Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The OFFICIAL 2009 Allen & Ginter Thread...LET'S SEE SOME RIPS.

***********************June 29th Release Date***********************

Topps Allen and Ginter Baseball returns with all new insert cards including

Biggest Hoaxes, Hoodwinks, & Bamboozles, Cut Signature cards highlighting luminaries from centuries past, popular DNA cards featuring Napoleon and Geronimo, and an all new Ginter Code!

NEW! This year, each Allen & Ginter 24-Count Hobby Box contains

a combination of any THREE of the following :
Autograph
Cut Signature
Rip
Relic
Printing Plate
PLUS
One Box Loader

imageimageimage
imageimageimage
imageimageimage
imageimage

More Images:

imageimage

---------------------------------------

The base set will consist of 350 cards — 230 baseball players, 30 rookies, 25 historic figures and 15 world champions. It also will include 50 short-printed cards. Among the unusual inclusions to the basic set are Old Faithful – yep, the famous Yellowstone geyser — Brigham Young, Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte, Vincent Van Gogh, Gen. George Custer, Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps and The Milky Way. (That’s right, the galaxy.)

There will be a new Ginter code to decipher — along with a card featuring the collector who broke last year’s hidden code (presumably among the world champions set), while this year’s version includes a Creatures of Legend set that includes Bigfoot, The Loch Ness Monster and other mythic creatures. (Not sure how collectors will react to that.)

Also new will be a “world’s biggest hoaxes, hoodwinks and bamboozles” set — Charles Ponzi, The Runaway Bride, Enron, Cold Fusion, Bernie Madoff and The War of the Worlds among others.

The lineup also includes the requisite mini cards, printing plates, Rip Cards (with Dick Perez paintings possibly found inside) and the always popular framed mini autographs and Relic cards — some again including DNA.

Among the box loaders will be a Michael Phelps autographed card.

The National Pride set will include 75 cards showcasing players’ home countries, while the 40-card National Heroes set will do the same but with non-baseball personalities such as George Washington, William Wallace and Winston Churchill among others.

Autographs

Among the autographs, collectors will find a smattering of big-name baseball stars like Evan Longoria, David Ortiz and Ryan Howard but also Phelps, Texas and USA Softball star Cat Osterman, former Atlanta Hawk Dominique Wilkins, Billy The Marlin (yes, apparently the mascot), Olympic speed skater Apolo Anton Ohno and many others.

The preliminary checklist is below:

AGA-MC Miguel Cabrera
AGA-DW David Wright
AGA-JW Jayson Werth
AGA-JR Jose Reyes
AGA-JC Joba Chamberlain
AGA-DO David Ortiz
AGA-MH Matt Holiday
AGA-RH Ryan Howard
AGA-CJ Conor Jackson
AGA-JF Jeff Francoeur
AGA-JJ Josh Johnson
AGA-CK Clayton Kershaw
AGA-ES Ervin Santana
AGA-AR Alex Rios
AGA-HR Hanley Ramirez
AGA-JP Jonathan Papelbon
AGA-SO Scott Olsen
AGA-JM Justin Masterson

AGA-EL Evan Longoria
AGA-TT Troy Tulowitzki
AGA-MS Max Scherzer
AGA-RB Ryan Braun
AGA-JB Jay Bruce
AGA-CG Carlos Gomez
AGA-DS Denard Span
AGA-CM Cameron Maybin
AGA-AC Alexi Casilla
AGA-MP Michael Phelps
AGA-BC Bob Crowley
AGA-DOW Dominique Wilkins
AGA-CO Cat Osterman
AGA-LM LaShawn Merritt
AGA-AT Anna Tunnicliffe
AGA-RL Ryan Lochte
AGA-MZ Mariel Zagunis
AGA-WE Walton Eller
AGA-KA Kristen Armstrong
AGA-SB Stephanie Brown Trafton
AGA-FE Frank Evans
AGA-AP Art Ponnington
AGA-RM Red Moore
AGA-HS Herb Simpson
AGA-CP Clyde Paris
AGA-WW Willie Williams
AGA-MN Milito Navarro
AGA-BM Billy The Marlin
AGA-HT Hannah Teter
AGA-SD Shani Davis
AGA-RMA Robbie Maddison
AGA-BBE Brian Berg
AGA-SW Steve Wiebe
AGA-AR Adam Richman
AGA-MB Michele Borassi
AGA-AO Apolo Anton Ohno
AGA-MG Michael Gaffney
AGA-TBD TBD
AGA-TBD TBD
AGA-TBD TBD
AGA-TBD TBD

Relics

Among the DNA Relics this year are Napoleon, Jefferson Davis, King George III, Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Edgar Allen Poe, George Washington, Geronimo, Abraham Lincoln and Beethoven.

Here are the non-standard Relics:

AGR-BTM Billy The Marlin
AGR-MM Mickey Mantle
AGR-BC Bob Crowley
AGR-DOW Dominique Wilkins
AGR-CO Cat Osterman
AGR-LM LaShawn Merritt
AGR-AT Anna Tunnicliffe
AGR-RL Ryan Lochte
AGR-MZ Mariel Zagunis
AGR-WE Walton Eller
AGR-KA Kristen Armstrong
AGR-SB Stephanie Brown Trafton
AGR-FE Frank Evans
AGR-AP Art Ponnington
AGR-RM Red Moore
AGR-HS Herb Simpson
AGR-CP Clyde Paris
AGR-WW Willie Williams
AGR-MN Milito Navarro
AGR-BM Billy The Marlin
AGR-HT Hannah Teter
AGR-SD Shani Davis
AGR-RMA Robbie Maddison
AGR-BBE Brian Berg
AGR-SW Steve Wiebe
AGR-AR Adam Richman
AGR-MB Michele Borassi
AGR-AO Apolo Anton Ohno
AGR-MG Michael Gaffney
AGR-PBR Bones

Box loaders

The N43s will include several top stars. The Relic versions will include A-Rod, Manny, Japan’s Yu Darvish (and several other World Baseball Classic stars) along with Phelps.

The N43 checklist is below:

N43BA-JC Joba Chamberlain
N43BA-CK Clayton Kershaw
N43BA-HR Hanley Ramirez
N43BA-JM Justin Masterson
N43BA-JB Jay Bruce
N43BA-AR Alex Rios
N43BA-DW David Wright
N43BA-EL Evan Longoria
N43BA-MS Max Scherzer
N43BA-CG Carlos Gomez

N43 Autograph Relics:
N43BAR-RH Ryan Howard
N43BAR-DO David Ortiz
N43BAR-DW David Wright
N43BAR-EL Evan Longoria
N43BAR-RB Ryan Braun

The Cabinet Box Loaders will include a selection of baseball and historic figures, including one card of the winning World Baseball Classic team. Here’s the checklist:

Cabinet Box Loaders
CB1 Ubaldo Jimenez
Yurendell de Caster
Gene Kingsale
Sidney de Jong
CB2 Frederich Cepeda
Yulieski Gourriel
Yoennis Cespedes
Alfredo Despaigne
CB3 David Wright
Brian Roberts
Kevin Youkilis
Jimmy Rollins
CB4 Hisashi Iwakuma
Ichiro
Norichika Aoki
Daisuke Matsuzaka
CB5 WBC Champion
WBC Champion
WBC Champion
WBC Champion
CB6 Thomas Jefferson
John Hanc**k
Benjamin Franklin
Samuel Adams
CB7 George Washington
Alexander Hamilton
Bejamin Franklin
James Madison
CB8 Harry Truman
Lester B Pearson
Luigi Einaudi
Antonio Oscar Carmona
CB9 Abraham Lincoln
Ulysses S. Grant
Jefferson Davis
Robert E Lee
CB10 John F Kennedy
Lyndon B. Johnson
Nikita Khrushchev
Leonid Brezhnev
Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    This is a good looking product IMO! It's a redesign, but still signature Allen & Ginter...very nice.

Very excited. I was talking to my dealer yesterda and he had nothing...then this shows its face.
  • Great, I was going to stay away from A&G this year, but it actually looks pretty good.
    Depending on how the market receives it, it could be amazing. The design is spot on to me though, so I'll certainly be going a bit crazy with it I'm sure.
  • Sweet! A Naploean Bonapube.
  • hopefully by august i can afford to do a case or two again. do those images imply that the autos aren't going to be in frames? i am hating on the frames lately. looks good so far!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sweet! A Naploean Bonapube. >>

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have a reliable pre order source. I am getting a case of hobby this year.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
    Updated with release date and prelim checklist info.

If they stick to this, this is going to be an incredible release...I'm stoked.

Very strong AUTO check list...the relics are pretty cool too.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they stick to this, this is going to be an incredible release... >>

With Topps' recent exclusions from preliminary checklists, this is a really really big IF.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    Cannot wait for A&G!!!
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I like 'em and will buy some.

Even though I find great irony in a modern card company issuing
    a series titled, "Biggest Hoaxes, Hoodwinks, & Bamboozles."

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If they stick to this, this is going to be an incredible release... >>

With Topps' recent exclusions from preliminary checklists, this is a really really big IF. >>

Yes this is very true. can we trust topps now after yanking the checklist in two products in 2009?

Kevin
    The one good thing about A&G is that some of the best pulls have nothing to do with baseball players...it's folks who are absolutely thrilled to be included in a major release such as this and who truly want to fulfill their obligations.

• << <i>Yes this is very true. can we trust topps now after yanking the checklist in two products in 2009? >>

Typical negative post about anything not related to Heritage.
    I don't think A&G has ever been shorted (maybe over produced last year), but the chase cards are always entertaining. Heritage has been in rapid decline since its first few years of inception. Though it is a beautiful set every year, it wasn't built on the same fundamentals as A&G.
    hmmm. Mike Tyson in 2006, Joe Frazier in 2007.....Aaron Pryor in 2008?

Danica in 2006, Mario Andretti in 2007 Nick Hayden in 2008?

Ripken in 2006 Arod in 2007 Matt Kemp in 2008?

You see where Im going with this? The reality is that there will always be cool autographs in ginter, but even with the economy was good and
    topps was doing product right, the bar is being lowered every year. When I see a red Ryan Howard autograph in the promo material, that only
    means one thing to me, Howard will only sign 10 cards in the entire print run and the auto checklist will be weak just like heritage. Topps once
    again knows they will sell out of Ginter no matter what, what would motivate them to make the autograph checklist decent?

...and lets also keep in mind that this product costs much more than heritage...maybe topps will get the autograph holder and rip card thing taken
    care of for once!

Kevin
    You all think Billy the Marlin with be a short print? Im guessing group Z

Kevin
  • Biggest cheats? Wonder if Madoff will have a cut autograph or something like that in the set? image

I've never gotten into the A&G like I have Heritage, but since I finished Heritage up so early this year, I may give it a shot!
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • mosaicmosaic Posts: 700
    I'm still working on the 08 set... half-heartedly... I think I've lost my love for A&G. I think 07 was best in terms of variety and thrill. Too many subsets last year. I can't be the only one that felt that way -- I still see blasters as Target and Meijer.

But I do really like the look of the 09 set. I probably won't be jumping all over it, but if they don't do umpteen subsets again, I could see myself buying more than in 08. Right now, I'm thinking I may just stick to players I like this year. With the 08 set, I've got some ancient icons and baseball icons left, and I just can't muster the desire...

I don't know how Heritage nuts do it. I think 09 Heritage looks gorgeous. But with all the variants, SPs, etc, I'm done at two packs.

Although, all bets are off if Topps gets a Shawn Johnson card in there. My Kerri Strug 08 auto needs a friend.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
    Frank, hope you find a way to get in the game this year. You're one of the guys who introduced me to A&G in 2007.
    wow Phelps N43 is numbered to just 3!!!

This set is a player collectors dream. Lots to collect, the wood minis get amazing sell prices and I have seen more than one person who has
    managed to get all the wood parallels from 06-08, gotta wonder what they are prepared to pay for 2009's!

I would suggest to everyone who is interested in the product to find a legit dealer and order early. I really hate to pre order anything, but
    with the cuts topps has been making and the popularity of this product hitting right in the middle of the season, you can be sure that this
    stuff will be super hot when it hits! I think I mght go back and re-read the other Ginter threads!

Kevin
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    This sucks! I wasn't going to do A&G this year but the design is awesome (again)! Now I'm probably going to have to do a box or 4. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Very excite! Very excite!

Wow a month early this year. I might do two cases this year. More hits per box is a good thing.

I think last year they did A&G just perfect. Not overly hard to get the reg size set both reg and SP's. The real quest is the minis and mini subsets. I think Phelps is numbered to 420 image
  • KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    I cannot wait for this!! I just finished up my '08 set a few weeks ago. Had a few stragglers. The wife ought to be pretty disappointed this year. She wasn't all that happy at what I spent on the '08 set. '09 looks to be even better. image
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Blowout cards just posted pre-sale information at $989.99 per case. Does anyone see this going higher/lower?

• Hi there. Cant wait for these cards myself. I will be posting many scans.
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone is looking to preorder, I am preselling cases at $980 shipped. LMK by pm if you are interested.

Stoney
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    what did a case run last year?

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Here we go again !!!! With Topps having the rights to the Ufc fighters I am hoping they could add a big name Brock Lesnar Rashad Evans or Chuck Lidell that was not include in the UFC round one set. Overall Looks to be another winner although the same players being recycled for autos and game used year after year does get a little old. Also of note blowout still has last years cases at $724
  • gstarlinggstarling Posts: 463 ✭✭

<< <i>what did a case run last year?

Dave >>

I got two cases for just under $800 each. Started early, looked for coupons, the whole 9.

In this economy, there will be deals to be had, especially coupon codes and things like that.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    Where is the best place to pre-order boxes? I do not want to have another Rosselli cards incident.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I'll pick up a couple packs I guess
  • Why doesn't BBCE do pre-order sales on new stuff?

<< <i>Where is the best place to pre-order boxes? I do not want to have another Rosselli cards incident. >>

I have never had a problem with Blowoutcards. They arrived in a timely manner as well.
    I just opened up 4 boxes of 08 and it was loaded. I pulled two rip cards, one plate 1/1 and a silk card. You can't deny the value of this product
    year in and year out. I hope that topps doesn't pull a 09 heritage on the auto checklist. This stuff is Fun with a capital F.

The early release date means we could be ripping this in time for the All Star game now THAT would be amazing!

Kevin
    So I had some trade turned in for some store credit and so I picked up another box of A&G for 25 after the credit. The first pack I hit another plate..Paul
    LoDuca!

Kevin
    2 months and counting, I just pre ordered a case from my guy in NC for 960. The thought of opening this stuff while watching the All Star game is amazing. I
    WILL crack the code this year!

Who else is pumped?

Kevin
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I preordered a few cases from Jack Lockwood today. He has retail & blaster cases coming plus a few jumbo cases (6-20 pack boxes, 12 cards/pack). I ordered one of each and will probably try to pick up a hobby case somewhere. I did great from retail/blaster cases (the 1/1 Pat Neshek wood mini) last year.

Jack's email is Lockwood
    I know it sounds like an ad for him but he's always treated me right and the retail product is much less money than the hobby.

edited to correct address
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Less than two months!

I believe the case prices are going up.

Dave and Adams: $1025 (free shipping!)
    Blowout: $1049.99 (assuming "free" shipping)
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>I preordered a few cases from Jack Lockwood today. He has retail & blaster cases coming plus a few jumbo cases (6-20 pack boxes, 12 cards/pack). I ordered one of each and will probably try to pick up a hobby case somewhere. I did great from retail/blaster cases (the 1/1 Pat Neshek wood mini) last year.

Jack's email is Lockwood
    I know it sounds like an ad for him but he's always treated me right and the retail product is much less money than the hobby. >>

Just wondering what you did with the Neshek... he's a big time card collector and would probably work out a nice trade for it.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Jasen,
    I did indeed trade that card to Pat. If you look at the 2008 AG thread, in October I think, you'll see the scans of what he sent me. It was pretty cool.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>Jasen,
    I did indeed trade that card to Pat. If you look at the 2008 AG thread, in October I think, you'll see the scans of what he sent me. It was pretty cool.

Dave >>

That's very cool! I must have missed it in the long thread...
  • I just spoke with my distributor - I have 1 case available for $985
    ---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote

<< <i>Less than two months!

I believe the case prices are going up.

Dave and Adams: $1025 (free shipping!)
    Blowout: $1049.99 (assuming "free" shipping) >>

I noticed this as well. Last year I think I paid $835 for my case at blowout. Must be the "More hits per box" that is driving this one up. Hope MS cash back or i find a decent cupon code for Blowout or Dave and Adams.

I usually buy from Blowout but after Dave and Adams had the Mother Thressa pull at the National a few years ago I might try them. Does anyone know if they ship in a timely manner?
    Probably a lot of redundancy here, but my local hobby shop guy set this aside for me and I thought I'd share.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Case prices are going down.

Blowout: $979.99 (free shipping)
    eBay: $960.00 BIN ($25.00 shipping)
    $883.20 with Microsoft Cashback at 8% ($25.00 shipping)

edited to add that the above is not my eBay listing.
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
    Thanks Ross I have printed it and hung it in my cube.

Anyone have any cupon codes for Blowout cards? I dont have any recent mags.

Oh and I found this video 2009 Allen & Ginter Video
    wow, cracking the code wins you an entire autograph set! now THAT is worth it! What do you say we all try to crack it together then do a random
    drawing for the cards if we win?

I have a case already locked and loaded, I can't see this going anywhere but through the roof as we get closer to the release date, baseball has been
    totally bad this year so far. This is going to be sick!

Kevin

<< <i>wow, cracking the code wins you an entire autograph set! now THAT is worth it! What do you say we all try to crack it together then do a random
    drawing for the cards if we win?
    Kevin >>

Good idea Kevin, the key is to get the code cards online asap. I dont have a case secured yet but should shortly