Home Autographs Forum
Options

OK....Let's see what you've got.....post something!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2021 12:03PM

@JMS1223 said:
    Thinking back on my former collection I had Ronald Reagan’s autograph on a nice 8x10 photo of him speaking at a podium that I purchased. Personalized and at the time quite expensive ($620) considering that I have seen non-personalized 8x10s go for the $300-$400 recently. However, I did buy it somewhat shortly (purchased in Fall 2005) after he passed away so I am thinking that’s why.

That's a great photo. You're right - it was probably priced accordingly due to the timing.

I don't mind the inscription. The more writing the better as far as authentication is concerned.

I never did get just a signed photo of him. I have one TTM from when he was running for president but a dealer didn't like the look of it. The next time I find it I'll post a picture.

• Options

BTW....the real signed bookplates were inscribed and stuck in if you sent the book to his office. But they also sent out uninscribed bookplates upon request, but those were autopen.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

I got one of those free signatures in a book I sent (on a calligraphy inscribed bookplate).

When he was still signing you could also buy a couple different of his books from the library, signed on bookplate, for $75 each. I recall thinking that was pretty pricey at the time, but I did buy one of each. I now wish I had bought ten of each.

You are making me envious. You have the framed library photo, two bookplates/books, and a ttm so that sounds like FOUR Ronald Reagan autographs. I have zero. If you are feeling in the holiday spirit perhaps you could gift me one. ;)

• Options

@JBK said:
    BTW....the real signed bookplates were inscribed and stuck in if you sent the book to his office. But they also sent out uninscribed bookplates upon request, but those were autopen.

That’s very good to know. I have seen those autopen bookplates before. I had wondered why some bookplates were authentic and why some autopen and just assumed some were signed before he stopped signing and others after. But now I know the actual reason.

Since I have studied Reagan’s autograph quite extensively I can usually tell just by looking at a Reagan signature if it’s secretarial, autopen, forgery or authentic. I had once scored an authentic one due to my knowledge but because I tried to remove the icky looking secretarial inscription (and just keep the real signature), it got all messed up as it ended up removing part of the photo with it so it didn’t look nice at all. I wish I had kept a before and after of that botched job.

I can probably tell you immediately after you post a picture of the Reagan ttm you got if it’s the common secretarial he used early on before becoming President.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

I got one of those free signatures in a book I sent (on a calligraphy inscribed bookplate).

When he was still signing you could also buy a couple different of his books from the library, signed on bookplate, for $75 each. I recall thinking that was pretty pricey at the time, but I did buy one of each. I now wish I had bought ten of each.

You are making me envious. You have the framed library photo, two bookplates/books, and a ttm so that sounds like FOUR Ronald Reagan autographs. I have zero. If you are feeling in the holiday spirit perhaps you could gift me one. ;)

Don't forget my handwritten note from him. :D

• Options

I'll post that early photo when I find it for you to assess.

I also have a signed RR speech transcript that I bought from a reputable dealer many years ago which at the time was assumed to be a legitimate form of his signature but I now fear may be secretarial. I'll post that one as well when I come across it.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2021 12:44PM

@JBK said:

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

That one make me the most envious! You got handwritten signed notes/letters from several U.S. Presidents, I never got any ttm. Closest thing was George W. Bush on a photo (twice). If I remember correctly you have handwritten letters/notes from Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, Carter, and maybe George W. Bush? Or maybe that was just a signature with a typed note.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2021 1:59PM

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

That one make me the most envious! You got handwritten signed notes/letters from several U.S. Presidents, I never got any ttm. Closest thing was George W. Bush on a photo (twice). If I remember correctly you have handwritten letters/notes from Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, Carter, and maybe George W. Bush? Or maybe that was just a signature with a typed note.

Hmmm. Your memory might be better than mine. Let's see....

Fully handwritten notes: Reagan, Clinton.

Handwritten notes on my letter or a PS on their typed note: GHW Bush, Carter.

GW Bush was "only" a signature on a printed card that was also signed with a handwritten note from Laura Bush.

All of these were gotten by little old me who has no connections to anyone. So, anything is possible. :)

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

With today being her 105 birthday, my Betty Grable.

• Options

Since today is Steven Spielberg’s 75th birthday I will share the two Steven Spielberg autographs in my collection.

I had been seeking a Steven Spielberg signed letter since I started collecting in 2005 and had to wait until 2016 to find the first one. I was shocked one finally came along AND it was reasonable too ($80). Shocking!

Then in October 2017 I stumbled upon the very specific thing I always wanted most in my collection: a Steven Spielberg signed letter mentioning my all time favorite film, Schindler’s List. It was also reasonably priced although more expensive than the first find ($250) but I couldn’t have been happier. It was the one item on my dream list and I never thought I would be able to buy one. The Schindler’s List letter is my favorite item in my entire collection (although my Barack Obama signed A Promised Land comes in a very close second).

• Options
    edited December 18, 2021 12:35PM

That's a great photo of BG.

And those SS letters are both great - they mention important works of his.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2021 12:31PM

As I've said previously, I sometimes like to leverage materials and opportunities to get a little creative. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I don't even realize how good the outcome was until much later with the passage of time.

I recently came into a pad of vintage prescription forms. I have been sending a few out to people who I think can add something even remotely relevant.

Here is a reply from Dennis the Menace cartoonist Ron Ferdinand. He drew Dennis giving his dog a checkup with a tongue depressor.

And here is Mike Farrell, who played Dr. BJ Hunnicut on MASH. He seems to be prescribing me Peace. :)

P.S. - it's amazing how much fun you can sometimes have in this hobby for very little cost.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I recently came into a pad of vintage prescription forms. I have been sending a few out to people who I think can add something even remotely relevant.

P.S. - it's amazing how much fun you can sometimes have in this hobby for very little cost.

I am sure you looked into it, but does Dr. Fauci sign ttm? It might get an interesting reply if he responded to a request to sign a prescription form.

I agree that this hobby can be quite fun for little cost when you have creative ideas that get interesting replies.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2021 12:48PM

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

I am sure you looked into it, but does Dr. Fauci sign ttm? It might get an interesting reply if he responded to a request to sign a prescription form.

I agree that this hobby can be quite fun for little cost when you have creative ideas that get interesting replies.

I have a sort of mental list of potential candidates for a signature, and he would be one.

But I might wait until he is out of govt before I try - he might feel more free to reply then.

• Options

This one is fresh from the post office.

A couple years ago I obtained a small quantity of unused stationary from President Gerald R. Ford's post-presidential years. I have been trying to think of some appropriate things to use it for.

One idea was to have political cartoonists from the Ford years draw a sketch on one of the sheets, but it turns out that most of them are no longer with us. :'(

One who is still around is former Boston Globe political cartoonist Paul Szep. I sent him a sheet of the paper and this came back today:

The sketch and commentary are more than I ever could have hoped for. This is one of those projects that either does or does not work out, and this one definitely did!

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

FANTASTIC!

• Options

These past two "lost years" have been very challenging in regard to most things, and autograph collecting has definitely been impacted as well.

The great irony is that in addition to being one of the toughest years for collecting, 2021 has also been one my best ever.

Today another huge one (for me) arrived in the mail. It is a basic diagram of how the internet works, drawn by Dr. Vint Cerf, considered to be an inventor of the internet.

He used a special piece of stationery that I sent him. It is 75-year-old letterhead from my great-grandfather, who was a newspaper editor/owner (as well a member of the PA state senate). I wanted to link the information delivery system of the past to the one of the future.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've probably posted this before, apologies if I have. This guy used to do New Year's Eve shows regularly.

• Options

I don't think I ever got Dick Clark. :/

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP, Dwayne Hickman. I barely remember his old "Dobie Gillis" TV show. The autograph I got from him about 20 years ago. Love the photo of him with Bob Denver.

• Options

^Nice. I admit I didn't even know he was still alive.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this autograph in person after President Bush addressed the Show Me games in 1992

• Options

That's a nice one. I got a few signatures on those cards back in the day but I don't think I got him.

• Options

I just received my copy of "RENEGADES".

• Options

Those books have nice signatures.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2022 11:04AM

I got my copy of Renegades back in December in person at the bookstore. I took a chance and made sure to be the first in line as our store only got one copy. I lucked out and got it!

These are the signatures I got:

Barack Obama

Bruce Springsteen

• Options

Here's a new acquisition that I am very happy to have. It's swimmer Diana Nyad on a Cuban banknote.

She swam from Cuba to the US, quite an achievement that took a few tries before she succeeded.

This type of banknote might still have been in circulation in Cuba back when she first attempted the swim. I had some of these early Castro era banknotes on hand so that's what I used. (Note revolutionary Che Guevara's facsimile signature as president of the national bank. His real life signature was actually that small).

• Options

@JBK said:
    Here's a new acquisition that I am very happy to have. It's swimmer Diana Nyad on a Cuban banknote.

She swam from Cuba to the US, quite an achievement that took a few tries before she succeeded.

That is VERY cool. Thanks for sharing. I love when autographs can tie in with currency.

• Options

It's funny - I used to sort of look down on a lot of autographed banknotes because some people just get random signatures on unrelated notes. But when there is a connection between the two it can be a nice memento.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭

remember these UD pieces from the 1990's? they were fun to have signed:

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2022 3:13PM

Here's my "Harvey" sketch from James Stewart.

Back then I had to scrounge for good quality paper. I used high quality art paper and cut it down to about 5x7.

This sketch has a couple "tells" that I look for on other sketches I see online. Forgers almost always miss them.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2022 3:15PM

Years ago I collected signed military oaths from famous veterans.

Back them there were no high quality printers (except for dot matrix). So, you needed a good quality typewriter with all the letters straight and evenly spaced.
    You then got some high quality paper (this Crane's has held up great). Then you sat down and figured out margins, spacing. etc. on the page, and you started typing very carefully.

Here author Kurt Vonnegut has signed the oath after crossing out "So help me God" at the end, and he added his army serial number.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2022 7:17PM

Sorry for the bad photo, but here is a form letter Gerald R. Ford sent out when people like me sent him a copy of the Five Presidents photo to be autographed.

I had ponied up for a 16x20 inch print with a wide "signature border" at the bottom, ordered from the Reagan Library where the photo was taken.

This was the first time five US Presidents had been together in one place. (It since happened once again with a slightly different line-up).

President Ford replied with this letter to explain that they had signed a limited number for each other and that was supposed to be it. In reality, they did occasionally sign others. But not for me. :(

It is a very informative letter covering a significant event in the presidential autograph field. It also references the previous record-breaking Four Presidents photo.

Ironically, the letter declining to sign my photo was authentically signed by Ford.

I've seen at least one other so I know that others exist, but I have no idea how common they are.

P.S. - After failing in my attempt, my intention was to send it to the last surviving of the five to see if he would sign it with a special inscription, but around the time he attained that distinction, President Carter stopped signing through the mail.

• Options

I don't have a photo of one of the many signatures I got years ago from Negro Leagues player and later MLB coach Buck O'Neil, but I see that he was elected posthumously into the Baseball Hall of Fame this week.

He was a tireless ambassador for baseball and the Negro Leagues Museum, and it is no surprise he was voted into the BHOF. It's just too bad he didn't get that honor in his lifetime.

He passed away in 2006, well into the Internet age, so I assume his autograph isn't rare. However, once a player becomes a HOFer the demand usually increases significantly. I wonder if all those autographs that he so generously signed will increase in demand now that he will be in the HOF.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2022 5:53PM

Although this is a quick photo, here is a new Carole Landis typed/signed letter dated 3 and a half months before her death.

I tried to buy one just 6 days before her death, but the owner had emotional attachments since it was her mom's and priced it at an "I dont want to sell it" price. O well.

Anyone not familiar with Carole Landis, http://carolelandis.net/ is a great website run by her family. She has a wonderful history despite a short life.

The content of this letter is much better than my other one too since it talks about a movie of hers, time in England, where she was filming what would be her last 2 movies, and her performance for British royals which is well documented.

• Options

Great item!

• Options

Great content.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2022 10:07AM

Another one of my autographs of a forgotten silent film actress turned research scientist, Justine Johnston.

A genuine autograph of hers is extremely rare.

She also found the cure for syphilis, advanced cancer research, had a laboratory built in her home, & was a social activist.

Why aren't people like her taught in schools? :(

• Options

Wow! Never heard of her.

And that is the problem.... :#

• Options

• Options

Did you buy that or get lucky ttm years ago and got that yourself? That is AWESOME! To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite novel of all time. I would LOVE to have Harper Lee’s autograph.

• Options

@JMS1223 said:
    I got my copy of Renegades back in December in person at the bookstore. I took a chance and made sure to be the first in line as our store only got one copy. I lucked out and got it!

Barack Obama

Bruce Springsteen

What do you plan on doing with the signatures? I keep going back and forth between opening my book and framing the signatures with a nice photo.

• Options

Did you buy that or get lucky ttm years ago and got that yourself? That is AWESOME! To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite novel of all time. I would LOVE to have Harper Lee’s autograph.

This particular quote I bought on Ebay several years ago. I used to write Ms. Lee back in the 90's and early 2000's and she generously signed just about anything I would send her. Here is a quote that she signed for me TTM that I sold 10 years ago (which I have since sold).

• Options

I keep hearing that Harper Lee was extremely tough to get. Not on the level of J.D. Salinger, but still very tough.

I tried once or twice - I think I wrote to ask if she would sign a book and I included a SASE, but I never heard back.

You did great to get responses!

• Options

I've also been hearing that 1960s (and beyond) artist and illustrator Robert Crumb has always been very tough to get.

A few years ago, not knowing this, I innocently sent him two printed quotes to sign along with a blank card in case he had another quote to add. He signed my two, and handwrote a third. He used various forms of his signature on the three cards.

If I had known the conventional wisdom from the start I might never have tried.

• Options

I frequently read that Harper Lee was a recluse who didn't sign but I had success almost every time I ever wrote her. And, it didn't matter what I asked to have signed....books, photos, FDCs, typescripts, etc. One of my pride and joy signings was this copy of TKAM that I was able to get a number of the cast to sign as well as Ms. Lee.

• Options

@mberk29 said:

@JMS1223 said:

Barack Obama

Bruce Springsteen

What do you plan on doing with the signatures? I keep going back and forth between opening my book and framing the signatures with a nice photo.

I bought two books so I did both. However when I bought the first book I didn’t know I was getting a second a month later. I decided to cut the signatures out of the first book. The second book I bought because it was a good deal so I couldn’t pass it up. That copy I decided to keep in the book.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2022 5:01PM

@PipestonePete said:

This particular quote I bought on Ebay several years ago. I used to write Ms. Lee back in the 90's and early 2000's and she generously signed just about anything I would send her. Here is a quote that she signed for me TTM that I sold 10 years ago (which I have since sold).

I love that quote you got ttm 10 years ago. One of my favorites. I wish I knew about it when it was for sale. I would had scooped that up (and inevitably resold it since it would have probably been a victim of my big sell off in 2011). ;)

@PipestonePete said:
    I frequently read that Harper Lee was a recluse who didn't sign but I had success almost every time I ever wrote her. And, it didn't matter what I asked to have signed....books, photos, FDCs, typescripts, etc.

If you have any more Harper Lee autographs you are looking to sell I am definitely a buyer. :)

• Options
    edited February 3, 2022 12:01PM

My new purchase just arrived: It’s a Martin Luther King Jr. First Day Cover signed by Rosa Parks and Coretta Scott King (MLK Jr.’s wife). This is extremely rare to have something signed by both and the first such item I have ever seen that way. I have been wanting Rosa Parks’ autograph for some time now and when I saw this (thanks to a fellow member who found it on a dealer’s website) it was not only a fair price for Rosa Parks but to also have Coretta Scott King makes it twice as awesome. Paid $595. Parks’ autographs on a slip of paper often go for around that. Extremely happy with this item. Better than all the other Rosa Parks’ signed items I have seen. Glad I did not end up with any of them because I like this one the best. Love the FDC that is signed and the fact it is also signed by MLK Jr.’s wife!