Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL 2009 Allen & Ginter Thread...LET'S SEE SOME RIPS.

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I have to move a couple of cards and I will have secured a case. I'll definitely have this done before it hits the market.

If we do try to crack the code as a group effort, we should create a secure login on a free private message board service that way we aren't giving away our work.

edited to add:

If we want to do this, I have no problem in putting it together.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>I have to move a couple of cards and I will have secured a case. I'll definitely have this done before it hits the market.

If we do try to crack the code as a group effort, we should create a secure login on a free private message board service that way we aren't giving away our work.

edited to add:

If we want to do this, I have no problem in putting it together. >>

Sounds like a good idea Ross. If we were to win we could select a random winner (drawing) of have a draft lottery for individual cards. I just got locked in for one hobby case for 927.99 from blowout. Anyone know a good place to buy blaster cases?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Sounds good Ross, I'm in, hopefully there will be more scans on ebay early than there were last year. Can't wait!

Kevin
  • Options
    loved the set since 2006. cant wait for another run at some minis and autos!
  • Options
    Oh man, its great to see some of my old trading buddies here! Most of the guys do heritage too, but some are only A&G. Can't wait to get trading!

Kevin
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    im selling off alot of stuff. gonna try and rip 3 cases of this..this year. cant wait about a month away
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Still looking for 2006 Allen Ginter mini NO NUMBER backs..
    I only need 3 more to complete that set!

Bobby Abreu
    Chase Utley
    Joe Nathan

Does anyone have these?

Tom
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    28 days!!!!
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    hey guys, been away since last year. Looking forward to trading with you all again. Just saw on topps website they have the release date listed as June 22 now
  • Options

<< <i>hey guys, been away since last year. Looking forward to trading with you all again. Just saw on topps website they have the release date listed as June 22 now >>

Good info, thanks!

Hopefully that doesn't mean Taiwan...
  • Options
    oh man, anyone see the video on the topps site? DANG!!!!!!!!

Kevin

09 A&G

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Kevin:

Do you have any details / insight on the 2008 Ginter code, how it was cracked -- what was involved, how complicated, etc?

Thanks for any insight-
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    And I guess my questions are more this:

I have heard and seen how the code was broken on 2008 A&G. How easy/hard was it to determine which cards had a code on it? Was it something obvious based upon looking at the card backs, etc? It's one thing to figure out the order and go about cracking the code...but a whole different animal if it takes significant analysis to initially determine which cards even have the code.

marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know a good place to buy blaster cases? >>

Cory, Lockwood email has a good price & is safe (ie always delivers).
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    I just used Microsofts new live cashback "Bing" to BIN a hobby case from BigT Sportscards. They were $5 more than Blowout but blowout was not listed in the cashback search results.
    8% off on the BigT case so about $910 after cashback.
    SH was free for both dealers, no other 2009 AG cases listed on eBay.

Bing was pretty easy to use, it's the same account as your MSN Live cashback was, so no setting up a new account, just agree to new terms.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    Thanks for the Lockwood info. Glad to see some more cases coming to trade. I hope the June 22nd is correct I can no longer wait. I remember all the Taiwan ebay auctions going on last year as we all had to sit and wait patiently for our cases to arrive, not fair.
  • Options
    The Ginter code was easy to crack last year, sure I can say that I didin't figure it out partly because I didn't think it would be
    that easy! It was apparent very early on that the code was tied to the team orange cards. What made this difficult was first
    the team orange cards were very hard to pull from packs. A week into it I still hadn't seen all of them on ebay or on the
    boards. It was very hard to also access the info on the backs of these cards, as many on ebay didn't have scans of the back.

The backs contains some made up info on the player, some of this info pointed to other players and other athletes who were
    pictured on the crack the code card (also a tough set to put together). Once I had linked a few to the info on the backs of the
    team orange cards, I knew I was headed in the right direction!

It turned out that the backs of the 10 team orange had NOTHING to do with the code and you only needed the 20 crack the
    code cards to figure out the code.

If you turned the crack the code cards over and studied them you would notice that one card would end with a word, and another card
    would start with that same word. This went on until all the cards lined up. Once they did you had the master order of all the letters, once again
    the solution for which letters were in the code was as easy as starting again with the pattern of code cards and counting from there....so that
    once the crack cards were in order, you used the card #'s to count the letters...so like.....3....11.....20.....9....5....4 etc

Not in itself too hard, topps did reward anyone who bought a bunch of this stuff as they had access to all the cards. I am looking forward to the
    much harder crack the code this year!

Kevin
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I am looking for a case and 1/2 and need a good source. Has anyone used BigT before besides Paul? I really don't want two cases so I will have about 6 hobby boxes for sale. Also does cashback work with the best offer option since it is BIN? I dont really want to risk it if it doesn't

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Dave,

The seller will have to adjust the price for you or BO will not work for the cash back.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Hope I get a good card in the pack I buy
  • Options
    Mike,
    With your luck, all signs point to yes. (a little 8 ball prognostication there)
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    I just got an email from BigT listing hobby cases at $925, quite a discount from the ebay price. I believe that SH is free too.
    BIGT SPORTSCARDS
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    I've never bought any Allen & Ginter before and am really looking forward to this release. I don't have even close to enough for a full case but I'm thinking about buying 2 maybe 3 boxes. I did a quick search on ebay to see what my options were for pre-ordering. One of the sellers is mnmsportsmem, this handle sounds familiar, is it one to avoid?

*edit* another question, do you guys store these in card saver I in boxes? I've been putting my collection in 9 pocket pages but the base cards look larger than normal.
  • Options
    Latest email from BigTSportscards:
    2009 TOPPS ALLEN & GINTER BASEBALL
    (pre-sell)
    7-1
    Configuration: 12 boxes per case. 24 packs per box. 8 cards per pack.

12 BOX CASE: $909.95
    HOBBY BOX: $75.95

Ahzzy, 2008 base cards were regular size to fit in 9 pocket pages, 2009 should be also. I keep mine in a binder.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    Do we have a solid release date? The Topps website say June 22nd. Blowout and every other vendor say July 1st.
  • Options

<< <i>Latest email from BigTSportscards:
    2009 TOPPS ALLEN & GINTER BASEBALL
    (pre-sell)
    7-1
    Configuration: 12 boxes per case. 24 packs per box. 8 cards per pack.

12 BOX CASE: $909.95
    HOBBY BOX: $75.95

Ahzzy, 2008 base cards were regular size to fit in 9 pocket pages, 2009 should be also. I keep mine in a binder. >>

Thanks for the info! I just ordered 3 boxes as a birthday present for myself! I've never spent this much on cards before. Really looking forward to the rip image
  • Options
    I am making a request now for any Clyde Parris cards that members wish to donate. He is a close personal friend, and Topps didn't give him much of his card, and he wants them to give to his family members and friends. At 83, he's not about to start to go around buying his own card. Hopefully you can help me help out a man who has waited 50+ years for his own baseball card.
  • Options

<< <i>I am making a request now for any Clyde Parris cards that members wish to donate. He is a close personal friend, and Topps didn't give him much of his card, and he wants them to give to his family members and friends. At 83, he's not about to start to go around buying his own card. Hopefully you can help me help out a man who has waited 50+ years for his own baseball card. >>

No problem, hopefully he is not an SP.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am making a request now for any Clyde Parris cards that members wish to donate. He is a close personal friend, and Topps didn't give him much of his card, and he wants them to give to his family members and friends. At 83, he's not about to start to go around buying his own card. Hopefully you can help me help out a man who has waited 50+ years for his own baseball card. >>

No problem, hopefully he is not an SP. >>

I believe he's one of the autographed Negro League cards. Not sure what they're numbered to.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No problem, hopefully he is not an SP. >>

I believe he's one of the autographed Negro League cards. Not sure what they're numbered to. >>

Those got pretty expensive back in 07, at least the autos. Im sure base cards and minis won't be a problem.

Kevin
  • Options

Assuming he has a base card (and hopefully not an SP), I’d be glad to send him any that I come across. I’ll even go out of my way to get extras to send to him. Do you happen to know if he will sign copies that are sent to him TTM. I’ve been collecting the A&G cards signed TTM since Bryon turned me onto the cards with his Autographed thread. I’ll send him several copies if he will sign and return one of them. It looks like he has a perfect signing history on SCN so I doubt it will be an issue.
    "WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael
  • Options
    Has there been a checklist released for the base card set yet? As a Mariner fan I'm really hoping to see Griffey in a M's uniform.
  • Options
    I asked this a couple pages back but no one said anything.

Do we have a solid release date? The Topps website say June 22nd. Blowout and every other vendor say July 1st.
  • Options

<< <i>I asked this a couple pages back but no one said anything.

Do we have a solid release date? The Topps website say June 22nd. Blowout and every other vendor say July 1st. >>

My guess (and sorry, I thought I had replied...might have been on another site) is that the 22nd is the Taiwan release date.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I asked this a couple pages back but no one said anything.

Do we have a solid release date? The Topps website say June 22nd. Blowout and every other vendor say July 1st. >>

My guess (and sorry, I thought I had replied...might have been on another site) is that the 22nd is the Taiwan release date. >>

Thanks Ross!
    Time to move to Taiwan... There is alot of crap made there, I should be able to find a job....
  • Options
    It's about 9:30 in the morning in Taiwan...if A&G did in fact hit there today, we should see scans by the time we wake up in the morning.

In other news, I wasn't able to sell enough to get enough of a lump sum together to order a case all at once, so I've been working towards it in chunks. Pre-Ordered 3 more hobby boxes today at $74 a piece delivered. That puts me at 5 boxes so far, so I'm not quite half way there, but it will be a fun rip either way until I can do more.
  • Options
    I'm going to sit down with Clyde soon to figure out how to handle all of these requests because he remarked he's already a bit overwhelmed with requests, and I don't think he realizes how it's going to be once these cards go live.

<< <i>

Assuming he has a base card (and hopefully not an SP), I’d be glad to send him any that I come across. I’ll even go out of my way to get extras to send to him. Do you happen to know if he will sign copies that are sent to him TTM. I’ve been collecting the A&G cards signed TTM since Bryon turned me onto the cards with his Autographed thread. I’ll send him several copies if he will sign and return one of them. It looks like he has a perfect signing history on SCN so I doubt it will be an issue. >>

• Options
    Give us some good news folks!
  • Options
    I got an email from blowout that said 7/7 instead of 7/1 hopefully its a typo image
  • Options
    Historically, it's been released several weeks into July...we may be looking at that again.
  • Options

<< <i>I got an email from blowout that said 7/7 instead of 7/1 hopefully its a typo image >>

BigT has now changed their release to 7/8 image
  • Options
    I know the later release date sucks for those of you that have already pre-ordered. But, for me, it helps since I now have a couple of more weeks to find enough $ to get in image
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    This is not what I wanted to hear. I was actually hoping to see some Tiawan auctions one ebay this week. Wonder what the hold up is? I got this from blowout over the weekend. What is funny is when I bought my case back in May they only had 5 cases available then image

2009 TOPPS ALLEN & GINTER BASEBALL 12 bx Case for $925 ($77.08 a Bx rate !)
    2 case lot for $1800
    1/2 Case lot for $475
    (5 Cases available) (07/01 Release)
    (SOLD OUT AT TOPPS)
    24 Packs per Box. Mini Parallel cards 1 per pack. Cut Signatures each is a ONE OF ONE. All new insert cards 1 per pack. Hobby exclusive RIP cards 1 per. Hobby exclusive box loader 1 per box. Combined insertion rate for Autograph/Relic/Printing Plate/ Cut Signature/Rip cards 3 per box
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I got an email from blowout that said 7/7 instead of 7/1 hopefully its a typo image >>

BigT has now changed their release to 7/8 image >>

I Found out why the delay!! Billy the Marlin never got a chance to sign his cards!!

• Options

<< <i>
    I Found out why the delay!! Billy the Marlin never got a chance to sign his cards!! >>

They should untie him then.

Is this the official reason? Does that mean they haven't packaged anything up yet?
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>I know the later release date sucks for those of you that have already pre-ordered. But, for me, it helps since I now have a couple of more weeks to find enough $ to get in image >>

If you do get a case can I at least watch you open them? That might be the only chance I get to enjoy A&G this year. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I Found out why the delay!! Billy the Marlin never got a chance to sign his cards!! >>

They should untie him then.

Is this the official reason? Does that mean they haven't packaged anything up yet? >>

No i have no idea. But since there are no foreigh seas auctions yet makes me think it has been pushed back. Im going to call Blowout.
  • Options
    Crap release calandar now shows 7/7. image

Maybe the 7/7 numbers will bring us luck!

Blowout Release Calandar
  • Options

<< <i>
    No i have no idea. But since there are no foreigh seas auctions yet makes me think it has been pushed back. Im going to call Blowout. >>

Sorry, bad attempt at humor, I should have said something like, "I call BS, they would have simply gotten the Phillie Phanatic to forge the signature."
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭