Home Sports Talk
Options

Say "Hello" to the NL East first place Philadelphia Phillies

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Paul Janish's new ERA is now 49.50 >>

Yeah, but his value is in eating innings (one at a time) for his team's bullpen in lost causes. It's nice to have position players available like that (but better when they can get guys out; see Nick Swisher).

I remember when Oakland's Mike Oquist (who was a regular starter) gave up something like 15 runs in 5 innings about a decade ago. I think Art Howe was coaching Oakland at the time, and he burned through his bullpen in a 15 or 16 inning game the night before. So Oquist kept getting lit up like the Vegas Strip at midnight, and well after a manager would normally come after him, Howe visits the mound and probably says something like "Okie, I know you don't have it today and I hate to do it to you, but you've gotta stay out there until you've thrown your 120 pitches. Our bullpen's toast."
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I just saw the score, Wow! I'll have to see the hilights on SC. Someone or two or three or four raised their batting average tonight.
  • Options
    The Phillies just scored more runs than the Yucs will in their first 4 games this upcoming season LOL
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Phillies just scored more runs than the Yucs will in their first 4 games this upcoming season LOL >>

Now that's funny.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Derrick Ward is going to hit the Cowboys like a shed coming down on their ...ahhh nevermind
  • Options

<< <i>Derrick Ward is going to hit the Cowboys like a shed coming down on their ...ahhh nevermind >>

Is Derrick Ward the Bucs new waterboy or something image?
  • Options
    Thats right, you guys played him, but you only saw the back of his jersey the whole game.

More of the same a comin'
  • Options

<< <i>Thats right, you guys played him, but you only saw the back of his jersey the whole game.

More of the same a comin' >>

So what your saying is the Yucs also got the G-men's entire o-line as well??

Ain't gonna happen. He will be lucky to get 50 yards the whole game.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thats right, you guys played him, but you only saw the back of his jersey the whole game.

Ain't gonna happen. He will be lucky to get 50 yards the whole game. >>

It wasn't the Gmen's O line running over your linebackers..be afraid, be very very afraid!

• Options

What is:

number of teams in the majors with a better record than the Phils!

BAM
  • Options
    Scoring 22 runs really quiets the Phillies naysayers. LOL
  • Options
    1927 who?
  • Options
    Gehrig just called, he wants to bat 8th.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ain't gonna happen. He will be lucky to get 50 yards the whole game. >>

It wasn't the Gmen's O line running over your linebackers..be afraid, be very very afraid! >>

Derrick Ward is a second string RB at best. He is a perfect fit for the Yucs who already have a bunch of second string RB's pretending to be starters.

Enjoy the upcoming season!
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Scoring 22 runs really quiets the Phillies naysayers. LOL >>

• Options
    Phillies win one in the bottom of the ninth for a change. image
  • Options
    When do the playoffs start?
  • Options

<< <i>When do the playoffs start? >>

SteveK, make sure you ask your parents ahead of time if you can stay up and watch them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>When do the playoffs start? >>

SteveK, make sure you ask your parents ahead of time if you can stay up and watch them. >>

funny boy Hoopster
  • Options
    Long way to go but it looks like the Marlins could be the "problem" - they have surprised in the past...let's hope not this season.

Philadelphia 45 38 .542 - - 6-4 W2 22-15 8-4 9-7 6-12 19-23 26-15 26-27 19-11 6-5 10-11 444 401 45-38 7/9 vs CIN, W 9-6 7/10 vs PIT, 7:05P
    Florida 45 42 .517 2.0 76 7-3 W2 19-10 8-14 8-10 10-8 25-21 20-21 25-31 20-11 6-3 14-10 406 414 43-44 7/9 @ ARI, W 14-7 7/10 @ ARI, 9:40P
    Atlanta 41 44 .482 5.0 74 6-4 L1 16-12 13-15 5-9 7-8 21-21 20-23 24-31 17-13 5-3 16-13 358 367 42-43 7/9 @ COL, L 6-7 7/10 @ COL, 9:10P
    New York 40 44 .476 5.5 74 3-7 L1 18-15 12-11 5-8 5-10 23-19 17-25 30-33 10-11 4-5 15-12 362 398 38-46 7/9 vs LAD, L 2-11 7/10 vs CIN, 7:10P
    Washington 25 59 .298 20.5 59 2-8 L4 8-31 5-8 5-9 7-11 16-26 9-33 19-42 6-17 3-8 9-14 363 476 32-52 7/9 @ HOU, L 4-9 7/10 @ HOU, 8:05P

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You mean the Marlins and their measly 36 million payroll is giving the Sillies and their 116 million payroll a problem?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>You mean the Marlins and their measly 36 million payroll is giving the Sillies and their 116 million payroll a problem?

Steve >>

What's the Mets payroll giving their fans.

Sincerely,
    Indigestion
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You mean the Marlins and their measly 36 million payroll is giving the Sillies and their 116 million payroll a problem?

Steve >>

What's the Mets payroll giving their fans.

Sincerely,
    Indigestion >>

WinPitcher is in denial. He cannot believe how his Mets can spend all that money and never even get into the playoffs.

I forget who first stated this but it's words of wisdom to remember... "mercenaries don't win championships"
  • Options
    Be nice if you answered the question, the Sillies are paying much more then the Marlins and both have the
    same amount of wins. You can't have it both ways Steve. According to your theory they should have 20 wins this year.

The Phillies should be in the top 6 or 7 yet they are no better then 10th to 13th best depending on losing streak.

Be consistent.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Can we get back to talking about the teams instead of parsing each others statements and trying to pee up a rope?

I'll start.

The Mets suck. image
  • Options
    never even get into the playoffs.

lol I suggest you go and look that up.

They were in the playoffs as recently as 3 years ago.

In the WS as recently as 10

Have won as many championships since they have been in MLB as the Phillies.

Who by the way have been in MLB for 2x the amount of time if not more.

yeah you guys are on top now, lets see how long that lasts.

Now if you please answer the question.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Can we get back to talking about the teams instead of parsing each others statements and trying to pee up a rope?

I'll start.

The Mets suck. image >>

They do not, oh excuse me...yes they do. LOL
  • Options

What is:

number of teams in the majors with a better record than the Phils!

BAM

You are dreaming they DID NOT have the 5th best record in the majors on July 7th

Note to Stalin on July 7th your Sillies had the 10th best record in the majors, did you really think you could just
    throw that BS up and everyone would just believe you?

And they were 1 pct point from being the 12th best.

Double BAM

Steve

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>never even get into the playoffs.

lol I suggest you go and look that up.

They were in the playoffs as recently as 3 years ago.

In the WS as recently as 10

Have won as many championships since they have been in MLB as the Phillies.

Who by the way have been in MLB for 2x the amount of time if not more.

yeah you guys are on top now, lets see how long that lasts.

Now if you please answer the question.

Steve >>

Ya mean the question...Why don't mercenaries win championships?
  • Options
    I see Stevek won't answer the question. OK no problem, I figured that anyway.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    No the question was and remains why do the Phillies have the same amount of wins as the Marlins yet they
    pay almost 90% more in payroll? That is a substantial difference, they have more wins then the Mets simply because
    the Mets have 1/3 of the team out on disability, what is your teams reason?

Simple question, figure a guy like you that claims to know everything regarding baseball management would have a
    quick and witty answer. No problem, you can continue to ignore it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The answer is "Phillies are the 2008 world champions and are leading the NL East in 2009."

Question answered. Case closed.
  • Options
    Typical

It's ok when you can throw payroll up in others faces but when it can be used against you, you crawl
    under the bed.

No problem, I actually expected it.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>No the question was and remains why do the Phillies have the same amount of wins as the Marlins yet they
    pay almost 90% more in payroll? That is a substantial difference, they have more wins then the Mets simply because
    the Mets have 1/3 of the team out on disability, what is your teams reason?

Simple question, figure a guy like you that claims to know everything regarding baseball management would have a
    quick and witty answer. No problem, you can continue to ignore it.

Steve >>

All I care about is results...as long as the Phillies win championships, then the money spent was worth it. Steve...you're not getting it...it's about finding value in players, not just frivolously spending money at any big name player that financially ya can afford to sign - you're not getting it and obviously the Mets management isn't getting it. And please don't retort about injuries, because that's all part of the equation of signing players who perhaps didn't train properly and didn't get in shape because they were unmotivated mercenaries and got injured because of that.

And perhaps the Marlins are actually better than the Phillies at recruiting and signing MLB talent considering their limited payroll capabilities - I'll give them credit where credit is due.
  • Options
    Championships? They have won 1 championship. You can't have it both ways.

On one side of your mouth you whine about how much certain teams pay players (yet the sillies are right up there)

On the other you boast how they win championship(s) (where you get the plural is beyond me) and they pay less then certain teams.

Now it's the Mets didn't train properly, boy you really are reaching now.

If we listened to only you and Stalin one would think the Sillies have the best record in baseball and win every year.

IMO your team won last year simply because the law of averages was on their side, geez that team sucked for so long they had to win something

sooner or later.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Championships? They have won 1 championship. You can't have it both ways.

On one side of your mouth you whine about how much certain teams pay players (yet the sillies are right up there)

On the other you boast how they win championship(s) (where you get the plural is beyond me) and they pay less then certain teams.

Now it's the Mets didn't train properly, boy you really are reaching now.

If we listened to only you and Stalin one would think the Sillies have the best record in baseball and win every year.

IMO your team won last year simply because the law of averages was on their side, geez that team sucked for so long they had to win something

sooner or later.

Steve >>

Of course "spending money" helps...the worst team of all for mercenaries is the Yankees and that's not even debatable, yet what have they won lately? But most years they are in contention, and they are this season...whether they win anything remains to be seen, but taking your "law of averages" comment into account, I guess frivolously spending money and signing the "best players" (I'll come back to this), has to perhaps win something once in awhile.

You should understand what the great hockey coach Herb Brooks stated..."I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones" - Herb Brooks is correct about the way to go about putting together a championship team.
  • Options
    Whatever Steve, I just find it funny how you always remark about payroll yet the Marlins with the Lowest
    payroll are neck and neck with the sillies, but then again the sillies are not playing championship calibre ball
    and perhaps that is the reason that the two are basically tied.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Whatever Steve, I just find it funny how you always remark about payroll yet the Marlins with the Lowest
    payroll are neck and neck with the sillies, but then again the sillies are not playing championship calibre ball
    and perhaps that is the reason that the two are basically tied.

Steve >>

Even a cheap claimer could run with Secretariat in the beginning of a race...we'll see how close the Marlins are after 162 games when the race is over.
  • Options
    Joey Blanton just ate another team whole. Halladay who?

Kevin
  • Options
    This is looking purdier and purdier.

Philadelphia 46 38 .548 - - 7-3 W3 22-15 9-4 9-7 6-12 20-23 26-15 26-27 20-11 6-5 11-11 447 403 46-38 7/10 vs PIT, W 3-2 7/11 vs PIT, 7:05P
    Florida 45 43 .511 3.0 74 6-4 L1 19-10 8-14 8-11 10-8 25-21 20-22 25-32 20-11 6-3 14-10 406 422 42-46 7/10 @ ARI, L 0-8 7/11 @ ARI, 8:10P
    Atlanta 42 44 .488 5.0 73 6-4 W1 16-12 13-15 6-9 7-8 21-21 21-23 25-31 17-13 5-3 16-13 362 368 42-44 7/10 @ COL, W 4-1 7/11 @ COL, 8:10P
    New York 40 45 .471 6.5 72 3-7 L2 18-15 12-12 5-8 5-10 23-20 17-25 30-34 10-11 4-5 15-12 362 401 39-46 7/10 vs CIN, L 0-3 7/11 vs CIN, 7:10P
    Washington 25 60 .294 21.5 57 2-8 L5 8-31 5-9 5-9 7-11 16-26 9-34 19-43 6-17 3-8 9-15 368 482 32-53 7/10 @ HOU, L 5-6 7/11 @ HOU, 7:05P
  • Options
    5 Phillies including 2 starters on the All Star team - I'll take it! image

National League
    Starters
    Pos Player B/T

C Yadier Molina, STL R/R

1B Albert Pujols, STL R/R

2B Chase Utley, PHI L/R

SS Hanley Ramirez, FLA R/R

3B David Wright, NYM R/R

OF Carlos Beltran, NYM² S/R

OF Ryan Braun, MIL R/R

OF Raul Ibanez, PHI L/R

Pitchers
    Pos Player B/T

P Heath Bell, SD R/R

P Chad Billingsley, LAD R/R

P Jonathan Broxton, LAD R/R

P Matt Cain, SF R/R

P Francisco Cordero, CIN R/R

P Ryan Franklin, STL R/R

P Dan Haren, ARI R/R

P Josh Johnson, FLA L/R

P Ted Lilly, CHC L/L

P Tim Lincecum, SF L/R

P Jason Marquis, COL L/R

P Francisco Rodriguez, NYM R/R

P Johan Santana, NYM L/L

Reserves
    Pos Player B/T

C Brian McCann, ATL L/R

1B Prince Fielder, MIL L/R

1B Adrian Gonzalez, SD L/L

1B Ryan Howard, PHI L/L

2B Orlando Hudson, LAD S/R

2B Freddy Sanchez, PIT R/R

SS Miguel Tejada, HOU R/R

3B Ryan Zimmerman, WSH R/R

OF Brad Hawpe, COL L/L

OF Hunter Pence, HOU R/R

OF Justin Upton, ARI R/R

OF Shane Victorino, PHI¹ S/R

OF Jayson Werth, PHI³ R/R
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of interesting how many players bat left-handed and throw right-handed...I suppose these players are naturally right-handed but learn to hit lefty to maximize their value as hitters since the majority of pitchers are righthanders..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Kind of interesting how many players bat left-handed and throw right-handed...I suppose these players are naturally right-handed but learn to hit lefty to maximize their value as hitters since the majority of pitchers are righthanders.. >>

I wouldn't be surprised if they emphasize or teach that considerably in Latin American countries, and perhaps in the US as well.
  • Options
    I taught my son that at a very early age.

What is even more unique is the lefty thrower and righty batter.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Geez I don't see Cole Hamels on that list. Must be he got his money and is now is a mercenari.

Of course I'm not in the clubhouse to see or not see him doing his workouts.

I'm just assuming that since he is not on that list he must be content with his money

and he ain't even 25 yet.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Geez I don't see Cole Hamels on that list. Must be he got his money and is now is a mercenari.

Of course I'm not in the clubhouse to see or not see him doing his workouts.

I'm just assuming that since he is not on that list he must be content with his money

and he ain't even 25 yet.

Steve >>

I mentioned this before...especially with pitchers...those involved in the post season especially the World Series, throw more pitches and the injury factor multiplies because they are already tired after a long regular season. Being that the Phillies won the World Series and Hamels pitched his heart out...he has a legitimate excuse for getting off to a slow start this season and getting injured....simply not enough time during the off season for an overextended arm to heal up properly and get back to normal...not always the case but ya can observe this happening often enough.
  • Options
    Ohhh ok......................<eyeroll>

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Ohhh ok......................<eyeroll>

Steve >>

Steve - everything I stated is factored into odds and sports betting which is how I observed and learned all this. When you've got money on the line, all these factors are understood and taken into account. Problem is, the bookies know all this stuff as well, and adjust the odds accordingly - ya still can't beat them...but all these factors I mentioned are correct.

To a fan who doesn't bet on the games, and that's a good thing, and is just a good fan, they may not make observances such as these because there's really no need to.
  • Options
    lol

Steve
    Good for you.