Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 8:44AM

@Boosibri said:

Nice addition!

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 10:20AM

@Boosibri said:
    (image of 1808-Mo 8R)

Really nice color on that piece, too!

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 - really like the Peru coin - love the design. Anyone ever read the Patrick O'brien Aubrey/Maturin series, i.e Master and Commander? Reminds me of the later books in that series.

@Boosibri - really stunning coin - did you just acquire from or just trade to CRO?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    Purchased as NGC AU58, crossed at grade last week.

I had one in NGC 58 I think I posted in this thread. Same coin?

• Options
    edited July 2, 2020 9:09PM

@bigjpst said:

How far back? It's a long thread... ;) Did you just sell it recently in a late-April Heritage weekly auction? The NGC cert was
    5744106-011 before crossing to PCGS.

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    @mvs7 - really like the Peru coin - love the design. Anyone ever read the Patrick O'brien Aubrey/Maturin series, i.e Master and Commander? Reminds me of the later books in that series.

Thanks! I've read a few books in that series long, long ago. I see where you are coming from though. I'm sure the sculptor/engraver was just sitting around with some grog, wondering what else he could fit on the reverse.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2020 9:12PM

@pruebas said:
    This is my first regular issue (non-pattern) 4E. In fact, it's my first Colonial gold.
    Ex. Eliasberg, Clapp, Newcomer.

It's a rare issue and this one is the first in the PCGS census, with 4 others at NGC.

Great looking old gold, and a 4E to boot with the nice pedigree. I love the darker halos around the devices. Nice piece!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:

@Boosibri - really stunning coin - did you just acquire from or just trade to CRO?

Acquired from

• Options

@mvs7 said:

@pruebas said:
    This is my first regular issue (non-pattern) 4E. In fact, it's my first Colonial gold.
    Ex. Eliasberg, Clapp, Newcomer.

It's a rare issue and this one is the first in the PCGS census, with 4 others at NGC.

Great looking old gold, and a 4E to boot with the nice pedigree. I love the darker halos around the devices. Nice piece!

Awesome rare coin

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:

@mvs7 said:
    Purchased as NGC AU58, crossed at grade last week.

Nice coin !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
  • Options

@Boosibri said:

Awesome example!

• Options
    edited July 23, 2020 12:21PM

Oh, and this one. Unattributed 1814/3.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins!

• Options
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins in this thread.

Did I mentions how much I hate Photobucket. Sad what it has done to threads like this one in the older years.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:
    Great coins in this thread.

Did I mentions how much I hate Photobucket. Sad what it has done to threads like this one in the older years.

Nice looking toner!!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

@Boosibri said:
    Just got the grade back on this from my crossover. N58 to P58, finest graded for the type.

Very nice sunface; love it when the face itself has some depth due to full strike. 4R is particularly challenging... congrats!

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2020 3:18PM

Not sure if this coin belongs in this thread.

• Options

@ironmanl63 said:
    Not sure if this coin belongs in this thread.

Yes it does belong in this thread because it’s your first dark side coin ! Congrats

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Did you choose not to have the Whittier provenance added? What’s your feeling on the desirability of that name?

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    Nice! Did you choose not to have the Whittier provenance added? What’s your feeling on the desirability of that name?

I didnt ask to have it removed nor did I ask to have it kept. I am somewhat indifferent to the Whittier provenance but would also be interested in the sentiment from the forum.

• Options

@MrEureka said:
    One of my favorites. Most, if not all, 1831 CR F 8 Reales we’re struck over other coins. In this case, the earlier piece had been countermarked by the Army of the North during the Mexican War for Independence. No doubt unique, and the most dramatically visible undertype for the entire issue.

That's quite an incredible combination, Andy.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    One of my favorites. Most, if not all, 1831 CR F 8 Reales we’re struck over other coins. In this case, the earlier piece had been countermarked by the Army of the North during the Mexican War for Independence. No doubt unique, and the most dramatically visible undertype for the entire issue.

A M A Z I N G !

• Options

That 8R is an old friend

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    By the way, did you notice there seems to have been potentially another counterstamp on the host? You can see the reverse effect / flattening to the right of the NORTE stamp.

I don’t think it’s flattening. I think it’s a bit of silver applied by CR to bring the planchet up to proper weight. Interestingly, there is a small mark on the added metal. I’m not sure what caused it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Fairly unique

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Fairly unique

Military intelligence?

• Options

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:
    Fairly unique

Military intelligence?

Definitely maybe

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Allow me to introduce some Brazilian coins into this thread.

Interesting. Not knowing anything about the coins or the history, I would not have guessed Brazil or Mexico.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2020 5:23PM

@MrEureka said:

@pruebas said:

Interesting. Not knowing anything about the coins or the history, I would not have guessed Brazil or Mexico.

One was plated in a Medina book on Latin America, and perhaps it was among Mexican coins, I don't remember. It was probably the Rio Grande[nsse] part that made me think Mexico/Texas.

Interestingly, PCGS put the date in quotes. Being that they are in Medina and Fonrobert, they are certainly 19th Century creations. Maybe they feel like they are post-1835?

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@pruebas said:

Argentina

• Options

@Boosibri Wikipedia wasn't around back then. We had to crank our cars by hand and shovel coal into the furnace at 5am.... :'( I never thought about it again until seeing it at Ponterio in 2012.

I have a Bolivian proc with a very similar obverse design, so I might think Bolivia if I came across it today.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    @Boosibri Wikipedia wasn't around back then. We had to crank our cars by hand and shovel coal into the furnace at 5am.... :'( I never thought about it again until seeing it at Ponterio in 2012.

Well guess you should have put your Encarta CD in the ole Dell Pentium desktop and Checked it out.

The hands reminded me of Argentina.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

Well guess you should have put your Encarta CD in the ole Dell Pentium desktop and Checked it out.

The hands reminded me of Argentina.

Nice distinct fingers in that one .😊

Great coin !