Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mike's TTM items and other autos - Latest New Additions

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice Mike ... that Dawson helmet looks like it came out very nice!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Added card 3/132 to my '71-'72 hockey set - HOFer Alex Delvecchio

Also, recent additions from Dodger Stadium:

'03 Heritage
    Willie Harris

'09 Heritage
    Chad Qualls
    Will Venable
    Cameron Maybin

'11 Heritage
    Terry Collins (Mets didn't sign very much)
    Will Venable
    Chase Headley

Congrats on the additions Mike.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    i went out to Frank & Son Collectibles today. Bill Singer, former 20 game winner for the Dodgers was signing. The price was a little steep ($25) but I wanted to finish my Don Sutton RC so I went and took a card for me and one for InitialD. Bill was nice and I'm glad to finish it.

Also, went to Dodgers game with the wife on Thursday night and ran into Steve Garvey (the night before he was fired by the team, coincidentally). He was nice enough to sign my '81 team ball. He's addition #4. Going for Jay Johnstone tomorrow morning. He'll be #5.

Finally, '63 British Open champ Bob Charles was kind enough to sign my flag TTM. I'm doing this one slowly and trying to get guys to inscribe their victory year(s).

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Beautiful stuff. I love the Len Dawson and the '81 Dodger team ball. Btw how was Cameron Maybin? A lady I work with in Asheville, her daughter dated Maybin in high school.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    It was the first time I had ever seen Maybin. He seemed cool. Didn't talk much but signed a card for everyone that wanted one.
    My father in law was able to get to the Chantilly Show for me this past weekend. Now up to 21/45 possible on my NBA 50 Greatest lithograph

Added:
    Nate 'Tiny' Archibald
    Robert Parish
    Kevin McHale

• That Litho is looking awesome. I hope you get as many as you can. The 50 Greatest are the Cornerstone of any great Basketball Collection. The litho was like $30,000 to $50,000 with everybody but Maravich. Keep it up.
    I won't be spending close to that much getting the 45/50 that are living. I'm 21 in now and 23 in after Drexler/Olajuwon next week. I got a bunch of guys free in person (West/Baylor/Magic/Walton/Worthy/Sharman). After next week I'll have spent $1100 plus shipping on it and be more than halfway done.
  • I saw that Olajuwon private signing. I think it is very reasonable. Not too many Olajuwon Signings. That Litho is worth at least $5,000 with Olajuwon and Drexler. The Tough Ones are going to be Barkley, Ewing, and Jordan. Bing and Cunningham are also very tough.
    Received 71-72 Topps cards from Derek Sanderson and Kenny Hodge today. Also Got All Star Game MVP ball #17/32 back from a Fred McGriff signing with Frozen Pond in Toronto.

• Really nice 1971 Topps. Great looking set. I really like the 1971 OPC probably more because it has LaFleur, Dionne, and a couple Sabres Greats that are not in the Topps like Don Luce and Dick Duff. I bought a Bobby Orr signed 1971 Topps Leaders PSA DNA Slabbed for $31 shipped. 1970 and 1971 Topps and OPC are the Two Nicest Hockey Sets ever produced.
    Mike,

What's up with the hockey cards ... hockey players can't afford markers that work? LOL

Great additions.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Nice mail day!

Added:

2010 HR Derby Champ David Ortiz on the Gold ball from the event (Private Signing)
    David Ortiz to my 2004 Red Sox Team ball (Private signing)
    Jon Lester begins a 2007 Red Sox team ball (Private signing)

Ortiz was supposed to sign the 07 ball too but it was missed. not too upset - now I can put that money toward a signed thing at the national.

Also got hockey cards back from Henri Richard, Gary Doak and Dave Keon

New additions today!

Moses Malone from a private signing
    75 Topps rookie
    77 Topps
    78 Topps
    79 Topps
    81 Topps
    86 Fleer

Moses also was the first to sign my 82-83 World Champion Sixers Media Guide - inscribed 83 MVP (I had wanted 83 Finals MVP)

Also added TTM:
    69-70 Topps Ken Hodge
    71-72 Connie Hawkins

• Nice Moses Malones. If I was still collecting the 1986 Fleers I would have gone for that, the price for Moses was very reasonable. His rookie is very undervalued. He was the 1976 ers best player during their championship run not the overrated Dr. J. Moses Malone hung on too long that people forget that he was a 3 Time MVP and not some guy that hardly played with the Bucks and Spurs in the 90's.
    Good mail day today and decent night at Dodger Stadium last night...

ADDED:
    FB HOFer Sonny Jurgensen RC (Private Signing)
    FB HOFer Kenny Houston RC (Private Signing)
    BKB HOFer John Havlicek 71 Topps (Private Signing)

Next, I purchased two 1969 basketball cards that are slightly more difficult to find than most. Herm Gilliam has passed away and Wali Jones doesn't seem to show up anywhere or sign TTM. That now puts me at 73/98 on the set. Starting to get really difficult now.

Also, at Dodger stadium last night I was fortunate enough to pick up Wilson Ramos on a 2011 Topps Heritage and finally got Livan Hernandez (who was REALLY cool by the way) to sign my '97 WS ball. I didn't ask for the inscription. He just did it because he rules.

• That is one awesome Wali Jones, where you did get that one?
    The Sonny Jurgensen is also very awesome.
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Damn, those Gilliam, and Jones are sick!! Please let me knos if you ever come across those again. IF you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for those two cards? btw, the Jurgenson is sweeeeet! I whish I was able to find a card for that signing.
    A lot of relief in my house right now...

ADDED: Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon.

Yes, they used the regular and not the thin sharpie. I'm fine with the way it turned out. I wish Clyde hadn't signed quite so big but I'm totally living with it

Now 23/45 possible

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    That's a great litho!
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    I actually like how Clyde looks on that litho.
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
    Really happy to finish my 57-58 World Champion Celtics Yearbook with Tommy Heinsohn even though he used the wrong pen and the signature is only ok. Oh well, just happy to be done. I'm just going to live with it.

Also added:
    1964-65 World Champion Celtics Media Guide - Tommy Heinsohn (Private Signing)

1971-72 World Champion Lakers Media Guide - Bill Sharman - public paid signing today. WHAT A NICE GUY! Big smile and seemed genuinely happy to meet fans. Firm handshake for an 85 year old. He may have cracked my almost untouchable Top 5 favorite athletes in person (Jack and Barbara Nicklaus / Jay Bruce / Arnold Palmer / Bob Feller / Magic Johnson)

While at the Sharman signing, Jay Johnstone hangs around at that show and I had him sign my '81 Dodgers team ball. Now have 5 guys on there.

• Hondo still has a great looking auto. I've always loved the look of his signature.
    Nice mail day!

Added 7 Jo Jo White cards. He'll be in the Hall of Fame one of these days so I got most of his basic Topps cards done (I had the rookie already)

71-72, 72-73, 73-74, 74-75, 77-78, 78-79, 79-80

Lou Hudson

69 Topps, 71-72 Topps and a multi-card from 70-71 Topps that's on it's way to Darrall Imhoff now.

Larry Steele

72-73 Topps and a multi from 75-76 Topps.

Local LA event today that I headed out to. I was really hoping to see Jerry West to do a favor for another board member but he never showed up. As a consolation I saw and added:

BKB HOFer Artis Gilmore RC
    FB HOFer Anthony Munoz RC
    1986 Topps FB HOFer Kellen Winslow

Also got my Top 50 Litho back from Lenny Wilkens. He returned it inside 72 hours - awesome return

A couple of new returns and a funny story today...

FB HOFer Steve Larget RC
    71-72 Topps hockey Andre Lacroix

Finally, I'm getting ready for a golf trip to Chambers Bay in Washington next week with my brother. They had the US Amateur there last year and the US Open will be there in 2015. We really wanted to play it. I've been playing quite a bit to try and have my game in shape. So I was hitting balls at my local public golf course in Burbank yesterday and wound up deciding to play 9 holes afterward. Got paired up with Aiden Quinn who has been in a bunch of movies and will be on Prime Suspect this fall. He said he was a 9HDCP and I'm an 11-12. He said let's play a match, anywhere from $0.50 to $50/hole (no shots given). I was horrified and only had 20 bucks on me so we settled on $1/hole. I'll spare you the shot by shot detail but I went out, birdied the first two holes and shot +1 (37). He was a great guy and paid cash money for my 6 Skins after the round and was kind enough to take a picture so I could show my wife and have her believe the story. We finished in pitch black so forgive the quality. Definitely one of my favorite Hollywood stories.

Spent the week at Chambers Bay / Gold Mountain in the Seattle Tacoma area. Played both courses and one other local muni. Shot 86 at Chambers Bay (home of the 2015 US Open). I was super happy with that score - I'm a 10 handicap. My score at Gold Mountain was significantly worse. HA! When I got home the following awaited me:

Jack Sikma signed two 1980-81 Topps cards for me (TTM). Hope to add Larry Bird to this one next time HOF Sports does a signing.

Darrall Imhoff completed my 1970-71 Topps FG% leaders card (TTM)

Also added Johnny Bower, Hockey HOFer on a puck from a private signing that cost less than $20 including puck and shipping. Thought it was a good price so I did it.

Finally, now at 13/132 on 1971-72 Topps hockey. Sending out 10 more this week. Added:

Doug Barrie (mailman bent the envelope - BOO!
    HOFer Bobby Clarke
    Bill White
    Rosaire Paiement

• I like 1971 Hockey. I collect the OPC and Topps. I regret I didn't send Rick Martin his 1971 Rookie to get signed when I sent my 1974 Topps. Now he is dead. 1971 is probably the greatest hockey design along with the 84/85 Topps/OPC. Did you get anymore Rochester Royals on the photo? Nice Johnny Bower Puck. I probably have 8 or 9 things signed by him. Love the Leafs and Sabres. Keep up the 1971's. They are in nice shape as well.
    Can't thank JSwieton enough for helping me out at the National. John, hope I can repay you with signatures on those 69's!

Added:
    FB HOFer Jim Taylor RC - see John's thread for the crazy story on these
    FB HOFer John Riggins RC

BKB HOFer Calvin Murphy 71, 72, 73, 79 and 81 Topps cards

NBA Vet Orlando Woolridge 86 and 87 Fleer cards

1989 All Star Game MVP Bo Jackson signed ASG ball. Now 18/32 on this set!

WTG Mike ... nice additions.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Well, I was super excited to see the first package today. I had paid a $100 consignment price to get Tom Brady at Pats camp through an SCN member. Needless to say, I'm disappointed. Yes, these are the breaks of in person autographing. I mean I've seen worse, but it's pretty mediocre at best. I don't even think I could sell it for the price I paid but what can you do. I took a chance on not paying $300+ for a nice PSA/DNA one. Win some/Lose some.

Also got back all my stuff from the Esposito Brothers signing at Frozen Pond (thanks Erba)! Added 71-72 Topps cards of Tony, Phil and multi-signature cards. Also got Carol Vadnais back TTM.

Also added puck 2/21 of the Stanley Cup Champion Bruins - Michael Ryder. I'm picking these up when I see reasonable priced signings. I bought this one for $10 deal on Sure Shot Promotions.

Finally, added the following 70's basketball:

Clem Haskins - 70/71 Topps
    Mike Lewis 71/72/73 Topps
    77/78 Lonnie Shelton
    80-81 Tom Owens (need Purvis Short to finish this one)

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    That Brady mini is sweet. Ya, you definitely didn't get his full sig but I have seen much worse come out of Pats camp. I think you did ok for $100 and could easily get your money back out of it. If you can ever get a deal on PSA/JSA authentication it might be worth the money to get it authenticated if you ever need to sell it.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Man, that is alot of autos in this thread. Great job and sweet collection.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Mike, I think you did well. I think the Brady doesn't look bad at all. I think John is right, you can get your money back out of it at the very least. I love the Espo bro's cards!
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Brady's Brady. I think it still would have good resale value if you end up getting it authenticated because only advanced collectors know that signatures come in different qualities; the mass public that follows Brady just sees the words "Brady autograph" and salivates.

I know it's only Michael Ryder, but $10 sounds like a good deal for that puck.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
    Went over to Dodger Stadium for the first time in awhile last night. Dexter Fowler and Jason Giambi signed from the Rockies. Picked up James Loney from Los Doyers. Also added 71-72 Topps Greg Polis (Hockey) and Ira Harge (Basketball) TTM.

Fun returns over the last couple days. 3 new ones for my 71-72 Hockey set. Not counting Multi cards that are incomplete, I'm 21/132 so far.. What a fun set though.

Also got some basketball back. Really starting to build up the 71 and 72 sets.

1971-72 Topps Hockey
    Ross Lonsberry
    Bryan Hextall
    Mark Tardiff
    Murray Hall

1970-71 Basketball
    Eddie Miles
    Connie Dierking

1971-72 Topps Basketball
    Eddie Miles

1972-73 Topps Basketball
    HOFer Dan Issel
    Added Dan Issel to multi Scott/Barry/Issel card. Hope Charlie Scott does a signing sometime. He's 0% TTM.

Great returns today!

Added:
    BB HOFer Cal Ripken - finishing full RC! Love this card

Legendary Coach Dan Reeves RC

2012 FB HOF Finalist Jack Butler 57 RC / 58 Topps cards

1971 and 1972 BKB Donnie Freeman

1986 Fleer BKB Calvin Natt and Clark Kellogg - now 23/132 (17%)

1981 Topps BKB Calvin Natt

1971-72 Topps Hockey - Caesar Maniago / Wayne Connolly plus Maniago and Ed Johnston added to Leaders cards - Now 23/132 (17%) not counting leaders cards.

1972-72 Topps Hockey Ed Johnston

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Mike, Great job on the autos. I love the Orioles RC with the complete signatures and all those 71-72 Topps Hockey autos. Congrats, you're on a roll!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    That's an awesome Ripken rookie. Congrats,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    Mike ... AWESOME returns! I have been away for a while and just saw these posts. ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Thanks Gents! Really excited about how Cal turned out but I must admit, I'm loving the 71-72 Hockey. I just got back into being a fan of the game this year after a long layoff. That is the best Topps or OPC Hockey set in my opinion. It's like a studio set w/ a 70's theme. 1971-72 in general is the best year for cards as far as I'm concerned. It's likely not finishable (because of Jacque Plante and 1-2 others) but 80%+ completion would be fun. All the basketball sets I'm doing besides 69 are nearly as tough because of Pistol Pete. Frankly, I just like going to the mailbox daily! G-d bless SCN. I wish I was a member of that site 8 years ago!
    Some set card additions in the mail yesterday and today:

70-71, 71-72, 72-73 and 74-75 Topps Greg Smith (sent him an additional copy of each as a thanks)

1986-87, 87-88 and 89-90 Kelly Tripucka

Also knocked Dermontti Dawson, future HOFer off my list of needs. Added his ProSet and Score rookies

One more 71-72 Topps Hockey - Gerry Meehan.

Also started tinkering with rebuilding the 81-82 golf sets signed and got these back from Lee Trevino but I have a strong suspicion that they're secretarial. Guess I'll hold off on this project for now.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Cal never disappoints!

Nice pickups......

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Nice stuff. I just Dermontti Dawson on his score supplemental this week as well. Dawson will be a Hofer.
    New additions this week:

FB Senior HOF Nominee for 2012 Dick Stanfel 1955 Bowman and 1958 Topps

BKB HOFer Jerry West 72-72 Topps All Star (TTM)
    Bob Netolicky 71-71, 72-73, 73-74, 75-76 Topps (TTM)
    BKB HOFer Bob Kurland HOF card (I think he has an earlier card) (TTM)

1971-72 Topps Hockey cards - now 26/132 (19.6%) not counting leaders cards
    Rod Seiling
    Ted Harris

2010-11 Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruin Johnny Boychuck puck - now 3/22 on these pucks

Finally, I managed to find a 1968-69 ABA Champion Oakland Oaks Media Guide (I collect League Champion Basketball Media Guides so this is one of the holy grails). Managed to get Larry Brown's signature on it TTM. He also wrote me back a cool note. Now need to find Warren Jabali (nee Armstrong) and Doug Moe because Rick Barry was hurt the second half of the season and missed the playoffs. I don't think he should be added. Stoked to have it started though.

• Great Bob Kurland. He has an Action Pack Hall of Fame from 1993 and 1991 Oklahoma State Card.
    A few new additions. First, I was happy to get my package back from Hockey Hall of Famer Ed Giacomin since he is part of 3 1971-72 Topps Set cards and I'm really liking this set. The Giacoming/Esposito/Maniago card is already back out for a Tony Esposito signing. Will be a good one to finish. Also, over at Dodger Stadium this week a fellow collector was able to help me out and add Ron Cey and Bill Russell to my '81 Dodgers team ball. I'm not a Dodgers fan but I'mover there enough that I figured it'd be a fun project. I also got Davey Lopes on it personally.

ADDED:
    Hockey
    1971-72 Topps Ed Giacomin
    1971-72 Topps Giacomin/Esposito/Maniago (Ed Giacomin)
    1971-72 Topps Esposito/Johnston/Cheevers/Giacomin (Ed Giacomin)
    1971-72 Topps Andre Boudrias

Basketball
    1971-72, 1973-74 and 1974-75 Tom Van Arsdale
    1973-74 and 1978-79 Chris Ford
    1981-82 and 1989-90 Mike Gminski

Baseball
    2009 Topps Ian Kennedy (saw him over at Dodger Stadium)
    1981 World Series Champion Dodgers team ball: Davey Lopes, Bill Russell and Ron Cey. Now 8/24 possible (Steve Howe has passed away).

So Bill let me know that he and a couple of other SCN member friends were heading to a Boston charity golf tournament and asked if I had anything I wanted done. I said I had nothing special but I'll send you some Bruins pucks in case some of the Stanley Cup Champion guys are there. When they won the cup I decided to try to get every guy that played for them in the playoffs on one of these pucks....so I go to the mail today to find FREAKING 3 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION signed pucks! Bill and John (jswieton) have been fantastic collecting partners through the past few years. This package from Bill is one of my favorites ever. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, sir.

Added: Bruins Pucks: Shawn Thornton / David Krejci / Daniel Paille