Home Autographs Forum
Options

OK....Let's see what you've got.....post something!

Comments

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic items.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

An in-person autograph from Leonard Nimoy of Star Trek fame when he was here 20-some years ago exhibiting his photography.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 11:56AM

Over the years if I ran out of ideas or things to get signed sometimes I would concoct a new project and give it a try.

Here is a check for one cent that I sent to actor Bob Newhart to see if he would endorse it. I included a return envelope for its return.

Yesterday it came back. Not sure if I'll continue with this project or not - we'll see. But it helps keep the ideas flowing and you never know if it might elicit an interesting response from the signer.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I am sure that i just wrote to Armstrong and asked for a signed photo. It was his decision to not inscribe it. My guess is that by then he was either tired of all the photo signing, or perhaps he was out of town and left a stack for filling autograph requests, but that's all just speculation in my part.

I have an interesting story. Sometime in 2005-2006 I decided to try something different to see if I could get Neil Armstrong to sign for me through the mail. I was well aware he stopped signing in the early 1990s but I was aware that he read his fan mail, or at least someone did as you always got some sort of response.

I had written him a few times prior but those resulted in either a preprint, or letter from his secretary. This time I decided to write him a very long (5 pages) handwritten letter praising him. Instead of talking about the moon landing, I decided to praise him for his service in the Korean War. I figured that would make my letter stand out to whomever was reading them. I also included a different photo than most requesters probably sent. It was a more recent photo of Neil Armstrong standing next to Mickey Mouse at Disneyland. I asked in my letter if he would sign it and personalize it to me. I did not expect to have any success with this, and expected another preprint with my photo returned unsigned, but I figured I would try. When I sent this request, I did something different. I sent it registered with signature confirmation. If Armstrong picked up his mail, perhaps he would sign the slip (in those days you got the signed slip returned to you in the mail as proof he received letter). Unfortunately and expectedly his handler signed the slip, but I figured maybe my letter would now stand out because of how I mailed it. About two weeks later I get my request back. I was shocked to see my photo not unsigned but SORT of signed. It seems Armstrong has a sense of humor and signed my photo “To Juli — Good Luck, Mickey —”

• Options

Fantastic Armstrong story!

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:
    I am sure that i just wrote to Armstrong and asked for a signed photo. It was his decision to not inscribe it. My guess is that by then he was either tired of all the photo signing, or perhaps he was out of town and left a stack for filling autograph requests, but that's all just speculation in my part.

I have an interesting story. Sometime in 2005-2006 I decided to try something different to see if I could get Neil Armstrong to sign for me through the mail. I was well aware he stopped signing in the early 1990s but I was aware that he read his fan mail, or at least someone did as you always got some sort of response.

I had written him a few times prior but those resulted in either a preprint, or letter from his secretary. This time I decided to write him a very long (5 pages) handwritten letter praising him. Instead of talking about the moon landing, I decided to praise him for his service in the Korean War. I figured that would make my letter stand out to whomever was reading them. I also included a different photo than most requesters probably sent. It was a more recent photo of Neil Armstrong standing next to Mickey Mouse at Disneyland. I asked in my letter if he would sign it and personalize it to me. I did not expect to have any success with this, and expected another preprint with my photo returned unsigned, but I figured I would try. When I sent this request, I did something different. I sent it registered with signature confirmation. If Armstrong picked up his mail, perhaps he would sign the slip (in those days you got the signed slip returned to you in the mail as proof he received letter). Unfortunately and expectedly his handler signed the slip, but I figured maybe my letter would now stand out because of how I mailed it. About two weeks later I get my request back. I was shocked to see my photo not unsigned but SORT of signed. It seems Armstrong has a sense of humor and signed my photo “To Juli — Good Luck, Mickey —”

Juli from Star Tiger! Hello!

I have always remembered that story and photo.

I think you should email Steve Zarelli and ask him if he would be able to do an email quick opinion just based on the handwriting. If he will, then it's only $10 to get a determination of likely authenticity. (For a formal decision and letter you need to ship it to him and it costs more.)

I have always felt it was real. I hope you have or will type out the story and sign it (and maybe get it notarized) to document the history. That is a truly unique piece.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2021 3:19PM

I was poking around through some of my stuff which is badly in need of organization, and I rediscovered this. I sent Ray Bradbury a piece of artist's masonite many years ago and he did a sketch of one of his crazy monster-like creatures (or maybe a self-portrait? :# ).

• Options

@JBK said:

I think you should email Steve Zarelli and ask him if he would be able to do an email quick opinion just based on the handwriting. If he will, then it's only $10 to get a determination of likely authenticity. (For a formal decision and letter you need to ship it to him and it costs more.)

I have always felt it was real. I hope you have or will type out the story and sign it (and maybe get it notarized) to document the history. That is a truly unique piece.

That is cool you remember me from Star Tiger. I remember you too. I have been off the site since 2017 so I have no idea what’s going on there now.

I already had it checked out and authenticated. I believe it was Steve Zarelli that looked at it too...he’s the NASA/space autograph expert.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

That is cool you remember me from Star Tiger. I remember you too. I have been off the site since 2017 so I have no idea what’s going on there now.

I already had it checked out and authenticated. I believe it was Steve Zarelli that looked at it too...he’s the NASA/space autograph expert.

That's great! Did you do the quick opinion or ship it off to him? I am afraid to let my NA out of my sight.

I am still on ST but I haven't posted in years. It just auto-renews every six months and I don't notice. :neutral:

I still use it for addresses sometimes. If you need an address just send me a message and I'll look it up.

I can't believe you had to sell off most of your collection. You had some great stuff.

To update everyone else here, she was a new collector back then who aimed high. I believe you even bought a Walt Disney. And that Neil Armstrong success was epic, something that no one else could have done.

I almost tried to look you up on ST several years ago to let you know about a rare opportunity that popped up. I had heard that Laura Bush's dog passed away and so I sent her a condolence note. I got back a partially printed thank you note that she added a handwritten note to and then she AND Pres. Bush signed it. He is very tough to get and I figured you could write a letter that would get a reply. But the short window for that opportunity didn't last long, unfortunately.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2021 5:03PM

One more Neil Armstrong anecdote...

On the 40th anniversary of the Moon Landing the three crew members were in Washington D.C. for a special White House and Congressional commemorative event. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi ran up to Neil Armstrong with the event's program and a pen, and even before she could ask him to sign it, Neil said "sorry, I don't do that anymore."

That helps put into perspective how monumental a success that Mickey Mouse photo was. :smile:

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 4:47AM

@JBK said:

That's great! Did you do the quick opinion or ship it off to him? I am afraid to let my NA out of my sight.

I am still on ST but I haven't posted in years. It just auto-renews every six months and I don't notice. :neutral:

I still use it for addresses sometimes. If you need an address just send me a message and I'll look it up.

I can't believe you had to sell off most of your collection. You had some great stuff.

To update everyone else here, she was a new collector back then who aimed high. I believe you even bought a Walt Disney. And that Neil Armstrong success was epic, something that no one else could have done.

I almost tried to look you up on ST several years ago to let you know about a rare opportunity that popped up. I had heard that Laura Bush's dog passed away and so I sent her a condolence note. I got back a partially printed thank you note that she added a handwritten note to and then she AND Pres. Bush signed it. He is very tough to get and I figured you could write a letter that would get a reply. But the short window for that opportunity didn't last long, unfortunately.

Just did the Neil Armstrong authentication online, I don’t like sending in my autographs unless they are of low value, I am selling them, or I have two and I can risk losing one.

In 2011 I sold a vast majority or my collection. I kept a very small selection of favorite autographs. Sadly I lost a lot of money on what I sold due to authentication services not being very readily available and the cost associated with them. 80% of what I sold was of low value so it was hardly worth getting authenticated. I sold much of it on eBay and foolishly started EVERYTHING at 99 cents thinking that would attract lots of bidders. The higher end items I sold on RRAuction and some did well (Frank Abagnale Jr. for one sold for about $400 which I got several free ttm), while others I did poor on (Humphrey Bogart I paid $1800 and sold for a little over $500). In the end though I was still at a loss of about $1000. I know I definitely overpaid for many autographs I purchased. I did indeed own a Walt Disney. It was a signed check. I ended up selling that for very close to what I paid ($1600). I think now though they are worth much more (over $2000).

I do still collect presidents (and First Ladies) but I am mostly interested in Democratic presidents now for modern presidential autographs. I recently got very lucky and was able to get the autographed Deluxe Edition of Barack Obama’s book, A Promised Land, at the book store for its original price of $350. It’s one of my favorite autographs in my small collection now. I do not have Michelle Obama‘s autograph but may try to get that someday.

I also still collect movie autographs and historical autographs but I keep it to a minimum.

@JBK said:
    One more Neil Armstrong anecdote...

On the 40th anniversary of the Moon Landing the three crew members were in Washington D.C. for a special White House and Congressional commemorative event. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi ran up to Neil Armstrong with the event's program and a pen, and even before she could ask him to sign it, Neil said "sorry, I don't do that anymore."

That helps put into perspective how monumental a success that Mickey Mouse photo was. :smile:

Wow! I did not realize that! Thanks for sharing. That would date that event as being in 2009 which was just years after I had my interesting sort of success.

I still hope to someday get an actual Neil Armstrong signature (be it a signature alone or a photo) but not wanting to spend too much on it.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 4:46AM

Delete

• Options

Here is another author Ray Bradbury I came across today in one of my piles. He added a sketch of a cat on the back.

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Still rooting through late father's boxes and here are some I found that were interesting. Maybe not great quality as didn't want to remove them from frames for scanning so just phone snaps.

and in the mix of sports was:

But not sure at all who guy with Burns is.

Enjoy the weekend! :)

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

And one more...

• Options

Nice Steve Largent. I have a couple from his time in politics.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2021 10:59AM

Lived outside DC in the late 90s. The RockBottom Remainders came to town - for those who don't know, it's a "rock group" made up entirely of writers. For this concert, they had Warren Zevon as a guest for the night's fundraiser. I picked up this multi-signed item for a nice donation to the DC soccer program. As you can tell by the tape measure it's too large to encapsulate, and the # of signers makes it $100 to authenticate. Hoping for a good quarterly to help me out some day... Dave Barry's not on PSA's price list, so is it even authenticatable?

Jim

• Options

Fantastic piece.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2021 3:02PM

Over the years I have tended to cast a wide net with politicians since you just never know where people will end up.

I rediscovered this letter recently. A letter from a senator's wife took on new meaning 33 years after it was written.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2021 4:15AM

@JBK said:
    Over the years I have tended to cast a wide net with politicians since you just never know where people will end up.

I rediscovered this letter recently. A letter from a senator's wife took on new meaning 33 years after it was written.

Something that complements yours is this signed letter from Senator Biden that I received in April 1973, a few months after Biden's first taking office and after his first wife died in an auto accident. I have always assumed that the signature was a secretarial.

• Options

I don't see any obvious reason to think it's sectetarial. I'd keep my eye open for other signatures from that era to compare.

It's a great, if sad, slice of history.

I have developed an appreciation for letters from even lesser figures that capture an important moment in time.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I don't see any obvious reason to think it's sectetarial. I'd keep my eye open for other signatures from that era to compare.

I have developed an appreciation for letters from even lesser figures that capture an important moment in time.

I just assume that a U.S. Senator wouldn't sign his own letters, especially since he probably received lots of condolences back then.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@JBK said:

I just assume that a U.S. Senator wouldn't sign his own letters, especially since he probably received lots of condolences back then.

I have gotten lots of legit signed letters from senators. Over the years autopens and printed signatures far outweigh real ones, but especially back then they did send out some real ones.

The fact that it is a condolence letter increases its chance of being real, in my opinion. It was a very personal subject, and it was a delayed reply, possibly because he was in fact signing them himself.

I'd say it is definitely worth more scrutiny and study.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@JBK said:

@ernie11 said:

@JBK said:

>

I have gotten lots of legit signed letters from senators. Over the years autopens and printed signatures far outweigh real ones, but especially back then they did send out some real ones.

The fact that it is a condolence letter increases its chance of being real, in my opinion. It was a very personal subject, and it was a delayed reply, possibly because he was in fact signing them himself.

I think it definitely has a chance of being authentic. I have a story for you guys.

Back in 2005-2006 I attempted on several occasions to get the sitting Presidents’ autograph through the mail. I failed many times until I had the idea to write to his Chief of Staff. I got really lucky for two reasons: I happened to send my request just in time before he unexpectedly resigned, and I got a favorable response...he sent me his autograph, which I requested, as well as sending me an authentic hand signed photo from the President. I had it checked out and it was not the usual autopen or preprint. This was the only time I got a sitting Presidents’ autograph through the mail, but I have heard that other presidents while in office, particularly Obama, would pick ten letters a week and respond to them personally with a handwritten signed note on White House letterhead. I never got one of these but I have seen examples online from people who did. So yeah, it’s definitely possible to get an autograph from a sitting senator.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@ernie11 said:

@JBK said:

@ernie11 said:

@JBK said:

>

I think it definitely has a chance of being authentic. I have a story for you guys.

Back in 2005-2006 I attempted on several occasions to get the sitting Presidents’ autograph through the mail. I failed many times until I had the idea to write to his Chief of Staff. I got really lucky for two reasons: I happened to send my request just in time before he unexpectedly resigned, and I got a favorable response...he sent me his autograph, which I requested, as well as sending me an authentic hand signed photo from the President. I had it checked out and it was not the usual autopen or preprint. This was the only time I got a sitting Presidents’ autograph through the mail, but I have heard that other presidents while in office, particularly Obama, would pick ten letters a week and respond to them personally with a handwritten signed note on White House letterhead. I never got one of these but I have seen examples online from people who did. So yeah, it’s definitely possible to get an autograph from a sitting senator.

Another insane success that only you could pull.off! :)

During the GHW Bush years I sent a book by Bush that was translated into Chinese and printed in China (I picked up a couple copies thru a small importer). I sent it to him via his chief of staff Andrew Card. A short time later I got a thank you letter from Bush. I was never 100% sure if it was real or not, but it did not match his common autopens. I guess I need to dig that letter out and do some more research.

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Audrey Hepburn 1992. This is a photograph of us on the CH-46, right before she signed the personalized autograph. Her long-time partner, Robert Wolders took the photo of us with my camera. I was a USMC Combat Photographer with the 11th MEU (SOC) in Somalia, September 1992. The recent documentary on Audrey Hepburn shows her walking to the helicopter and departing aboard the USS Tarawa.

• Options

@bramn8r said:
    Audrey Hepburn 1992. This is a photograph of us on the CH-46, right before she signed the personalized autograph. Her long-time partner, Robert Wolders took the photo of us with my camera. I was a USMC Combat Photographer with the 11th MEU (SOC) in Somalia, September 1992. The recent documentary on Audrey Hepburn shows her walking to the helicopter and departing aboard the USS Tarawa.

That is outstanding!

I am really glad you thought to get the autograph since a lot of people would have just settled for a photo.

• Options

@JBK said:

During the GHW Bush years I sent a book by Bush that was translated into Chinese and printed in China (I picked up a couple copies thru a small importer). I sent it to him via his chief of staff Andrew Card. A short time later I got a thank you letter from Bush. I was never 100% sure if it was real or not, but it did not match his common autopens. I guess I need to dig that letter out and do some more research.

Please dig that out. It was Andy Card I wrote to as well. I bet it has a good chance of being authentic. I have studied Bush’s autograph extensively (as well as all presidents since FDR and a few earlier ones like Lincoln) so I usually have a pretty good idea if it’s authentic or not by looking at it. I sort of have all his autopen patterns memorized (those used during his presidency).

I once saw a Lincoln autograph being sold at a show and I had a bad feeling about it. Sure enough when I got home and researched it, I found out it was done by a well known forger.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been collecting autographs since 1986, but really partial to Carole Landis, whom I have displayed instead of binders.

The paper/album page i've had since 1991 & can't part with it.

• Options

A very nice group of signed material!

• Options

That's a shrine!

But she drank Schaefer. :o:D

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Myself & ex with Gary Carter about 1985, Mets fan..

2 nice auto 10 grades back recently..

86 Mets group.

Jack Dempsey & B. Russell.. full name auto

My cat says Hi.. Lol

• Options

That's some good stuff. I'm dying to know what sort of document was chopped up for that Bill Russell.

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

My Grandparents bought a house that had suffered fire damage many years ago. When they were in the process of restoring the place, they found this in the attic:

• Options
    edited May 18, 2021 5:57PM

I would like to see what people here have for U.S. president autographs (those autographs that have not been posted yet). If they have a personal nature (an address) you can block that out, or just post a picture of the signature if the letter or item has information you don’t wish to share.

I don’t have much to show unfortunately as I had sold a vast majority of my autographs over ten years ago. I am now trying to rebuild some of my U.S. president collection but my goal is to get them through the mail, in person, or for little cost (buying signed book for price of book or just a little over). Sadly I never saved a picture of my awesome George W. Bush success. I had two that absolutely were good — one from Andy Card and one on a bookplate from his Decision Point bookplate from ttm).

I do however have a picture of an in person Bill Clinton autograph a friend helped get for me in 2006. Sadly I had sold this as well. (My first and last name are terribly misspelled as the friend who got it didn’t really know how to spell it and just told Clinton how he thought it was spelt.)

• Options

Here is a vice presidential autograph card from George HW Bush. They were easy to get when he was VP.

I sent it to Gerald Ford and Richard Nixon for their signatures. The three were all VPs who went on to become President.

• Options

When this picture was taken Bush was VP. Carter and Ford were on their way to monitor the Nicaraguan elections. They met at the White House before the trip.

I got the Carter at a book signing and the others through the mail.

• Options
    edited May 19, 2021 8:20AM

As VP, George H.W. Bush was pretty easy to get. Here are a couple responses I received.

• Options

Pretty cool...looks like you got those only about a week apart from each other. I wish Kamala Harris was responsive ttm like VP Bush was. But I guess people started writing the VP too much that they are also now unable to respond with authentic autographs.

• Options
    edited May 19, 2021 8:09AM

@JMS1223 said:
    Pretty cool...looks like you got those only about a week apart from each other.

Wow! You're right. I didn't even notice.

That's what it was like with GHWB.

No one since then comes anywhere close to his responsiveness. I can't think of any genuine signed letters from any VP that I've received since then.

• Options
    edited May 19, 2021 4:37AM

That's what is easy like with GHWB.

No one since then comes anywhere close to his responsiveness. I can't think of any genuine signed letters from any VP that I've received since then.

That would explain why Bush handwritten or typed notes/letters are fairly cheap. I had seen some handwritten short notes go for just around $100 (although faded). Any other VP that later became president is much more expensive in handwritten letter form even if faded.

Wow, I just found a signed letter with a handwritten note that sold for only $15 on eBay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/164722149108 ) Unbelievable. I wish I saw this when it was active. I would had bought that.

• Options
    edited May 19, 2021 8:26AM

Wow! That letter was a bit abused but worth well over 10 times what it sold for. It was misidentified as GWB, but either way went way too cheap.

I had a score sort of like that a couple years ago. I got a signed letter from Eleanor Roosevelt (Mrs. FDR) for $1 plus $1 for shipping.

The ebay listing had a terrible title and it was not in an autograph category (it was under a First Ladies category), but I was still surprised that no one else bid.

Sometimes you get lucky.

• Options
    edited May 19, 2021 8:21AM

With GHWB content is especially important for the letter/note. There are lots out there so anything that sets it apart is desirable.

I picked up an early GWHB letter from his first (unsuccessful) race for Congress for around $40. I thought that was a steal, but that's nothing like WH letter for $15.

• Options

>

I had a score sort of like that a couple years ago. I got a signed letter from Eleanor Roosevelt (Mrs. FDR) for $1 plus $1 for shipping.

The ebay listing had a terrible title and it was not in an autograph category (it was under a First Ladies category), but I was still surprised that no one else bid.

Sometimes you get lucky.

Congrats on that find! $2 total is an absolute steal for that. I will keep looking. Sometimes I think I see a steal then I realize it’s autopen. There is this George W. Bush handwritten letter that was sent to supporters for his Presidential campaign but it turns out the whole letter is oddly autopen with the exception of the name and state of each recipient— a secretary filled in name and state to match with rest of letter. It looks very convincing but once I found a second example I saw them match up 100% except the name and state. So got to be careful.

Just saw a nice autopen Reagan letter/notecard on eBay - it was his famous Alzheimer’s letter from 1994 (I think). Looks real with it on nice embossed letterhead and all.

• Options

The only presidents that I currently have in my collection are Gerald Ford and JFK. When the Fords were signing for $2 per signature I had a pretty good number of assorted items signed. The JFK came from my mom's cousin Kathleen who met him at the event featured on the program cover. Years ago upon learning that I collected autographs Kathleen had mentioned that she had a JFK autograph and that she would send it to me whenever she came across it. After a number of years had passed and the autograph hadn't arrived I assumed it was lost or that she had just forgotten about offering it to me. Two years ago Kathleen passed away and the will executor contacted me about some of her belongings. I related the story of the JFK signature and the executor said they would watch for it when going through all of Kathleen's papers. Sometime later I was notified that the signature had been found and that they would hold it for me. I expected no more than a quick scribble on a crumpled piece of paper and was ecstatic when I finally got to see it. (The program actually features a portrait of then Iowa Governor Herschel Loveless but I have printed a Kennedy portrait and affixed that to the archival sleeve which houses the program.)

• Options

@PipestonePete said:
    When the Fords were signing for $2 per signature I had a pretty good number of assorted items signed.

I remember I had just started collecting right after this deal ended. I was so upset I never got to take advantage of it — but even if I had I probably wouldn’t have those autographs today seeing as I sold most of everything I had in 2011. Only recently decided to try collecting U.S. Presidents again - but don’t want to spend a lot of money so I will only collect what I can get ttm, in person or if I catch a good deal such as a steal on eBay, flea market find or a book signing.

Congrats on the JFK. That’s a rather nice one and one you can be confident is authentic knowing it’s origins. I am sure you will see in another thread I posted about my JFK letter find at a flea market but letter turned out to be secretarial signed.

• Options

That is a great JFK story.

I recall the Great Gerald and Betty Ford Autograph Blowout.

I had somehow exhausted my privileges with GF (for some unknown reason I never did request anything from Betty), but when the final signing offer came along I was able to get a couple more pictures of both of them.

• Options

Here is a letter sent to my great-grandfather by FDR.

I never have compared it to known secretarial signatures - I prefer to just believe it is real. ;)

Many years ago my grandmother gave this to me since she knew I collected autographs.

• Options

That FDR looks authentic to me.