Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL 2009 Allen & Ginter Thread...LET'S SEE SOME RIPS.

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Demand the past two years has been amazing, I can't see how this year is any different unless topps just rolled the presses big time. In case
    you all missed it in two boxes beckett pulled a group A relic, a group A auto (scrabble champ) and a silk. I hope they all fall like that!

Kevin
  • Options
    No surprise on the pricing, Blowout hypes the "sold out" thing every year, but they seem to have a never ending supply. Also watching blowout with heritage and A&G the last couple of years, they will drop the site and ebay price until they sell a case and then they jump it back up again. I had to email them for the price last year on the weekend because it said to email/call for pricing availability, and they told me that they only have one case in inventory on the site, so if it sells on the weekend it will show that message until monday morning when they add another into inventory. A&G is alway initially expensive, but if you are planning on flipping your hits then you need it early. If you are the kind of person that keeps everything they pull then you are better off waiting a couple of months, just look at 2008 A&G case prices now $599.95.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    mmmmmm good
  • Options
    same question you have to ask yourself. When 09 heritage came out 08 was dirt cheap, soon 09 was at 90 a box and you were like, ok 2008 was a much
    better product but 1) I want to rip it and 2) is "doing the set" justification for paying more of the lesser product?

08 at 49 bucks a box seems like a good deal and if 09 proves to be watered down a la 09 heritage, then it will become a great deal. I'm hoping 09
    Ginter blows the roof off the place!

Kevin
  • Options
    count me in for 2 packs
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I enjoyed seeing that video that guy really has a nice collection, but I bet we all together could give him a run for his money. Where is Tom with his
    no number set? Imagine the cards left in those rip cards! Two things I found interesting. Back in 2006 that Bonds would of been worth thousands
    I wonder what he paid? Also the Zimmerman postcard was supposed to be personlized, Ryan elected to just sign it...kinda of a rip off. Still a nice
    collection.

Oh and for those who missed 06-08, 2009 will start tomorrow via a video rip on beckett.com >>

Still here with my 2006 allen ginter No Number Mini set. Short 3 cards...

still need the Joe Nathan, Bob Abreu and Chase Utley

I must say, its alot easier finding those rip cards and autos than these NNO minis!

Tom
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I enjoyed seeing that video that guy really has a nice collection, but I bet we all together could give him a run for his money. Where is Tom with his
    no number set? Imagine the cards left in those rip cards! Two things I found interesting. Back in 2006 that Bonds would of been worth thousands
    I wonder what he paid? Also the Zimmerman postcard was supposed to be personlized, Ryan elected to just sign it...kinda of a rip off. Still a nice
    collection.

Oh and for those who missed 06-08, 2009 will start tomorrow via a video rip on beckett.com >>

Still here with my 2006 allen ginter No Number Mini set. Short 3 cards...

still need the Joe Nathan, Bob Abreu and Chase Utley

I must say, its alot easier finding those rip cards and autos than these NNO minis!

Tom >>

Hey Tom! Welcome, are you going to do any 09's? That no number set is really great, heck they are hard to find cause probably many people don't
    know they have them! I would love to rip some more 06 but the prices have gone through the roof!

Kevin
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Kevin...
    Not sure I will get into the 09's. I may? Im trying to stay away from the new stuff and just play with vintage.
    Im sure once I see blasters in Walmart, I will grab a few image

Tom
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    mosaicmosaic Posts: 700
    08 killed all the passion I had for A&G. I'm almost done with the Ancient Icons set and it's going to be a hobble to the finish line. I like the new design, but I'm not feeling the spark like I did with 06 and 07.

Gonna buy a couple singles, maybe a pack... s'about it.

Kinda hoping a pack will light the fire... but not optimistic.

I think A&G has officially gotten too insane even for me.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    Every time I see this thread bumped, I scroll down hoping to see a forum users rips. image
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Say it ain't so Frank.

Have you seen the new UD Goodwins Champs? It may be the first UD set I really get into in a very long time.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Every time I see this thread bumped, I scroll down hoping to see a forum users rips. image >>

////////////

Ditto.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    mosaicmosaic Posts: 700
    Don't worry Bull - when they pare the set down and cut back the nutball stuff about 50%, I'll probably be back on board. Hehe.

The upcoming Goodwins set looks interesting, but some of the card designs are odd... cut & pasty... still, Upper Deck guaranteed me spending some cash -- I will buy at least until I get a Nolan Ryan card image
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    i got to pull the trigger on a case and get denied because the seller's paypal account is unable to accept funds... the seller requires immediate payment. i wish blowout cards would list their cases on ebay at the same price as their website. 8% bing off of that would be nice.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>i got to pull the trigger on a case and get denied because the seller's paypal account is unable to accept funds... the seller requires immediate payment. i wish blowout cards would list their cases on ebay at the same price as their website. 8% bing off of that would be nice. >>

When you do get your case can I at least watch you rip it? That's probably the only way I'll get much A&G action this year. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    I think I like the oddball stuff, it is what draws me to this set. At first I may say, wtf is that, but after a few minutes I want the entire set, plus what other
    product out there has the thrill in every pack of turning that mini over to see what kind it is, I mean THAT is fun.

Im going to be sporting wood sometime this week and can't wait!

urrrr..wood 1/1's that is.

Kevin
  • Options
    That stinks Paul, you might try contacting martinsc and see if they will lower they're BIN price. I asked them what the best they could do was and they said $925, and they were willing to change the BIN price to that. I got the 8% bing discount and I had an 8% ebay coupon so the case cost around $777....not bad. Blowout told me that their listed ebay price was the best that they could do since ebay fees are so high.
  • Options
    i checked the feedback of the seller and the last two were negative due to non delivery of cases. maybe i got lucky. i put in a best offer to blowout and it wasn't immediately rejected so we'll see. otherwise i'll email the seller you mentioned.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    What a blatant rip off of Allen & Ginter! I wonder if Topps will be filing another lawsuit against Upper Deck.

<< <i>Say it ain't so Frank.

Have you seen the new UD Goodwins Champs? It may be the first UD set I really get into in a very long time. >>

• Options

<< <i>What a blatant rip off of Allen & Ginter! I wonder if Topps will be filing another lawsuit against Upper Deck.

<< <i>Say it ain't so Frank.

Have you seen the new UD Goodwins Champs? It may be the first UD set I really get into in a very long time. >>

>>

There won't be a lawsuit over this. It's no different remaking the Goudey sets. UD is redoing a classic set. It looks similar to A&G but the Goodwins sets were entirely different.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    looks like the same product, but instead of pieces of hair from Beethoven and Bonaparte, UD is inserting bugs they find in the back room..genius!

Kevin
  • Options
    psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    The UD Goodwin Champions reminds me of a few years ago when Upper Deck released their UD Vintage product to compete with Topps Heritage.
  • Options

<< <i>i checked the feedback of the seller and the last two were negative due to non delivery of cases. maybe i got lucky. i put in a best offer to blowout and it wasn't immediately rejected so we'll see. otherwise i'll email the seller you mentioned. >>

Is the seller named gemini7881 because I just bought a case from him for 750$ dlvd. He then refunded my money because he did not want to sell it for that cheap...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i checked the feedback of the seller and the last two were negative due to non delivery of cases. maybe i got lucky. i put in a best offer to blowout and it wasn't immediately rejected so we'll see. otherwise i'll email the seller you mentioned. >>

Is the seller named gemini7881 because I just bought a case from him for 750$ dlvd. He then refunded my money because he did not want to sell it for that cheap... >>

that would be the one.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    Yeah I was afraid of that, he is bad news
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    singles are showing up on ebay already This guy has seemed to rip some already.
  • Options
    It starts.

Really digging the black border design...I think it may be worth building.
  • Options
    Cant wait this is going to be great !
  • Options

<< <i>singles are showing up on ebay already This guy has seemed to rip some already. >>

someone email him and get him to send us a scan of the bottom of the box and wrapper!
  • Options

<< <i>singles are showing up on ebay already This guy has seemed to rip some already. >>

someone email him and get him to send us a scan of the bottom of the box and wrapper!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Wow...you can get short sets (#1-300) for $20 delievered right now. Sets will be dirt cheap as there will be a TON of this stuff opened.
  • Options
    If anyone has an extra 2006 base/sp set built, I'd love to work out a trade, especially if you aren't opening '09 this year or didn't open '08 last year.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow...you can get short sets (#1-300) for $20 delievered right now. Sets will be dirt cheap as there will be a TON of this stuff opened. >>

Ginter base sets always go this cheap, its all the other cards that go for good money. Pull a Griffey or Jeter rare back and make big money!

Kevin
  • Options
    Hey Mike!!!

Dice-K plate
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Mike!!!

Dice-K plate >>

I saw that auction yesterday but now it says the listing has been removed. Wonder if some DICEK nutjob offered him good money to end it early.
  • Options
    plate collectors have to work quick, I wouldn't be surprised if someone offered a big price for that one. You can usually get what you want on the
    wood 1/1's

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Mike!!!

Dice-K plate >>

I saw that auction yesterday but now it says the listing has been removed. Wonder if some DICEK nutjob offered him good money to end it early. >>

LOL wasn't me
  • Options
    So I contact the guy who had the Ginter for sale already, he threw away the box and wrappers!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo
  • Options

<< <i>So I contact the guy who had the Ginter for sale already, he threw away the box and wrappers!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo >>

How would he have gotten them before the release? Is this one of the perks for Topps employees?
  • Options
    sometimes it just happens that way, usually florida is first, last year Korea was first.

Kevin
  • Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    I wish there was a case of cases. But for now, I'll just buy 1 case for starters. Someone should start a thread on ripping the 2009 A&G's.

Looking for Ozzie Smith PSA 10's and 1949 Bowman PSA 5's.

Trevmo
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options

<< <i>I wish there was a case of cases. But for now, I'll just buy 1 case for starters. Someone should start a thread on ripping the 2009 A&G's.

Looking for Ozzie Smith PSA 10's and 1949 Bowman PSA 5's.

Trevmo >>

This will probably be the thread for that, unless it is decided that we need another one.

PS If you plan on doing any trading this year you may want to go into your profile and turn on your PMs.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    I see Big T sportscards is down to $883.15
  • Options
    Talked to my dealer today he said he will have it Wednesday. He said it hits today.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>I see Big T sportscards is down to $883.15 >>

nice, and you don't have to deal with ebay or the bing discount.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    BAM!!! and just like that I'm in the game. image

I would like to do a black border mini set this year so all of my regular and A&G back minis will be available for trade as well as any full sized sets I make from the case.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    Glad you made it in Paul!
  • Options
    Ill save my black borders for you! Im doing the master mini set, rip cards, rip minis, bazookas and autos. Might do a GU set also.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>BAM!!! and just like that I'm in the game. image

I would like to do a black border mini set this year so all of my regular and A&G back minis will be available for trade as well as any full sized sets I make from the case. >>

Glad to hear it, I am going for a regular mini set this year, unfortunately I have not yet bought a case due to the complication with the one seller who refused to sell me the case that I won for $750. I am still waiting for a good price to show up.
  • Options

<< <i>Ill save my black borders for you! Im doing the master mini set, rip cards, rip minis, bazookas and autos. Might do a GU set also.

Kevin >>

Dang Kevin! You're setting the bar kind of high going for a Bazooka set! Good luck!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards