Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL 2009 Allen & Ginter Thread...LET'S SEE SOME RIPS.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Ill save my black borders for you! Im doing the master mini set, rip cards, rip minis, bazookas and autos. Might do a GU set also.

Kevin >>

you have a tough road ahead! i will set my non-Cardinal bazookas aside for you to trade for your black borders. i have yet to decide on the GU set but i doubt i will trade my singles just in case i change my mind. i am still so far from last year's GU set that it's annoying (but only two cards to go for 07's GU set, Shorin and Bruce Lee).
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>BAM!!! and just like that I'm in the game. image

I would like to do a black border mini set this year so all of my regular and A&G back minis will be available for trade as well as any full sized sets I make from the case. >>

Glad to hear it, I am going for a regular mini set this year, unfortunately I have not yet bought a case due to the complication with the one seller who refused to sell me the case that I won for $750. I am still waiting for a good price to show up. >>

I'll be shooting for 70% of the base set so that it will be just like every other set I have.
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I wont be doing the entire bazooka set, but just trying to pick up as many as I can. I have a great collection of autos from all three years and rip cards
    from 2008, I would like to believe that I have a nice red ink Ryan Howard in one of those rip cards. I will also be gunning for anything Beethoven this
    year!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Woot just got tracking number from Blowout!!! >>

arg! guess I should have ordered from blowout instead of bigT! Now I'll know better for next year image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Woot just got tracking number from Blowout!!! >>

arg! guess I should have ordered from blowout >>

That's just what I was thinking, looks like Cory and Kevin may be our first rippers of the season!
  • Options
    I have to wait until Wednesday, there should be card shops with this stuff right now, my guy is getting them from someone else. Anyone been to the card
    shop today?

Kevin
  • Options
    The seller I bought from said the official release date is Wed., and that he would be in violation of the Topps agreement if he shipped prior to that. Since my case is coming from WI, looks like I won't be ripping until next week sometime.
  • Options
    Having never bought AG cards before I am not sure which subsets I want to go after. Does anyone know the print runs or stated odds for the different variations? I could only afford 4 boxes so I wont have a lot to start with.
  • Options
    Hey! An AragorntheBold siting.
  • Options
    It looks like that DICE-K plate is listed again on the bay

DICE-K cyan
  • Options
    i paid for my case a couple of hours ago... why is it not in my hands yet? image
    White Whales:
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see Big T sportscards is down to $883.15 >>

I paid $989 from them on eBay, the Bing got me down to $910 but still........... Next year I won't order as early. No tracking yet either.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be shooting for 70% of the base set so that it will be just like every other set I have. >>

LOL I know the feeling.

My goal is to do the Base, SP, regular mini, & all the small mini subsets. My black borders & AG backs will be available. I will be looking for Red Sox NNO, rips, etc. I still need like 2-3 baseball icons & 1 world icon from 2008. Still have a ton of minis, GU, autos, etc. left from 2008.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    If it did in fact go live today we should start seeing quite a few listings this evening.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    can't afford mine until Friday image

gonna be a fun Friday evening/night though image
  • Options
    OK, a few things.

1) Who is going to track the 1/1 woods? We need player # and final sale price, also note if they were pulled by board members.

2) What are we going to do about the ginter code...everyone for themselves, or do we band together to try to crack it. Remember the grand prize this
    year is a complete set of autos. We could hold a drawing for them within the goup or something like that.

Also if anyone is looking for something, please post it here now, I missed out on a great card last year because the guy who pulled it didn't know I was
    looking for it. I know a lot of us dump the high end stuff early to maximize profit. I would rather work out a trade with someone for a rare card that they
    needed rather than ebaying it, or course sometimes its hard to say no to the money that some of these cards are going to get.

Can't wait!

Kevin
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow, mid-afternoon I should have a 2 box rip going on...my local guy says they're scheduled to be there tomorrow morning. Let us cross fingers this is true. Hopefully the half case will be here later in the week.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Well I won't be buying any locally, neither shop has it in yet, but one wants $100/box and the other $115/box....not going to happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Well I won't be buying any locally, neither shop has it in yet, but one wants $100/box and the other $115/box....not going to happen. >>

LOL, yep he will probably get that too!

I can't believe no one has this yet.

Kevin
  • Options
    Called our one local shop today. He said they will have some tomorrow but I could reserve them today for $125 per box. No thanks.
  • Options
    I can get them for around $80 locally...a few dollars more than ordering online, but I always buy a few boxes from him just to help keep things going.
  • Options

<< <i>Called our one local shop today. He said they will have some tomorrow but I could reserve them today for $125 per box. No thanks. >>

wow that might be a record, heck you can find 2006 for 150 a box
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    What is the difference between a hobby box for $80 +or- and a retail box $60 +or-? They both have 24 packs and the sellers of the retail boxes claim that there will be at least 1 auto or 1 relic card per box?

Is the additional $20 bucks worth getting a hobby box?

Thanks!

Rick

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>What is the difference between a hobby box for $80 +or- and a retail box $60 +or-? They both have 24 packs and the sellers of the retail boxes claim that there will be at least 1 auto or 1 relic card per box?

Is the additional $20 bucks worth getting a hobby box?

Thanks!

Rick >>

Hobby boxes have 3 hits per box as well as possible rip cards, cloth cards, and printing plates that retail doesn't have.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Hobby = 3 hits per box, retail = 1 hit per box other than that you have a chance at wood minis, silk cards, rip cards, printing plates, box toppers in hobby but not retail.
  • Options
    You gotta go with hobby here. Case prices are very low right now. Retail just doesn't have the bit money hits.

Kevin
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Thanks!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>OK, a few things.

1) Who is going to track the 1/1 woods? We need player # and final sale price, also note if they were pulled by board members.

2) What are we going to do about the ginter code...everyone for themselves, or do we band together to try to crack it. Remember the grand prize this
    year is a complete set of autos. We could hold a drawing for them within the goup or something like that.

Also if anyone is looking for something, please post it here now, I missed out on a great card last year because the guy who pulled it didn't know I was
    looking for it. I know a lot of us dump the high end stuff early to maximize profit. I would rather work out a trade with someone for a rare card that they
    needed rather than ebaying it, or course sometimes its hard to say no to the money that some of these cards are going to get.

Can't wait!

Kevin >>

I think it would be cool to all go after the Ginter code together and like Kevin said have a drawing or draft for auto cards in the set. Not sure if we should use this forum or do something different.

So far the card I will be looking for the most will the the Human Highlight Reel Auto.

Nice to see this thread at the top!
  • Options

<< <i><< Called our one local shop today. He said they will have some tomorrow but I could reserve them today for $125 per box. No thanks. >>

wow that might be a record, heck you can find 2006 for 150 a box >>

The manager of our one card shop looks almost identical to the card/comic book guy from the Simpsons. I have purchased one card from his shop.
  • Options
    mosaicmosaic Posts: 700
    Good luck, BunchOBull -- I'm hoping you pull a Frank Thomas silk! Well, if he's in this year's set image
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys.

paul, good luck on the black border set. its tougher than you think, and you'll need this board to help you out. i did it in 2007 thanks to these guys here. and i still have it, but its up for sale on ebay.

i will be doing the a&G back set only, along with all the mini card subsets, including the game-used (but only baseball players). i rip them out of their holders and they fit right in the 15 pocket pages alongside my mini set, so they look great.

I have 1 hobby, 1 retail case coming, so if i have enough extra regular minis, i'll build that set too. So my blacks borders, autos, silks, plates, bazookas, etc, will all be available for trade/sale immediately. should have them thursday.

Edited to add that all my full-size cards / inserts / cabinets, etc, will also be available for trade.

peace,jim
  • Options
    Hey Jim, glad to see you on board!

Im glad that I thought ahead and bought my mini pages, I do like the way the relics look in them, Im not sure if I have enough sheets to do that. Anyone still
    have a bunch of 08 relics left?

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Jim, glad to see you on board!

Im glad that I thought ahead and bought my mini pages, I do like the way the relics look in them, Im not sure if I have enough sheets to do that. Anyone still
    have a bunch of 08 relics left?

Kevin >>

i have a stack of extra 08 relics left. check my list in my sig.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im glad that I thought ahead and bought my mini pages, I do like the way the relics look in them, Im not sure if I have enough sheets to do that. Anyone still
    have a bunch of 08 relics left? >>

I have the following relics/minis/SPs from the past 2 years:
    Relics:
    AGR-CK Casey Kotchman - Angels
    AGR-MG Marcus Giles - Padres
    Minis: 6, 123, and 180
    Black Bordered Minis: 191

Rip Cards: RC63 Gary Matthews, JR. (#ed 23/99) - Angels
    Relics: AGR-JF Jeff Francoeur - Braves
    SPs: 304, 309, 315, 323, 334, 335, 336, 337, 340, 342, 343, and 350
    World's Greatest Victories: RC4
    Minis: 21, 52, 87, 135, 237, 246, 259(2), 265, and 311
    A&G Minis: 321
    Black Bordered Minis: 21, 40, 48, 79, 160, 264, 332, and 336
    Mini World Leaders: WL19
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Boo, I'm headed out East on Friday and can't get to my local on Thursday before the trip. I have 3 boxes reserved at the LCS for under $80 (he said either Wednesday or Thursday), but I'm afraid on my journeys, I'll have to visit the shops out there and pay way too much in order to check in with a status report. Hopefully, the shop here will get them in on Wednesday.

Good luck all and I have dibs on any Matt Cain parallels that anybody pulls.

Oh, and Hi Nick and Jason and Geordie (I have some crappy Dodger stuff for you) and Mike and Kevin and Jim and Doran and Cory and Chris and Frank (you'll be here) and Tom (you'll also be back)

Pumpsie
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    I have these available if anyone is still looking. Once I get my boxes and get sorted out, they will be available for 09 I need.

2008 Extras

Lots of Mini’s- reg, a&g back, and black border. Ask and I can look.

NO #- Dean Karnazes, Ben Franklin, Mickey Mantle, Rickie Weeks, Josh Willingham, Luis Castilla

Rip Card Mini- Hunter Pence

Bazooka Back- Ervin Santana

Sharks- Bull Shark x2, Tiger Shark

Aviation- Ornithopter X2, Piloted Glider, Aerial Steam Carriage X2

Worlds Greatest Victories- 7, 8, 14, 15, 17

Baseball Icons- Tris Speaker

World Leaders- 4x3, 7, 13, 18, 20, 24, 29, 36x2, 37, 40, 44, 47, 50

Ancient Icons- 2, 4, 9,10,15

Team Orange- Archibald Clinker

Manny Ramirez silk 6/10

Relics- Jeanette Lee, Lisa Leslie

Printing Plate- Ken Griffey Jr.

2007 Extras

Snakes- Copperhead, King Cobra

Emperors- Septimus Severus, Titus, Claudius

Flags- USA, Dominican Republic, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Chile, Algeria, Argentina, Portugal, United Kingdom, Philippines, Honduras,

No #- Andruw Jones, Mike Rabelo, Eleanor Roosevelt

Bazooka Back- Orlando Hudson, Mark Grudzielanek
  • Options
    I went ahead and ordered 3 boxes from blowout, if they get shipped today I should have something to rip before next week.
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Anyone get any tracking from BigT??? Hope to be ripping this week.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Ross better be camping out in front of his local hobby shop waiting for those boxes of A&G. I expect scans within 15 minutes of purchase!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    found this link over on Blowout - do yourself a favor and forward to about 8:10

youtube A&G box break
  • Options

<< <i>Ross better be camping out in front of his local hobby shop waiting for those boxes of A&G. I expect scans within 15 minutes of purchase! >>

He doesn't open until noon. Told me to call at 12:05. I will.

edited to add:

I hope I'm not getting worked up for nothing. He thought they'd be in the shop on a certain day last year too and they weren't.
  • Options
    hey tm4537, i could use that king cobra. let's try to work out a trade for 09's once this all gets started.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    I can't wait for someone to start ripping so I can once again live vicariously through someone else. LOL Best of luck, everyone!

PS Ross, don't forget me when you pull some awesome Cardinals. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    What kind of store opens at noon? Ross do you know where this guy lives? You would hate to show up at 5 minutes past noon and see a UPS slip on the
    door!

Kevin
  • Options
    lol no, he's been in business for 15+ years, the UPS man shows up between noon and 1 everyday. He'll know if it will be in based upon the tracking number.
  • Options

<< <i>What kind of store opens at noon? Ross do you know where this guy lives? You would hate to show up at 5 minutes past noon and see a UPS slip on the
    door!

Kevin >>

I agree, Ross. I still think you should go down to the store now and sign for the package. I'm sure the store owner would be thrilled with such a valued customer that he would give you a box for your troubles. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    hey chris. you could go down to vintage stock and wait to see if they get boxes today. i'm sure they'll only charge a reasonable $8/pack. i used to like that place...
    White Whales:
  • Options

<< <i>hey chris. you could go down to vintage stock and wait to see if they get boxes today. i'm sure they'll only charge a reasonable $8/pack. i used to like that place... >>

I'm actually headed there at lunch. LOL They probably won't get any in until next week or the week after, just like last year. And it won't be $8 a pack. $10 maybe but not $8. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    Well, it looks like A&G is popping up at shops across the country. Good sign that I may actually be ripping shortly.