added documentation you have definitely added value, both historical and financial, to it.

• Options

Sometimes if you're sharp-eyed at a flea market you can come up with a good find. At least I can only hope this was a good find back in 1997. A guy had a whole table full of playbills, and I grabbed this one from a 1953 Broadway show. Why? Because I was hoping it was Rosalind Russell herself who signed the front "With love to Howie Roz". I haven't been able to determine if this was really her - she usually signed her autographs with her full first name Rosalind, not just "Roz". Anyway, I can dream, can't I?

• Options

I poked around briefly on the internet and it seems to compare favorably to others.

Was there anyone in the playbill named Howie? It seems to be a very personal inscription.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2021 1:45PM

@JBK said:
    I poked around briefly on the internet and it seems to compare favorably to others.

Was there anyone in the playbill named Howie? It seems to be a very personal inscription.

I've looked thru the whole cast and production team and don't see a Howie or Howard.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2021 1:57PM

Hmmm. Maybe theatre owner, columnist/reviewer, or some friend who went to the theater.

• Options

Any film director who made the likes of the following movies is someone whose autograph I'd really want to ask for: Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Sunset Boulevard, Stalag 17, The Seven Year Itch, Witness for the Prosecution, Some Like It Hot, The Apartment and Irma la Douce.

And so I did ask for his autograph, back in 1995, and Billy Wilder sent me this signed card.

• Options

He's a great one to have. I never wrote to him. :/

• Options
    edited July 13, 2021 2:27PM

@JBK said:
    He's a great one to have. I never wrote to him. :/

I have a vague memory that I wrote to him asking for an autographed photo, and he replied something funny like "Film directors are too ugly to have photos", and he sent me the card instead. :)

• Options

I'd want Ken Kesey's autograph, if only because of his first two novels, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "Sometimes a Great Notion".

• Options

Another one that I somehow neglected to get back in the day. :/

• Options

Two of my favorite autographs in my current collection:

Steven Spielberg signed letter mentioning my all time favorite movie, Schindler’s List (1993).

Stephen King signed this index card right around the same time he wrote the short story “Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption” (1982) which was later adapted into my second favorite movie of all time, The Shawshank Redemption (1994).

• Options
    edited July 14, 2021 10:22AM

Those are great pieces. The Spielberg letter must be especially rare.

You missed the glory days of Stephen King. Back in the day you could write and ask if you could send a book to be autographed. His office would put you on a list and when your name came up (as much as a year later) they would write to tell you it was your turn, up to two books per person was the lifetime limit.

The inscriptions were usually great. I got a book that was a complication of books he wrote as Richard Bachmann (including "Rage" about a school shooting, which he has taken out of print.) He signed it with both names.

Sonewhere along the way I also got him to sign a baseball because of his association as a Red Sox fan.

• Options

@JBK said:

You missed the glory days of Stephen King. Back in the day you could write and ask if you could send a book to be autographed. His office would put you on a list and when your name came up (as much as a year later) they would write to tell you it was your turn, up to two books per person we the lifetime limit.

I literally missed this by a year. I started collecting about a year after he stopped signing ttm. I believe the last autographs he sent out were those Dark Tower postcards that had “the card is computer generated- the signature is real” or something along those lines. That was in 2004. I started collecting in 2005. (I wrote five ttm requests in 1998 and that was all I did and for whatever reason didn’t write anymore requests ttm until 2005).

• Options

And I missed that postcard. :/ I read about it online but it was too late my then.

I've dropped SK a note here or there over the years after he stopped signing TTM but no replies, even from his office.

• Options

@JBK said:
    And I missed that postcard. :/ I read about it online but it was too late my then.

I've dropped SK a note here or there over the years after he stopped signing TTM but no replies, even from his office.

I never got the postcard either.

I sent Stephen King a nice fountain pen as a gift one year for his birthday. No response at all.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

I never got the postcard either.

I sent Stephen King a nice fountain pen as a gift one year for his birthday. No response at all.

Wow! That was rude of him.

• Options

My autograph of the best baseball player to actively avoid playing for the Phillies. According to Wikipedia, J. D. Drew was drafted by the Phillies in 1997, his agent supposedly wanted $10 million, the Phils weren't going to offer that much for an untested player, drafted him anyway and offered $2.6 million. Drew's agent got around the MLB draft rules by having Drew play for an independent league in 1997, whereupon he was re-drafted in 1998 by the St. Louis Cardinals. Here's the autograph I got from Drew - for all the effort he expended staying away from my home town, I started to think that Romans 8:28 in the Bible was "Deliver us from evil, or the Phillies".

• Options

In the summer of 1999, I got this auto'ed book from my local Borders Bookstore, Hall of Famer Tommy Glavine. Sadly, I couldn't get to his book signing appearance there because it was in the middle of my work day and I couldn't break away.

• Options

1983 Topps Gwynn, Boggs, Sandberg rookies and a second year Kaline fresh from PSA and PSA/DNA

• Options

And a couple of Jerry Coleman Padres cards. He was nice enough to add “oh Doctor! “ to them. He was known to say that when a great play was made.

• Options

Nice!

• Options

I wrote to Sally Field back in 1996, asking for an autographed photo. Bad news: the photo was a fake printed autograph. Good news: she signed my index card, seen here. Don't get me wrong - I like her, I really like her! Field won the Academy Award for Best Actress twice, for Norma Rae (1979) and Places in the Heart (1984). Also nominated a few years ago for Lincoln.

• Options

Have not tried for her (yet). I saw Norma Rae, but she'll always be "The Flying Nun" to me. :p

• Options

@JBK said:
    Have not tried for her (yet). I saw Norma Rae, but she'll always be "The Flying Nun" to me. :p

Agreed.

• Options

That's great!

Back in the day (1960s, 1970s) it was for some reason common for TV stars to make records. William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Telly Savales, and others felt that we might benefit from hearing them sing. :o

A few, like Jim Nabors and Andy Griffith, had legitimate musical talent. I'm not sure where Sally Field stands in this equation as I've never heard her sing.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2021 6:06AM

@JBK said:
    That's great!

Back in the day (1960s, 1970s) it was for some reason common for TV stars to make records. William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Telly Savales, and others felt that we might benefit from hearing them sing. :o

A few, like Jim Nabors and Andy Griffith, had legitimate musical talent. I'm not sure where Sally Field stands in this equation as I've never heard her sing.

The song on this record sleeve "Felicidad" is awful, a kind of syrupy sweet song with a children's chorus in the background. Sally really doesn't cut it as a singer, her voice was so thin that the kids almost drowned her out. I'm glad she's a good actress.

As for William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, I have some of their records and let's just say I'd listen to Sally Field any day over them, unless I just wanted a good laugh. :)

• Options

The Hooters were a band from Philadelphia that had some measure of success in the 1980's. In a record store years ago, I found a Xmas card signed by the members, circa 1985.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2021 4:11AM

They had some great songs back in that era.

A million years ago I was an early member of The Bangles' fan club. Every year they sent something signed at Christmas, such as a signed paper ornament one year and signed cassette tape another year.