Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 12:59PM

Nice 4R and an old friend!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@Boosibri some people consider that a pattern. Do you know what Jara says? (I forgot.)

• Options

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

@Boosibri some people consider that a pattern. Do you know what Jara says? (I forgot.)

Regular issue. There are “crude” examples, though very few, which he indicates are early examples which were rejected for quality. By 1829, the equipment and quality was upgraded to a point where the “fine” examples were sufficiently acceptable.

So arguably the “fine” pieces are regular issue and the “crude” pieces could be considered trials or patterns

• Options

@pruebas said:
    Starting to slab my raw Peruvian patterns. Here is the 1952 Sol de Oro pattern. Supposedly 2 known. The other is in the ANS collection (but no online photo).

I don't understand or agree with the grade. It is essentially as-struck with a nice matte finish.

How the hell is that a 63??

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

So arguably the “fine” pieces are regular issue and the “crude” pieces could be considered trials or patterns

Even with the same design and date?

• Options

@bosox said:
    1908 SP64 Red, pop 3/0. One thousand 1908 specimen sets were made during the first year of the Ottawa mint and sold to the public. The coins were lightly lacquered by the mint. In spite of that, many reacted badly with the velvet case liners and most were frequently handled over the years, so really nice examples are hard to find. This example was grade by ICCS as SP-67 Red and noted as lacquered. PCGS straight graded it, but deducted heavily for the mint-applied lacquer. I do not worry about the grade differential because the coin speaks for itself. Simply the best example I have seen.

Fantastic coin!

Did PCGS force you to remove the lacquer before they would holder it?
    I'm guessing no, which explains the 64 grade.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 2:00PM

Here is another example that shows how the coins reacted with the case liner. ICCS SP-66 Red, lacquered. PCGS SP-65 RB, pop 1/0. The only one PCGS has graded above 64. I have never really understood net grading.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

Even with the same design and date?

He doesn’t call it a pattern or regular issue. My own interpretation from the history he provides.

To your point, the examples seem similar though from folks who have personally seen them, many appear more medallic than like regular issue coins.

Here is a pic of a crude example.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭

@pruebas the lacquer is still on both coins, hence the net grades. I think PCGS understands these were lacquered by the mint.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bosox said:
    @pruebas the lacquer is still on both coins, hence the net grades. I think PCGS understands these were lacquered by the mint.

I would be surprised if they knowingly graded a lacquered coin. Not because lacquer is so horrible, but because it's impossible to know what lies beneath.

As for the concept of "net grading", my take is that it's appropriate for problem coins that aren't completely destroyed, and that won't at first look ridiculously undergraded in the slab. I think PCGS and NGC see it the same way, but I can't speak for them.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:
    Cool misspelling. CROLUS instead of CAROLUS. One of only two known specimens, as far as I know.

Those Criollos couldn’t spell worth a darn. :#

• Options

@MrEureka said:
    Cool misspelling. CROLUS instead of CAROLUS. One of only two known specimens, as far as I know.

Very cool coin!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

I wondered who picked it up - congrats! I haven't seen this variety prior to the auction and I don't think it's in Calbeto. Do you know where the second specimen is?

• Options
    edited October 20, 2020 8:39AM

@TwoKopeiki said:

@MrEureka said:

I wondered who picked it up - congrats! I haven't seen this variety prior to the auction and I don't think it's in Calbeto. Do you know where the second specimen is?

The first specimen showed up in 1991 at the Ponterio Viceroy Amat sale and to my knowledge has not been seen since. They appear to be different coins.

It is not in Calberto nor any other auction I have checked outside of Amat.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@MrEureka said:

Not sure, but I could probably make a pretty good guess.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

A lustrous common date 8R that's getting ready to be packaged up as part of a consignment.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2020 8:24AM

@TwoKopeiki said:

@TwoKopeiki : I love that 1810 8R - ever parting with it, please let me know. @Bob13 has a great eye for quality! :heart: >

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

Hey, looks like i'm adding a US coin to the collection.

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:
    Recent additions

That Peru 2R was my first Portrait coin that I owned, maybe 6-7 years ago. It has had a few owners since.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@JohnnyCache said:
    Recent additions

That Peru 2R was my first Portrait coin that I owned, maybe 6-7 years ago. It has had a few owners since.

You have impeccable taste and some of the finest Spanish colonial coins that I've had the pleasure of viewing online.

I didn't know that two out of three recent coins I've purchased had been yours originally but I'm actually thrilled to add to my growing collection of coins with the Boosibri provenance and it helps convince me that my eye for quality, specifically within my budget, is improving.

Sometimes a person might be hesitant to pickup another collector's cast off's but clearly not in your case, I'm happy to get all I can. *At least the ones I can afford.

• Options

@Abuelo said:

@Abuelo said:
    And this Thursday's coin. The Emperor is in the house...

This if I recall correctly @JohnnyCache this one is also pedigrees to @Boosibri but now is mine. I think he has owned coins that many of us have now.

Yes I owned that coin at one time. So did @OriginalDan

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Here's one I've had a while. Pretty much an impossible type in this grade. Ex: Huntington.

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/u6/8qkg1ijiu3rz.png ""

>
    That is a very nice Guatemala 1 Real. Very difficult to find in such a nice condition (and without a hole!)

• Options

Perhaps conservatively graded as well depending on how much of that weakness is strike or die issues vs wear.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Tin Farthing from King James II from 1684. It’s probably a river mud recovery.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dinga Dang.......592 new posts since my last visit...........it's gonna take weeks just to wait for all the new eye candy to load.............But it's all worth it as N/S AC Thursday is my FAVORITE Thread of all the Forums on CU

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

@OldEastside said:
    Dinga Dang.......592 new posts since my last visit...........it's gonna take weeks just to wait for all the new eye candy to load.............But it's all worth it as N/S AC Thursday is my FAVORITE Thread of all the Forums on CU

Steve

Welcome back!

• Options

Nice wholesome 4R - what's not to like?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Nice wholesome 4R - what's not to like?

I was just joking a bit, tongue-in-cheek, in contrast to the very nice 8R you had posted just previous to me. I always hate going next after such coins, and lately there have been many nice ones.

• Options
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2020 11:22PM

@Boosibri said:
    You are on a roll @JohnnyCache

@Boosibri I guess you could call it a roll. Though to be honest I think it's more about me trying to keep my mind off of all things political or covid related. While staying isolated and distanced, do to hereditary health issues, I have immersed myself, given all of this additional free time, into searching, studying and, in some cases, buying coins. The most valuable thing I've learned throughout this terrible experience is that I'll never waste time again, at least not to the extent that it can be helped. Time really is the most precious thing. Oh, and also that I really love coins.

• Options

@jgenn is that 3 over another digit, or just repunched?