Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL 2009 Topps Heritage Thread

Comments

• Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I have to echo the thoughts of Jeff and bigred here on the product. I got screwed by lrcards and actually flushed my hobby case money down the toilet. But hobby purchases are really throwaway money on this one. I'm as big of a fan as anyone here on this product line, and I think the update approach is actually good. And i don't think they look great at all - they somehow washed out the look of the normal base cards. I do think the mgr / coaches / teamcards and alloistars look great, and otherwise its a faithful recreation of the original.

Heritage autos have ALWAYS been tough pulls - maybe 1 or 2 at most per case in any year. At least in the past (prior to 07) when you pulled one there was a good chance you'd pull $75+ in the secondary market. Again, never enough to pay for a case, but still a nice pickup, and if it was a HOFer then you really had something nice. But making your money back on any baseball product is really like playing the lottery....its not likely gonna happen, but it can be a real blast to try.

I actually think topps should release them in 4 or 5 series of 110 cards each throughout the spring / summer / fall....now thats an approach that truly recreates their heritage. I think they should do the same with topps base product as well, but I doubt either will ever happen. I'm preaching to the choir here...most of us here don't buy any other baseball product until either a&g in august or heritage update in november. but how many of us would buy another box or two in may, july, and/or september in addition ? its revenue topps is leaving on the table.

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no idea but if you look at the auction now, the seller changed their Buy It Now -- except he raised it higher!!! Why is this? I can not figure out why he would do this but here is the ebay link for those who might be able to answer the question...

2009 Topps Heritage #42 Pablo Sandoval

Craig in Texas

<< <i>That the heck is this about

2009 Topps Heritage Pablo Sandoval #42 SF Giants RC SP buy it now of $99???? >>

>>

Here's his reply to being asked what's special about that card = nothing

"Hi Sir,

I am asking Topps about the odd of this card.
    It's hard to find the same one on ebay now.(Over 3000 items but ...)
    Let's wait and see about it.

Henry"

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had 7 of them and no reason whatsoever to list one as a single on Ebay.

• Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stoney,

Some of us do not even have our boxes yet and you are ready for trading???? >>

I need numbers 1-500 to complete my set. image
  • Options
    That's funny. I am so sure he is contacting Topps about that card! image

Craig in Texas
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    i have a lead on a possible variation sp.

Ill post the info on my blog in a few hours, im
    At work right now

• Options

<< <i>i have a lead on a possible variation sp.

Ill post the info on my blog in a few hours, im
    At work right now >>

what's the big secret?

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

I need numbers 1-500 to complete my set. image >>

Less than 1/2 the price of a hobby box gets you 1-425 on ebay BIN
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    box 21

8 SPs (needed all 8)
    4 chrome
    1 ref

• Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Here's our Variation

2009 Topps Heritage Variation
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Lame!
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    well, busted 6 boxes here are the results

47 - SP's
    4 - Chrome Refractors (3 in the first box!)
    26 - Chrome
    6 - GU's (4 group B, 2 Group C)
    1 - Black Refractor (Ryan Zimmerman)
    1 - Blue Auto (Mat Gamel)
    2 - 1960's original cards
    I havent' sorted through the set yet, but will have that done and trade/want list by tomorrow.

As always a blast to open!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Tom, Thom. Really? Effen really?
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    How long did it take the geniuses at Topps to decide on that SSP? Jon John now let's try Thom Tom.

WOWimage
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Does the guy that found that SSP get a free GPS?
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I didn't pull one yet
  • Options
    So is there a story behind that card, like was the same card number an error in the 1960 set?
  • Options
    1960 Topps #70 is Lou Berdette, the same guy the 2008 Smoltz is patterned after. His name is misspelled on the front of the 1960 card, but I believe it was an uncorrected error.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options

<< <i>I didn't pull one yet >>

I didn't even pull a regular Tom Glavine.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Great work guys!

My friend Brett also told me about a light back variation of the Hanley Ramirez All Star card, this is the higher numbered SP. I don't have any so I can
    confirm, but if you have this check it with the other cards.

I need to do some more research on the 1960 set, it looks like topps maybe did do a little bit of homework on this set!

Kevin
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Cory- What part of the country did you see retail at Target.? Also is $70 (plus ten for shipping) a fair price for retail jumbo box? >>

Iowa >>

I stand corrected, went back to Target today and it was 2009 Topps American Heritage. BTW I have yet to see a box/pack/case/ anything for 2009 heritage, this town is dry. Hopefully tomorrow my local dealer will get his case.

Maybe I will pull a Dereck LHEE or LEA. image
  • Options
    2 hours without a post?
    Just waiting for this 2-4" of snow to start. Everything is already closed tomorrow....
    Silly southerners.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    box 22

no hit - first one missing a hit

9 SPs - none needed - still 6 short
    5 chrome
    1 ref
    1 buyback - Hank Foiles

got last New Age insert I needed

no scan - cat on lap

• Options
    It has been a long weekend, hopefully my case arrives tomorrow and the local shop receives theirs as well. I don't know if I can handle another day without some heritage.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Wow, that was fast, kind of nice to see the cut from a state other than PA. I cannot understand why Topps insists on using autos like that, autos on a plain background would look so much better.
  • Options
    box 23 - finished the set with this one

8 SPs - needed 6 to finish the set
    4 chrome
    1 ref

1 more to go and no auto from this case yet

• Options
    The Mantle cut sig shows his lower legs and feet? I guess they just bought a signed photo from some collector.
  • Options
    If you haven't hit the auto yet that must mean there is something big in this last box Mike. image
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    not my card but here is a variation..

• Options
    That makes no sense....

Hanley Ramirez was traded in November of 2005 to Florida in the Beckett deal. It would have made more sense to list Teixeira as a Ranger...
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Good going Topps...

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Retract my last statement...

#488 in the 1960 set is Norm Cash and he's listed as a Tiger, but pictured wearing an Indians hat. The deal there is that Cash actually spent 1959 with the White Sox and was traded to the Indians and then the Tigers that offseason. It might have made more sense to do this with someone like Griffey or Randy Johnson, someone that changed teams last year.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Why didn't Topps make this set 572 cards like the original? I really liked that concept in the 2001 Heritage set. It seems they've gotten away from that lately.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    box 24 - at least it was red

8 SPs
    4 chrome
    1 ref - Pedroia

• Options
    This thread has slowed to a crawl.....
  • Options
    Hopefully it will pick up tomorrow, I think Mike has another case coming and I know a few of us are hoping our local shops get their cards tomorrow.
  • Options

<< <i>Good going Topps...

image >>

OMG. Do I have to point out how many things are wrong with this card? My guess is those are Ron Santos FORMER legs when he would click his spikes after a cubs win. Second Ron no longer has his legs due to diabetes, bad mix up and bad taste.

Edit to say: Must have been OK with Ronnie since he did sign the card. Wonder what the back says?
  • Options

<< <i>Good going Topps...

image >>

That is photoshopped. lol
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Cory,

I didn't know that about Ron...I've never met him.

It was a joke on my behalf in reference to the JSA Ron Santo authentication blunder a year or so ago...had nothing to do with Ron's condition.

I feel like an idiot now.

Ross
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Just got home from work. So now we've got at least two unannounced super-rare variations, right?

1: Thom Glavine #70
    2: Hanley Ramirez Red Sox #488

Any more?
  • Options

<< <i>Just got home from work. So now we've got at least two unannounced super-rare variations, right?

1: Thom Glavine #70
    2: Hanley Ramirez Red Sox #488

Any more? >>

So far that seems to be it... found by non board members. This Collectors Universe guys are slow with it this year.

• Options
    Do I need to pile on and state again that this much anticipated release is junk?
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    go play with your overproduced '80s landfill material already, hatter.

• Options
    Has anyone noticed any back color variations? Not on the card stock color like the SPs, but the ink color..... I have some cards that look lighter than others.
  • Options
    I've purchased hobby boxes and retail over the past three years to build my sets, along with a lot of trades here. Although it's been fun, I'm strongly considering waiting awhile for the prices to drop and just buying a master set off Ebay. I'm not sure it's worth the investment to rip open boxes if the odds of a good hit aren't there. The design is really cool though and the set is great to look at.
  • Options
    I really like the 1960 topps design, but I cannot justify the price with the lame inserts. Also why in God's name does Hanley Ramirez appear in a sox uniform ??
  • Options
    OK, can we just admit that this stuff isn't worth it for the price and move on? If you don't like the product and/or the price then this isn't the board
    for you. It IS the board for heritage freaks who will sometimes overpay just cause they have to have their fix.

ok, moving on...

First off nice to see that topps didn't just go through the motions. Now we will have to see just how rare these variations cards are. I could see the Hanley
    Red Sox card getting some crazy love from collectors...or perhaps just a nasty reminder of what they let get away?

Second my good friend Craig just stopped by, he is in for a few boxes, told me that there was a variation in the original set on card #110. I noticed that card
    is Cueto, so that might be a possible variation (check your cards).

I should be getting some more boxes tomorrow if they price isn't stupid. I have already locked up some really cheap boxes from another dealer and of course
    when retail comes all bets are off. I think their might be some more surprises in retail this year a la 09 topps.

Am I the only one who keeps one unopened pack of heritage with their sets every year?

I think tomorrow will be a rip fest here!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>I really like the 1960 topps design, but I cannot justify the price with the lame inserts. Also why in God's name does Hanley Ramirez appear in a sox uniform ?? >>

#488 in the 1960 set is Norm Cash and he's listed as a Tiger, but pictured wearing an Indians hat. The deal there is that Cash actually spent 1959 with the White Sox and was traded to the Indians and then the Tigers that offseason. It might have made more sense to do this with someone like Griffey or Randy Johnson, someone that changed teams last year.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    1960 Topps #110 Reds Pitcher Cal McLish. The black and white photo of McLish on the left of the card has him pictured with Cleveland.

2009 Topps Heritage #110 just happens to be of hard throwing Reds Pitcher as well. Anything more than coinsidence???

For the record the 1960 Topps set has no variations or corrected errors. There are some inconsistencies, most noticably the #110 McLish and #488 Cash.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling