Home Autographs Forum

OK....Let's see what you've got.....post something!

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

^That is pretty special and your photo is so much better too. Congrats on getting a long time want.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great item.

Congratulations!

I did get CSK once, on a similar FDC.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

The search feature on these forums is not very efficient, so I'm not sure if I posted this before or not. Annie Lennox of the Eurythmics, obtained TTM in 1997.

edited February 6, 2022 2:15PM

I have one similar, from about the same time-frame.

edited February 16, 2022 2:25PM

Here is a recent purchase. (The photos are from the ebay auction by dealer Herman Darvick.)

It is a form apparently prepared by the publishers of "Who's Who in America" with biographical information, and they sent this to accomplished actress Lillian Gish to approve.

For collectors over a certain age, the "Who's Who" books were an invaluable resource for addresses of notable people prior to the Internet age.

On another thread @JMS1223 mentioned that autograph values in general have gone up, except for classic Hollywood stars. This auction proves it.

This is not necessarily displayable in a frame, but it's interesting, a remnant of another era in autograph collecting and celebrity publicity, and it has what must be an extremely rare full signature. It cost me $20 shipped. :open_mouth:

• JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

For collectors over a certain age, the "Who's Who" books were an invaluable resource for addresses of notable people prior to the Internet age.

On another thread @JMS1223 mentioned that autograph values in general have gone up, except for classic Hollywood stars. This auction proves it.

This is not necessarily displayable in a frame, but it's interesting, a remnant of another era in autograph collecting and celebrity publicity, and it has what must be an extremely rare full signature. It cost me $20 shipped. :open_mouth:

I am familiar with the “Who’s Who” books and how they had to get the celebrities to sign these “agreements” to be included in them. I saw once on Pawn Stars someone who brought in hundreds of these documents signed by various celebrities. Some big names like Muhammad Ali and an early full signature of Arnold Schwarzenegger but most were small easy ttm names. I think he got a few thousand for them. There were a handful of nice early signatures. I think these documents are very interesting as they usually are most trusted to be authentic and include fuller signatures of some celebrities. I remember seeing a Tom Hanks one once and it was signed like “Thomas J. Hanks” from the 1980s. I think it went for too much which is why I don’t own it. They also include other information that is sometimes pretty interesting too.

@JBK said:
    Here is a recent purchase. (The photos are from the ebay auction by dealer Herman Darvick.)

It is a form apparently prepared by the publishers of "Who's Who in America" with biographical information, and they sent this to accomplished actress Lillian Gish to approve.

That's awesome, great price on that. Congrats.

edited February 16, 2022 2:46PM

I'm not sure I saw that episide, but it sounds interesting. The collection of documents compiled by the publishers must have been remarkable.

In the same weekly auction where my Lillian Gish appeared, there was also a Theodore Geisel signature (Dr. Suess) on his form which went for over $300.

Lillian was apparently a willing signer, too, which might also explain the nice price. When I was 18, she came to my college to do a presentation of silent films. I somehow got up the nerve to ask her for her autograph.

Nice!

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I'm not sure I saw that episide, but it sounds interesting. The collection of documents compiled by the publishers must have been remarkable.

In the same weekly auction where my Lillian Gish appeared, there was also a Theodore Geisel signature (Dr. Suess) on his form which went for over $300.

Here is my TTM Dr. Seuss.

@PipestonePete said:

@JBK said:

Here is my TTM Dr. Seuss.

Fantastic!!

Looks like it was drawn on the back of a gov't postcard, which helps with provenance.

edited February 17, 2022 1:26PM

On a side note, I went through a period about 30 years ago when I'd write to people to ask a question or make a request, and I enclosed one of those government issue postcards. I figured it increased my chances of getting a handwritten response, which it did. :p

I'm kind of apprehensive to use them now. They're so small and thin I'm afraid they'd get lost in the mail.

That's exactly how it was done back then. It really was a great way for making it easy for the person to respond. I
    still do it on occasion. The Seuss card dates from March, 1988. Here are several others that were received around the same time.

@PipestonePete said:
    That's exactly how it was done back then. It really was a great way for making it easy for the person to respond. I
    still do it on occasion. The Seuss card dates from March, 1988. Here are several others that were received around the same time.

Wow! Those are awesome! Lucky you getting those ttm. I know if I collected back then I could had gotten them myself but I was a small kid then and probably wouldn’t had been able to write a full letter and request. Also I didn’t even know how to get addresses until I randomly stumbled upon a book in the library in 1998 when I DID request a few ttm but sadly I didn’t catch the “bug” until 2005.

Many time the only address I had was a dateline on a newspaper article. I then went to the PO to look up a zip code. Fortunately, most of the time the PO was able to get the letter delivered even with that little amount of information printed on the envelope. Those days are long gone.

Wow! I got a very rare and unexpected one today. Stephen Breyer is known to not respond to mail let alone send authentic responses. Well today I got an envelope coming from the Supreme Court and I thought maybe it could be Breyer or more likely Sotomayor or another Justice. So I went and found my mail carrier to get the letter and guess what? It’s from Stephen Breyer! That is very rare even if it was a printed response he sent me. So when I got home I opened it up and it’s a HANDWRITTEN SIGNED LETTER!!!!

I sent Breyer a handwritten note with a drawing of the Supreme Court building on it in late January when he first announced his retirement. I knew I probably wasn’t going to get any kind of response but figured it would be nice to wish him a happy retirement.

So here is his handwritten response to my note (I blocked out my name for privacy):

I believe it reads:

“Feb 12, 2022

Dear (my full name)

Thank you for the note (and drawing,) much appreciated -

I send my best wishes

Stephen Breyer”

It definitely looks like his handwriting. Thrilled with this unbelievable response.

@JMS1223 said:
    Wow! I got a very rare and unexpected one today. Stephen Breyer is known to not respond to mail let alone send authentic responses. Well today I got an envelope coming from the Supreme Court and I thought maybe it could be Breyer or more likely Sotomayor or another Justice. So I went and found my mail carrier to get the letter and guess what? It’s from Stephen Breyer! That is very rare even if it was a printed response he sent me. So when I got home I opened it up and it’s a HANDWRITTEN SIGNED LETTER!!!!

I sent Breyer a handwritten note with a drawing of the Supreme Court building on it in late January when he first announced his retirement. I knew I probably wasn’t going to get any kind of response but figured it would be nice to wish him a happy retirement.

So here is his handwritten response to my note (I blocked out my name for privacy):

I believe it reads:

“Feb 12, 2022

Dear (my full name)

Thank you for the note (and drawing,) much appreciated -

I send my best wishes

Stephen Breyer”

It definitely looks like his handwriting. Thrilled with this unbelievable response.

That's cool, I'm happy for you. Congrats.

Congratulations!!

That type of response from Breyer is unheard of.

I agree with your translation.

Wow!! :p

I was just looking at Breyer signatures online (full ones and quick ones) and none look like the one on my letter but the handwriting looks right, so I am confused why the signature doesn’t seem consistent with any of the ones I found online? They all start at the bottom whereas mine starts at the top.

And his recent letter announcing his retirement for a very recent example:

Of course he used his more full signature for this, but still gives us an idea of what they should look like today,

I wouldn't worry. From his signature it is clear that he just scrawls something.

Also, he might have signed yours Stephen.

@JBK said:
    I wouldn't worry. From his signature it is clear that he just scrawls something.

Also, he might have signed yours Stephen.

Good news! I just found an example that starts like the signature on my letter.

So yeah, looks like the “Stephen” from this signature a little.

Apologies if I've posted this before. Actress June Lockhart from her "Lost in Space" TV show.

I've met her a few times, she's one of my favorites. She still going strong too.

edited February 21, 2022 1:30PM

My latest acquisition today, I volunteer at a thrift store and got this signed book there by astronaut Scott Kelly. Sorry about the crooked scan.

''

@ernie11 said:
    My latest acquisition today, I volunteer at a thrift store and got this signed book there by astronaut Scott Kelly. Sorry about the crooked scan.

''

Very nice score!

There is a signed book at the library where I work that I really want, and as far as I know, has NOT been checked out in years…and we have two unsigned copies of that same book that also have not circulated in years…so my hope is that they go through the collection soon and pull them (the handler of that particular area told me they would hold aside anything they discard). I will definitely post it here when and if I get it someday.

@JMS1223 said:

@ernie11 said:

''

Very nice score!

There is a signed book at the library where I work that I really want, and as far as I know, has NOT been checked out in years…and we have two unsigned copies of that same book that also have not circulated in years…so my hope is that they go through the collection soon and pull them (the handler of that particular area told me they would hold aside anything they discard). I will definitely post it here when and if I get it someday.

What is the fee if someone checks out a book and "loses" it? Can the person buy another copy to replace it? 😈

edited February 21, 2022 1:55PM

@JBK said:

@JMS1223 said:

@ernie11 said:

''

Very nice score!

What is the fee if someone checks out a book and "loses" it? Can the person buy another copy to replace it? 😈

Yes, but it has to be an EXACT new copy so that might mean it also has to be signed like the one I “lost.”

edited February 21, 2022 2:04PM

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

@JMS1223 said:

@ernie11 said:

''

Very nice score!

Yes, but it has to be an EXACT new copy so that might mean it also has to be signed like the one I “lost.”

A.) do they know they're signed?

B.) how would they know if the replacement book signature was real? ;)

Poof went my comment, so here it is again.

The library knows the book is signed because there is a sticker on the cover that says “signed edition” on it. It is also very possible the copyright page states this too and has it’s own ISBN number like the Obama deluxe editions do. The library believes it is signed simply because the publisher states it is. If this book was a regular book that someone got signed later and donated then the library may not recognize it as signed and thus would NOT be reflected in their catalog as signed. But when the publisher has it as a “signed edition” it goes in the catalog that way especially if is has a different ISBN number.

:'(

I thought I was on to the perfect crime. :p

edited February 21, 2022 2:22PM

@JBK said:

I already thought of ”losing” it but unfortunately because this came from the publisher signed I don’t think I can replace it with an unsigned copy.

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

I already thought of that but unfortunately because this came from the publisher signed I don’t think I can replace it with an unsigned copy.

Unless it's the Springsteen/Obama book. ;):D

@JBK said:

@JMS1223 said:

@JBK said:

I already thought of that but unfortunately because this came from the publisher signed I don’t think I can replace it with an unsigned copy.

Unless it's the Springsteen/Obama book. ;):D

Unfortunately I no longer have my “unsigned” copy >:) so no chance of trying that now. But you might be right, it would have the right look and numbers but they might notice the signed page gone… ;)

• DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

I just came across this today. I remember getting this autograph as a kid I must have been 7 or 8 years old at the time.
    It's Granville Liggins, when he played in the CFL for the Toronto Argonauts in the late 70's.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008

• DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

@Dgilbert said:
    I just came across this today. I remember getting this autograph as a kid I must have been 7 or 8 years old at the time.
    It's Granville Liggins, when he played in the CFL for the Toronto Argonauts in the late 70's.

I never did find the Darryl Sittler or Mike Palmateer, autographs that I was actually searching for. I got all 3 signings at a grand re-opening event my father took me to. I'll keep searching again tomorrow.....eeehh

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008

edited February 23, 2022 11:22AM

I came back from vacation to find a reply from Stephen Breyer. It is written on a chambers card so it is a little more crampt than the one received by @JMS1223 , but after several letters to him over the years that never earned a reply, I'm happy to have this one.

P.S. - the reference to remembering in his note was in response to a comment by me that I remembered his confirmation hearings and now he is retiring.

@JBK said:
    I came back from vacation to find a reply from Stephen Breyer. It is written on a chambers card so it is a little more crampt than the one received by @JMS1223 , but after several letters to him over the years that never earned a reply, I'm happy to have this one.

P.S. - the reference to remembering in his note was in response to a comment by me that I remembered his confirmation hearings and now he is retiring.

Looks like the signature starts the same way it did on my note so that’s more reassuring.

Yes, the S is there, and also the handwriting matches.

Here is another one of my recent replies. I sent Russian chess champion and human rights campaigner the first page of a two page article he wrote, and he added a nice signature at the end.

I have tried to collect signed speeches, articles, etc. from famous people that I feel are important or historical. I figure that it might one day turn into an interesting archive of historical events and eras.

@JBK said:

I have tried to collect signed speeches, articles, etc. from famous people that I feel are important or historical. I figure that it might one day turn into an interesting archive of historical events and eras.

That’s a GREAT idea! Imagine having a copy of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have A Dream” speech signed?!!

edited February 23, 2022 1:24PM

Yes, MLK on that speech would be incredible and probably priceless.

Some years ago I did get Geraldine Ferraro's acceptance speech for VP in 1984 signed. I also have a famous speech by Ralph Nader.

@JMS1223 said:

@ernie11 said:

''

I finished reading this today. Kelly is the twin brother of Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly and ergo Gabby Giffords' brother-in-law. He spent an entire year on the International Space Station in 2015-16. His book is quite good on explaining the challenges of living and working in a weightless environment. Also, the perils of travelling to and from the ISS - he described his return to Earth on a Soyuz capsule in high heat from hurtling thru the atmosphere's friction and being tumbled around as the parachute opened. He said it was like going over Niagara Falls in a burning barrel. And he seemed to love every minute of it - well, most of it.

edited March 6, 2022 12:40PM

When I find myself in a city or tourist area I look for those racks of brochures and cards that promote local attractions. And, of course, if I visit an attraction, I look for these types of materials on site.

I try to find items that I can leverage for autograph requests

On a recent trip to Florida, the place where we stayed had one of those racks of tourist information and I grabbed a bunch of brochures advertising the Kennedy Space Center, which I had actually visited a few days earlier.

When I got back home I started sending them out to astronauts and others involved in various space programs.

Here is one of my first replies - a brochure signed by Space Shuttle commander Bob Crippen.

@JBK said:

When I got back home I started sending them out to astronauts and others involved in various space programs.

Very interesting idea. That makes me wonder does Buzz Aldrin respond to ttm requests at all? I remember he did not back in 2010 and earlier but maybe his habits changed? Might be interesting to send him one to see if maybe he signs it.

No, I think Buzz is still off limits TTM, except maybe for big $. He does sell stuff on his website. It is pricey but in the long run probably worth it.

@JBK said:
    No, I think Buzz is still off limits TTM, except maybe for big $. He does sell stuff on his website. It is pricey but in the long run probably worth it.

So I guess that means no chance to send in your own item to be signed? I guess you can’t get one of those brochures signed by him then even if you paid the big bucks for it.

He might do "send in" stuff but it would still be big bucks. Not sure, as he is getting old - it shows I'm his signature on stuff on the website.

I got him many years ago in a few books from book signings.