Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:

I would send it back to PCGS to correct the attribution. It's an 1802 FT/M variety (PCGS#263357) and there's only one other certified - also an XF45.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 12:56PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I would send it back to PCGS to correct the attribution. It's an 1802 FT/M variety (PCGS#263357) and there's only one other certified - also an XF45.

Thanks for that! It wouldn't have even occurred to me. I just bought it as a type coin because it matches the look/grade of my only pillar real (ex. @Boosibri actually before he upgraded to his monster 66).

• Options

No worries. It's a small distinction that really only matters to registry players and variety collectors, but something that PCGS should correct gratis.

• Options

That's a neat one, Jack!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow @TwoKopeiki !

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Not putting grades down because it's not about the numbers, but if you're curious, the cert number is part of the image link.

The grades don’t matter. Those are nice coins!

• Options

@TwoKopeiki - great set of new additions!

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the Charles III pieces!!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2019 6:33AM

@jgenn Nice Bank Dollar, Jack!

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2019 3:03PM

Saw it just sold on CRO. Wondered to whom.
    Nice coin!> @Boosibri said:

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

Very nice strike on that 4R!

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

Finest graded Bolivian 4R to go with my finest traded Mexican 4R. A set in the making.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2019 9:14PM

Last appearance of the Carlos III bust on 8 reales, Lima mint.

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 10:07AM

100 Bolivares 1888. Tough type (struck only 1886-1889) this nice in general, but for this date pop is NGC 1/0, PCGS 0/0.
    Only small bag marks on obverse, solid for grade, pretty coin with an unusually strong strike.
    I don't know why this type normally has central weakness; until I saw this one I never knew it has vertical die polish .

• Options
    edited April 20, 2019 1:01AM

El Salvador 1942 1c. First year of bronze centavos (previously copper-nickel) in El Salvador. Early El Salvadorian bronze centavos are getting hard to find in high grade RD. Minted in Philadelphia. PCGS MS65RD (1/0).

• Options

1815 Durango 8 Reales

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    1815 Durango 8 Reales

Reminds me of those “Pinterest Fail” examples. Nailed it!

You getting into a new area here?

• Options

@OriginalDan said:

>

Reminds me of those “Pinterest Fail” examples. Nailed it!

You getting into a new area here?

Old area for me. I started with War for Independence provisional mints, at first, before getting frustrated with trying to certify them. Should have never even tried doing that. In any case, not going back to that collecting area, just something picked up cheap for a quick Ebay flip to keep the numismatic itch at bay.

• Options
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki looks like your 8 reales from Durango made it to a Facebook group...

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @TwoKopeiki looks like your 8 reales from Durango made it to a Facebook group...

Thanks for the heads-up!

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Finest graded Bolivian 4R to go with my finest traded Mexican 4R. A set in the making.

I was watching this coin when offered by Stack's last year but was not following the auction live.

This probably means you will outbid me on the 1761 PCGS MS-62 Peru 4R if ever offered for sale. That's a coin I would really like to own which I presume is Ex-Patterson.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

Saw this coin on CRO too. Conservatively graded in my opinion.

• Options

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

I was watching this coin when offered by Stack's last year but was not following the auction live.

This probably means you will outbid me on the 1761 PCGS MS-62 Peru 4R if ever offered for sale. That's a coin I would really like to own which I presume is Ex-Patterson.

Great minds! Waiting for it to be offered

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

You'll easily outbid me if you want it badly enough.

There are also several high grade examples of other dates included as plate coins in Gilboy, but I don't know how any compare to this coin. My current consolation prize to the 1761 is the 1767 NGC AU-55 though I don't know what it looks like. The best one I own now is the 1770 NGC AU-53 which sold in the same auction as your 1770 PTS.

• Options

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

There are also several high grade examples of other dates included as plate coins in Gilboy, but I don't know how any compare to this coin. My current consolation prize to the 1761 is the 1767 NGC AU-55 though I don't know what it looks like. The best one I own now is the 1770 NGC AU-53 which sold in the same auction as your 1770 PTS.

I'd love to see pictures!

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

I'd love to see pictures!

Sorry, I do not have one but included the link below. To me, the field clutter isn't as noticeable as in the larger image which is my explanation for the low price. The color and detail are representative. It isn't quite as nice as the image in the holder.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-BGJGV/peru-4-reales-1770-jm-lima-mint-charles-iii-1759-88-ngc-au-53

Also, here is the link to the lot I just won, though not received yet.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-IW7JI/bolivia-2-reales-1770-pts-jr-potosi-mint-charles-iii-pcgs-au-50-gold-shield

• Options

@bigjpst That's a great Chihuahua piece. Love the 8R, as well.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet coins @ bigjpst!

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    here is a interesting nickel coin from the "Dark Side".
    Yes, it's only Nickel, but ???
    ICCS graded MS 60
    Does anyone recognize it?

The NZ-CA mule. Look's like it got circulated a bit in one place or the other.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

North of the border Dollar!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.