Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The OFFICIAL 2009 Topps Heritage Thread

Comments

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Craig, nice pulls on the Kaline and Maz buy backs. I can't recall seeing too many HOFers pulled out of the box toppers before.

• Went to my local card shop today. Bought his last box of '09 heritage. Don't think I did too bad.

1 Buy Back. Tex Clevenger. very good condition only 1 ding on lower right corner
    Chrome
    c48 JJ Hardy
    c46 Alfonso Soriano
    c35 Cole Hamels
    c7 Ian Kinsler
    c18 Brad Lidge

1 Chrome refractor
    c50 Ryan Howard 191/560

High Numbers
    438 Chris Coste
    430 Kevin Slowey
    498 Ben Sheets
    485 Alex Rodriguez
    447 Adrian Beltre
    453 Ryan Dempster
    439 Daisuke Matsuzaka
    463 Dodgers Coaches

1 Red Ink
    Jack Harshman roa-jh 49/60
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    very nice box!!!
  • For the past few years, I have bought two twelve box hobby cases and always seem to come up four or five sp's short of a master set. Since I've yet to get my cases yet this year, I wondered if those of you who had opened cases have had better luck at assembling a master set. Two cases should be 192 short prints (eight per box), which should be more than enough to get the complete seventy five card sp set.
  • Just called my hobby shop and going to pick up 3 boxes!!! Can't wait!!!
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    For those of you that have already opened boxes/cases, am I right in understanding that there are *no* base set variations this year? There were multiple poses on the front in '05 (1956) and '06 (1957), yellow name/team variants in '07 (1958) and green & black backs last year (1959). There were gray and white backs in 1960 Topps, they don't have a subset of base cards with back variations this year?

<< <i>For the past few years, I have bought two twelve box hobby cases and always seem to come up four or five sp's short of a master set. Since I've yet to get my cases yet this year, I wondered if those of you who had opened cases have had better luck at assembling a master set. Two cases should be 192 short prints (eight per box), which should be more than enough to get the complete seventy five card sp set. >>

I've only gotten 2 SPs that I needed through the first 6 boxes of case 2. Not looking good for a master set through 2 cases

still need 15 SPs and 1 New Age with 6 boxes to go

box 18

9 SPs
    4 chrome
    1 ref

• I am examining all of my duplicates checking for any kind of variations. So far, there are none whatsoever. Kind of disappointing if you ask me. However, last year's super short prints were about 1 in 3 cases if I remember correctly.

Craig in Texas
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Don't have access to a scanner right now, but grabbed another box today and got ink. Stan Lapato (blue ink), plus the usual suspects and one of the chromes was of griffey.

If anybody gets a Lincecum or Cain chrome/Refractor (I know Lincy's in the set, not sure about Cain), can you let me know?

Pumpsie
    IWTDMBII
    box 19

8 SPs (1 needed)
    4 chrome
    1 ref

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Bought 2 boxes today ($68/box), these cards are really beautiful. The All Star cards in particular are really nice. And - no doubles in 2 boxes.

"Molon Labe"

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this has been posted...so I'll ask.]

Has a Mayo checklist been made?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think this has been posted...so I'll ask.]

Has a Mayo checklist been made? >>

parkerj has two full sets, so he should be able to list all 10 players included.
  • Matt & Kevin, what happened to the cards you were going to pick up. I need my fix for the evening so show me some scans!
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    That the heck is this about

2009 Topps Heritage Pablo Sandoval #42 SF Giants RC SP buy it now of $99????
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Hit two wally worlds and a target and no dice. I didn't open a box of 09 regular topps and I pulled all black cards..is this right?

I predict Monday this thread is going to blow up.

As far as other short prints, to create them that takes effort, so far I am seeing little effort by topps here on this product. I think we might be done
    at 75 sp's this year.

Kevin
    The first Ryan Howard autorgraph showed up on ebay (a dual with Taylor)....REDEMPTION!

What the heck happened to topps on this product? WOW

Kevin
  • parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Here's an interesting note: The Aramis Ramirez chrome card has his full and last name....doesn't mean anything yet, but maybe there will be a base card variation.

as for mayo's they aren't numbered, they are listed on the back as WME-xx where xx is the players initials. I would assume that WME is walmart exclusive.

and someone here is correct - no where on the card does it say topps heritage.

- david ortiz
    - david wright
    - pujols
    - lincecum
    - longoria
    - manny
    - vlad
    - dice-k
    - josh hamilton
    - grady sizemore
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to snag some retail and hope to pull a Lincy Mayo.
    Hi, I'm Ross. I enjoy long walks on the beach, candle lit pack rippings, and double posting.

• << <i>Matt & Kevin, what happened to the cards you were going to pick up. I need my fix for the evening so show me some scans! >>

Sorry they are sitting here, I needed to eat, start some laundry, now I'm cleaning off my desk from that 80s Recession Wax Rip from a week ago or so. I never put those cards up....Almost done then its rip and scan time!!!
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

<< <i>

<< <i>Matt & Kevin, what happened to the cards you were going to pick up. I need my fix for the evening so show me some scans! >>

Sorry they are sitting here, I needed to eat, start some laundry, now I'm cleaning off my desk from that 80s Recession Wax Rip from a week ago or so. I never put those cards up....Almost done then its rip and scan time!!! >>

can you give us an ETOR?

(estimated time of rippage)?
    Thanks
    Kevin

• << <i>can you give us an ETOR? >>

Less than 20 minutes....
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an interesting note: The Aramis Ramirez chrome card has his full and last name....doesn't mean anything yet, but maybe there will be a base card variation.

as for mayo's they aren't numbered, they are listed on the back as WME-xx where xx is the players initials. I would assume that WME is walmart exclusive.

and someone here is correct - no where on the card does it say topps heritage. >>

That was me - I would absolutely put them in my set if they had the logo. They are nice looking cards, though.
    ok, big news that you will hear only here. I just talked to someone who opened 4300+ packs..yes that is right 4300 packs!

There are no super sp's or any kind of lower # sp's

and it appears that the blue ink autos are much rarer than they have been in the past, this of course will have to be watched, but I have noticed a lot more
    red autos up than blue and at 200 in the past, that trend should not be showing itself.

Can't wait for the rip!

Kevin
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I hope to rip some boxs this week still no heritage in New England yet at least not around me.
  • KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ok, big news that you will hear only here. I just talked to someone who opened 4300+ packs..yes that is right 4300 packs!
    >>

2009 Odds
    Gum 1:1

<< <i>

<< <i>can you give us an ETOR? >>

Less than 20 minutes.... >>

Its been 20 minutes! LOL

Kevin
  • And I've started ripping....LOL. So far Youkilis Red Jersey has been the best thing.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• My inserts were evenly distributed..
    8 SPs, 4 Chromes, 1 Chrome Refractor, 1 Then & Now, 1 New Age Performer, 2 Flashbacks, 2 News Flashbacks, and a Game Used...
    Here are the Highlights:
    (Oswalt is the Refractor)

Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• So I open up my other 2 boxes to see if I got a 1960 Topps card...NO. And on top of it, I got the Percival-Escobar-Kotchman panel again...geez.

Scans in the morning. I am going out for booze.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Here are the goodies from box number 2:

Marvelous Marv (pretty good shape all around and the centering is nice)

Stan Lopata Auto

I'm quite sure there will be more to follow

P
    IWTDMBII
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Looks like Jack Harshman signed his base real one autos, but kept the relics and duals, which are redemptions. Don't hold your breath on these.

Agree with Kevin 100%. Complete lack of effort on Topps' part. I am so done with that company, and will not be ripping any wax. I am still waiting on a Tim Lincecum / Hideki Okajima dual auto from '52 Rookies 16 months after it was redeemed. I am still on the fence about even buying any new Heritage cards on ebay. Something sounds nice about focusing ONLY on the Topps Heritage sets from 2001-2009 (the 1950's designs.) It is actually possibly a completable project one day. This may be the year that Heritage jumped the shark. I would have initially said that the turning point was the 07 chrome set, but the 08 chromes were great, and Heritage update was loaded. Other than a solid (?) chrome checklist, 09 Heritage boxes seem like a good way to flush $75. Even if you pull the auto (the case hit), you will be lucky to break even. They may be great looking cards, but I can get great looking cards from a $10 blaster of base Topps. Either improve the quality or lower the price point.

• mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Remember when you could pull autos of players like this from Topps Heritage?

Hank Aaron

Willie Mays

Alex Rodriguez

Roger Clemens

Al Kaline

Duke freaking Snider (every year)

Yogi Berra

Frank Robinson

Show me a single hall of famer, or a modern player who will receive votes for sure. In 2005, Monte Irvin was almost considered a base Real One auto. This year, he would be the hit of the checklist.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Absolute garbage. I know this set is mainly about short prints, but they didn't even try to give us that this year. No variations or challenges for people who actually care about the set. If you knew that you couldn't pull any "hits" from this product (ie, no autos, GU, or chromes/refs/blacks), how much would you be willing to pay per box? I think a dollar a pack sounds about right.
    box 20

7 SPs
    4 chrome
    2 ref

Here's a binder label I just made if anyone needs one

• tillertiller Posts: 149 ✭✭

<< <i>Finished my jumbo case rip. here are the tallies:

In 120 jumbo packs: ($337 dlvd)

- 30 mayo inserts (including 2 full sets)
    - 8 refractors (expected 7.5)
    - 21 chrome (expected 20)
    - maybin bat relic - 1 per 216
    - mantle seat relic - 1 per 216
    - aparicio seat relic
    - 16 nap - expected 15
    - 17 fb - expected 20
    - 18 news - expected 20
    - 17 t&n - expected 15
    - 58 short prints - ?? must be about 1 per 2 packs on average
    - blue ink - cal neeman - 1 per 318 packs, so beat the odds here

That was a loaded case....at least as loaded as heritage gets i think.

i think retail is the way to go here for sure. and if i may comment on the cards.....I don't like them. yes, they got the design perfectly matching 1960, but the photography once again is piss-poor. Its not as bad as last year...where they seemed to do grainy blowups of most cards. Every single card has a washed-out dull color to them....like they were stone-washed in the 80s. Go back and look at 2005 heritage...those cards are perfect....great action shots, great head shots, and just top notch clear photography, with no photoshop tricks to make them pseudo-old.

By the way in 1960 they have both gray and white backs. >>

How do you get a retail case for 337.00 dlvd??? LMK.
  • I have been collecting this set since it first launched in 2001 and I have had some awsome autograph pulls from hobby and retail. I pulled top name people like Preacher Roe red and Rizzuto in 2001. Willie Mays in 2002, Ernie Banks blue in 2003, Al Kaline in 2004, Ernie Banks red in 2005, Yogi Berra in 2006. Now in the past couple years it seems like there are nothin but scrubs. I wonder if it has anything to do with the new owner of Topps, Michael Eisner, who was the chief of Disney. He bought the Topps Co last year for $385 million in hopes of turning it around. I think he is doing the opposite. Since he took over I noticed the change in Heritage, over production, no big name autos, making update sets. I think the only way to get or keep people really interested in this product is for Mr. Eisner to open his fat check book and pay the lords of baseball for their sigs. Enough of this "who the f*%# is that" autograph cards! I see it as a good thing that I screwed on my case from LR Cards. It saved me money and anger. I will still build my master set this year but will try to do it with retail. I usually go overboard and spend a few thousand dollars every year on this crap. Now I am not so sure, it just isn't worth it anymore. But I'm still an addict image
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>. If you knew that you couldn't pull any "hits" from this product (ie, no autos, GU, or chromes/refs/blacks), how much would you be willing to pay per box? I think a dollar a pack sounds about right. >>

I think that could be said about any product, right?

That being said, I completely agree with you Jeff. The "hits" in this product just aren't that special anymore. From Mays and Aaron to now is like night and day.

I'm enjoying looking at the box breaks and certainly don't want to rain on anyones parade here, but I've been on the fence about buying Heritage this year, and I certainly don't like what I've seen and heard yet.

These boxes will definately come down in price, and won't hold near the same value as the '01 and '02 do, which makes sense. There's simply not as much in them.

Just my two cents.
  • Well I have gone through every card I have looking for some kind of variation and I have not found anything unfortunately. I did notice an error but it is uncorrected. It is on Andy Pettitte's card. His name is misspelled on the front. I need a few SPs to complete the 500 card set so I will be posting my want list and trade list soon.

If anyone can post the odds for a regular retail pack and a retail blaster pack -- I would appreciate it! Thank you to Jim for posting the retail jumbo wrapper! I'm trying to determine if I should buy more hobby or retail and right now I am leaning towards retail since I really did not do that great on my hobby case although the Kaline buyback was nice!

Craig in Texas
  • I have no idea but if you look at the auction now, the seller changed their Buy It Now -- except he raised it higher!!! Why is this? I can not figure out why he would do this but here is the ebay link for those who might be able to answer the question...

2009 Topps Heritage #42 Pablo Sandoval

Craig in Texas

<< <i>That the heck is this about

2009 Topps Heritage Pablo Sandoval #42 SF Giants RC SP buy it now of $99???? >>

<< <i>I have no idea but if you look at the auction now, the seller changed their Buy It Now -- except he raised it higher!!! Why is this? I can not figure out why he would do this but here is the ebay link for those who might be able to answer the question...

2009 Topps Heritage #42 Pablo Sandoval

Craig in Texas

<< <i>That the heck is this about

2009 Topps Heritage Pablo Sandoval #42 SF Giants RC SP buy it now of $99???? >>

>>

I have 7 of them
  • He claims "never seen on ebay". There are two other auctions up with that card
  • KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen these yet. Two dual autos are up now:

Masterson/Chittum

Webster/Masterson
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>Cory- What part of the country did you see retail at Target.? Also is $70 (plus ten for shipping) a fair price for retail jumbo box? >>

Iowa
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Do you think it would be a little cheaper to just put the set together with retail? or really not any diffrence ether way!
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Nobody has pulled a dual autoyet? Those look sweet!
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's do some trading, I have plenty of base sp's and chrome available. i need the following:

426 Scott Rolen
    431 Jason Bartlett
    436 Billy Butler
    439 Daisuke Matsuzaka
    442 Joe Mauer
    445 John Smoltz
    447 Adrian Beltre
    453 Ryan Dempster
    456 Brad Mills
    460 Jeff Datz
    475 Derek Lowe
    483 Dustin Pedroia AS
    487 Derek Jeter AS
    488 Hanley Ramirez AS
    489 Josh Hamilton AS
    499 Cliff Lee AS
    500 Billy Wagner AS
    NAP1 David Wright
    NAP11 Cole Hamels
    NAP15 Evan Longoria
    NF10 Polaris Missle
    TN3 Minnie Minoso
    C1 Manny Ramirez
    C2 Andre Ethier
    C4 Nick Markakis
    C6 Grady Sizemore
    C9 Jonathan Papelbon
    C10 Albert Pujols
    C11 Carlos Beltran
    C12 David Price
    C14 Derek Jeter
    C15 Mark Teixeira
    C16 Aramis Ramirez
    C19 Johnny Cueto
    C20 David Wright
    C21 Mat Gamel
    C22 B.J. Upton
    C25 Scott Kazmir
    C29 Rick Ankiel
    C32 Felix Hernandez
    C37 Kosuke Fu*udome
    C38 Justin Upton
    C39 John Lackey
    C42 Alex Rios
    C45 Hanley Ramirez
    C49 James Loney
    C53 Miguel Cabrera
    C55 Russell Martin
    C59 Andy Pettitte
    C60 Francisco Rodriguez
    C61 Vernon Wells
    C63 Joe Saunders
    C65 Ken Griffey Jr.
    C67 Edinson Volquez
    C68 Phil Hughes
    C72 Adrian Gonzalez
    C74 Brad Penny
    C75 Dustin Pedroia
    C78 Kila Ka'aihue
    C82 Travis Snider
    C83 Adam Dunn
    C85 Jay Bruce
    C86 Ryan Doumit
    C87 Tim Lincecum
    C91 Carlos Zambrano
    C93 Alex Gordon
    C95 Carlos Quentin
    C96 Xavier Nady
    C97 Max Scherzer
    C98 Hiroki Kuroda
    C100 Alex Rodriguez
  • psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    Stoney,

Some of us do not even have our boxes yet and you are ready for trading????