Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL 2009 Allen & Ginter Thread...LET'S SEE SOME RIPS.

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see you getting on board this year Craig. How much are you ripping?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    I'm probably good for a few boxes, possibly a case. I had great luck on the inaugural product. I pulled a N43 Boxtopper Barry Bonds autograph. I unloaded it for a lot more than I expected. When I saw that they just rolled over the design in subsequent years, I stayed away. Now that they've made a small changeup in design, I'm interested again.
  • Options
    Awesome to hear, I like the design a lot this year as well. Whatever you do, just call Lockwood and ask him to sell you Nick's cases.
  • Options
    Looks like you guys will have a blast this year, as long as the 3 hits per box aren't Randy Winn jerseys or something similar.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like you guys will have a blast this year, as long as the 3 hits per box aren't Randy Winn jerseys or something similar. >>

If those three Randy Winn jersey cards actually have Fred Lewis pictured then you're doing OK!
  • Options
    psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    Does anyone know the actual date when Allen & Ginter will be available? Is it July 7?
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know the actual date when Allen & Ginter will be available? Is it July 7? >>

You are correct. It will be the July 7th/8th time frame. Was orginally going to release tomorrow.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Funny on the topps site it has June 23rd. I sent an email to Clay at topps so we should know an answer soon.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Funny on the topps site it has June 23rd. I sent an email to Clay at topps so we should know an answer soon.

Kevin >>

It's the 23rd. Blowout and the other big retails just need the extra 2 weeks to rip and reseal our boxes!
  • Options
    I wish I could say that was a joke ahzzy.

------------

Received this back from the guy who broke the code (less than a week turn around)...and he's signing his '09 card if you'd like to send him one. It is an SP and I'm sure he'd appreciate any extras you can send along if you have any after rippage.

• Options
    Well I was going to stay away from A&G this year and go to the All Star game instead, but we just bought a new puppy Friday and since he will be too young to leave by himself for that long I guess I'll have to order a case instead of going to the game.
  • Options

<< <i>Well I was going to stay away from A&G this year and go to the All Star game instead, but we just bought a new puppy Friday and since he will be too young to leave by himself for that long I guess I'll have to order a case instead of going to the game. >>

Glad to hear it!

I was wondering what you meant earlier by "us" having a good time ripping...and not including yourself in that lot.
  • Options
    Being a Cardinals fan I was hoping to see the All Star game in St. Louis, but Kansas City is supposed to host it in the next couple of years and my wifes sister lives there so it just makes more sense to wait until then.
  • Options
    Free place to stay...good idea.

Plus, you get to rip the best set of the summer.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Are the minis going to be the same size as previous years, or are they going to be jacked up like Mayo football minis?
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Are the minis going to be the same size as previous years, or are they going to be jacked up like Mayo football minis? >>

I've heard nothing about a size change, and imagine they will stick to the original dimensions of vintage A&G cards.
  • Options
    Case has been purchase! Have any of you guys purchased from martinsc on ebay before? I'm not worried (well after the lr incident maybe a little) he's at 100% with over 6,000 fb, just curious.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to rip open a package of this product
  • Options
    So how many cases did you order Mike, do they sell cases of cases?
  • Options
    My case this year is going to have 155 rip cards in it.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>So how many cases did you order Mike, do they sell cases of cases? >>

LOL only 1

that's a great idea though a 12 case case of cases image

I did buy an unripped 07 rip card of Dice-K last week - maybe it'll be in my mailbox today when I get home

Doubt I'll rip it though - wasn't 07 the ones you can see through with a flashlight?

• Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    '08 as well, Mike
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    All the Usual Suspects, this should be fun.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Check this out. Could this be the gimmick of 2009?

It states no Madoff in the subsets. Maybe a few will "slip" through.
  • Options
    Master set collectors' worst nightmare.
  • Options
    what is the upside down thing they are referring to?
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>what is the upside down thing they are referring to? >>

There were a few cards issued in last years Topps set that were "mysteriously" printed upside down. The cards looked the same, with the team name at the top, but the picture of the player was upside down. I'm sure someone here will be able to provide a scan.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    topps needs no gimmicks on Ginter, they are already sold out, the only thing that a super SP card would do is push up the price of this after
    the release and hopefully that won't effect many of us because we have already bought our cases and boxes. We also know that retail
    can be found and that the price of that won't ever go up at target or walmart.

Do we know for sure that the Bernie card was taken off the checklist? Can't wait!

Kevin
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    release date is july 8th now. dont no if this was mentioned yet?
  • Options

<< <i>

There were a few cards issued in last years Topps set that were "mysteriously" printed upside down. The cards looked the same, with the team name at the top, but the picture of the player was upside down. I'm sure someone here will be able to provide a scan. >>

ah, i see. i thought they were talking about ginter and since i have 2 cases worth of extras... i was hoping i missed something.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    Paul, I need about 15 sp cards to finish a 2008 set. When we start trading '09s, hopefully we can work something out.

I have several hundred minis around the house extra...I've gone through everyone's need lists and I think I had only one that someone needed. Just strange. I'm just going to throw it into the first trade I make with this person.
  • Options
    Ross, I think I have about 30 or so SPs left check the trade list link in my signature.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    kevin, they sold out on heritage way early and that didn't stop the madness of 7 super sp's. So although they don't "need" the gimmicks, they can't resist anyhow.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully, they won't pull that Heritage crap and insert 47 Madoff minis in 1 blaster. Ugh. Still upset about that foul up.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    hey, if anyone needs minis from previous years, send me a pm, i've got lots of leftovers.

- jim
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

There were a few cards issued in last years Topps set that were "mysteriously" printed upside down. The cards looked the same, with the team name at the top, but the picture of the player was upside down. I'm sure someone here will be able to provide a scan. >>

ah, i see. i thought they were talking about ginter and since i have 2 cases worth of extras... i was hoping i missed something. >>

They were in Updates and Highlights - I didn't get any

• Options
    I just emailed Clay, there will be NO Madoffs.

As far as heritage, they did need the gimmick SP's because there was nothing else in the product, Ginter should be loaded, should be!

Kevin
  • Options
    Wonder who is going to take Madoffs place in that subset? Maybe that Gary dude no one seems to like.

Edit to say: Or something like below.

• Options

<< <i>Wonder who is going to take Madoffs place in that subset? Maybe that Gary dude no one seems to like. >>

I would think a substitute would have to be Jason Isringhausen. The Cardinals making him a closer had to involve fraud on some level. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wonder who is going to take Madoffs place in that subset? Maybe that Gary dude no one seems to like. >>

I would think a substitute would have to be Jason Isringhausen. The Cardinals making him a closer had to involve fraud on some level. image >>

White Whales:
  • Options
    What about Vinny Cash steala?

• Options
    Just thought I would link you guys to this video to get you guys ready for this year. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    I'd also say there had to be some fraud involved with Khalil Greene, I mean the guy is on the dl again for social anxiety disorder......image
  • Options
    I enjoyed seeing that video that guy really has a nice collection, but I bet we all together could give him a run for his money. Where is Tom with his
    no number set? Imagine the cards left in those rip cards! Two things I found interesting. Back in 2006 that Bonds would of been worth thousands
    I wonder what he paid? Also the Zimmerman postcard was supposed to be personlized, Ryan elected to just sign it...kinda of a rip off. Still a nice
    collection.

Oh and for those who missed 06-08, 2009 will start tomorrow via a video rip on beckett.com

• Options
    Cool. Thanks for the info Joe! I really like the look of the mini black boarder and am glad they stuck with the black boarders for the relics / autos. On a side note if I pull the invisible man I hope to get his auto TTM.

Beckette pics
  • Options
    OMG im taking it in the pants everyday Blowout has dropped price again!

2009 TOPPS ALLEN & GINTER BASEBALL HOBBY 12 Box Case-$74.95. $899.95

• Options
    could blowout know something that we don't? Heritage and its crappy checklist blew up like 35% right before release. I don't like the
    looks of this.

Kevin
  • Options
    I noticed on the Beckett Box Break video the inclusion of a mini card set called "Inventions of the Future." I believe that was unannounced?
  • Options
    you are correct sir
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OMG im taking it in the pants everyday Blowout has dropped price again!

2009 TOPPS ALLEN & GINTER BASEBALL HOBBY 12 Box Case-$74.95. $899.95 >>

Probably not as much demand as originally thought.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15