Home Sports Talk
Options

Say "Hello" to the NL East first place Philadelphia Phillies

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Phillies fan: The Mets SUCK!

Mets fan: Oh yeah well the Phillies are...are...MEDIOCRE!

image >>

The Phillies are the best ball club ever! They will trample the competition this year and walk away with a WS ring!

• Options

<< <i>

image >>

The Phillies are the best ball club ever! They will trample the competition this year and walk away with a WS ring! >>

That post should right the ship again image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>while back...somebody was calling them mediocre???...who was that?

while back they were mediocre. Still are.

Steve >>

Steve - Thanks for the post - I knew this would bring out a nice win for the Phils today...we owe it all to you.

Thanks again!
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

The Phillies are the best ball club ever! They will trample the competition this year and walk away with a WS ring! >>

• Options

<< <i>shaddap

image >>

• Options
    Philadelphia 52 38 .578 - - 9-1 W9 25-15 12-4 9-7 6-12 23-23 29-15 30-27 22-11 7-5 13-11 485 418 51-39 7/20 vs CHC, W 10-1 7/21 vs CHC, 7:05P
    Atlanta 47 46 .505 6.5 65 7-3 W2 19-13 13-15 8-10 7-8 25-22 22-24 28-32 19-14 5-3 17-14 408 391 48-45 7/20 vs SF, W 11-3 7/21 vs SF, 7:00P
    Florida 46 47 .495 7.5 64 3-7 L3 19-13 8-14 9-12 10-8 25-24 21-23 25-33 21-14 6-4 14-11 420 443 44-49 7/19 vs PHI, L 0-5 7/20 @ SD, LIVE
    New York 44 48 .478 9.0 63 5-5 W1 20-18 14-12 5-8 5-10 25-20 19-28 34-37 10-11 4-5 15-12 390 434 42-50 7/20 @ WSH, W 6-2 7/21 @ WSH, 7:05P
    Washington 26 66 .283 27.0 45 1-9 L6 8-32 6-14 5-9 7-11 16-31 10-35 19-49 7-17 3-8 9-16 394 521 35-57 7/20 vs NYM, L 2-6 7/21 vs NYM, 7:05P

Phillies are playing like a tremendous machine.
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    MEDIOCRITY IS PRETTY GOOD RIGHT NOW...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    ho hum
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    As a Notre Dame hater, it puts a smile on my face to see Jeff Samardzija give up a walk-off home run. Maybe he should have stuck with football.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Walk-off home run and ten wins in a row. I'd say that's worth not just one, but two dancing smileys.

imageimage
  • Options
    Chan Ho Koufax getting it done too.
  • Options
    The Mets are done and it's an easy call - their season is officially over.

The Marlins had their chance, were hot at the beginning of the season and a little hot a few weeks ago, but they've cooled off and clearly aren't good enough.

All we gotta do is hold off the Braves and roll to an easy NL East title.

Very, VERY sweet position to be in for only right after the All Star break.

Just hope Charlie keeps 'em sharp for what needs to get done again in the Fall - I believe he will.
  • Options
    If we could get some other NL team to do ANYTHING against you it would be a much closer race.

obviously being 6.5 back is not ideal, but as long as we keep winning, we can keep it interesting.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Since the Phils lost I'll make sure to post so as not to be branded a bandwagon fan.

I'm heartbroken. image
  • Options
    here comes 8 - 0...

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Well, the Phils didn't get Holliday, but they are playing such great baseball right now, it won't matter - they are still the best team in baseball right now, just like last season.
  • Options
    We have plenty of head to head games left to make it up.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I'm pretty happy with the addition of Holliday, but I fear that if the Phillies add Halliday like most of the experts are predicting then it is probably a moot point.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i> - they are still the best team in baseball right now, just like last season. >>

No they're not.

I think my witch doctor needs a talkin to. The Phils are 2-1 since my curse.
  • Options
    I see Charlie Manuel is on the phone. Most of you guys think he is calling the bullpen but he is actually trying to get a hold of Brian Westbrook being that they are down by a touchdown.

On second thought, he would be better served calling Marion Barber LOL
  • Options
    Remove that voodoo picture at once or I will contact the authorities and file a civil complaint that you are intentionally trying to jinx the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Look what your dam voodoo did to the standings! image

New York 55 47 .539 - - 7-3 W2 20-17 8-10 18-14 9-6 30-19 25-28 35-36 20-11 8-4 9-13 496 458 55-47 7/24 v PHI, W 3-1 7/25 v STL, W 7-2
    Philadelphia 54 48 .529 1.0 60 5-5 L2 19-18 17-12 14-7 4-11 27-23 27-25 32-33 22-15 4-6 15-18 504 432 58-44 7/24 @ NYM, L 1-3 7/25 v ATL, L 2-8
    Florida 53 49 .520 2.0 59 5-5 L2 22-17 11-11 15-11 5-10 29-23 24-26 40-34 13-15 7-5 15-12 487 520 48-54 7/24 @ CHC, L 3-6 7/25 @ CHC, W 3-2
    Atlanta 48 53 .475 6.5 55 5-5 W1 19-22 9-16 12-8 8-7 31-20 17-33 34-33 14-20 2-7 6-22 449 420 54-47 7/23 @ FLA, W 9-4 7/25 @ PHI, W 8-2
    Washington 38 64 .373 17.0 44 3-7 L3 16-22 11-19 3-13 8-10 20-30 18-34 23-41 15-23 4-5 15-20 386 495 40-62 7/24 @ SF, L 0-1 7/25 @ LAD, L 2-3
  • Options
    oh my mistake...those standings were for July 24, 2008
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    they are still the best team in baseball right now, just like last season. >

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Another loss.

I am crushed.
  • Options
    even the best teams lose 40% of the time image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    The '27 Yankees once lost 4 in a row during their season - you can look it up - baseball is well known as a game of streaks, high/lows, team adrenaline swings, etc...the key is to accentuate the highs and keep the lows as short as possible, and the Phillies overall in case some Phillies bashers such as WinPitcher haven't noticed, have a nice lead in the NL East.

An important part of this is the manager, and in my opinion Charlie Manuel has done a magnificent job...much better than I thought he would when the Phillies made him manager. During that Phillies losing streak that WinPitcher brings up in almost every one of his posts about the Phillies as if that should be the season and the rest of the games shouldn't count, Charlie kept a cool head, and said all the right things to ensure the losing streak didn't turn into quicksand, and the Phils nicely rebounded from that losing streak, and I believe are on their way to another World Series title - two in a row sounds so very nice.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    The Phillies are going to win it all this year and might be the best ever!!!!!

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>The Phillies are going to win it all this year and might be the best ever!!!!!

Brian >>

Nice to see other team's fans finally realizing this. image

Course I fully realize my Phils are gonna have to get past the Dodgers and/or the Cards in the NL playoffs...should be some good games there - I'm already looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Yeah count your chickens before they hatch Stevek.

By the way is it true that your Phillies are in the market for a certain Blue Jay pitcher?

You mean your team has now stooped so low as to steal another teams player?

And would you consider this pitcher a mercenary?

I await your spin on this matter.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah count your chickens before they hatch Stevek.

By the way is it true that your Phillies are in the market for a certain Blue Jay pitcher?

You mean your team has now stooped so low as to steal another teams player?

And would you consider this pitcher a mercenary?

I await your spin on this matter.

Steve >>

Geez Steve...how many times do I have to explain it? I don't consider a player a mercenary, even if he is paid a lot of money...if he plays hard, focuses on the team and not himself, works to improve, and wants his team to win...the Phillies are loaded with players like that which is exactly why the Phillies keep on winning. Case closed.
  • Options
    You failed to address the 'stealing another teams player' part of the question.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>You failed to address the 'stealing another teams player' part of the question.

Steve >>

Address what? Are you kidding? The Mets and the other NY team are responsible for stealing more players from other teams, than possibly all the other teams combined...stop being silly because you know this.
  • Options
    yeah ...like the whole Mutz team...

- uncut

• Options
    It's nice to have such a long list of prospects to offer up for a deal.

07/25/09 1:38 PM ET
    Phils reject Jays' offer in deal for Halladay
    Report: Proposal would've sent Happ, Drabek, Brown to Toronto

By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com
    TORONTO -- It's no secret that the Blue Jays want a significant package of players in return if the club is going to part with ace pitcher Roy Halladay. Toronto's asking price is steep enough that general manager J.P. Ricciardi has reiterated over the past week that he doesn't believe a trade will come to fruition.

On Saturday, the Phillies -- considered the front-runners to acquire Halladay -- reportedly rejected a formal proposal sent their way by the Blue Jays. According to an ESPN report, Philadelphia balked at an offer that would have sent pitchers J.A. Happ and Kyle Drabek, along with outfield prospect Dominic Brown, to Toronto in exchange for Halladay.

Citing an executive of a team that has spoken with the Phillies, the report indicates that Philadelphia is opposed to giving up both Happ and Drabek.

MLB.com learned that Jays assistant general manager Tony LaCava scouted the latest outing of Phillies pitching prospect Carlos Carrasco, who could possibly be substituted for either Happ or Drabek in a deal.

The Phillies and Blue Jays continue to discuss names, including outfielder Michael Taylor, catcher Lou Marson and shortstop Jason Donald, and Toronto would prefer to have the matter resolved prior to Halladay's next scheduled start, on Wednesday in Seattle. Major League Baseball's non-waiver Trade Deadline is on Friday, but the Jays don't want the process to drag on that long.

On Friday, the Phillies and Yankees had scouts at Rogers Centre for Halladay's latest start, in which he struck out 10 over nine innings en route to a no-decision. New York may have been there to watch Toronto closer Scott Downs. Other teams with varying interest in Halladay include the Brewers, Dodgers, White Sox, Rangers, Red Sox, Angels and Rays.

Ricciardi declined to comment any more about Halladay's situation on Friday, preferring to address the matter after the pitcher is dealt or after the Trade Deadline passes. Following his start against Tampa Bay, Halladay spoke with a large group of reporters for 20 minutes and said he doesn't believe he will be traded.

"Right now, yeah, I think I will be here," said Halladay, who is 11-3 with a 2.62 ERA this season. "If there was an urgency to be somewhere else, and an urgency for the team to have me somewhere else, I think it'd be different. I just don't get that feeling."

Halladay, who is under contract through 2010, said he has talked to the Jays' front office about a list of teams to which he'd approve a trade. Halladay added that he did not inform Toronto that he has no interest in signing an extension in favor of testing free agency after his contract expires. Halladay told the Jays that he wants to see how things play out over the next year and a half before making a decision.

"I feel like it's just something that I don't want to try and look that far in the future right now," Halladay said. "I would rather assess the situation when my contract is up. ... It's not that I want to go somewhere else, or I want to play somewhere else, but I really feel like I've fulfilled a lot of obligations, and I think at some point, you have to be a little bit selfish in what you want."

"It's purely based on having a chance to win. It really is. I love it here, I want to stay, and I really do hope it's here. But I think for me, I've taken care of a lot of things, and I feel like I would hate to look back and regret that I had this three- or four-year window and I didn't take a chance to give myself the best opportunity, and that's really all I'm trying to do."

Halladay said he has also discussed the situation with Blue Jays interim president and CEO Paul Beeston, and the pitcher believes the organization is heading in the right direction. Halladay added that he doesn't feel Toronto needs "major changes" to contend, but that doesn't mean he isn't opposed to exploring all of his options.

"I definitely feel like there's a plan in place," Halladay said. "I feel like it's an organization that's trying to move forward. That it's trying to get better. From that aspect of it, I think there's a lot to look forward to here. For me, it's more of a wait-and-see [approach]. I know Paul's done a great job and I have a lot of confidence in J.P.

"There's a lot to look forward to here. I just think I owe it to myself at this point to kind of wait and see and assess the situation when I have to. I do feel like there's a lot of positives here."
  • Options

<< <i>It's nice to have such a long list of prospects to offer up for a deal.

07/25/09 1:38 PM ET
    Phils reject Jays' offer in deal for Halladay
    Report: Proposal would've sent Happ, Drabek, Brown to Toronto

By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com
    TORONTO -- It's no secret that the Blue Jays want a significant package of players in return if the club is going to part with ace pitcher Roy Halladay. Toronto's asking price is steep enough that general manager J.P. Ricciardi has reiterated over the past week that he doesn't believe a trade will come to fruition.

On Saturday, the Phillies -- considered the front-runners to acquire Halladay -- reportedly rejected a formal proposal sent their way by the Blue Jays. According to an ESPN report, Philadelphia balked at an offer that would have sent pitchers J.A. Happ and Kyle Drabek, along with outfield prospect Dominic Brown, to Toronto in exchange for Halladay.

Citing an executive of a team that has spoken with the Phillies, the report indicates that Philadelphia is opposed to giving up both Happ and Drabek.

MLB.com learned that Jays assistant general manager Tony LaCava scouted the latest outing of Phillies pitching prospect Carlos Carrasco, who could possibly be substituted for either Happ or Drabek in a deal.

The Phillies and Blue Jays continue to discuss names, including outfielder Michael Taylor, catcher Lou Marson and shortstop Jason Donald, and Toronto would prefer to have the matter resolved prior to Halladay's next scheduled start, on Wednesday in Seattle. Major League Baseball's non-waiver Trade Deadline is on Friday, but the Jays don't want the process to drag on that long.

On Friday, the Phillies and Yankees had scouts at Rogers Centre for Halladay's latest start, in which he struck out 10 over nine innings en route to a no-decision. New York may have been there to watch Toronto closer Scott Downs. Other teams with varying interest in Halladay include the Brewers, Dodgers, White Sox, Rangers, Red Sox, Angels and Rays.

Ricciardi declined to comment any more about Halladay's situation on Friday, preferring to address the matter after the pitcher is dealt or after the Trade Deadline passes. Following his start against Tampa Bay, Halladay spoke with a large group of reporters for 20 minutes and said he doesn't believe he will be traded.

"Right now, yeah, I think I will be here," said Halladay, who is 11-3 with a 2.62 ERA this season. "If there was an urgency to be somewhere else, and an urgency for the team to have me somewhere else, I think it'd be different. I just don't get that feeling."

Halladay, who is under contract through 2010, said he has talked to the Jays' front office about a list of teams to which he'd approve a trade. Halladay added that he did not inform Toronto that he has no interest in signing an extension in favor of testing free agency after his contract expires. Halladay told the Jays that he wants to see how things play out over the next year and a half before making a decision.

"I feel like it's just something that I don't want to try and look that far in the future right now," Halladay said. "I would rather assess the situation when my contract is up. ... It's not that I want to go somewhere else, or I want to play somewhere else, but I really feel like I've fulfilled a lot of obligations, and I think at some point, you have to be a little bit selfish in what you want."

"It's purely based on having a chance to win. It really is. I love it here, I want to stay, and I really do hope it's here. But I think for me, I've taken care of a lot of things, and I feel like I would hate to look back and regret that I had this three- or four-year window and I didn't take a chance to give myself the best opportunity, and that's really all I'm trying to do."

Halladay said he has also discussed the situation with Blue Jays interim president and CEO Paul Beeston, and the pitcher believes the organization is heading in the right direction. Halladay added that he doesn't feel Toronto needs "major changes" to contend, but that doesn't mean he isn't opposed to exploring all of his options.

"I definitely feel like there's a plan in place," Halladay said. "I feel like it's an organization that's trying to move forward. That it's trying to get better. From that aspect of it, I think there's a lot to look forward to here. For me, it's more of a wait-and-see [approach]. I know Paul's done a great job and I have a lot of confidence in J.P.

"There's a lot to look forward to here. I just think I owe it to myself at this point to kind of wait and see and assess the situation when I have to. I do feel like there's a lot of positives here." >>

Phillies management is currently one of the best in baseball, and they understand how to win, and how to build a team to win, unlike the Pets with their mercenary approach. Phillies should not trade away top prospects even though Halladay is of course a nice player to have. No more Ryne Sandbergs!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least the Eagles still suck...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Time to bring out the big guns.

May all the Phillies bats get suddenly sick!!

• Options
    It's very bad to steal Jobu's rum! I saw many Phillie players doing just that!
  • Options

<< <i>Time to bring out the big guns.

image >>

didn't work...nah, nah, nah nah, nah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Time to bring out the big guns.

image >>

didn't work...nah, nah, nah nah, nah >>

It's meant for the upcoming games image
  • Options
    Are the Cards the best team in the NL Central?

I coudn't tell.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Are the Cards the best team in the NL Central?

I coudn't tell. >>

Sadly, yes... image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Manny and Albert hitting them down the line, while Howard is hitting them out to dead center. What a beast.
  • Options

<< <i>Manny and Albert hitting them down the line, while Howard is hitting them out to dead center. What a beast. >>

Not sure what game you were watching. Howard's homer wasn't dead center. It was left/center field.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Career win number 256 for Moyer. Nice.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>Manny and Albert hitting them down the line, while Howard is hitting them out to dead center. What a beast. >>

Yep - it's shaping up to be a Phillies - Yankees World Series which is the Series that most everyone wants to see...besides, I'd like to see the Phillies get payback for the 1950 World Series...I wasn't around back then but Grote15 was middle age at that time so maybe he remembers it.